Best Buys: Resurrection

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jul 15, 2015.

By Iain on Jul 15, 2015 at 10:00 AM
  1. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

The last week in SuperCoach was a strange one really, one of those high-scoring rounds where no-one really has any idea how their going until the scores are finalised on Sunday night. Hopefully though, you all did well and managed to move up some spots in the rankings, as things are only going to get more serious from here. Whether you're going all-out for overall glory, or trying to conserve some sneaky trades for league finals, the Best Buys has you covered.

The Best Buy is a bit of a foregone conclusion this week really, as The Little Master has returned to form with a 153 point outing on Saturday. His price is still high and his leadership is still being questioned, but he is also still the Son of God however, so none of those other things really matter.If you can afford him now's the time to grab Gaz, but for the rest of us that can't pull the trigger this week there's always the rest of the Best Buys to assist in your trading.

DEFENSE
    ROOKIES

Brayden Maynard (COL) D/M 117.3k 59 +47k

Maynard is on the bubble this week for the Pies, averaging 59 after his score of 66 on the weekend. A price tag of 117 grand is pretty good for that average, and he has D/M eligibility and will likely increase in price by almost 50 grand after his next game. A solid option from what we've seen so far.

Darcy Moore (COL) D/F 182.3k 32 -5k

Another Collingwood DPP, Moore is also on the bubble this week but with an average of 32. He scored 50 points in the last game to bump his average up, but due to his high starting price he's predicted to drop in value by 5 grand this week.

Ariel Steinberg (ESS) DEF 169.9k 45 +15k
    Steinberg is also on the bubble, in a struggling Bombers side he is averaging 45 from his 2 games this year and looks likely to increase his price by around 15 grand after his next game. Costing 170 grand he seems like decent value, but is higher priced, has a lower average and no DPP when compared to Maynard.
    PREMIUMS

Luke Hodge (HAW) D/M 539.3k 111 29.5%

Hodge had a huge game against the Dockers, racking up 165 points and showing why he is in nearly 30% of teams to date. Averaging 111 for the year so far and priced cheaply at around 540 grand he offers good value, and for those that don't have him he's a good option to stop him from being a POD against your side.

Liam Picken (WBD) DEF 540.9k 102 4.8%

Picken had another big game on the weekend, this time scoring 138 points against the Suns. After his release from tagging duties he has been hitting career-high numbers across the board, and is still a big POD in under 5% of teams. A somewhat risky selection, given his history, so far he looks every chance to continue on in the new role he's been enjoying.

Tom McDonald (MEL) DEF 437.1k 101 19.3%
    McDonald started the year with a bang, racking up big points and selection numbers before going through a quiet patch. Hopefully though, his score of 141 against the Bombers is an indication that he's getting back to his earlier form. A price of just 437 grand for a bloke averaging 101 is great value, especially if he really is returning to the kind of form that had him averaging 120+. Now in just under 20% of teams he's not that much of a POD, but when given freedom has the talent to produce some big numbers.
    REGULARS

Heath Shaw (GWS) DEF 567.1k 106 30.6%

MIDFIELD
    PREMIUMS

Daniel Hannebery (SYD) MID 613.9k 120 15.5%

Hanners fired again on Sunday, scoring 145 points and bringing his season's average up to 120. Now slightly overpriced for that average at 614 grand he is still a good pick, and the points he scores should make up for the small differential. Sitting in 15.5% of teams he still has some POD value, and a price rise of around 18 grand on the way should make him a strong choice this week.

Gary Ablett (GCS) MID 669.8k 120 7.4%

The Best Buy, which no-one is really surprised about, Gaz appears to be back to his best after knocking out 153 points on the weekend against the Doggies. Now costing around 670 grand he is overpriced for his average of 120, but he is still Gaz. As his price is only set to drop by another 2 grand or so after his next game, Gaz will likely be one of the most traded in players of the year this week. Ablett is currently in only 7% of sides, but I personally am expecting that number to at least double by this time next week.

Patrick Dangerfield (ADE) MID 636k 119 27.3%

Dangerfield had a big game in the Crows' first match since the tragic passing of Phil Walsh, scoring 156 points and proving his ability to perform in very difficult circumstances. Now averaging 119 for the year and costing 636 grand he is overpriced for his numbers but currently in good form, and this year he has scored better when Sloane has been out of the side. Now in almost 30% of teams he isn't a POD, but could well be a player that can hand you a loss if the other side has him when you don't.

Leigh Montagna (StK) MID 581.9k 117 2.6%

Joey had a solid outing against the Giants, only just missing his average (by 1 point) and getting plenty of the ball. Now priced at around 580 grand he is pretty good value with an average of 117, but his POD potential increase that value much more. Still sitting in under 3% of teams he is a huge POD, and with Ablett the priority for many this week he is quite likely to remain so. If Montagna can keep his numbers over 115 for the rest of the season, trading him in now could end up being a masterstroke.

