Best Buys - Round 11

Discussion in 'Blog' started by tipbetpro, Jun 1, 2016.

By tipbetpro on Jun 1, 2016 at 11:05 PM
  1. tipbetpro

tipbetpro Active Member

As always NRL tips are out because the NRL teams get announced Tuesdays (http://www.tipbetpro.com/#!current-round/kzu9o) – only 4 games in NRL last week due to some State of Origin thing (remember when the AFL had that?), but had a great week betting wise (http://www.tipbetpro.com/#!NRL-Round-12-Wrap/xtmz9/574c54930cf23b010089a080)

Another week of looking for upgrades. And no I’m still not naming a ruck
    There was a bit of talk last week about dumping Gawn for Goldy – I hope no one actually did it,
    a) because it didn’t work out as Gawn did awesome and Goldy may be injured
    b) NEVER SIDEWAYS TRADE!.
    I’m assuming everyone has two rucks out of NicNat, Goldy and Gawn – if you do, DO NOT TRADE.

This week we have scrolled to the bottom of the list and found ourselves a forward – starting next week I’ll somewhat consider the bye rounds, although this really depends on your situation.

Firstly, there really is no reason I’m naming this guy as Buy of the Week this week:
    - he hasn’t done better last week than he has all season
    - he isn’t about to go up or down in value
    - he isn’t about to play Essendon, Freo and Brisbane in the next 3 rounds (well I think he is playing one of them)
    But he is the best and most consistent forward in the competition and has been for the entire season – not one score below 100, only one below 110 – and yet he is in less than 20% of SC teams???
    Will people only spend cash on mids?
    Does no one scroll down to Z?
    There is no excuse – if you don’t have Zorko, than you need to bring him in.

Again, the format below is:
    POSITION Name (CLUB) – current price (expected increase) – AVERAGE

DEFENDERS
    Rookies:

DEF Oscar McDonald (MEL) - 184k (+23k) - AVG=53 (Shows potential but looked out of his depth at times against Port Adelaide. No certainty to retain his spot.)

Keepers: (see “wait a week” a few defenders coming up)
    DEF Josh Gibson (HAW) - 481k (-2k) - AVG=100 (Well priced)
    DEF Sam Docherty (CAR) - 586k (+5k) - AVG=110 (Was a great buy when we named him BoTW, but still a good buy)
    DEF Heath Shaw (GWS) - 658k (+2k) - AVG=116

Midfielders
    Rookies:

MID Rhys Mathieson (BRL) - 117k (+33k) - AVG=56
    MID Josh Dunkley (WBD) - 167k (+28k) - AVG=61 (Finally broke the bubble, but still cheap)

Keepers: (There are lots of good mids – this list is not exhaustive)
    MID Tom Mitchell (SYD) - 496k (+23k) - AVG=107 (after 3 ordinary games he got 178 on the weekend – has he returned to his best?)
    MID Gary Ablett (GCS) - 542k (+10k) - AVG=114 (As I said last week – it was a bit early to trade out Ablett – 140+ has put him back on the radar of teams who are Godless)
    MID Jack Steven (STK) - 543k (+22k) - AVG=106 (Poor NedFlanders, Maude is dead, your kids Rod and Todd are losers and thanks to me you don’t have Jack Steven…)
    MID Steele Sidebottom (COL) - 583k (-6k) - AVG=113
    MID Josh P. Kennedy (SYD) - 585k (+13k) - AVG=111
    MID Bryce Gibbs (CAR) - 603k (-1k) - AVG=112 (He has risen in the ranks of TipBetPro and is also a good SC buy – if Carlton continue their current form that is)
    MID Lachie Neale (FRE) - 608k (+6k) - AVG=115 (Neale is the last man standing at Freo)
    MID Adam Treloar (COL) - 614k (-12k) - AVG=114
    MID Patrick Dangerfield (GEE) - 619k (-11k) - AVG=125 (You could wait a week if you don’t have him)
    MID Daniel Hannebery (SYD) - 622k (-5k) - AVG=121
    MID Scott Pendlebury (COL) - 658k (-6k) - AVG=119

Rucks
    Rookies:

