ORFFF calendar of events

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by anthak, Apr 9, 2016.

1. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

It is almost time for 2020 ORFFF board nominations.

If we work off 2019 as a guide then the ORFFF PSD should be commencing approx. Tuesday 25th February, hopefully the current commish or board can provide some key dates shortly (including MSD).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Mike has a few things going on at the moment.
    I've updated the dates for the upcoming period, copy below;

9am 11/1/20 - 9pm 21/1/20 - nominations for board positions
    9am 23/1/20 - 9pm 22/2/20 - Pre season trade period
    9pm 23/2/20 - Delist deadline
    9am 24/2/20 - PSD commences
    PSD Conclusion - 9pm 15/3/20 - post PSD trade period
    List final post last trades from period above.
    19/3/19 - 2019 ORFFF round 1

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  3. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

@Len cheers for chipping in for Mike while he's been busy, I know he'll appreciate it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Len.

I’ve just updated the dates in the op to be year 2020

• Like Like x 1
  5. leematty1

leematty1 Well-Known Member

What are we proposing with regards to a MSD this season? Do we bring this forward to be a pre start to round 2 draft and trade period in the absence of byes now and a condensed season?

• Like Like x 3
  6. James84

James84 Well-Known Member

We should just open the trade window too, let us kill time ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. TheTassieHawk

Some assumptions I have made about the coming AFL season (part 2) with a scheduled re-start (Round 2) of June 11, with the first 4-6 weeks of fixtures to be advised by Monday May 25 and hopefully much greater detail on things like whether teams will field teams of 24 players for the remainder of the 2020 season.

Round 9 – Thursday July 30, Friday July 31, Saturday August 1, Sunday August 2
    Round 10 – Thursday August 6, Friday August 7, Saturday August 8, Sunday August 9
    Round 11 – Thursday August 13, Friday August 14, Saturday August 15, Sunday August 16

If there are no byes mid-season or pre-finals, and no midweek games to bring forward the end of the regular season then the final Round (17) would be Thursday September 24 to Sunday September 27 and would allow 4 weeks of finals in October which is in line with the AFL have been reported as confirming as their target.

The MSD is usually a fairly short draft and with advanced notice I would hope we could hold a 2 round midseason draft on a Monday Night from 8pm-11pm East Coast time with a 10/15 minute time limit per pick. Coaches are free to nominate proxies if they cannot attend.

Picks 33 onwards then get taken post this scheduled time to complete the draft by lunchtime (1pm) on the Thursday (if there is a Thursday night game for the round following) or Friday.

In my opinion the midseason trade period can be longer than a week and should open prior to the draft. If there is no trading post MSD due to the unusual season format then so be it.

I would support timing the 2020 ORFFF midseason trade/draft period around the period Sunday July 26 (upon the completion of Round 8) to Wednesday August 5 – with the draft starting on Monday August 3 (post Round 9).

If the finals are played over 3 weeks rather than the usual 4 (definitely not my preference) then I would be fine with pushing this back a week to Sunday August 2 (completion of Round 9) to Wednesday August 12 – with the draft starting on Monday August 10 (post Round 10).

t this stage I would be strongly against holding a midseason draft prior to the proposed AFL re-start.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TheTassieHawk

As detailed above a June 11 re-start is apparently being targeted, with further fixture details likely to be released in the coming 10 days (ie Monday 25th May).

If the ORFFF committee can make a decision one way or the other in the next 1-2 weeks then holding a short trade in early June might work OK for ORFFF coaches who are keen and able to participate.

Personally I am in favour of NOT holding a June pre-restart trading period myself but I can see that if one isn't held then it could be a very long wait until the MSD.

• Like Like x 1
  9. James84

Honestly, I am not fussed really, just hanging for some footy and fantasy footy! I think it will be prudent to hold off until we have more information as you say. If we end up with extended lists and rapid-fire games it's going to making things far more complex!

10. leematty1

I’d be for a June window for the 11 days before the season recommences, for those that want to participate.

• Like Like x 1
  11. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Fuck the AFL. Kinda annoyed at all these rich sports administrations crying poor and doing whatever they can to rush their product restarting as soon as possible. Great idea to waste tests on sportsballers when we'll need as many as we can get when we get serious waves of the virus hit the country (or if we have so much surplus, send elsewhere in the world, it's a global pandemic after all).

