Opinion Piece: The Booing of Adam Goodes

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jul 28, 2015.

By Iain on Jul 28, 2015 at 10:00 AM
  1. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

There is no place for racism in the AFL.

It is as simple as that.

The booing controversy surrounding Adam Goodes currently, however, isn't quite as simple.

Goodes is an undisputed legend of the game; he has played 365 games (most ever at Sydney, 9th most in the AFL), kicked 454 goals (5th most at Sydney, 67th most in the AFL), won 2 premierships, 2 Brownlow medals and has been an All-Australian 4 times.

Those numbers stack up with anyone who has ever played this great game.

So why is he being incessantly booed at away games across the country this year? Racism appears to be the general consensus among the media and AFL luminaries, and even Goodes himself, but from what I have personally seen it's a lot less sinister than that.

The fact that Goodes has been racially vilified also cannot be disputed, there have been well documented cases of this happening repeatedly in the last couple of years, but to label the constant booing as racist in its entirety is simply not correct.

Take Sunday's game against West Coast as an example. Goodes was booed by what seemed to be the majority of the crowd whenever he touched the ball, and two spectators were ejected over racial abuse. Any more than zero incidents of racism is too many, but when there is a crowd of almost 40,000 people with a large number of them booing and only two cases of racism emerge it has to be evident that there is a separate issue at play here as well.

Again, racism should not be tolerated at any level of sport or society, but commentators also need to be careful when labelling things such as this as it can often be a case of adding more fuel to the fire.

I have talked to several people about Goodes' case, primarily people who have themselves booed Goodes this season, and the consensus I have received is vastly different to the one being portrayed by the AFL and media. The most common reason given for the booing? Goodes is a bit of a sook.”

Simply put, the more Goodes complains about his treatment, the more booing he receives. When he stands in front of the media and states that he is being booed and that it upsets him, opposition fans take note and will then boo him more the next time that they are at one of his games. When AFL executives, club coaches and even players stand up for Goodes, it is seen as akin to dobbing”.

Remember when you were in high school and that kid who was getting picked on complained to the teacher, who then told everyone to stop picking on them? What happened? Inevitably, that poor kid got picked on even more. I'm not condoning this sort of thing, for the record, but it is something that I feel really needs considering here.

]Coupled with this is the fact that those members of the crowd that have booed Goodes are being called racists, and their only right of reply is essentially through further booing next time they see Goodes at a game. If someone called you a racist, would you respond positively?
    ]

Ryan Crowley, Hayden Ballantyne, Lindsey Thomas, Jordan Lewis, Sam Mitchell, Jobe Watson. These are just some of the names that have been repeatedly booed by AFL fans either this year or in recent seasons past, so why is Goodes any different?

In any team sport these days a hostile away crowd is part of the game. If you want proof, just take a look at the US. Crowds are often heard chanting you ****ed up” when (primarily) opposition players make mistakes, when an NFL team visits the Seattle Seahawks they are certain to have to waste valuable time-outs as the home crowd makes so much noise on defense that the offensive players can't even hear each other yell, and professional athletes such as LeBron James are the subject of chants ranging from MVP” at home games to arsehole” and you're a flopper” (accusing him of staging/diving) at away fixtures.

By booing Goodes, the crowd are involving themselves in the game. If they can upset Goodes on the field, and in turn affect his performance, it will benefit their team and they most likely will do so. On the whole AFL spectators are an intelligent group but, like all groups of people, there are some that are ignorant, not very bright or simply racists. These people need to be informed that their behaviour is not acceptable and will not be tolerated, but calling on all fans to not boo any one player is in my mind a step too far.

From my personal experiences, I have given Lindsey Thomas a huge spray while he was lining up for goal just last season. I informed him that I thought he has staged for free kicks in the past, that he wasn't capable of kicking the goal and that maybe he should consider retiring, just not in those exact words. The end result was Thomas slotting the goal to give North Melbourne the lead and then turning to me after the kick and with a big smile giving me a fist pump. For me, this is the perfect reaction and the appropriate one. Lewis Jetta's response to the West Coast crowd on Sunday is another example of what I would consider a perfect reaction, he kicked a goal and celebrated with a war dance aimed at the hostile crowd.