R/F Trent West (BRL) - 197k (+9k) - AVG=48
    R/F Daniel GORRINGE (CAR) - 222k (+18k) - AVG=62

Keepers:
    RUC Max GAWN (MEL) - 550k (+6k) - AVG=117
    RUC Nic Naitanui (WCE) - 569k (-3k) - AVG=114
    RUC Todd Goldstein (NTH) - 595k (+15k) - AVG=118

Forwards
    Rookies:

M/F McKenzie Willis (GCS) - 117k (+9k) - AVG=33
    FWD Jackson Paine (BRL) - 128k (+20k) - AVG=46
    FWD Dougal Howard (PTA) - 169k (+25k) - AVG=59

Keepers:
    FWD Chad Wingard (PTA) - 415k (+25k) - AVG=82 (A roughie – but if you are cash strapped and want to roll the dice, Wingard could be your man)
    FWD Josh J. Kennedy (WCE) - 559k (+20k) - AVG=112 (Has done very well, but forwards who get a lot of points from kicking goals can be a bit up and down)
    M/F Dustin MARTIN (RIC) - 570k (+3k) - AVG=107
    M/F Dayne Zorko (BRL) - 585k (0k) - AVG=118 (BoTW)

Still a week away:
    DEF Samuel Collins (FRE) - 117k - AVG=59 (Impressed on debut and as a “mature-ager” looked more capable than your standard rookie of holding down a key position. Won’t be high scoring but with Alex Pearce out for the season expect to get more opportunities)
    DEF Harry Marsh (SYD) - 117k - AVG=51 (Strong debut but job security will be under threat when Ted Richards returns from his concussion (and possibly also with the impending return of Sam Reid). Unlikely to be a high scorer as a KPD.)
    DEF Billie SMEDTS (GEE) - 190k - AVG=57 (Returned to the Geelong line-up last week but faces stiff competition to retain his spot and may pay the price for the Cats underwhelming form)
    DEF Rory Laird (ADE) - 490k - AVG=97 (coming back from injury – so maybe wait a week)
    DEF Alex Rance (RIC) - 495k - AVG=98 (a few defenders should be good value next week)
    DEF Kade Simpson (CAR) - 548k - AVG=104
    DEF Matthew Boyd (WBD) - 550k - AVG=100
    M/D Thomas Cole (WCE) - 117k - AVG=48
    MID Joel Selwood (GEE) - 517k - AVG=105 (Has dropped in value, but may be good value next week)
    FWD Brodie Murdoch (STK) - 218k - AVG=58

So that’s Best Buys for this week.

Good luck to all with your trades and hopefully some wins on the weekend. For all your trade discussion feel free to join us in the comments section below.

Cheers

http://www.tipbetpro.com/ - your statistically tested guide to tipping and betting on AFL and NRL

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 3

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by tipbetpro, Jun 1, 2016.

1. The_Swert
      The_Swert
      Quite a few mids bottoming out this week in the 500-550k range.
      Ablett, Gray, Selwood, Ward, Parker...who is most likely to bounce back to a 115 avg?

Even S Mitchell is good value if he can break a tag. He has a good run ahead and is rarely seen at $455k.
    2. tipbetpro
      tipbetpro
      S Mitchell has dropped a fair bit now, and I had him on the watch list last week - but I think you'd want a few weeks of consistency before you brought him in - he is a mid after all.

But yes, potentially a lot of value amongst the mids - but pick one you think will be good for the season, not just a mid who has a good run coming up - after all, you don't want to have to trade them out.

Also, you my want to consider the bye rounds and which weeks you need an extra player - or which week you definitely don't need one.
    3. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      There is possibility that Tucker might play for Freo this week, if so it will be interesting which rookies people go for

JS through the byes could be a big factor in my thinking, so perhaps Mathieson and Collins might be ahead of others for me

Thursday teams might throw up a few new rookies who will be on the bubble in round 13 or round 14 if they have a round 13 bye, fingers crossed
      • Like Like x 2
      • Option 1 Option 1 x 1
    4. maxweas1
      maxweas1
      I need to go a rookie defender this week (and again next week). Would really appreciate views on:
      DEF Samuel Collins (FRE) - 117k - AVG=59
      DEF Harry Marsh (SYD) - 117k - AVG=51
      DEF Billie SMEDTS (GEE) - 190k - AVG=57
      DEF Oscar McDonald (MEL) - 184k (+23k) - AVG=53

Who would you be buying and why? Travelling in Europe for work and haven't been able to watch any games (apart from the tiges for 2 weeks).

