TS Fantasy NBA: Matchup 5 Results

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Steve, Dec 2, 2015.

By Steve on Dec 2, 2015 at 11:00 AM
  1. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

The rounds are flying by. Please join us over the break for the review of round 5.

Premier League

The TIcking Time Bomb (1-4) 1604 defeated Three Point Buzzer Beaters (1-4) 1459
    Team Stowie (4-1) 1244 defeated King of Karlos (1-4) 1185
    Wade Machine (5-0) 1513 defeated Ruddy's Cavaliers (2-3) 1286
    The Real MVP (2-3) 1376 defeated Day to Day (1-4) 1199
    TS Heaver (4-1) 1668 defeated Ant Hak (3-2) 1325
    Hersey Hawkins Athletic Club (4-1) 1831 defeated Westside Hardcore (2-3) 1408

Division One

Oh Sixteen (2-3) 1395 defeated Jasmine's Mob (2-3) 1203
    Crossy Crusaders (3-2) 1412 defeated Run TMC (2-3) 1168
    El Bonanzas (4-1) 1612 defeated Biggest Losers (2-3) 1508
    CK Nicks (3-2) 1389 defeated The Cripples (1-4) 1012
    Paky Ballers (4-1) 1747 defeated The Raptors (1-4) 1403
    Nahla Vs Little Dee (4-1) 1482 defeated Wafty Boxes (2-3) 1269

Division Two

Nettin Blatche (3-2) 1603 defeated Harden The Interruption (2-3) 1181
    Hinrich Maneouvre (4-1) 1497 defeated San Diego Anchormen (0-5) 1082
    Fab 5 (5-0) 1494 defeated Travy's Boys (1-4) 1202
    Paul George John Ringo's (3-2) 1531 defeated Jimmy G Buckets (1-4) 1421
    Broady Broncos (4-1) 1612 defeated Team Short (4-1) 1500
    HeatNation (2-3) 1684 defeated Adelaide Maggots (1-4) 1388

Division Three

Wing Span (3-2) 1622 defeated The Delly of the Beast (2-3) 1349
    Lainos Nuggets (4-1) 1448 defeated Smokin Joe Misiti (3-2) 1382
    Mr Peggasorearse (5-0) 1584 defeated Flying Kents (2-3) 1418
    Morris Magic (1-4) 1402 defeated Run T Mull C (0-5) 1286
    Dann's Stars (4-1) 1501 defeated Fully Fledged Spuds (3-2) 1232
    Hoop Hunters (2-3) 1314 defeated Larry Byrd Gang (1-4) 1074

After 5 rounds there are 3 undefeated teams (Wade Machine, Fab 5 and Mr Pegasoreass)

There are 2 teams still seeking their first win (San Diego Anchormen and Run T Mull C)

The highest score for the round was Hersey Hawkins Athletic Club with 1831

The lowest score for the round was San Diego Anchormen with 1082

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Steve, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Steve
      Steve
      The photo was the view from our hotel room in New Orleans.

The Superdome where the Saints play in the NFL and the Smoothie King Centre is next door to the left and this is where the Pelicans play their home games.

2. Steve
      Steve
      Good work today on the Moneyball peeps

Thad Young and McCollum killed my chances today
    3. chris88
      chris88
      Geez, getting murdered this week.

In two days I've had my team play 7 less games than the opposition. Because of that, am 300 points down already and will be conceding this week.

I think all up I'll be 10 games down on my opponent this week - how the hell does that happen in a weekly matchup? I mean, I've got Harrison Barnes out injured, but still, I'm 7-8 games down.

Can't compete against any decent team with that many fewer games in a week. All things being equal I'd be maybe only 70 points down if we had equal players, with a full slate of games today.

So so strange.
    4. HEAVER
      HEAVER
      Advice for DFS Moneyball - you have to decide whether you're a high risk 'Tournament' player (ie guaranteed prize pool, top 3 only get prizes) or whether you're a low risk 'Cash' player (ie double-ups where you only need to come in the top half to get the prize).

Tournament - need high ceiling risky plays (ie Kobe has high ceiling and can score 40+, but has also low floor if his shot not falling)

Cash - need high floor, consistent players (ie can rely on KLeonard has been my mainstay)

You have to aim for about 300fpts so I tend to always find try to find the under-valued plays (Porzingis + Capella + RobCov this week), and then fill up the rest with stars. You need to average x5 value. ie if Porzingis is $6,700, he achieves value at 33.5fpts (the 'implied'). Note that the scoring system doesn't count efficiency stats - so Drummond/Dwight still have value with their counting stats.

