Best Buys: Fine Wine

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jun 11, 2015.

By Iain on Jun 11, 2015 at 10:00 AM
  1. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

The dreaded byes are here for SuperCoach, and a whole raft of outs and injuries have come along for the ride. With any luck we'll see a few of those players that missed last week return, but personally I wouldn't bet on it. Due to the byes the format for Best Buys has changed a bit this week, where players not playing this round have not been included and a list of when teams have the week off added to the top. Keep in mind that many players listed here will be missing next week, so don't overextend yourselves when rushing to cover donuts.

The Best Buy was a tough one this round, with two contenders going head-to-head for the title and only the bye structure separating them. The winner in the end, was Ollie Wines. In great form this season after a brief injury lay-off Wines has stepped up his game and is looking to be an SC force for years to come. The other contender was one David Armitage, who only really missed out due to not playing next week. While he may not have gotten the title this time around, be sure to look out for his stats as he is in some serious form this season.

Round 11: ADE, RIC, WBD, BL, CAR, HAW

Round 12: GCS, StK, SYD, COL, ESS, FRE

Round 13: NM, GWS, PTA, WCE, GEE, MEL

<div>

DEFENSE
    ROOKIES

Tom Clurey (PTA) DEF 150k 48 +24k
    Clurey looks like a good downgrade choice this week, averaging 48 after his 54 last outing to be on the bubble and facing a 24 grand price rise. Unfortunately however Hinkley has indicated that Trengove is a likely in this week which means Clurey has questionable job security at best, shame really.

MID-PRICERS

Jeremy McGovern (WCE) D/F 444.6k 93 6.8%

McGovern hasn't set the world on fire like his coaches were hoping, but with the injury issues among the Eagles back-six it's forgivable really. What he has done though, is average 93 points and has D/F eligibility which is great for those already fielding Missy. Priced well at under 450 grand and a star in the making McGovern's 6.8% of owners will be hoping he can start to knock up some 100+ scores.

Corey Enright (GEE) DEF 451k 92 2.7%

Enright has been up and down this year, which is what most were expecting given his age. A healthy 107 last game saw his average improve to 92, and his price go to just over 450 grand. Sitting in under 3% of teams he has some good POD value, but can't be expected to score over 100 on a regular basis.

Harry Taylor (GEE) DEF 445.4k 92 7.8%

Similar to Enright Taylor has been inconsistent but still serviceable. A big 137 against the lacklustre Dons has also seen his average go to 92 and his price to just under 450 grand, but he is a more popular pick sitting in around 8% of sides.

Shaun Higgins (NM) D/F 458.8k 91 15.9%
    Speaking of Missy, here he is. A big 131 on the weekend saw his average hit 91, and his price hit just under 460 grand, while as mentioned with McGovern the D/F eligibility could come in very useful. A bit more popular than the other picks with a selection rate of around 16% Higgins has been in excellent form over the last few weeks and this is hopefully a sign of things to come.

PREMIUMS

Heath Shaw (GWS) DEF 535.8k 102 27.9%
    Heater managed to dodge the Best Buys curse on the weekend, scoring a reasonable 94 points. Now priced at 535 grand and averaging 102 for the season he is pretty close to where he should be, and also sitting in around 28% of teams. With Collingwood this week and North the next Heater should have every opportunity to run the ball out of the Giants backline before taking a breather in round 13.

MIDFIELD
    ROOKIES

Daniel Robinson (SYD) MID 123.9k 50 +34k

Robinson had a quiet game in his second outing, compared to the first anyway, managing 18 points to bring himself onto the bubble. Now averaging 50 from his first 2 games and costing 124 grand he seems a decent option so far, and will increase in price by around 35 grand after his next game, but with both Heeney and Jones likely to return soon he may have queries around his job security.

Andrew Boston (GCS) MID 124.6k 67 +55k
    Boston has been good in his first 2 games at the top, averaging 67 points-per-game after his 63 against the Swans. Priced at 124 grand and facing an increase of around 55 grand after his next game he has good cash-generation potential, but with the Suns' current injury list it's a bit of a lottery as to whether he'll keep getting games.