In the last few days several figures in the AFL have offered their viewpoints on this matter, such as Melbourne coach Paul Roos being quoted as saying If Adam feels it's racist, well, it is racist”. I'm sorry Paul, but I really don't think it works like that. There is certainly an element of bullying involved, but if the majority of fans booing are booing for reasons that have nothing to do with race, how can it be racist? Sydney player Lewis Jetta also stood up for Goodes and stated that as a legend of the game he should be shown more respect. I would actually argue that he is being shown respect, if Goodes wasn't a great player and had no impact on the ground then no-one would bother with the booing. The fact that he is capable of turning a game single-handedly, coupled with the fact that he has admitted that the booing affects him, are the reasons opposition fans will continue to boo.

I have to say here that I personally have never been the target of discrimination, other than the ordinary. I don't know what it is like to be racially vilified, and as such can never truly understand the issue from the perspective of the victim. I also don't claim to speak for everyone booing Goodes, as much as any other person I can only go by what I know and have personally observed. I can also appreciate that racism is a blight that needs to be eradicated, but labelling anything negative against someone of a different ethnicity as racist is an act of racism in itself. ‘You can't treat someone differently, just because they are different.' Why not? ‘Because they are different.' See the problem there?

Obviously this is a complex issue, and almost every person will have their own opinions on the matter. Like all matters in the AFL this one will eventually be resolved in time, but in my mind this is an issue that will most likely go away as soon as everyone (now including me) stops talking about it so much.

The opinions contained within this piece are those of the author and the author alone, and they do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of TooSerious.net.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jul 28, 2015.

1. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Good observation. If it is racially based, then why isn't Lewis Jetta booed?
    2. martyg
      martyg
      100% right on. I, like most AFL fans, have been following this story for a while. It all started when he started milking frees and opposition fans give it to him. I watched the interview after the Power - Dons match with Ryder and he was asked about his constant booing, he just said that Dons supporters were a loyal bunch and he didn't have a problem with it. Same thing was said by Goddard when he has been asked similar questions.

So what happens next time Ryder plays Essendon... supporters will remember that it didn't phase him and he will stop getting booed.

I too have thrown a few comments toward Barry Hall Vs Adelaide a few years back... but to my delight I think he kicked 0.6 for the day, I will take some credit for his output :)
    3. JPK
      JPK
      Kudos to you BB for publishing this.

As an Eagles member at the game on Sunday, I can tell you that I was booing Adam Goodes - for the reasons listed in this article. He has been an excellent player over a long period of time, and has admitted that he can be off-put by boos from the opposition fans. I don't want him performing well against my team, and I'll do everything I can (within obvious reason... legalities and the like, so please don't interpret that comment as anything more than it is), anyway, I'll do anything I can to give my team the upper hand and upset the rhythm and concentration of the opposition. It clearly got to Goodes in this instance, and he didn't have a good game, nor did most of his teammates.

To suggest that it is racially motivated is offensive, insulting, and prejudice. I don't care if he, or any other opposition player I boo, identify themselves as being of the same race and heritage as me or not. If they're quality players, and can beat my team through their own influence, then as a proud member and supporter, I will do what I can to give my team the upper hand.

As a collective, we Eagles fans also spent much of the game booing umpire Razor Ray Chamberlain. I'm yet to see the media claim that this was motivated by race - because it was motivated purely by his BS decisions against the Eagles. I guess as a collective, we Eagles fans must be selectively racist. Maybe this would explain why Lewis Jetta didn't receive the same boos as Adam Goodes, even though they identify themselves as being of the same race and heritage.

I can go on forever about this, but as BB mentioned in his closing, the more we all go on about it, the worse it will get. I'm happy to discuss with anyone outside of this forum if they wish, but I will not consume any more time on what should be, in my opinion, a non-issue in a sporting event.
    4. Iain
      Iain
      Thanks for the positive responses guys, wasn't sure how it would be received.

Further to the article, and I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, I think that behind closed doors the AFL should be pleased with the fact that realistically at least 99% of fans interacting with an aboriginal player in a negative way are booing him and not resorting to racist slurs. Look back even 15-20 years and that's a big improvement, as sad as that is to say
    5. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      Could not disagree more strongly. Thoroughly disappointing article, BB.

I really find it hard to know what to address first. I've already started writing and I don't think it's enough.

