ORFFL Round 10 Review

Discussion in 'ORFFL' started by Kel, May 31, 2016.

1. Kel

Kel Moderator

ORFFL Round 10 Review:

Mt Buggery Disapointments 1126 lost to Queenstown Quolls 1147

Another close win for the Quolls this time taking out the injury riddled ‘pointers. Gibbs 140 led the way for the Quolls ably supported by fellow Blue Ed Curnow 128 and the spring heeled Howe 125. Sinclair 18, Motlop 27, 2MP 43 and Bell 40 (despite kicking 4 goals) ensured that this was a close one though.

For the MBD Goldy 112 again was the shining light despite being below his lofty average. Walesy clearly has some morbid attraction to Cloke, who despite being dead, is still named on field. Maybe Jeremy Cameron complained about having to line up with 2 Essendon forwards, so Kyle Langford has to sneak on after the game has started and hope that Jezza doesn’t notice while they wheel Cloke away Weekend at Bernie’s style.

Bonnie Doon Bandits 1127 lost to Smiths Beach Seagulls 1276

Maybe the Bandits are the 2016 ORFFL equivalent of Carlton after having their winning run halted at 4. Fez, congratulations on the 4 wins, but really, the Carlton thing….I guess you can lock in wins against the Magicians and the Jackrabbits over the next 2 weeks.

On field for the Seagulls Jack Steven 138 upstaged his big name midfield counterparts Danger 127 and Parker 67. NRoo 114 and Buddy 102 up forward enjoyed the regular supply. For the BDB it was a bit ho hum really with Stanley and Cripps providing the highlights with a pair of 105’s. Mason Cox 47 starting to realise that this AFL thing won’t be as easy as lining up against Brisbane each week.

Purnululu Bungle Ranges 912 lost to Warburton Wanderers 1100

Ok Tino you win. I won’t mention Vardy scoring 0 in the ruck ever again I promise.

Warburton managed a solid win against an undermanned Bungle Ranges outfit despite Will Minson scoring 0 in the ruck, which is coincidently the same as Vardy scored for the PBR. Top scorers were the PBR’s Goddard 130 and Walker 123 however it was the consistent effort across the board that did the job for the Wanderers. Everitt 119 Hartlett 107 and Boak 99 the top scorers for the winners. Finals are starting to look unlikely for both these sides though.

Tarwin Lower Pigs 1131 defeated Jimcumbilly Jackrabbits 1005

Better be quick because this little train is stopping all stations (except Poowong – we don’t like them, they can get on at Nyora if they want to) and the bandwagoners are climbing aboard quicker than a fat kid on a cup cake. With strong rumours that the recent $40M winner is a local, watch out for our fancy new clubrooms and brand new training facilities to put the icing on the TLP cake. This week it was the turn of the Jackrabbits to feel the wrath as Docherty 121 Pendles 118 and Hunter 102 led the charge. Gibson 123 did his best but had little backline support, Stef Martin 40 hasn’t been the same since his big hit from May and apart from Wells 103 up forward there wasn’t much else with Petrie putting out a very droopy looking 28.

Sarah Island Savages 1545 defeated Milikapati Snakes 1146

Yawn.

Glenrowan Gunslingers 1363 defeated Poowong Potoroos 1164

Even with Ablett 143 back to his best and Kelly 132 starting to show something the ‘injury ravaged’ Potoroos still went down to the Gunslingers by 199. Armitage 149 pinched the 5 brownlow votes off Gaz and with Smith 108 Hannebery 126 Dahlhaus 119 Rioli 116 and Bartel 109 all tonning up it was an uphill battle, not helped by Palmer 19 and Stevie J 48 having quiet days for the Giants. Poowong starting to position themselves nicely for back to back spoons. Brisbane at least will avoid that honour. Gunslingers cementing themselves as the number 1 contender to the Savages.