MID-PRICERS

Oliver Wines (PTA) MID 533.4k 109 4%
    Quadzilla has bounced back into form after his injury, averaging just over 115 since his return. Priced well at 533 grand he has been very consistent when he's played, only scoring under 100 points in the game where he was injured, and has great POD value sitting in just 4% of sides. With Port having the bye in round 13 I'd expect a fair few to pick up Wines this week, so let's see if being named the Best Buy will put anyone off.

PREMIUMS

Leigh Montagna (StK) MID 553.7k 117 1.1%

If someone had told me pre-season that at this stage of the year the midfield premium Best Buys list would be Joey, Hanners, Mundy and Ward, I would have told them they're dreaming. Just shows what an interesting year it's been I guess. Anyway, Montagna has been in great form since starting the year late, averaging 117 after his 128 on the weekend and costing just over 550 grand. He is cheap for his numbers, is guaranteed plenty of midfield time and is a massive POD in just over 1% of sides. Definitely consider him.

David Armitage (StK) MID 586.8k 117 4%

Like his teammate above Armo has been in great from this year and is also averaging 117, and his stats really are very impressive. He has played every game so far, only scored under 100 once but over 120 five times, racked up 30+ disposals in 7 of his 10 games and averages 5 marks and tackles per game. For a bloke in 4% of teams those are some ridiculous numbers. With a bye next week however not many will be bringing him in just now, but he'll likely get a fair bit more trade attention in round 13.

Daniel Hannebery (SYD) MID 586.6k 117 9.4%

Hanners has been playing consistent footy this year, but his SC scores haven't always matched up. Still sporting an average of 117 however shows that he's still good value and has plenty of potential for big games. Now costing 586 grand and sitting in under 10% of teams he is a solid choice for the midfield, and a clear frontrunner for most Brownlow votes at Sydney thus far.

David Mundy (FRE) MID 559.3k 115 9.3%

Mundy has also been excellent this year averaging 115, and is still somewhat overlooked with a selection rate of under 10%. Priced well at around 560 grand he offers decent value but be warned he has dropped off a bit from his early-season heroics where he averaged 127 over the first 5 games but just 105 from the last 5.

Callan Ward (GWS) MID 554.4k 111 2.8%
    Ward had a huge game against the Lions, racking up 175 points to bring his season's average to 111. Priced at around 555 grand he is where he should be for his numbers, and sitting in just under 3% of teams, but many will question whether grabbing him now would only be chasing last week's points.

REGULARS

Nathan Fyfe (FRE) MID 677.9k 132 63.9%

RUCK
    ROOKIES

Keegan Brooksby (GCS) RUC 102.4k 47 +35k
    Finally a ruck rookie getting time on ground, Brooksby has performed well in his 2 games to average 47 between them. Priced at the bargain-basement mark of 102 grand he offers good value, but has some serious concerns over his job security. A great option if he can keep getting games, the man with no first name is set to rise in value by around 35 grand when he plays again.

PREMIUMS

Todd Goldstein (NM) RUC 512.7k 111 33.1%

Goldy has returned to form nicely with a 134 and then a 128 in his last game after a down patch, but this drop in form has meant his price has dropped now to just 512 grand. With an average of 111 for the season he is the best ruck going around, and is already in 33.1% of teams. A gun when playing to his best, many will be hoping that Goldy can now keep his form going well into SC finals.

Shane Mumford (GWS) RUC 550.6k 103 9.3%

Mummy has also been good this year, but not quite to the level his 9.3% of coaches were hoping. A big 136 on the weekend saw his average move to 103 for the season, but his price is now sitting at a relatively high 550 grand. Facing a small price drop of around 11 grand after his next game he is heading in the right direction, and will be looking to pump out another couple of big scores before a well-deserved rest.

