'18/19 NBA/NBL fantasy chatter

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by anthak, Oct 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rodgo

rodgo New Member

ok guys, here are my thoughts on this year so far. Well the new scoring system was a huge surprise but like any change things take time to get used to. Having only the stars now providing consistent nice scores i think is a good thing but unless you been in a situation like mine which involves constant FA pickups you might not realise the down side of the new scoring system. As most seasons trading is minimal in our leagues so you have to have a solid draft and hope for the few nice FA pickups throughout the year. To make things a little clearer let me outline my draft.

pick1 - LeBron
    pick2 - Embiid
    pick3 - KLove
    pick4 - Dragic
    pick5 - Dwight
    pick6 - Elfrid Payton

lets just focus on these 6 core players for now. So Lebron has been out since christmas, Embiid is a beast, Klove out since start of season, Dragic out since start of season, Dwight out since start season, Payton out since start season and came back as a spud. I have busted ass working the FA and tried everything to get players on the court but with the new scoring system it is just not possible to be competitive. I know people got frustrated last year when lower ranked players had decent games and scored some nice numbers but i dont think i have scored 1000 all year and it is not due to lack of effort. All the free agents available you are lucky to get 1 x 20pnt game out of them then they back to single digits or if you real lucky negative scores. I really think we should stick with the default scoring system next season just so you can be competitive when players get injurred. Good luck for finals..................

Rodgo

• Like Like x 1
  2. tasho

tasho Member

I don’t see it like that. You would still be at a disadvantage. You’ve been extremely unlucky but even with the scoring system from last year it wouldn’t have worked because even though you would have scored more, so would everyone else. The system isn’t really much different to last year, just all scores are lower than what they were. 20 points is like last years 30 but every player has the same scoring system so it’s all very much the same

• Like Like x 1
  3. rodgo

rodgo New Member

Its more about the skill of working the FA and picking up players that can score points. The stars will always score but picking up bench players at the right time or working the games played is a skill. That skill is lost when a free agent scores 30pnts over 4 games.

4. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Hey mate, looks like you had a lot of bad luck with injury which would’ve been tough to cover under any scoring system.
    I agree it would’ve been hard for you to find enough quality FAs with the amount of injuries you had. But I don’t think that’s related to scoring system. There have been plenty of coaches in previous seasons who’ve copped similar extreme injury crisis and not been able to get out of it with free agents.

In regards to streaming, I think it required a little more skill this season than usual, because in years past, you could pretty much choose the player who’d play most minutes and know their fpts would accumulate, but this year I know I was needing to put more thought into it.

Looking around the rosters in the leagues there were lots and lots of good free agent pickups over the season.

5. tasho

tasho Member

It’s still about picking the right players and sticking by them even when playing poorly. For instance I’m the second highest scorer in our league for the season and I have six players picked up as free agents.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rodgo

rodgo New Member

Does the Rule still exist if you win the consolation bracket you dont get demoted? Looks like i will have to do this the hard way :) Once Klove and his little Bitch Toe gets back its on!

• Like Like x 1
  7. anthak

Yeah mate :) , still the same rule, you’ve gotta win all 3 games

8. anthak

Hi all, it turns out that this change did take effect for the current matchup! It must’ve just taken a day to reflect the change.

I’ve just changed all the leagues, so we’ll all get 15 acquisitions for this matchup.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rad_E_Cool

Rad_E_Cool Active Member

Here's a summary of all the trades that went down in this season in the real NBA, for those that are still catching up with trade deadline news:

• Like Like x 1
  10. anthak

11. Rad_E_Cool

Rad_E_Cool Active Member

Going for max Aussies to finish the season, hey @anthak ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. anthak

Haha yeah.

I’m out of the finals now.
    Well done @bgt2110 you were too good for me, I couldn’t catch you.

Now that I’m out, I figured I’d load up on Aussies because it’s an easy way to keep track of them all to see how they’re all going each day.

Also, because I’d had a last ditch attempt to catch up on the final day of my finals matchup, my squad was full of waiver wire fodder anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

Congrats on the win @bgt2110

Has been a close match right throughout and your team has been far too good on the last few days of the matchup.

Good luck for the grand final.

My worst round of this season was this round - players going down left right and centre (Embiid, Ingram, Kuzma and Sabonis) but it is part of the game.

• Like Like x 2
  14. headmandude

headmandude Active Member

Gotta say that the D1 finals were both fairly tight contests.
    3rd and 5th playing for the title!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Pretty stoked to scrape through to the GF in D1 - was a tough final day to keep track of today, especially with Harden shooting bricks and returning a big fat 0 for the day, but Aldridge and Bam made up for it with strong games.
    Two match-ups straight I have managed to record the best score in the league (albeit only just), just hope my luck continues in the GF match-up

• Like Like x 2
  16. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

So much luck in this with players in and out all over the place.
    Made it into the D2C1 grannie but now walking in with no Holiday or KAT. Ugh.

Good luck all.

• Like Like x 2
  17. anthak

Well done to all of the grand finalists.

I’m gonna try to do a bit of a preview write up this evening.

• Like Like x 2
  18. bgt2110

bgt2110 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Steve, was definitely a matchup of going back and forth in terms of scores. My first grand final in the premier league so feel lucky just to have made it.

• Like Like x 3
  19. anthak

Actually starting to get sick and have an early start tomorrow morning, so need to keep this brief and get to bed!

20. anthak

• Like Like x 1