ORFFL - 2022 Chat

Discussion in 'ORFFL' started by stripey, Jan 15, 2022.

1. stripey

stripey Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Gumby

Gumby Active Member

Definitely back!

Maybe need to consider:
    - Average score model instead of total score (Easy), OR
    - Reducing total score model to 12 players from 15 (Easy), OR
    - Allowing teams to take free agents for 2 weeks if they’re ruled out due to COVID (Hard)

3. snoz

snoz Moderator

Def back as well……have a feeling covid protocols may loosen up Feb/Mar (hopefully anyway) based on the Croms short life cycle so maybe wait and see till late Feb ?

((side note - I said this 12 months ago too))

4. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

Not an ORFFL participant but reckon all comps need to be considering similar issues and solutions right now.

Players missing though isolation protocols is one thing in a 9 match round and another thing altogether when games are being postponed and fixtures being rearranged.

Could easily see rounds of 8 and 7 games which means 352 and 308 AFL players per round instead of 396, as standard 18 teams * 15 players requires 270 players and carnage is never determined equally a 7 match round needs averages or smaller (<15) onfield team size while an 8 match round could be looking at being managed with squads of half season call ups to boost squads into the mid 30s.

1 week call ups is difficult to manage, if you add 70 players then delete 70 players every 1-2 weeks there is a lot of admin and teams will easily get confused who is and isn’t on their list, so brace for chaos.

I reckon it would be worth one or two people from each league get together in a group chat with Walesy from now until late January and look at system based options that could be organised at short notice, which may or may not provide a simple path forward, or clear options for each comp.

5. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I'm back
    Suggest we increase list size by 6 for this year and just suck up what that doesn't cover.
    By far the easiest approach

• Like Like x 1
  6. stripey

Yeah I agree, expanding the team lists is probably the easiest solution... maybe extra ability to use emergencies for those inevitable situations where the sh!t hits the fan after teams are locked

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  7. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

First, thanks @stripey for waking us from hibernation. Reckon expanding team lists (permanently not short term) is the easiest was to handle 2022. However, strongly in favour of reverting to a squad size of 26 when (if?) normality returns.

Question: if we were to expand list sizes, do we still have a compulsory delist of six players? I would be in favour as it has the advantage of potentially bringing all squads back to a level playing field. Albeit ten or twelve rounds of drafting might be a bit of a strain?

• Like Like x 1
  8. thokash

thokash Full-Time Magician Staff Member

I'm back - have to keep going until I win one (or six). Happy to be flexible in 2022 with COVID still hanging around, do we think the player pool depth is there to have increased list sizes? ORFFF has 30 player squads but only 16 teams. I suppose at least a playing 50-60 is better than a 0. Only thing to maybe consider is what to do with rucks as it's less likely to have a viable backup, having the extra emergency necessary as well as mentioned above. I think the delist rule still may need to be in effect as it helps balance the teams a little more, could maybe ague for a different number maybe 4 or 5 compulsory delists instead?

Looking forward to 2022!

9. stripey

• Like Like x 2
  10. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Still back :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. stripey

Apologies….

• Like Like x 1
  12. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Tagging does not seem to be active, we may need another method of reaching out to people. I have consciously stayed away from social media so cannot help with facebook or other means of contacting ORFFL guys. From memory last year hornsy was the person who was able to galvanise the group. Anybody know how to contact him? Perhaps, more importantly, it would be cool to hear from walesy! :cool:

13. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Have messaged @PhilArthur

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

I am fairly sure there is a function that the admins of the league can use which lists email addresses for all league participants which can be used as another way of getting hold of people if their email is up to date

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lucas

Lucas Moderator Staff Member

I'll be back
    Prefer larger lists and suck it up FWIW but can understand in finals if there are other contingencies eg best 10-12 if there are some huge outs - eg whole teams go missing and league just awards 2 pts and moves on

• Like Like x 2
  16. Johnson

Johnson Active Member

Yep, back in again.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

Sorry lads, hadn't checked in and not getting e-mail notifications.

I'm back again for this season though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HörnsySechsZeit

HörnsySechsZeit Jarhead Staff Member

I am here.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Doobs

Doobs Active Member

I too am alive and keen once again :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bearfly

Bearfly Moderator Staff Member

Am definitely back for 2022, just been extremely busy past few months.

As for the discussion above regarding the potential challenges with players missing through Covid protocols, I agree with previous comments about increasing list sizes and also having emergency slot on all 5 lines