It's pretty difficult with tournaments, so i have stuck with the double-ups the last 3 weeks and have been winning almost everytime. I tend to have my bankroll 90% cash + 10% tournaments...
    5. Pearcey47
      Pearcey47
      Nice little write-up there Heaver, great work. You are doing well, I see your name up towards the top a lot.
      I am hopeless at Moneyball with very little return on spend (i.e spent $138 - returned $55 = 40 win/60% loss).
      I just cant seem to get 9 decent players to all click on the one day, I always seem 20-odd points out of the money due to 1 or 2 players having a bad game.
      Does anyone have any tips on what they look for to pick high-scoring players?
      Also, what is everyones name on Moneyball so we can all keep an eye out for each other? Obviously I am 'pearcey47', Heaver is 'Heaver', Ant is 'Anthak' etc.
    6. HEAVER
      HEAVER
      @ Pearcey - stick with the double-up cash games...and remember to 'cashout' your winnings so that you don't get tempted to re-invest it and lose it on the next day.

I don't look for high-scoring players for cash games. I look for consistency and a high floor. Also you can have a look at the winning teams' lineup.

Another tip is to look at the line = players will do better in a high scoring, high paced game. So I've stacked on the HOU vs NOP game today. And guards that play against the Lakers :)

So for example in my cash game today, I've got my core lineup of Davis/Porzingis/RobCov/Capella/Wall
    7. HEAVER
      HEAVER
      was also gonna say that I regularly read the daily DT Talk Moneyball tips - and realise that you write them up?? So I should be asking YOU for advice! Hahaha...but great work on the write-ups!
    8. Pearcey47
      Pearcey47
      Awesome thanks mate. I always lock for guys who I think have good match-ups - it just doesn't seem to happen the way I picture it. Oh well, I will just keep plugging along, I am pretty sure I am on the right track, just have to wait for it all to click!

Yeah I write those articles so I can find the right guys, just cant seem to fit them all in to my line-up haha. Need to take my own advice!

Good luck today. I see Ant's name high on the leaderboard again!
    9. Steve
      Steve
      I always look at the matchups. Sometimes it back fires like yesterday when I thought Gasol and Monobrow could cancel each other out and the game would be a low scoring affair (how wrong was I)

I think you need to have at least 2 players around the $4-5k. Guys like Ish Smith, Jokic, Grant and now Len have been like gold.

I think the hardest position to pick is SG. Unless you are prepared to pay top dollar for Harden, the rest of the SG's contribute very little in stats apart from scoring points. Like today I took a chance on KCP as I thought that game would be high scoring but KCP has let me down badly.

Pearcey, great work with the writeups, I enjoy reading them on the bus to work.

I am slowly losing my winnings from last week, hahahaha
    10. Pearcey47
      Pearcey47
      Thanks Steve, great to hear another point of view.

Appreciate the kind words from yourself and Heaver regarding the articles - wasn't sure that anyone was actually reading them haha.
    11. anthak
      anthak
      I just picked up Bellinelli for today, but the 'move' action buttons weren't working for me so I couldnt put him in my lineup before it locked! So, Ive ended up with him on my bench :(

I wonder if he will score a negative... maybe it was meant to be :)

12. HEAVER
      HEAVER
      that's the risk you take with the add/drop waiver move...you need to do it 5mins beforehand to give yourself enough time to put him in the lineup :) Learnt from last year! And fingers crossed no-one pick up the player you aim to add with that 5min timeframe. You must really like J-Crawford!
    13. Rad_E_Cool
      Rad_E_Cool
      I'm 'Rad E Cool' on there. I've only really done bets on one day though. Spent $42 entering 5 comps with 5 different line-ups, ended up winning a head-to-head and a 200-person comp and finished off with a balance of $222.30, so not a bad return!

I only did it because I had time that day to really think about the next morning's games and mess around with maximising the salary cap.
    14. anthak
      anthak
      Ive done it plenty of times with just a min. Its usually enough time, and makes it harder for someone else to mess it up ☺. There was an unexpected problem with the browser though. I ended up having to log onto my phone to swap JCraw back in.
      Bellinelli only scored single figures anyway, but it was a waste of 2 acquisitions, for no gain

15. anthak
      anthak
      Good one mate
    16. Rad_E_Cool
      Rad_E_Cool
      Dammit! Found out right before tipoff that Rondae Hollis-Jefferson was getting surgery on his ankle so dropped him to take a flier on Noguiera versus the Lakers atrocious defence without realising he also somehow injured his ankle and is out.
      Really wish ESPN had some more timely injury alert system.
    17. Steve
      Steve
      I have my work cut out this week as Jet is playing 9 more games than me.

Think I might play dead this week and just get ready for the next round.
    18. chris88
      chris88
      Steve - that's what happened to me last week. Had 10 fewer games than my opponent so I ended up throwing a few guys around and getting a trade done as I had Irving, Barnes and Gobert injured.

Accidentally left my guys off the court for two days too - which was a bit forgetful!

Think this week even with injuries my matchup has about an even number of games between both teams. Far more fun when that occurs - no fantasy team can make up 8-10 extra games in a week.
    19. Pearcey47
      Pearcey47
      This is the 2nd week in a row I am up against a team that hasn't set there line up and left points on the bench. I am either extremely lucky or some GMs have given up early in the week/season. Is this a trend or is it only me that is noticing it?

On a lighter note, had a decent return in Moneyball today with a 2nd place in their $5 tourney. Got me back to square haha.