2022 ORFFF preseason auction thread

Discussion in 'ORFFF' started by That KI Guy, Feb 9, 2022.

1. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

I’m out

• Like Like x 2
  2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

BUMP
    Both these auctions close tonight

3. leematty1

leematty1 Well-Known Member

ok here we go @anthak, I believe it was agreed it was ok to request picks back as part of auctions, correct me if I am wrong.

Boozers bid for Flanders - Boozers 3rd round 2023 PSD pick (circa 36-38 as we rebuild this year) for Flanders and a 5th round 2023 PSD pick back in return

Boozers bid for Mahoney - Boozers 2rd round 2023 PSD pick (circa 20-22 as we rebuild this year) for Mahoney and a 3rd round 2023 PSD pick back in return

• Like Like x 2
  4. anthak

This bid for Flanders is a new leader in that auction! @TheTassieHawk

but the Mahony bid isnt good enough Im sorry, I would accept it if I didnt have to give back my 3rd rounder.

• Like Like x 2
  5. leematty1

I’ll up the Mahoney bid for a final time to include a 2023 4th round back instead of a 3rd round

• Like Like x 1
  6. anthak

This bid is close. The 2nd round pick is enticing, but Im not happy giving back a 4th rounder.
    No deal

• Like Like x 1
  7. James84

James84 Well-Known Member

I think we need to have a board-level discussion about amending auctions.

We have been letting these negotiations happen on and off in a couple of auctions, but the last update I can see is we all voted in 2019 and it was confirmed we weren't doing change back in auctions.

http://tooserious.net/forum/threads/the-change-back-in-an-auction-poll.90356/#post-211376

Certainly, the current written rules post states you can't.

4(e) An “Auction thread” can be posted during any trade period. Coaches may post a player or players or draft pick or picks or any combination of these as a package to auction in this thread. All players or picks to be auctioned should be listed with a closing day/time, and they cannot be withdrawn before that time. No player or pick being auctioned should be the subject of private trade negotiations nor used as part of a bid in another auction, until the auction of that player or pick has reached it's conclusion/closing time, with or without a sale. The initial posting of a reserve is optional and the reserve is not reached on any auction until the seller says so. Once a bid is tabled the bid is live until rejected OR deemed beaten by the person conducting the auction, it cannot be materially altered once tabled. Bidders cannot request "change back" from the auctioneer, in the form of players or picks. No bid can be conditional on outcomes not directly related to the auction at hand. Once a reserve has been reached the seller has the option to adjust the auction length, but to no less than 48 hours, or the end of the trade period, whichever is the lesser. As soon as practicable after receiving multiple bids on an auction the seller should indicate whom is in front, any reasoning is optional. If reserve has been met, the winning bid must result in a trade, which is final and irreversible unless vetoed as per 4(f) or via a subsequent mutually agreed trade between the parties (which would also be subject to a veto period).

8. leematty1

FYI - Picks back were allowed last season

9. That KI Guy

Seems pretty clear cut under current rules.

• Like Like x 1
  10. James84

They were overlooked last season I think that is more the point. Technically they shouldn't have been allowed it seems.

• Like Like x 1
  11. That KI Guy

Guess I missed it.
    Anyways, I don’t hold the decision stick so I’ll see myself out.

12. anthak

It's clear in the rules that its not allowed, but I'd forgotten that.

I guess @leematty1 bids are invalid, so @TheTassieHawk is back in the lead for Flanders

13. anthak

5.5 hours remain in both auctions

14. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

@anthak - to be clear I reckon there should no issues for 5th/6th rounders back as change (as per 2021) provided you favoured it over the original lead bid (4th with no change) and have no issues for the rule to be re-written as such and applied for your benefit in this case if the Board agrees

@James84 - i need some clarity whether the accepted leematty1 bid (3rd plus 5th back) is in or out, as i am considering whether to up my bid or switch to a Mahoney bid, given the current timeframes we could just extend the auctions by 24 hours and get a conclusion to the rules about change back first then pickup where we left off if everyone prefers?

• Like Like x 1
  15. James84

@anthak are you willing to extend the auctions a little, we will come to a decision tonight, just need everyone on the board to chip in.

• Like Like x 1
  16. anthak

Thanks. Considering the trade deadline has reverted to the 25th Feb, I'm happy to extend the deadline for these auctions by 24 hours, to now finish at the revised time of 11:59pm AEDT on Thursday 17th Feb. This may be extended further if the board cannot reach a decision tonight.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

I am fine with this, hopefully @leematty1 is as well

• Like Like x 1
  18. leematty1

no issues here...

• Like Like x 1
  19. anthak

yes, I did favour the @leematty1 bid, and I'll await the board's decision on whether it is allowed or not.

• Like Like x 1
  20. James84

Hi All,

We discussed and as there was a precedence in the last auction where change back was accepted, so we will allow it through the remainder of this auction period. The key thing to remember is it is change back, not a negotiation, so a lesser pick back to the one you are sending is okay.

i.e. You can offer a 2nd round PSD and ask for a 6th round back, but I couldn't bid on Sam Flanders, offer Patrick Dangerfield and ask for a 2nd round back to balance it.

We will then run a new vote over the draft period to finalise the leagues decision on the rule.

• Like Like x 4