I'll try and address some key points now just for sake of clarity.

such as Melbourne coach Paul Roos being quoted as saying “If Adam feels it's racist, well, it is racist”. I’m sorry Paul, but I really don’t think it works like that.

It works exactlylike that. This is perhaps the biggest misunderstanding underpinning your whole post. Especially when you actually follow it up in the next paragraph with:

I don’t know what it is like to be racially vilified, and as such can never truly understand the issue from the perspective of the victim.

So you admit you have no idea, you don't have the first hand experience, you haven't grown up as part of a minority being oppressed yet you refuse to acknowledge the basis of Roos' comments that Adam is in a perfectly good position to know what is racist? That doesn't make any sense.

'Simply put, the more Goodes complains about his treatment, the more booing he receives.'

No, Adam Goodes should not just shut up and say nothing when faced with racism, that's a horrible thing to encourage. You're not going to stop racism, by not address racism. The person who is doing the racist abuse loses all right to have their thoughts considered when they choose to say and do such things; or whether or not his poor feelings are hurt because of being labeled as one. There's a huge amount of victim blaming in your article. If people don't want to be labelled a racist, they shouldn't do or say racist things. It's straight-forward.

Again, it just shows the huge cultural problem Australia faces here and the gulf between acknowledging what is reality. If you're in a position of privlidge or superiority (White Anglo-Celtic Australians in this case) you're not the ones who get to define what racism is.

That means you have to listen to what the Indigenous Elders are saying.
      You have to listen to what Peter Matera is saying.
      You have to listen to what Lewis Jetta is saying.
      You have to listen to what Adam Goodes is saying.

Not Andrew Bolt (who's actually been found guilty of breaking the RDA law), not Rita Pahani, not Dermott Brereton, not Eddie Maguire.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/29064209/eagles-fan-i-m-not-a-racist/

These are the types of people you're defending and enabling, those that think 'go back to the zoo' aimed at an Indigenous Australian isn't a racist comment. That anti-dobbing mentality you describe is why there are so few reports and evictions, and why the poor woman and family who did the right thing was heckled out of the stadium (it's in the article).

Watch this interview and listen to what Goodes is saying before spouting uninformed opinions: http://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/video/401027651600/Awaken-Adam-Goodes-A-Good-Man-Stands-Up There's a lot of information and details about the events he goes through. Take his word on the situation over anything I've said, please.

There's a lot more, especially in regards to the excuses being thrown around, and the context of the situation that needs to be addressed. You could easily find out most of the counter-arguments to claims by reading some of the articles like what's on New Matilda (should be required reading), plenty of journalists there to google more articles or find on twitter.

Francis Leach wrote a really good article for SMH: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/adam-goodes-footy-has-become-a-redneck-wonderland-20150727-gil6e2.html
      Gerard Whateley had some good words on ABC too: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-27/adam-goodes-booing-racist-gerard-whateley/6650646
      The Drum also has an article framing the discussion about whether we know we're racist, which ties into the first point I addressed: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-28/standford-booing-adam-goodes-are-we-even-aware-were-racists/6653108

There's plenty of information out there to get informed about. If need be, I can respond to the other stuff (just not tonight).
    6. tAdmin
      tAdmin
      Ah shit.

Does this mean I have to put that disclaimer at the foot of every article I write too?
    7. Steve
      Steve
      I boo Goodes because he is a dirty sniper who also happens to be a flog as well.

I will never forget Goodes sliding into Surjan with his knees which was deliberate. I have lost count the number of times he has done dirty things on the ground and got away with it.

It has nothing to do with racism. You don't see supporters booing Rioli, Wingard, Betts and co.

Everyone is sick and tired of the way Goodes carries himself on the ground and how he gets away with it.

If he can't cope with the booing, then he should give the game away now. He is the not the first player to be booed constantly and he won't be the last.

8. melbandy
      melbandy
      My 2 cents worth is that I feel Adam Goodes is singled out because he is an Australian of the Year and presents himself as an aggressive black man. I have no doubt that the booing is born of racism by a small minority, then picked up by middle of the road supporters as being a bit funny and cheeky. People say they are not racist but deep down, where only you look at yourself, everyone has some form of racism. They justify it by saying that Goodes stages for frees and incites the crowd with his aggressive behaviour. The fact that he gives a reaction and uses aggressive gestures and language makes him an easy target. I doubt he would be subjected to this treatment if he just kept his mouth shut. It's wrong to treat a legend of the game this way and he has every right to call it as he sees it.
    9. JPK
      JPK
      Further Kudos to you PL for showing the other side to the discussion.
    10. Holey
      Holey
      Very well said P L.

