2020 ORFFA MSD Discussion

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Bandit, Jul 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Important dates:

16 July 2020 MSD Trade period opens
    19 July 2020 (8:59pm) Delist deadline
    20 July 2020 (8am) MSD starts

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  2. Bandit

Spelunkers pretty happy with our lot, and are only optionals into the MSD, so a lot depends on how the team go this weekend. Therefore my draft picks may be up for grabs if of interest.

Always open to a trade, but I won't be instigating any conversations. You know where to find me if you are interested.

3. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

The Lilacs have been hit by the injury stick pretty badly so we're probably going to hold onto most of our playing list and make some decisions at the end of the year.

One guy we are putting up for possible trade is old Mr Reliable Justin Westhoff. Quality and depth for teams looking for a flag.

I'm after a first round MSD pick in the first 10 or so picks, or a decent second round PSD pick for 2021.

If you are interested send a message through.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

What hours does the 2 hour limit apply between and is this impacted by the time zone of residence for overseas coaches ?

5. TheTassieHawk

The Nuffers have traded out their 1st round msd, would look at trading in a top 4 pick if anyone wants to trade

Send me a pm if you have any player for player trade offers I am not looking to do much with next years draft hand but could look at pick swaps to even up a deal

6. Bandit

Let’s say between 8am and 10pm AEST and no

we only have two days to get this done!

• Like Like x 2
  7. snoz

snoz Moderator

Ease up - a timely draft has NEVER been a problem in ORFFA land.....we cannot have a two
    hour time limit, that royally screws myself & TiB !!!

For me - that draft window is 6pm - 8am over the two days. I'm going to have my pick skipped
    between midnight & 8am ???

• Like Like x 3
  8. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Lefties seeking a young playing defender.

Kids with names like Gus Brayshaw, Chayce Jones and Davy Cuningham are on the menu.

9. TheTassieHawk

Having thought about this could we
    (i) start the draft a day earlier at 8am (ie after 8/9 Round 7 matches have been played) given we are using draft pick order that is already set
    (ii) extend the 23/7 finish time a day or two later into Round 9 (say Friday 12pm 25/7 after 2 matches would have been played) but any players drafted after their Round 9 game locks out miss that week meaning some teams may choose to go 1-2 short that week if the draft lags a little but can choose eligible players if that is a problem
    (iii) apply a 5am-11pm time span for the 2 hour limit in ALL time zones ?

Worst case scenario then is we get it all done with a day or 2 to spare and can fit in a post MSD trade period up to 6pm on Friday 25/7 with 2 years of PSD picks available via the future picks rule (all while we avoid USA/Australia trade wars).

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheTassieHawk

I should add if any ORFFA contenders are after forward firepower then Ebert (30), Dixon (29) and Casboult (30) are available either separately or 2 jointly at the right price - this is no fire sale so offer a decent price or negotiations will cease quickly as I am happy for them to play out their careers (or the season) at the Nuffers

11. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

I agree with TTH, let's try to bring the start of the draft forward 24 hrs to Monday 8am. Everybody (potentially) needs to make some sacrifices to get this done, but please do not make it too onerous on those of us who do not live in Aus. I support a strict 2 hr time limit for those on the Aus continent - no exceptions. TiB, sNoZ and I can try to work together to give each other a bit of cover; but please, think about the harshness of the proposed trading hours on other time zones and recognise our efforts to fit in. Thank you

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bandit

Good to see some opinion and emotion :)

Open to any and all suggestions folks, contrary to popular belief, this is not a benevolent dictatorship. Whatever we do we need to decide quickly however. I will also say that there has ALWAYS been an element of practicality with the draft and timelines etc. They are not hard and fast, but I was asked for some guidelines so I provided them.

Please consider that people have always been open to the idea of giving someone else a couple of picks to choose from. Given it is highly unlikely I will be participating in this draft, I am happy to be the independent party if needed.

Can we look at timelines for those outside Oz... again contrary to what the belief seems to be from the posts, I did put some thought into this
    0800 -2200 AEST
    1800 - 0800 New York
    1000 - 0000 Auckland
    0500 - 1900 Bangkok

With the exception of @snoz (sorry mate) I don't believe those timings are unreasonable. @graeme , @snoz, @TerryinBangkok what would work for you? Do we extend the back end say 3 hours to make it 1100 in Trumpland and 2200 in Bangers?

