ORFFA Round 1 Review

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by That KI Guy, Mar 22, 2022.

1. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Penned by the majestic @TerryinBangkok

ORFFA Round 1 2022. Welcome back.

Before we get into the ups and downs of Round 1, I have taken a peek at how the rookie picks in our PSD went. Not all the top 10 got a game, but those that did:

Pick 1 Jason Horne- Francis Nuffers75

Pick 2 Daicos Charlie’s Opening98

Pick 4, Josh Ward Dung Beetles36

Pick 5 Josh Rachele Iron Knob118

Pick 10. C. MacDonald Lefties48

Pick 34. P. McCartinGundagai70

Pick 47 Tyson Stengle Lilacs120

Pick 59. Nic Martin Iron Knob114

Pick 74. S. De Koning Iron Knob38

Pick 85. Finn Maginess Mount Beauty63

Pick 114, Cory Durdin Warriors71

Pick 131. J. Soligo Mount Beauty29

Top Up 21. J. GinnivanGundagai64

Fair to say Iron Knob got the better of the draft?

Gundagai 1357 def. Mt. Beauty 1003

6 tons for the Hoppers. Simon will be thereabouts again this year, particularly with Cripper looking to be back to his best. For the Uglies a donut and 2 tons to start the year. Not too auspicious.

Charlie’s Opening 1220 def. Warriors 1118*

5 tons and a donut for the Cavers with Brayshaw going to another level. Moving up the ladder this year with some good recruiting. For the Warriors, 3 tons from the usual suspects and an injury affected 1 for Ben McKay. *Lachlan Jones scored 73 but does not appear in Stats, so the listed score of 1045 needs to be adjusted.

Vultures 1466 def. Packers 919

Fitzy goes bang! And serves notice to the rest. Impressive 7 tons, with Luke Parker turning back the clock and handing in a 167. Ben Keays and George Hewitt were brave for the Packers, but it was not enough.

Nuffers 1066 def. by Battlers 1262

JC would be happy to get a good start to the year with an away win and looks to have developed a very strong midfield. Rowell with a 157 was good for the Nuffers but he needs to drag a few more with him.

Cockies 1230 def. by Misfits 1321

Despite the loss, Ant will be pleased to have CJ and Hall back on the park and showing no ill effects. Touk was Touk. The Misfits knocked out 5 tons, with the GWS boys getting it done again. Both these sides will be top 8.

Lilacs 1374 def. Devils 1171

Did somebody have a day out and somebody else have a day at home? The Pink from Geelong knocked over the reigning premiers. Jen serves notice with 6 tons, including a nice 141 from (never again) Heeney. The Devils themselves had 5 tons, but the mids and the backs were completely overawed by their surroundings.

Chickens 1262 def. Dung Beetles 1007

4 tons and an injury affected score for Langdon, the Chooks are not going away any time soon and should see September action (perhaps in August). Good first up effort from a new coach to crack the ton and looks to have a nice ride on Tom Green this year.

Incorrigibles 1108 def. Codpieces 1033

Seas must have been a bit rough. A win is a win – just doing enough to get the 4 points while waiting for the sick list to shrink. For Iron Knob there were 3 glaring donuts, some of which could have been avoided and Iron Knob should have won this one. Slack coaching.

Wombats 901 def. by Lefties 1000
    3 donuts for the Bats and @anthak is entitled to call for an inquiry. Methinks Lenny was undergoing protocols at selection time. Despite a couple of woeful performances the Lefties fell over the line. Tanking is getting a lot harder in these days of increased scrutiny from the Commish. Now they will have to win the next 5 on the trot to convince the Board.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 9
  2. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Nice summary TiB, thank you. Some mysterious coaching from @churchboy - is the MSD that good that tanking has started this early, or should we have better explained to the new members how to select a side in TS Teams?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

Good summary.

It was the mask, we all wear matching masks when we are playing at home, it over whelms the opposition.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snoz

snoz Moderator

Excellent wordage TiB - and welcome back one and all…..

5. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Bravo and thanks TiB. Cracked four figures and not on the bottom of the ladder - so thus far the season is a success for the Nuffers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Difficult to determine - perhaps ask @Lenny120 ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Aren't we missing a game in the write up Wombats vs Lefties?

8. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Can someone explain what was wrong with the selections from these two teams? I had a quick look and didnt see much of a problem, but I didnt have enough time to look closely. I mean at first glance the Wombats looked very thin, but Im not sure they had other players available to be selected?

9. anthak

And thanks TiB for the writeup. Very interesting to look back at the draft selections like you have

10. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Well @anthak the knobs had two injured players named on the field (Hunter Clark and Luke Shuey) with no emergencies and yet had four guys who played on the forward line with Max King (81) wasting away as an emergency. Just thought "strange", could have been managed better.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TerryinBangkok

A right royal get stuffed with frills on Bandit - haven't you heard of Round 1 jitters?

Ah, but I have my notes:
    Wombats 901 def. by Lefties 1000
    3 donuts for the Bats and @anthak is entitled to call for an inquiry. Methinks Lenny was undergoing protocols at selection time. Despite a couple of woeful performances the Lefties fell over the line. Tanking is getting a lot harder in these days of increased scrutiny from the Commish. Now they will have to win the next 5 on the trot to convince the Board.

• Like Like x 4
  12. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Jeez, if the Bats cannot beat the injury plagued cowardly lot from the shaky isles this week the commish will likely demand a coronial inquiry.

• Like Like x 1
  13. anthak

hey I never called for an enquiry

• Like Like x 1
  14. anthak

Nick Martin could've been named too perhaps, but I suspect there was some confusion about him not being available in the TS database.

Having injured players in the lineup in round 1 is an easy mistake to make, its something that I have done before. Now that a game has been played, its easier to see those who played the week before in tsLeagues and compare to the Outs (& ins) in the AFL team sheets.

• Like Like x 3
  15. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Thanks, as always, Terry. The midfield was good, but let's see if they can back it up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Added this historical footnote to the OP

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. TerryinBangkok

Well done. History in the making.

• Like Like x 2
  18. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Not the start I was hoping for; Gunny joins the list of places I won’t wish to return to!
    Aside from that have a good season everyone :) Good to have the footy back :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. anthak

ORFFA at its best!
    Good to hear from you, Heavymen!
    What has happened to the SC Ashes league this season? I forgot about it. Is it still going?

20. churchboy

churchboy Active Member

yep, was a bit confused in the coaches box, lead to running out with some members of my team whilst other members of my team just sat and home and watched... not sure how to face the press. I will hide.

• Like Like x 3