Dayne Beams (BRI) MID 615.2k 116 17.1%
    Beams has been good this season, albeit after a slow start, and is now really hitting his straps as indicated by his 142 points on the weekend. An average of 116 is good, although the price tag of 615 grand is not so much, but the key here is if he can continue his recent form. Rockliff will take some attention from him, although possibly some points too, so Beams is looking like a risk/reward scenario from here.
    REGULARS

Scott Pendlebury (COL) MID 610.6k 117 43.5%

RUCK
    ROOKIES

Tom Downie (GWS) RUC 123.9k 53 +37k
    Downie is another in the string of rookie ruckman to go on the bubble in recent weeks, with an average of 53 and a price rise of 37 grand expected after his next game. Costing just over 123 grand he is decent value, and with Mummy out he should remain a chance to get games as the season progresses.
    MID-PRICERS

Max Gawn (MEL) R/F 491.6k 115 10.1%
    Gawn had another big game on the weekend, scoring 150 points flat and bringing his average up to 115 for the season to date. His R/F eligibility is a big plus, obviously when used in conjunction with another R/F, and his price of around 490 grand is great value if he can keep scoring like this. Now in around 10% of teams he is gaining popularity, but many SC coaches will already have their ruck line well and truly locked for the rest of the year.
    PREMIUMS

Mark Blicavs (GEE) M/R 583.6k 108 20.1%

Blicavs had a bit of a down week last round, scoring 87 points against the Roos and a dominant Goldstein. His versatility is his key asset at this stage, as indicted by his M/R positioning, but at 583 grand he is overpriced for his numbers. Now sitting in 20% of sides he isn't so much of a POD, but has the potential to be a good scorer nonetheless.

REGULARS

Todd Goldstein (NM) RUC 665.2k 121 38.9%

FORWARD
    ROOKIES

Caleb Daniel (WBD) FWD 117.3k 66 +56k
    The smallest man in the AFL has looked at home amongst his taller peers, averaging 66 from his first 2 games to come onto the bubble with a price of 117 grand. His efforts are even more impressive when you take into account the fact he started as sub in his first game, and his expected price rise of 56 grand is well deserved. At this stage Daniel seems well placed to remain in the Bulldogs line-up, but as with all rookies he does carry some risks.
    MID-PRICERS

Tom Mitchell (SYD) M/F 474.3k 104 31.6%

Mitchell is still doing what his 31.6% of coaches expected, averaging 104 and getting plenty of the ball. As long as he can stay on the park this time around he is still good value with a price of around 475 grand. As already mentioned his primary concern is getting dropped for seemingly no reason, but so far he has managed to string together enough matches to appear safe for now.

Luke Dahlhaus (WBD) FWD 476.4k 101 10.5%
    Dahlhaus had a poor game the week before last, but bounced back with a solid 116 on the weekend just gone. Priced at around 475 grand he is good value for his average of 101, but may still have some consistency issues to deal with. Spending more time in the midfield this season and with improved support around him, his 10.5% of coaches would have to be at least quietly content.
    PREMIUMS

Brett Deledio (RIC) M/F 572.8k 108 10.3%

Lids had another big game on Friday night, scoring 139 points in a solid win over Carlton. He is somewhat overpriced for his average of 108, but realistically his price tag of 572 grand isn't too bad. Now sitting in 10% of teams he has some good POD value, but needs to stay fit and uninjured to be worthwhile from here.

Dayne Zorko (BRI) M/F 515.5k 92 7.3%
    Zorko has been having a fairly quiet season so far, only averaging 92 for the year, but that has turned around in recent weeks. A score of 124 on Sunday brought his 3-game average up to 122, and if he can keep these scores coming he could be a valuable addition to the forward line. Zorko's price of 515 grand is high when considering his season's tally to date, but if he keeps scoring 120's then he's a steal at current price. Sitting in 7.3% of teams he is a decent POD, and included here as a risky option for those looking to take a punt.
    REGULARS

Robbie Gray (PTA) M/F 522.3k 112 53%

Dane Swan (COL) M/F 496.6k 102 58%

WAITING LIST

Nathan Fyfe (FRE) MID 633.8k 127 -37k

Jimmy Bartel (GEE) FWD 498.9k 70 -47k

Lance Franklin (SYD) FWD 493.2k 94 -25k

Luke Parker (SYD) MID 571.6k 103 -23k

So that's all for another week of Best Buys, hopefully there's a few good options for you and good luck for the weekend. As always, join us in the comments section for trade discussions and polls.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Tommy18
      Tommy18
      Was intending to hold Cripps as an M9 (currently M8) but now Gary is back it's an easy move to do this trade. Hopefully, for me, GAJ's price means he's difficult for many coaches to pick up.
    2. Jason
      Jason
      Think you may have nailed it this week BB.
    3. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Absorbing read as always BB. Thank you.

There will likely be a few that cannot afford GAJ, a few more conserving trades and a few more that have already completed upgrading their mid line on schedule.