Also worth noting that there is nothing stopping someone taking a pick outside of those times, it just means the timer is not on, given the way we usually draft I am pretty confident that will happen. It's not like we down tools at 2200 AEST, it just means to countdown time gets relaxed. I will always be practical when there is a timeout, we always evaluate based on where we are at with the draft etc, and an element of reasonableness will be applied.

With all that being said, I'll throw a couple of things on the table for consideration:

• Starting the draft early: We can absolutely start Monday, but that means everyone needs to have their delists done by Sunday 8pm. Len and I have work to do in the background here, we don't just flick the switch and the draft starts. We have to update the player lists, make sure that everyone has taken their alloted number of mandatory delists, update the draft order yada yada yada. If everyone can commit to getting it done by Sunday 8pm then I am good.... but there are a few coaches who a very rarely on the site.... bear that in mind. We have essentially 3 days to sort this. Also note that that shrinks the trading period as well.... there is a trade off there, and we were trying to find a happy medium. We could freeze lists tonight after lockout and start the draft tomorrow if you want... if coaches want to waive the trade period then let's crack on. I really don't give a shit.

• Timing, happy to consider an exemption for the overseas folks with the timing, and very happy for someone else to come up with a suggestion. My question to all of you is; if we stay we our usual 6 hours will we get the draft done in time? Is 2 hours too aggressive, do you want 3 or 4? How about we have an 8 hour timer if the coaches pick lands between the hours of 2200 and 0800 in the coaches local time? Open to all suggestions folks.

• Moving the end of the draft period to halfway through a round... that is not going to happen. This year where every win counts, and every player counts, I am not having a couple of teams go 1-2 short that week, it is simply not fair, and I'm not haivng it (ok a bit of benevolent dictator there)

The last thing I will say before I flip the table is; if anyone else wants to take on the job of running this thing you can have it right now, Len, JC and I do our best to accommodate everyone with this, and the situation this year is extremely fluid. As Graeme said, we all need to factor in that there may need to be some sacrifices made. I thank everyone in advance for their understanding on this.

• Like Like x 3
  13. snoz

snoz Moderator

All good @Bandit - happy to move the draft earlier and if finished quickly we could still have a short trade period. TiB, Graeme and I can work together behind the scenes with draft lists. All I ask if my pick comes up (or TiBs or Graeme’s) at 4am our time, and for whatever reason my fellow expats can’t take the pick for me - then just wait a few hours. I’m up early anyway......only taking one pick so shouldn’t be an issue. Keep up the thankless task mate !!!

• Like Like x 4
  14. Bandit

As I said mate, there is always an element of practicality, and we especially need it right now, but we also need some guidelines.

• Like Like x 2
  15. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

An option is if you know your pick is coming up simply send a pick list of your top targets in order to Bandit/Len and if you are struggling to make your time slot in the sake of keeping things running they can pick from your list.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Starting the draft early: We can absolutely start Monday, but that means everyone needs to have their delists done by Sunday 8pm. Len and I have work to do in the background here, we don't just flick the switch and the draft starts. We have to update the player lists, make sure that everyone has taken their alloted number of mandatory delists, update the draft order yada yada yada. If everyone can commit to getting it done by Sunday 8pm then I am good.

I can sort the draft along these lines, to be honest though we will probably have 20-30 picks live, I haven't finished working out compulsory picks but the number is low.
    If this league can't draft 30 players in 3 days I'll eat my hat.

Anyone with compulsory picks who hasn't delisted will be subject to forced delists at 10pm, as @Bandit has s aid, we are doing this very tight.

We will do all the communication we can or have access to, but in reality those that frequent the board more frequently will have a completely fair advantage imo

• Like Like x 1
  17. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Also, definitely sticking to the 2 hour time limit with allowance made for our international guys who very rarely hold a draft up, happy to give them judiocial lenience for that reason.

• Like Like x 3
  18. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

You wear a hat?

• Like Like x 1
  19. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Tiny, weeney, weeney question. Will draft order be based on R6, since R7 will not finish until Monday and walesy won't roll over until Tuesday?

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheTassieHawk

I think that decision was made on the day/night and wasn’t related to starting a day early so the pick order in the draft thread should be correct.

• Like Like x 3