Rate My Team 2017

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Feb 26, 2017.

By Jason on Feb 26, 2017 at 8:53 PM
  1. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

The TooSerious tradition that is Rate My Team (RMT) is back in 2017!

A quick refresher on the rules.

1. In order to get feedback on your own team, you must first provide feedback on the teams that have been recently posted. This is the golden rule and is what makes this whole thing work. :)
    2. If you just post your team without giving any feedback, your post will be deleted. :mad:
    3. Please refrain from commenting on teams that have been posted by others that have not followed the golden rule. :cool:
    4. Keep it civil. Constructive criticism is fine. But there is a line and please don't cross it. :eek:

Here's how my team looks as we approach the end of February:

Capture3.JPG

Find that value, search hard and follow your instincts!
    Or just tell me I'm dreaming and where I've gone wrong...

• Like Like x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Jason, Feb 26, 2017.

1. HotPiesColdDrinks
      HotPiesColdDrinks
      Really good side to me. I can't really fault on much. If I were, it would be Freeman as a rookie. So, so injury prone and even if he is ruled fit early, the thing that would scare me most is for him to play one game, do a hammy yet again and be out for the season like he has every year. Then you're forced to make a sideways trade to another rookie because he is ruled out for the year with a soft tissue. I'd maybe take a chance on him if he is ever on the bubble. But that is just a rookie, and they always get chopped and changed until R1 teams are announced.

The other is Sandilands....(by the way, I just put Sandilands in my side a few days ago). But he is what? 34 now, and past seasons has shown that he misses games at times, and it is rucks out of any other position where you don't want them to miss games as they are hard to cover at times without making a trade.
      I feel safer having Sandilands in my side with a ruck link in the forward line. Yes, you 'could' compromise your team by choosing a player up forward just for the link in rucks like a Nankervis/Ryder and if you think they can put up comparative scores to other top forwards it may be the way to go. To be honest, I'm still not 100% convinced, though me personally, I have Nankervis up forward as a backup in case Sandilands ever goes down. Though I only made that decision a few days ago.
      I had Gawn, Grundy the whole time and a few days ago got cold feet about Gawn possibly sharing the ruck with Spencer.

But other than Freeman and a possible issue and Sandilands playing majority of the season without missing a few games is the only problem to consider. But I really, really like your team.
    2. HotPiesColdDrinks
      HotPiesColdDrinks
      This is my current team, with about $75k in the bank.
      • Considering Pendlebury going out just because of the talk about his achilles, though will wait until I hear more next week.
      • I had Gawn and Grundy the whole time, but worried about Gawn sharing ruck duties with Spencer and his score going down. Normally I'd take the chance, but at Gawn's price, his possibly sharing the ruck scared me. By switching Gawn for Sandilands has allowed me to turn Swallow (GC) into Heppell (or another premium)
      • Only worry I have of Sandilands is not whether he can punchout scores, it's whether he can stay on the park for 95% of the season. I have my doubts, which is why I essentially swapped Roughead for Nankervis up forward, so I have the ability to cover Sandilands if he misses games, and I do think Nankervis has the chance to put up high scores.
      It's basically Sandilands and leave as is, or switch Sandilands back to Gawn, which would force me to downgrade Heppell to Swallow (GC) and then probably Nankervis back to Roughead or someone similar in that price range.

Also, where I have Billings. Originally had Heeney, then heard he had glandular, then changed to DeGoey and he has a mystery quad issue and then I switched to Billings. But for that spot, was considering Billings, Steele, Petracca, J.Martin.
      Thoughts on the Billings pick? Was looking at players under $470k.

SC Team.PNG
      Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    3. Nick
      Nick
      Great feedback thanks mate. Freeman and Newman have been replaced with other more attractive rookies, but outside 1 or 2 seems anyone's guess this year. Structure may have to change based on rookie availability moreso than other years.

Sandi might also still become Nankervis. Not like set and forget rucks this year, want to see how the new rule changes things before spending big.
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Nick
      Nick
      I like this team a lot. Very similar structure to mine in terms of how many premiums/mids/rookies in each line, leaning the way of the lack of mid rookies this season.
      In terms of player selection, I really like McRae and would like to get him in, however I think he suits DT a little more, more of an accumulator than damaging. Still a bonus to be able to pick in SC though.
      I understand your ruck coverage, but the I feel as though Roughy at the same price will outscore Nankervis by quite a bit. If Sandi or Grundy go down - just trade!
      There are heaps in that FWD potential break out bracket aren't there? Billings and Steele killing it currently. Hard to split them all.
      I'm not convinced with WHE - don't think there's enough pie midfield pie for him.
      I wouldn't pay top $$ for Pendles unless he's 100%, doesn't look to be.
      I'm also staying away from premium bombers until I see how they play out games, so no Hepp for me, even though I love him dearly.
    5. BillyBob
      BillyBob
      Appreciate your comments mate. I think you are probably right re Savage. I kept seeing Z. Jones right in the midfield during JLT and figured he wasn't going to be playing off the half back flank or back pocket this year.