Humpty Doo Hammerheads 1131 lost to Coulta Couldabeens 1316

Coulta continue their solid run with a good win over the Hammerheads with the Power contingent doing Bear proud. The Chad 136 nearly doubled his season average in a return to form ably supported by The Hoff 125 and The ‘tard 98. Now nicely positioned for the run home the Couldabeens will have the clubs above them looking over their shoulders. For the Hammerheads a very strong midfield performance (449) was offset by a pitiful backline (194) that would have been outscored by Heath Shaw last week. A couple of must win games against Warburton and Mallacoota coming up before the byes if they want to stay in the hunt.

Bundalong Bullfrogs 1239 lost to Malacoota Magicians 1298

A high scoring loss was enough to get Bundalong off the bottom and start talk of finals by the Bullfrog faithful. I think they may well have been drinking their own bathwater but good luck to them I say. The Bullfrogs proved they had more injuries than the Magicians in this battle of the battered.

It was a glorious return however for Magicians coach thokash who ditched the usual limo and just hovered above the ground for a few minutes before taking his usual place on the bench.

Next weeks clash between Bundalong and Mt Buggery is starting to have some Dr Seuss potential. Battered Bundalongs big Buggery battle in a bottle with a paddle in a puddle with poodle on a noodle, or something like that.

Popanyinning Pyrite 1161 defeated Woy Woy Wizards 1058

The Wizards slump to 18th after going down to the Pyrite. With an all Essendon backline I guess that is not completely surprising although the Pyrite really have Big Max Gawn 167 to thank. An underperforming backline would be a worry for P_L and with Jack Viney to miss a few they will need someone to step up and fill the void in the midfield.

Popanyinning bounced back from last weeks loss with a strong win however they will face stiffer opposition next week as they travel to Smiths Beach to take on the Seagulls.

• Like Like x 3
  2. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

Clokey is gunna sneak on as an un-named emergency one of these days, and when it happens, I'll laugh and laugh and laugh.

Until he scores me a 16.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Johnson

Johnson Active Member

#wewerenotworthy #wewerenotworthy

4. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

Great work with these mate, thanks for the effort. Quolls are an interesting side this year, struggling thanks to injuries as usual, but each week the team draws straws and decides who's going to stand up. 14 players have gone 100+ so far this year for a combined total of 39 100+ scores, and if they can all get on the park and fire in the same week they have the potential for some huge scores. The last game is a perfect example, a few big scores to bring the team over the line, but let down by the ruck donut and 2 OOP's in defence.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

Was curious so I crunched a few numbers, and I'm sure there are a few teams out there that can match it (like Savages or those with Goldy/Gawn/Heater) but the results aren't too bad. Combining the players' best scores from this season so far the Quolls have a potential high score of 1894, with 2 100's on the bench due to positional requirements.

Howe 135, Laird 127, Walker 97, Day 96
    Gibbs 147, Mitchell 144, Thompson 140, Jones 137
    Currie 97
    Motlop 155, Wright 142, Robinson 133, Sinclair 109
    Curnow 129, Hopper 106
    (Dixon 105, Bell 102)

This is following on from the losses of Watson, Jaensch, Schneider and Howlett over the off-season and Yarran not playing a game so far this year so there's a fair bit of potential there, it'd just be nice if they actually reached it instead of showing glimpses before returning to their usual crapness.

6. Kel

Kel Moderator

Congrats to Jack Trengove on his return to senior football. A sentimental selection as midfield emergency for the TLP this week.

7. stripey

stripey Well-Known Member

The bathwater in Bundalong is bubbling nicely :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kel

Kel Moderator

Quolls are the experts at doing enough. Five in a row including wins by 5, 21, 43 and 69.

9. Fez

Fez Moderator

When's the MSD ? I'm overseas from June 13-24 I'm going to delist Nathan Broad

10. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Round 14 I think.

Speaking of the draft, I'm having computer troubles. So with no access to my spreadies, someone else may have to update/pass round a sheet this coming draft.