Rate My Team 2015 (3rd Edition)

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Mar 27, 2015.

By Jason on Mar 27, 2015 at 11:00 AM
  1. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

Again the old thread was getting really long so time for a new one. Links to previous threads:
    RMT 1st edition
    RMT 2nd edition
    Who knows how many times I will change this again before R1 lockout arrives. I suspect the rookie-priced options will move around a bit. But I think I'm mostly happy with the keepers and 'almost-keepers'.
    Presently my bye structure is 7/10/13 which not what I want it to be. 8/11/11 would be much better. I will need to be careful with early upgrades to be sure to improve this position. But it's not impossible to improve the balance before R11, so I'm happy enough for now. What does your bye structure look like?
    Who else is onboard the various bandwagons of some of the players in my team below?
    /Portals/0/Users/222/74/4574/RMT4.JPG
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; color: #444444; background: #fcfcfc;][span style='background: #fcfcfc;]Just to repeat the ground rules for RMT:
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; color: #444444; background: #fcfcfc;]1. In order to get feedback on your own team, you must first provide feedback on the teams that have been recently posted. This is the golden rule and is what makes this whole thing work.
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; color: #444444; background: #fcfcfc;]2. If you just post your team without giving any feedback,your post will be deleted.
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; color: #444444; background: #fcfcfc;]3. Please refrain from commenting on teams that have been posted by others that have not followed the golden rule.
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; color: #444444; background: #fcfcfc;]4. Keep it civil. Constructive criticism is fine. But there is a line and please don't cross it.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Mar 27, 2015.

1. cotchytime
      cotchytime
      Like the Wells pick, not a keeper but if he averages 90 then it is a win. I'm running with him. Could be then upgraded to a fallen premium. Sandilands not so sure, did play 21 last year but a big ask to get through 19+ at this stage of his career.
    2. Deano
      Deano
      The query for me on MJ is that without Dawson he may be forced into more of a lockdown role on the opposition's second tall and hence isolated from that run off ability.
    3. Jason
      Jason
      Both in contention for R1. Not really competing for the same spot either.
    4. Jason
      Jason
      Has Lumumba ever done much centre square work previously though? Because his new role at Melbourne has included a lot more MID time. SC scoring likes this.

Don't pigeonhole your thinking on him based on the role that he used to have.

I'm just not convinced that this is Harley's year. Don't let that stop you from selecting him though, he *could* go large as you say.
    5. cotchytime
      cotchytime
      This is how it is looking, any comments appreciated. Bit light in M4-6 but that's where I'm finding my value and hoping Wells and Steven can average 20 points above their price to enable cheap upgrades. Dons penalties dependent of course, would mean a slight reshuffle in structure if Bellchambers out.

Def: Simpson, Shaw, Hibberd, Newnes, Brown, Dalgleish, Saad, Hamling

Mid: Pendles, Fyfe, Parker, Stevens, Wells, Cripps, Kavanagh, Ellis-Yolmen, Anderson, Vandeberg, Steele

Ruck: Maric, Bellchambers

Forward: Gray, Martin, Bennell, Swan, Bontempelli, Clark, Saad, Hogan
    6. cotchytime
      cotchytime
      His new pre season role has, that's true. Still, can't see him averaging over 85, don't rate him as a player that will get enough of it and then use it well enough to get the points on offer. Gotta take a risk somewhere I guess.
    7. Jason
      Jason
      Gee, when you say thin on DEF you really meant it! Not a structure that I would be comfortable with, but if you have picked the best value in doing so then you could smash a lot of teams. Your structure won't be that commonplace.

In general, I think you simply have too many mid pricers across all lines though.

The thinking on GNR (guns-and-rookies) is that by starting with as may guns as you can, you will to make slightly less upgrade trades over the middle rounds compared to other teams with a bunch of mid-pricers to start with.

How many of your starting team do you think are 'keepers', when you take off your optimistic hat for a moment? I can see 4 MIDs and 1 FWD who I'd be happy to call a keeper.

Newnes, Ibbotson, Geary, Davis, Jaksch, Nealem, Steven, Rich, Naitanui, Bellchambers, Swan, Walker, Thomas are all mid-pricers. A lot of coaches will start Newnes, Naianui and Swan hoping they are keepers, but really that are currently 'almost-keepers', because they need to improve on last year's form line to get to the scoring required for a keeper. They all have a decent chance to do so, which is fine. But the rest are a bit more of a long-shot as to whether they will increase their output significantly enough to become a keeper. You might nail one or maybe two of these selections, but history says that there are only a handful of mid-priced players in any given year who breakout to keeper level. For every one of these midpricers that doesn't break out, you will need to trade them up at some stage if you want to keep up with the GNR teams.
    8. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      If you're going mid-price then Wells is your man because Rich, who's cheaper hasn't scored better, and Wells is proven to be a 100avg scorer, and you don't pick mid-pricers to keep anyway. So he's your best bet if that's your strategy I think.

I wouldn't worry about his age so much, it doesn't stop people picking 31 year old defenders with one ok season.
    9. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      Would rather pick Ibbo if people think there's value and points up for grab in the Freo defence
    10. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      I wouldn't pick Smith unless Nichols goes down personally, but should be on the improve this year.
    11. Jason
      Jason
      Structure looks pretty good, albeit a little light in DEF. If all those DEF rookies show up for R1, you're laughing. As above, don't like Wells selection much.
    12. anthak
      anthak
      Yeah, if Ryder gets suspended, I'll be getting Lobbe in to.
    13. Jason
      Jason
      85 isn't much off being a DEF keeper this year.
    14. Iain
      Iain
      Lambert now elevated at Richmond
    15. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      All of that Jason.

It will be something of an anticlimax if Dons players don't cop some sort of penalty. From what I have seen of Lycett (one game) he has worked hard on his physique and fitness + doing the little things. Think he will be regular 22 whereas NN remains injury prone.
    16. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Second whoop, whoop of the day.
    17. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Lobbe.

Happy to defer to Port experts, but the guy is easily in the top 5 rucks. He will score well under the new system as he has upped his tackling. I cannot understand why people are holding off to see what happens with Ryder. That's like hanging off Steff in case Lewie comes good. With or without Ryder, and where Ryder plays, Lobbe will continue to give good return with the occasional monster. If there is any concern it should be over the coach's plans to try and fit Redden in as well.
    18. TerryinBangkok
    19. Jason
      Jason
      I agree Lycett will play regularly, but will he score enough to belong in your SC team?
    20. choppers
      choppers
      My previous comment about not being sold on R1 and R2 was meant as a combination. I actually think Lobbe is about No3. But I'm just not sold on Lycett as his No2..