Really need some help crew :)
      • Option 1 Option 1 x 1
    5. RPritch
      RPritch
      I still have S.Martin in the ruck (with Goldy) and I think I'm going to hold onto him for now.
      I plan on trading out B.Kennedy and M.Hartley for R.Gray (who I'm very surprised to not see in Best Buys) and S.Collins.
      Trading S.Martin could be done by holding back on the M.Hartley to S.Collins trade until next week, as M.Hartley won't play and therefore won't go down in price and S.Collins has only played one game so far.
      Then I would trade B.Kennedy to either J.Paine or D.Howard and trade S.Martin to either M.Gawn or N.Naitanui, as I don't want to trade him out for any ruck outside the 'big 3'.
      Thoughts on what to do would be appreciated:
      :1: B.Kennedy + M.Hartley to R.Gray + S.Collins
      :2: B.Kennedy + S.Martin to J.Paine + M.Gawn
      :3: B.Kennedy + S.Martin to D.Howard + M.Gawn
      :4: B.Kennedy + S.Martin to J.Paine + N.Naitanui
      :5: B.Kennedy + S.Martin to D.Howard + N.Naitanui
      PS:
      Forgot to mention that doing options 2-5 would make me play S.Kerridge on the field rather than an extra premo (but only if S.Martin was still counted a premo) and would leave me with no defensive coverage (unless B.Williams gets named) and that is with both KK and Laird on the field so if either of those two don't get up then options 2-5 are instantly useless.
      • Option 1 Option 1 x 3
      • Option 2 Option 2 x 2
    6. faz_2000
      faz_2000
      Great and interesting read as always. Lack of Gray in mids is astounding though I think he's clearly the sharpest buying there this week and about to head north towards his usual $600k or so. Love the Zork. He's been quietly powering my team since I brought him in before his first price hike. Amidst the carnage at Brissie he's been great.
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Shagga05
      Shagga05
      I think Collins out of that group. Injuries in Freo's backline will help his JS and he played quite well last week. His WAFL form has been consistent all year too. You do put trust in Ross the Boss though. I wouldn't think a huge point winner but should be good for 60 odd points a game.
    8. walesy
      walesy
      Can I get some thoughts on Birchall?

Priced under $400k after a pair of stinkers (55, 51) have tanked his price.

Excellent bye and the scoring history if a low-end keeper.

Has a 90BE this week, so probably could be left another week.
    9. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      It probably depends on who you are forgoing if you bring him in at D6

In my case I brought in McVeigh to avoid a Round 9 donut and thereby overlooked both Simpson and Docherty before Docherty went Bang

Right now I would be making sure I had as many of Shaw, Simpson and Docherty as I could, then working out when to bring them in based on which bye round they have and the current bye profile
    10. RPritch
      RPritch
      Had since rd1 and I strongly suggest you stay away. He gets no contested ball which hurts his score and his ball use has been a bit worse and less influential on games this year than previous years. This means he needs to get a lot of the ball to get a good score and he doesn't really get a heap of it. Also doesn't tackle much too. At that price range Ben Reid is a better option than Birchall imo, everyone knows he's a gun player but obviously injuries have hurt him but now he's having a good run with that and is playing some great footy for the Pies
      • Like Like x 2
    11. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      I can see Gray being a popular pick this week or next
    12. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      If you need 2 rookie defenders I would potentially go Tucker this week if he is named (with Ibbotson out for a while) and Collins next week for his 3rd game. I think Smedts and McDonald would be ahead of Marsh for JS in the medium term if you have to bring one of them in, both are $180k plus though which would sting.

