ORFFA 2020 - Post Covid

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Bandit, May 22, 2020.

1. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Hi everyone, I would like to now indulge in a bit of Covid 19 buzz word bingo.

In these unprecedented times, the Corona virus outbreak has led to the shutdown of all professional sport in an effort to isolate the virus and flatten the curve. As an association, we have needed to pivot to navigate through these difficult times so our essential workers battling on the front lines can deal with the likes of Carol Baskin.

Now that we are starting to emerge from lockdown, I have been thinking about the ORFFA and the profound impact it has on our well being.While we need to ensure we can socially distance, we can get this bloody show on the road and into the new normal.

With a reduced fixture I have made the executive decision that we will not be playing finals this year. We have 16 more rounds to go, and that will mean that everyone can play everyone, which is only fair.

What does that mean for finals etc I hear you say? Well finals are out, we will do an English Premier League style comp where whoever finishes highest on the ladder gets the chocolates, and whoever finishes ninth wins Zac.

It looks like there will be no bye mid season, so we will have to think about how we do an MSD, but it also means State-of-Origin is scrapped for this year.

More to come, @Jen and the FIXture committee will send out the revised one once we know and @That KI Guy will do the same for round reviews. Incidentally @TerryinBangkok, you still haven't finished round ones review :p

Hope you are all well and safe, take care folks.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Excellent, the only workable plan imo..
    Also we will be trying to slot an MSD around somewhere in the mid season period.
    Need to see what the AFL fixture looks like first.
    It will be short and sharp, a 3 day draft with one hour time limits, ideally we get everyone online on a Tuesday and do all or most of it in one night, again see what happens.

I have seen suggestions around changing when or if, the reality is if it isn't held in the middle of the season it materially alters the value of any pick traded. It should be doable to have it over a 3 day period, there is rarely more than 30 picks.

• Like Like x 3
  3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I had been thinking we should do this too. Great call.

4. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

@Bandit - may I suggest two small amendments? For the ladder to be a realistic method of determining the champion I suggest we need to play all 17 rounds (the one we have had plus the 16 to come). If all the fixtures cannot be played, then I suggest we only have a winner iff (if and only if) the top side has an unassailable lead. For example, they are 8 points clear of the second placed team with only one fixture remaining. Further, I suggest that in the event of a tie at the top of the points table after all fixtures are completed, then the winner will be the side with the higher(est) percentage of the tied teams.

I know I am being pedantic but best to sort it out now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Hello mate, trust you are well.

At this stage (and of course subject to change if the circumestances change) we will have every team playing every other team. If for some reason that this will change, we will have to circle back and discuss again.

In the event of a tie, my proposal is that we determine the winner the same way we determine the ladder placings, the team with the highest points total at the end of the 17 round home and away season. Thoughts (from you or anyone?)

• Like Like x 6
  6. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Agreed

7. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Sounds good Tovarich Bandito.

• Like Like x 1