Soapbox aside, do we even necessarily need a mid-season draft? We're only going to know fixtures four weeks in advance, it's highly unlikely to be a bye period which was why the MSD was originally created when the ORFs started. I think if we had to sacrifice some of our own H&A games to hold a MSD that would be wrong. We need to have as many rounds as we can get and then some sort of finals comp, which is pretty flexible when you think about it, can be anything from just one game at end of season to the setup we have now.

Personally I'd also not want to have any pre-restart trade period, just simply because we'd get people coming back to TS/footy in drips and drabs.

As for what to do with multiple games in a week, maybe have flexibility with starting positions, or extra emergencies on the bench to try and help us all get 15 scoring players. That or just do away with team selections and auto-total the best XV scores (by position/or just all) each week.

Ultimately up to our ringleaders (and whatever work is involved on the backend by Walesy)

• Like Like x 2
  12. anthak

I think its important to have a MSD but Im not too fazed on the timing of it. Without checking, I presume that people have already made trades with 2020 MSD picks involved, so we should have a draft even if just for that reason.
    I agree with P_L that we shouldnt lose games to have one, but we should be able to fit it in between games, as TTH has outlined. I would also be happy to hold it in early June before round 2 if theres enough support for that.

In terms of the season, we have 16 teams and 17 rounds. Can we play each team once each and then have a 2 week finals series, ie top 4 semis and a granny?

• Like Like x 4
  13. leematty1

I like this approach

14. TheTassieHawk

A top 4 finals system effectively ends the season now for 6 or 7 sides - including the 29ers - and by the end of July for any stronger teams that starts the season with a 3-4 record after 7 rounds.

As such I would much prefer to run with 13 rounds plus our usual 4 weeks finals, or 14 rounds plus 3 week knockout finals.

If we play less than 15 regular season rounds in 2020 we could play 16 or 17 rounds in future post Covid-19 years to catch up on lost rounds – ie if missing a particular matchup this year is an issue.

• Like Like x 2
  15. James84

I see the FA is possibly going a premier league style option with every team playing once, no finals, winner is the table leader at the end. I don't mind that idea, I figured it deserves floating as an idea during this process anyway.

No matter what method we choose there will be some elements that are going to play havoc with fantasy footy all season long, and I have to wonder if contact sports may face another suspension later this year. The way a lot of people out in the world (my local supermarket in particular) are acting at the moment we seem to be inviting another round of spread.

• Like Like x 1
  16. anthak

I cant see how this is correct, we've only had 1 round. Surely all teams are still in contention to make the top 4?

• Like Like x 3
  17. TheTassieHawk

Its my opinion based on observing that all of the teams finishing top 4 in the past 2 seasons won at least 8 games in the prior season
    2019 top 4 teams went 38-21-1 in 2018 (2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th 8-7)
    2018 top 4 teams went 35-25 in 2017 (5th, 6th, 8th, 9th 8-7)

It doesn't make sense to me to leave the home and away unchanged but to cut 2 weeks off the finals when the opposite could occur but I expect that the majority might see it differently. Again I think that in comparing the relative merits of each system needs to consider that the 2-3 extra wins required for top 4 definitely lessens the number of sides in contention.

18. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

I think the H&A season (us playing as many games against each other) is more important than the finals system chosen.

Soccer model to determine winner is an ok solution too. We may just default to that in 'FL depending on if we get people back for that.

Of course we're going to get it. Australia hasn't had a proper first wave yet. Hard international border closures can't be maintained forever. Not to say it shouldn't have happened, definitely prefer what situation we've got but it just means this is going to be a protracted thing, and can't start getting complacent and do silly things like rush sports back asap.

• Like Like x 3
  19. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

I’ll be blunt and honest here and state I don’t have the time or head space to manage/coord any decision making on this. If anyone wants to lead this, That’d be great.
    Perhaps there’s scope to tread water for a bit and play some H&A rounds and defer finals plans a little.
    Cheers and apols.

• Like Like x 2
  20. James84

More than fair mate, I have a little time free so I am available to help out in any way needed. It may not be the worst idea that we keep playing games for a while as we figure it all out and see what happens. As long as we don't have teams playing twice we should be fine....