Mark Blicavs (GEE) M/R 522k 103 16.5%
    Blicavs has been dominant this year, averaging 103 to date (the same as Mumford) and is now in a solid 16.5% of sides. The M/R position has never been a very popular one in SC but this man is taking it to the next level and isn't showing any signs of slowing down anytime soon. Priced at 522 grand he is expected to lose around 7 grand this week after his 116 against the Dons, and is causing me no end of grief after trading him out of my keeper-league team previously.

FORWARD
    MID-PRICERS

Lance Franklin (SYD) FWD 486.2k 97 30.5%

Buddy has been very inconsistent so far this season, but previously he has seemed to find better form in the second half of the year. Now priced at 486 grand after a score of 121 on the weekend, his 149 the week before and 47 the week before that highlights his consistency problems this year. Averaging 97 and sitting in just over 30% of sides those looking to grab him would do well to do so this week, as he is looking at a price rise of about 33 grand after his next game.

Chad Wingard (PTA) FWD 476.4k 93 6.3%
    Wingard still hasn't quite returned to his breakout-season numbers yet, but with an average of 93 is still travelling along pretty well. Priced at under 480 grand he is around the mark, and only sitting in about 6% of teams. With Gray getting more attention but also more of the ball Wingard is a relatively risky pick, but one that could well pay off.

PREMIUMS

Tom Mitchell (SYD) M/F 506.2k 114 28.9%

Titch bounced back with a huge 144 against the Suns, showing why 28.9% of coaches backed him in. As always he's unfortunately a chance to miss games for no real reason, but if he can keep playing then these are the kind of scores we're looking for. Now priced at just over 500 grand with an average of 114 he is still great value, and facing another 20 grand increase in price after his next game.

Josh J Kennedy (WCE) FWD 519.3k 103 5.5%
    JJK had a quieter game on the weekend, only managing a score of 79 points, but his big games tend to be fairly big so his season's average is still a healthy 103. Costing 520 grand and playing in a team that is a legitimate finals contender when on-song, JJK's 5.5% of coaches will be feeling fairly pleased with his efforts to date.

REGULARS

Dane Swan (COL) M/F 506.6k 103 58.1%

WAITING LIST

Gary Ablett (GCS) MID 734.6k 103 -58k

Josh P Kennedy (SYD) MID 519.7k 103 -32k

Steele Sidebottom (COL) MID 583k 107 -28k

Eddie Betts (ADE) FWD 448.8k 95 -28k

Lachie Neale (FRE) MID 555.8k 110 -27k

Matt Priddis (WCE) MID 634.4k 114 -24k

Jobe Watson (ESS) MID 486.3k 98 -23k

Patrick Ryder (PTA) R/F 438.3k 83 -21k

Brodie Smith (ADE) DEF 339.8k 76 -20k

Jack Riewoldt (RIC) FWD 540.8k 100 -19k

Luke Parker (SYD) MID 545.3k 100 -19k

Ivan Maric (RIC) RUC 572.6k 105 -15k

Scott Pendlebury (COL) MID 570.1k 114 -14k

Tom McDonald (MEL) DEF 490.1k 105 -14k

That's all for the Best Buys this week, so hopefully your trade strategies all pay off over the byes and the SC gods aren't too cruel. Good luck, and join us in the comments for all the trade discussions and polls.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jun 11, 2015.

1. jp
      jp
      That round 12 bye is a killer. Need to downgrade for cash but all the rookie options also have a round 12 bye.
    2. ARC
      ARC
      Wines is looking too good to ignore. I can straight swap Vanders to Wines

Wouldn't mind cashing in Miller for Boston, just a bit unsure about JS

TU - Double trade, Vanders + Miller to Wines + Boston
      TD - Just the one, Vanders to Wines
    3. JPK
      JPK
      Fine wine is always a good buy!

Since I had Wines in last week though BB, I'm upset you've let that POD *secret* out of the bag, and I'll be further upset if you've cursed him!
    4. Iain
      Iain
      Sorry about that JPK, I'm bringing him in myself this week though so I'll certainly try not to curse him
    5. Senator96
      Senator96
      I'm planning to bring in Boston for Krakeour this week, cant really see any point holding Krakeour now he has been put back on the rookie list and I think Boston's JS &amp; scoring should be decent enough to trade in. Hoping that Glenn doesn't get selected this week as would prefer to bring him in for the round 13 bye rather than getting in two rooks who wont be playing next week.

