The "Change Back" in an auction poll

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by That KI Guy, Feb 27, 2019.

Tags:
?

Do you support a rule amendment that allows for "change back" in an auction?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Ok, looking to put this to a vote with a majority ruling deciding the way forward.

Seeking coaches vote on whether or not to allow bidders to request "change back" from an auctioneer when tabling a bid.

e.g. Robbie Gray is up for auction as a solitary item.

A bidder tables the following:
    Dayne Beams for Robbie Gray as well as PSD pick 42 as "change".

Will run this for a week and will form a decision based on a minimum of 11 coaches voting.

2. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

I have voted YES.

I think that "change back" is fine provided it is a single pick and not in the PSD 1st Round. If it allows more bidders to participate then sellers should be able to best achieve a fair result.

Auctioneers would have the right to specify that no change back will be provided if they prefer this.

They can also allow change back bids but rate them less favourably if they prefer.

3. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Is it meant to be an auction or a public trade negotiation?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

The way it works in the FA the auction bidder can include a pick back as part of his bid, the auction holder can either accept or reject the bid, but cannot negotiate a pick. If the bid is not satisfactory he rejects it, the bidder can choose to change his bid as normal including the nature or existence of a pick back.
    So not a negotiation which is why we call it giving change.
    If the "right price" for a player is pick 12, someone holding pick 9 can bid it and ask for pick 45 back, it's up the auction holder to decide if they wish to accept or reject the bid, but he can't offer to send pick 60 instead and accept the bid...

• Like Like x 1
  5. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Rules are loose enough as it is regarding auction, I'm all for them being more like actual auctions. If a player passing and someone wants to do a trade like that example then there's always private negotiations per usual.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I hear what you are saying, we've had them in the FA for ages, and it came about as a result fo experience.
    The below recent one here is an example where it allowed an austion to conclude to both parties benefit.
    2019 ORFFF Pre season auction thread
    As you say private negotiations can follow any passed in auction, this approach was instituted in preference to that, I can live without it but I do see the benefit in having it as well.

7. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

5 coaches still to vote

8. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Ok, 14/16 have voted.

Majority of 9:5 vote NO to a rule amendment to allow "change" back at auction.
    Rules stay as they are but I will add some clarification so there is no doubt in the interpretation.

• Like Like x 2