I am from a very privlaged background - white, mail, young(ish...), although do what I can to try and understand how people in different situations may feel.

Adam Goodes is many things, but he is far from a sook.

A lot of the people I hear on the issue say he is a sook because he called out a young girl that called him an ape. Or they took it to task that comments at 'Invasion Day' (worth looking up and actually reading about), I mean come on Adam, so what that your people have been killed off, children stolen from families, had to put up with institutionalised racism for the past 200 years, I mean, get over it??

We can't be serious.

The very fact that it is racist issues that have led to Adam speaking up, which has led to him being labelled a 'soon' which has led to this booing, makes it racist, regardless of your intent.

We've dealt with absolute racism pretty well. Casual racism is next on the list, and once that is sorted, we can actually target the institutionalised racism that most of us don't see day to day, but it's there.

I second comments around reading new Matilda articles, very good website.
    11. Holey
      Holey
      Forgive my typos...male*, sook*...
    12. Iain
      Iain
      Sorry you feel that way PL, happy to discuss it though.

Firstly, the act of booing someone in and of itself is not racist. The action of booing has been socially acceptable for centuries and as far as I know that hasn't changed. As the act itself isn't racist then for an instance of booing to be racist it has to be occurring due to someone's race.

Why are people booing Adam Goodes? As I mentioned I can only go by what they have said, and the people I spoke to said it is not to do with race. Whether Goodes feels it is racist or not I personally don't think that he or anyone else can tell people that they know their reasoning for doing something better then they do. I don't want to drag him into this but take JPK above, no-one except JPK himself can say why he personally booed.

I did not mention anything about shutting up and saying nothing, my statement is an observation on what is occurring. I did not say anywhere there that I agreed with it, but that is what I have observed happening.

The 'anti-dobbing mentality' is another observation, not something I am condoning. If you read the words I use throughout the article they are generally selected fairly carefully. None of the behavior that I am commenting on here is being endorsed or approved in any way, again it is just what I have observed.

13. insider
      insider
      Good on ya BB. Top notch mate. To paint everyone with the same brush is pathetic - both those people saying 'none of it is racially motivated' AND those people saying 'all of it is borne from racism'.
      Unless the high and mighty exit their glass house and descend the ivory tower to survey every single person booing then its just more inflammatory rhetoric in my opinion.
      Its almost at the stage where you need to boo: Adam Goodes, Bachar Houli, Lin Jong, Majak Daw, Pearce Hanley, Mike Pyke, Andrew Carrazzo and Luke Hodge just so noone can call you the dirty R word.
    14. tAdmin
      tAdmin
      A glass house on top of a tower made of ivory? Sounds pretty sweet. I'm aspirational and proud of it.
    15. Iain
      Iain
      Just to completely clarify and summarise; this article is observations and opinions only, the only point that I am advocating here is that not every single instance of a fan booing Adam Goodes is racially motivated
    16. stripey
      stripey
      I agree melbandy, it has absolutely resulted from Adam Goodes speaking out about indigenous history.

Prior to Goodes being named AOTF my view on Goodes was actually diminishing due to the onfield stuff he was doing so could understand if the booing was due to in game incidents on a particular day. TBH I see no reason why a footballer should be name AOTY in the first place and personally I don't like any famous person using their position for politics but once he got the honour he didn't have a choice but to fly the indigenous flag and he definitely doesn't deserve the treatment he is getting.
    17. _turnitups_
      _turnitups_
      The sook defence is rubbish, you can't get a better example of a sook than a white fella sulking because their incessant booing an Aboriginal icon for no good reason has been challenged. Its sad that people can feel so passionately about something as insignificant as the right to boo at a game of footy, while the shamefully high rates of Aboriginal suicide, incarceration and child removal that Goodesy is trying to bring attention to barely rate a mention... talk about twisted priorities. Hopefully over time Goodesy and the AFL community can salvage something positive out of it all.
    18. insider
      insider
      Not sure you'd qualify hornsy, from what I hear you're a good bloke so that's a line ruled through you!
    19. Tylo
      Tylo
      Nothing insignificant about the freedom of speech.