Look for Francis D/M for the Bombers to potentially get a game this week and if not next week. Given his quality he may be worth breaking the golden rule for, again he is not bottom priced which is annoying.
      • Like Like x 1
    13. tipbetpro
      tipbetpro
      I kind of knew this would happen, so here is a special little add on for the RG fan club:
      Why Robbie Gray didn't make the list.

I hate Port Adelaide and despise Robbie Gray... Nah not really - I love Port Adelaide right now because they won me money last week and Gray helped them do that!

The real reason is he just didn't make the cut.

Mids are to some extent a dime a dozen - well actually they are expensive, but there are a lot of them.
      So for mid keepers I use fairly strict cut-offs.
      An average above 110 (sorry Cotchin you just missed out) will get a player on the list.
      An average over 100 and an expected rise of ~20k+ will also sneek you onto the list (hence T Mitchell and Steven also made the list - T Mitchell is hanging there by a thread).
      Using those methods alone we get 14 players (I exclude Zorko because he is a fwd) - that's more keeper mids than a team needs.

In fact, that's too many - so unlike other positions (e.g. defenders) I try to cut that list back.
      Keeping it just to the stats, I look for players that have a poor 3 game average or "fringe" guns who might be going down in value.
      So I removed Parker, Ward and Coniglio - all good players, and if you have them I wouldn't even think of trading them - but someone has to be culled and those 3 didn't make the list.

We still have 11, but that'll do.

So back to Gray.
      Average = 105
      3-game average = 99
      Last game = 109
      i.e. not one of those stats is above 110 - so based of stats alone he is not a certain gun.

Expected price increase ~ 10,000
      Expected price increase for the next 3 weeks ~16,000
      i.e. he is near enough to fairly priced - so no real reason to get him right now.

Now having said all of that, based off prior year stats Gray is probably a good buy at his current price (and so is Priddis and S Mitchell).
      And if you exclude those two games where Gray got sub-100 then his average improves above the cut-offs (but I'm not in the business of removing outliers).
      And yes he may well get a 120+ score this week - so if you feel strongly about Gray then bring him in - The stats are there to guide you, but you don't want to be like poor Ned and get talked out of something you think is a good idea.

Stick to your guns, and if you think Gray is a gun - stand by it and bring him in.
      • Like Like x 8
    14. tipbetpro
      tipbetpro
      Based on scoring history he could be a low end keeper, but from 2012 to 2015 his averages have decreased every year from 95 to 86. His team mate Burgoyne has also dropped considerably.

Also around that price you have Nick Haynes and Ben Reid - the latter is having a decent year by his standards.

Defenders are always that bit harder to pick, so choosing a mid-ranger could be a good idea (at least you haven't blown too much money).
      • Like Like x 1
    15. tipbetpro
      tipbetpro
      Was a bit rushed this week, but have now added some comments to the main article with regards to these rookies.
      Collins is probably top of the list, but a 3-way coin-toss after that.
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Tomster
      Tomster
      Thoughts on

1. Hartley to Rance
      or
      2. Smith to Gray?

Like others have said, I wouldn't get Birchall. Have had him since the start and have more than once considered playing a rookie over him, not something you want from your premiums. He doesn't seem to regularly be in that top group of Hawthorn players who score well, and seems to be a part of their mid-tier group who occasionally score ok.
      • Option 2 Option 2 x 2
      • Option 1 Option 1 x 1
    17. Nick
      Nick
      Kind of want to gold trades (16 left), however don't want to miss out on cheap premiums like Gray or Priddis.
      First trade would be BenKen to Paine to free up cash for Hewett to:

Option 1: Go for Priddis (BE 98)

Option 2: Go for Gray (BE 78)

Option 3: Don't rade due to low trades and Hewett has room to grow (BE: 28)

Thanks!
      • Option 2 Option 2 x 3
      • Option 3 Option 3 x 2
    18. benny01
      benny01
      I was going to toss up deciding between Steven and R Gray for my upgrade but have decided with Gray because Steven has the round 13 bye.
    19. benny01
      benny01
      Think Collins looks the best but with unknown job security.
      I think McDonald is the safest pick in that I think he'll stay in the team for a while. He is just probably too expensive at $184k
      I don't think Marsh and Smedts will last