The question for me is whether or not Brooksby is worth trading in or not. Like most teams I have had a cheapie gathering dust all year at R3 and not even looking like getting a game, but is it worth using a trade on someone who might make 100k at best but could get dropped at any time given the trade itself only makes about 20k?

TU: Worth trading him in
      TD: Waste of a trade, don't bother

Cheers!
    6. Catas of Ballarat
      Catas of Ballarat
      Can you please explain Blicavs worth as a DPP when there is no other M/R to swap with? Thanks.
    7. jamhead
      jamhead
      Brilliant article BB, look forward to it every week and even more so this week as I had no idea what moves to make this week. I feel so lost in SC this year, injuries and poor trading decisions making this one of my worst years ever. Thank God for your article and I will be bringing Wines and Boston (pending teams) in for vandenberg and probably CEY just to try get close to 18 players this week. Cheers
    8. Senator96
      Senator96
      I would suggest its completely useless Catas, except that it means you can select him in two different positions.

Not much love at all for Brooksby then it seems...
    9. tasho
      tasho
      Don't forget about Alex Pearce in defence this week. Has better JS than most rookies for this round
    10. JPK
      JPK
      Not now that he's done his calf.... apparently.
    11. Senator96
      Senator96
      Haha true, nothing like an omission to make the decision easy.

Alex Pearce would be a good option, unfortunetly I haven't got anyone down back that I can trade out for him.
    12. boydshow
      boydshow
      I would have considered Naitanui > Brooksby then Brooksby > premo later in the year, but Brooksby is out with a calf injury
    13. princeofmugs
      princeofmugs
      Instead of being a 1 to 1 movement (Mid-Ruck for Mid-Ruck), you could make a 3 way movement if you have a Fwd-Ruck up forward and a Mid-Fwd in the mids.
      Also any DPP can be useful when moving people around during trades. Eg if you're light on in the mids this week, bring him in as a mid, then next week shift him into the rucks and trade out a crummy ruck who's not playing for a good mid. DPP is always handy!
    14. RPritch
      RPritch
      I don't understand why there is no mention of Joel Selwood priced under $500k and expected to start rising in price again after having hit decent form over the last 2 weeks.
      After 2 trades this week to get in Wines and Boston for Rocky and Salem, I'll have 19 playing without McKenzie or 20 with, as well as expecting 18+ for the next 2 weeks, but only 14 trades left.
      So question is:
      Do I do a 3rd trade and get Selwood in for Miller or hold on the 3rd trade?
      TU: Get Selwood
      TD: Two trades is enough
    15. malbi
      malbi
      Can you trade out a mid and move a D/M into the mids opening up a spot? It's a bit harder in the bye rounds I know. I have Michael Johnson to trade out. So it's easy to get Alex Pearce in.
    16. bunza;-)
      bunza;-)
      Ill just be going M Johnson to Pearce as well. That gives me 18. Was looking at VDB for Boston, but I think wait for Kavanagh in R13. He is named in the guts so I am hoping this is a good JS sign and I think Hirdy needs to start giving our kids a crack, cos our year is shot.
    17. Bucko
      Bucko
      My plan was to downgrade Johnson to Hamling next week. However Pearce is now back in the mix.

Who would be the better bench option / cash generation rookie ?

Up: A.Pearce
      Dn: Hamling
    18. willy
      willy
      Looks like big problems for me over the next 3 weeks

R11 - 15 (16 if Mckenzie plays)

R12 - 14

R13 - my only saving grace 19

Looking to say goodbye to miller, CEY and Krak but should i wait a week and get the R11 byes next week or looking at Ward who has the R13 bye (thus leaving me with 18 that week)
    19. Hornet
      Hornet
      Option C: Elliot Kavanagh