For those in the first category, some consideration might be given to JPK, $546,300, av 108, BE 58 and due to rise some $20k. He seems back to form with a 126 last weekend. 126 was also the score for the return of the Rock Lobster, $510,100. av 83, BE 77. If he can stay on the park and return to last year's form, he could be invaluable for those without GAJ, and the risk is about the same.
    4. Iain
      Iain
      I knew I was busy, but not that busy that I missed Rocky!

Cheers Terry, both good options but Rockliff definitely should have been in the Best Buys this week
    5. Owen
      Owen
      Malceski anyone?
    6. RPritch
      RPritch
      I'd say no, but if you think differently it is up to you at the end of the day. Just can't see him scoring very decently for the rest of the year
    7. RPritch
      RPritch
      Doing one trade this week and that is Boston to Ablett. Sounds ridiculous, but I got up to $480k in the bank without wasting trades away to get this cash
    8. PaulizmSC
      PaulizmSC
      Nice read BB!

Would love some help if you can.. Considering two options:
      1. Double downgrade - Maynard and Daniel in. Wait on gaz until next week.
      2. Gaz and either Daniel or Maynard.

I don't see Gaz's price going up more than $10k at worst, and these look like the best rookies we have seen in a while. These final rookies are key to a successful finals campaign! Question is, Daniel or Maynard??
    9. That KI Guy
      That KI Guy
      Grand as always BB.
      Yeah can't afford Gaz and have decide to go JPK over Hanners and hold some coin.
      Went Miles over JPK a few weeks back which i'm now cursing.
      Also moving Thurlow to Maynard for cash generation.
    10. insider
      insider
      Is Heath Shaw an absolute MUST HAVE in the backline TSers?
      Thumbs up: Yes
      Thumbs down: dont be a sheep
    11. JPK
      JPK
      Based on score - Yes.
      Based on ability to play out the rest of the season without doing something stupid - possibly not.
    12. willy
      willy
      Well 10 trades and Gaz punching out some normal Gaz scores but my 2 targets to trade for him Cripps and S.Edwards leave me 11k short and 33 k short.

Worth downgrading an oxley/saad to a maynard then will have plenty for Gaz? Or can spent a little of the 190k i have and straight swap either Cripps or Edwards for Rocky leaving (Cripps 148k) (Edwards 126k)

TU - do the up and down get the little master

TD - Hold your trades they are way to valuable

Comment for Rocky or other options
    13. Bucko
      Bucko
      GAJ has come into 14,940 teams so far this week. Overall owned by 7.4%

I can afford him with $350k in the bank, but I've decided to wait one more week as other lines need more attention.
    14. Bucko
      Bucko
      Thoughts on Maynard's JS for the rest of the season ?? I'm really looking for coverage, and with his M/D status he is the perfect replacement for McKenzie who seems to be out of favour at the Saints. Will only make $90k on the trade so only want to pull the trigger if I'm confident Maynard has good JS
    15. rich1234
      rich1234
      To bring in Danger or Ablett this week? With the next week to bring in the other one

TU - Ablett this week (Danger next week)
      TD - Danger this week (Ablett next week)
    16. JPK
      JPK
      Ablett's price more likely to stay 'steady', while Danger's price more likely to rise, based on BE's.
      However, GC play GWS, where Gazza could go very large, while the Crows take on Port, where Danger is less likely to be BOG.

If you're only looking at leagues this week, get the player who either covers you best, or creates the best POD for you (whichever floats your boat).
      If you're focused more on overall, I'd suggest getting the one who you think will score more this week. For mine, its Gazza.
    17. Senator96
      Senator96
      Willy I think 10 trades is a pretty good amount at this time of year so the first option is probably the way to go. For me I only have 8 left but 295k in the bank and a fully upgraded team with just Houli to bring in for the finals. I think the value will be with Houli as his draw during the SC looks good to me.

I'm pondering 2 options, first being McLean to Daniel only makes 100k due to mcleans injury but should provide decent coverage, then CEY to Ablett as the second trade.

Second option is more conservative, CEY to Maynard opens up a def/mid and leaves me 7 trades and 500k in the bank but probably no one apart from Cripps to be traded for Ablett going forward. I should add my bench coverage on all lines (inc ruck) is pretty good at this stage.

TU: Option 1
      TD: Option 2

Cheers!
    18. Jasmine
      Jasmine
      For those considering Ablett this week ...

Ablett v. Greater Western Sydney

Rd 6 2014: 145 SC points, 30 disposals, 2 goals
      Rd 23 2013: 164 SC points, 33 disposals, 4 goals
      Rd 5 2013: 160 SC points, 32 disposals, 3 goals
      Rd 20 2012: 126 SC points, 23 disposals, 3 goals
      Rd 7 2012: 125 SC points, 33 disposals, 0 goals

Average is 144 SC points with 30 disposals and 2 goals.

19. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      Wouldn't be that good, Seedsman has to come into the team and you'd imagine they'd want best possible team for run to finals