'18/19 NBA/NBL fantasy chatter

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by anthak, Oct 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

We can use this thread for chatter through the season

2. Rad_E_Cool

Rad_E_Cool Active Member

Epic and super informative NBA Almanac here

3. anthak

Awesome, thanks for sharing. After reading last season’s, i was looking forward to this

4. James84

James84 Well-Known Member

So are people happy with their drafts?

• Like Like x 1
  5. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Really Happy with my draft in Div 1.... Had Pick 2 and I cant remember having such a high pick. Used it to grab AD and really happy as long as he plays 65+ games.. Made a reach for Joey Ingles at 71 but I have noticed how solid he has been last 3 seasons and most successful teams have had him so took the plunge early.. If you don't have Caris LaVert, just fold your team now, he is gonna be a Jet!!!
    Doncic and Jaren Jackson Jr will be awesome rookies and may even take the crown of Ayton...

On a side note had a bit of a play around with stats in Excel.. Put the Greek Freak against AD in their first games.
    And to some things up a FG% and FT% below 66% will just simply reduce a players output.. Only if a player is shooting 3's can they regain some pts here… But at 66% FT and FG%'s only Points made are the addition Factor...
    I think a FG of 66% is a bit of a reach for any NBA player to achieve...
    Imagine D'Andre Jordan has a monster day of FGM=15, FGA=17 TO=3 BLK=6 OREB=6 DREB=25 AST=4 and before they start the Hack a centre game he was shooting FTM=1 FTA=4.. But it then continues down the stretch to be FTM=2 FTA=16
    His score very quickly goes from 86FP to 66FP. So I guess if ya gonna pick up a player make sure they can shoot..
    If they also have multiple turnovers as these are the real killer to all progressive stats by weight a similar stat line can go from great to mediocre very quickly..

They new system is gonna take a while to get used to and I'm not complaining.. It is going to bring into play some "BIT" Players who on a game by game basis may only play 8-20 minutes but can hit FIRE in those stretches and have a massive impact on the Day to Day play..

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rad_E_Cool

Rad_E_Cool Active Member

It's amazing that with the changes to the ESPN Fantasy website, including the loss of things like the FantasyCast, Trading Block, Daily Leaders etc., that they have not even fixed things like the score applied when players foul out - they still given multiple values for DQ!

• Like Like x 2
  7. anthak

Hey mate, yeah, I’m reasonably happy with my drafting.
    Looking at the other drafts, I went a bit high on some of my guys, but I’m happy to have landed them for the most part.
    I’ve taken a few risky players so I hope they work out.

My first aim was to take the best available player with my first 4 picks. I was stoked to get Ben Simmons at 16 because I didn’t think he’d last that long. I was spuing none of the top 8 fell to me, because I thought they were a clear top 8. Lillard was my pick at 9, who I think will be solid.
    3rd & 4th picks were Whiteside and Adams. Both were slightly high compared to other drafts, but I’m comfortable selecting them up there. Whiteside was a bit of a risk, but if given the minutes he could be huge!

After the first 4 picks, I wanted to make sure I got some decent enough forwards before they ran out, and I grabbed two very risky options in Rudy Gay and Danilo Gallinari. I think they should score well, but I just hope they both stay healthy. I took them both really early compared to the other three drafts.

My next aim was to take a SG with pick #81, and I was hoping for either Nic Batum or Jeremy Lamb, so I was stoked both were still available, and I went with Batum.

My 10yo daughter sat with me through the draft and “helped” me a bit (she convinced me to take Gallinari when I did), and she tried extremely hard to get me to take Joe Ingles at both 81 and 88. But I didn’t listen to her. I stuck to my plan of targeting a SG at 81, and then I couldn’t resist picking JaVale McGee at 88. I really wanted McGee and I was worried someone else would get him, so I took my opportunity at 88 and immediately regretted it! Lol

Joe Ingles was snapped up before my next pick, and he looks like a good one the way he’s started the season!! And McGee, I probably coulda got him later, considering he wasn’t even drafted at all in the other 3 leagues.

For my last 5 picks, I was hoping to get Derrick White for my IR and take a flyer on Fultz late, which I managed to do both. I later dropped Fultz after his first dud game!

I only had 1 SG when it came to my last pick, so I picked the best SG remaining with that, ETwan Moore.

Other two players picked, not mentioned above, were Favors and Schroder. Who knows how they’ll turn out, could go either way, but shouldn’t be too bad.

I’m interested to hear how everyone else went too?

Did anyone have any specific strategies?

8. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Watching something special here.... Jokic with a Triple double in the 4th qtr and shooting at 100% from the field.. only missed one free throw. Monster score coming up!!!

9. dabombers

dabombers Active Member

Think we are going to see the ceiling of our new pts scoring system right here!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. anthak

Wow, what a game! First player since Wilt Chamberlain to put up a line like that!!

11. stowie

stowie Moderator

Drafted Lebron, never had a pick as high as 4th and first time owning him in Fantasy, had to do it at least once!

Team seems to be coming together OK, getting smacked by a rampaging Kings of @karlos this week though!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

Very happy with drafting Kemba with my 2nd pick. He was always going to tear it up this season in a contract year. So far so good.

The rest of my team is doing ok. Barton going down will hurt but I will stash him on IR until he comes back.

How bad are the Cavs? I doubt they will win more than 10 games this year.

13. anthak

This new ESPN website is still so shit. I keep hoping they fix it up, but it’s not happening

I just spent 10min before lockout trying to add a player but it continually wouldn’t load properly. I tried several times and I couldn’t get it done in time, so I missed the player.

14. Rad_E_Cool

Rad_E_Cool Active Member

Has anyone tried complaining to ESPN? Just wondering as I realised I'm one of those guys that waits for stuff to get sorted but doesn't tell them that it needs sorting o_O. May need to do it if others haven't already.

• Like Like x 1
  15. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Damn. Wish I went LeBron over Towns at 4. KAT has been junk in this format.

16. anthak

Yeah, I just assume somebody else will complain haha

17. anthak

@HEAVER & @karlos having a great game in premier division this week. Definitely look to be two of the best teams in the league.

18. anthak

Hey mate, I think it’s more that KAT is playing worse this season, and also playing less minutes.

Last season’s averages:
    35.6mpg, 21.3ppg, 54%fg, 12.3rpg, 2.4apg, 0.8spg, 1.4bpg, 1.9tpg.

This season so far, only 5 games:
    31.8mpg, 16.4ppg, 42%fg, 9.2rpg, 1.6apg, 0.4spg, 2.0bpg, 2.8tpg.

Quite a big drop-off. Luckily for you he’s got plenty of time still to turn it around!

19. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah here’s hoping.
    Saw that fg% drop which doesn’t help. Any reason why he’s getting less minutes? Wolves def under the pump.

20. anthak

I’m not really sure, maybe Jimmy Butler is getting to him!
    I noticed he played his 6th game today and it was arguably his worst of the young season.

• Like Like x 1