I shall ponder some more. :)
    6. benny01
      benny01
      I'm with you 100% on the Bombers, they're just so much of an unknown how a year off will affect them and how the new players coming in will affect the guys who played last year. I think the better ones are all midfielders and are all surrounded by pretty similar options so I wouldn't say any are must haves.

I noticed the Swans were running a lot of their fringe players through the midfield a lot more. They weren't running their big names through the middle as much as normal. I can't see them doing this throughout the year.
      I think it was just giving other players a go to see how they went which was pretty well. It's what the pre-season is for and Sydney have never really taken it too seriously :).
    7. BillyBob
      BillyBob
      I like it mate, but probably because I have gone with Jones as well. :) Marchbank is a key back, so maybe anther reason to punt him.
    8. BillyBob
      BillyBob
      Jack Steele over Billings I think
    9. Boulderdash
      Boulderdash
      upload_2017-3-15_23-20-10.png Well, there are so many teams to review & most of them are pretty close.
      @BillyBob, I like the selection of Hickey. I think with the change in the 3rd man up rule, the more athletic types won't get banged up as much and will be able to run out the games better. I also think the Saints are on the rise and a better performing midfield will help.

@HotPiesColdDrimnks, I think you will need to review Luke Ryan (hasn't been seen at all during the JLT) and Aaron Black. I think Black is going to be too injury prone and inconsistent.

For all - I think the idea of Sandi/Strnadica loophole will be a common practice this year. I also think Gawn will drop in value and will be an upgrade option.
      Value for money picks: Fyfe, O'Meara, Marchbank, Hampton, Roughhead. Any player that has left GWS and playing elsewhere because they couldn't get a game. (I have Hrovat from the WB in this category)

My (initital) plan is to chase the points early and cut down on the uncertainity of the rookies. This means moving into mid-price madness territority, but considering on how the rookie prices are scaled, I get the feeling we are slowly being moved that way anyway.

I intend to leave my backline relatively untouched throughout the year.

Well, here is my attempt - McCarthy I think is my biggest gamble, followed by Nankervis and then Hrovat.

Only 9K left. Still concerned about the mid bench.

upload_2017-3-15_23-20-10.png
    10. Kovanator1
      Kovanator1
      @Boulderdash Backline is looking good. Not going with Tuohy myself as I don't think he will keep up his pre-season scoring.
      Maybe a couple too many mid pricers than ideal, that being said I seem to be falling into the same trap with my team.
    11. IPOD
      IPOD
      @Jason, for mine Jaeger is a lock not sold on Nankervis myself (Plus i hate richmond with a passion). I also see your dpp link with Nankervis and like that i was leaning towards Ryder in my team to do the same think
    12. Kovanator1
      Kovanator1
      Here is my team at the moment. I have 198k left in the bank.
      Not really happy with the number of mid pricers in the team but am struggling to let go of any of them. (I had D.Swallow in there at one stage as well)
      Tossing up between Kelly & Watson and not fully sold on having Nankervis in the team, but am worried that Sandi might go down to injury so have the ruck/forward link up there.
      Appreciate any and all feedback.

upload_2017-3-16_12-25-25.png
    13. God Yeah
      God Yeah
      Is Grundy a viable option as R1? in saying that the Ruck position could be a raffle this year
      Love the Hawk double in the middle, real POD type stuff and they play completely different game styles so not taking points off each other.
      Are you a premo short in Def? Quite a number of upgrades to be made throughout the season in that position
    14. God Yeah
      God Yeah
      M
      McCarthy could be a shrewd selection considering Freo have no-one up forward to take a grab with the departure of Pav and Mayne.
    15. God Yeah
      God Yeah
      Let me know what you think fellas - I'm personally not sold on McGrath/Oliver and obviously rookies in all positions will be reviewed just prior to round 1

Attached Files:

16. God Yeah
      God Yeah
      upload_2017-3-16_12-45-23.png

Apologies not sure if the uploaded file worked - Cheers
    17. Kovanator1
      Kovanator1
      @God Yeah Your are about the only person I have seen picking Ablett straight up. Personally I think a wait and see approach might be better for him.
      My view on rucks is that you want to pick 2 that you can set and forget, (unless there is injury). Is Witts someone you can see holding or rising enough in value to use to upgrade?
    18. Kovanator1
      Kovanator1
      What are peoples view on Watson (453k) vs J.Kelly (474k)?
      Thumbs up for Watson, Thumbs down for Kellly.
      • Like Like x 9
      • Dislike Dislike x 2
    19. traviso
      traviso
      You're banking on Jobe getting back to premium scores and by the look of his history also staying on the park all season (last 3 seasons were 12, 14, 19 appearances). Josh Kelly you're banking on him to break out into premium territory. Last season he played every game and averaged 87 SC points. So you want what a 20 point break out taking points off all the other GWS mids? I'd back Jobe to rise again but i'd be worried about his durability. But i guess at that price point it's a gamble either way.
      • Like Like x 2
    20. surtees
      surtees
      Kovanator, I agree with traviso, I have had Jobe in and out. I question if he will reach the same height and even if his hearts still in it and might pull the pin mid way. Kelly will be reliable not sure he will step up though. I'd take Jobe I wouldn't think he'd drop in price so could even become an upgrade option.