2018 Pre-Season Auction Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Fitzy, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Auction rules:
    1. All players or picks to be auctioned should be listed with a closing day/time.
    2. All players or picks being auctioned cannot be pulled before that day/time.
    3. No asset being auctioned should be the subject of private trade negotiations nor used as part of a bid in another auction, until the auction of the asset has reached it's conclusion/closing time, with or without a sale.
    4. Stating a reserve, or a preferred return type for the auctioned asset is voluntary.
    5. The reserve is not reached on any asset until the seller says so.
    6. Once a reserve has been reached the seller has the option to adjust the auction length, but to no less than 48 hours, or the end of the trade period, whichever is the lesser.
    7. As soon as practical after receiving multiple bids on an asset the seller should indicate whom is in front, any reasoning is optional.
    8. All auctions are final and irreversible unless via subsequent mutually agreed trade.
    9. Once a bid is tabled the bid is live until rejected OR deemed beaten by the person conducting the auction, it cannot be materially altered once tabled.
    10. No bid can be conditional on outcomes not directly related to the auction at hand.

• Like Like x 2
  2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Im listing Brodie Smith for auction. Adelaide Defender.
    He is still young (25 years old at the time auction commenced) but is out injured, likely for the whole of 2018 :(

He is still a star and I will not trade lightly.

I'm looking for a high draft pick or a genuine best 15 player, not equal to my fringe players, better.

I'll see how it goes here for a few days. I'll set the auction to finish at 10pm AEDT on Tuesday 16th January.

3. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Wow what a proposition... I can nab myself a top 60 defender (based on 2017 average), who is out for the season, if I cough up a player that improves your starting 15 or a 1st round draft pick.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. anthak

He was clearly in my best 15, so that is what id want in return.

Bandit, I would of thought he would fit your list profile well, allowing you to tank 2018 easier, but improve your team when it starts to get good. He will be right in his prime in 2019.

I'm not sure what I can get for him, but thats why I chose an auction, to test the market rate.

Also, I never said a 1st round pick. It depends what is offered as to what I would accept, but I'd like a high pick.

5. Bandit

By my calculations this guy would be your F3 or F4, so therefore genuine starting 15.

I offer Cale Hooker

• Like Like x 1
  6. anthak

Thanks for the bid Bandit. Its very close... really touch and go. Ive actually changed this post several times switching between stating it meets or doesnt meet reserve.

I think Taylor Walker, Wingard and Wallis are all ahead of him, so he'd be F4 at best in my team, but would be battling it out with Christensen for that 4th spot, and potentially even Harry Taylor and an improving GC Sun Aaron Young are in the mix too.

As I said, its really close, but Im gonna say no for now

7. Bandit

I put Wingard would on the bench as one of your mids... but that’s fine we all see it differently.

I’m out... offer will stand if you change your mind.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

I'll offer either Michael Johnson or Bernie Vince (whichever takes your fancy) for Brodie Smith.

• Like Like x 1
  9. anthak

Thanks for the bid

Again, very close. I started to write "yes" to Bernie Vince, but I cant do it. He'll probably only play one more year and my defence line is already very old, so its probably silly...

He also might struggle to make my best 15, because he'd be battling Lynden Dunn and Harry Taylor for the D4 spot...

but a defender is probably what would get a deal over the line the easiest in this auction.

10. anthak

Auction closes tonight.
    Reserve still not met.

11. anthak

reserve not met. Auction closed.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  12. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

I am putting PSD pick 14 up for auction.

In return for PSD pick 14 I am seeking a forward or defender who will strengthen the Cradle Mountain Devils best 15, my preference is a forward.

Auction closes Friday 26 January at 10pm.

13. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Misfits bid Jamie Elliott, injury cruelled 2017 still managed a 73 avg, the only reason we offer him is our current luxury of fwd options.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  14. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

For PSD#14 the Cows bid Daniel Menzel and PSD#42.

15. dmandrews

Thanks for the bid of Jamie Elliot @Len and thanks for the bid of Daniel Menzel and PSD pick 42 @graeme however neither offer meets reserve.

In exchange for PSD pick 14 I am looking for a player that I am confident will be in Cradle Mountain’s best 15. Based on 2017 averages CMD’s fourth ranked forward for 2018 is Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti with an average of 74 and I expect CMD’S fifth ranked forward Jade Gresham to improve on his average of 66 last year given that in his last four games of 2017 Gresham average 84. Neither Elliot or Menzel averaged more points per game than AMT in 2017 and they both played less games in 2017 than AMT.

Menzel has only exceeded an average of 74 in one season with 82 in 2016 whilst Elliot has exceeded 74 twice, with 76 in 2015 and 83 in 2014. It is debatable whether Elliot or Menzel will average more than AMT in 2018 and beyond. Both Elliot and Menzel have had significant injury battles during their career and for me to trade PSD pick 14 out I would need to be confident that the forward I am trading in would be able to get out on the park week in, week out. I would also need to be confident that they would rank in the Devils best four forwards. I don’t have this confidence in Elliot or Menzel for either factor.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  16. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Thank you for explaining your reasoning Dean - much appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Len

No worries mate, just offering one dice roll for another :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. dmandrews

The performance of players selected at and around pick 14 in previous PSD’s varies greatly. Highlighting this point the first player ever selected at pick 14 in a PSD - Jono O’Rourke in 2013 hasn’t established himself in an AFL club’s best 22 whilst the second player selected at pick 14 in a PSD – Matt Crouch in 2014 has won an Adelaide Crows best and fairest and been selected in an All-Australian team.

However @Len, I don’t consider pick 14 in the pre-season draft to be dice rolling time. In determining the reserve for the auction of PSD pick 14 I am backing the Cradle Mountain Devils recruiting team to select a player (if the pick is retained) that will develop into a best 15 player at the Devils although it would probably take the new recruit 2 or 3 years to reach this level. CMD have performed well with their two previous picks in the teens by selecting Jack Steele at 13 and Jake Lever at 19, both in 2015. In 2018 I expect Steele to be M4 or Int 1 and Lever to be D2 or D3.

The auction of pick 14 at the PSD has just under 25 hours remaining before it concludes at 10pm AEDT on Australia Day. If reserve doesn’t get met CMD will implement plan B in their attempt to recruit an experienced player.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Len

Cheers mate, I understand your perspective.
    I beleive 100% that in this draft, EVERY pick after #7 is a dice roll, some will get lucky and some will get Garlett.
    My personal evaluation of the picks this year:
    1-7 A
    8_25 B
    26_60 C
    >60, name your lotto numbers

Elliott may finally play injury free, or will be the same useless dick he has been for two seasons, also a dice roll.

The unknown is why we play the game :)

• Like Like x 3
  20. dmandrews

The auction is closed for PSD pick 14, reserve has not been met and Cradle Mountain retain the pick.

Whilst CMD’s first serve in the 2018 pre-season auction never looked like getting into play the club will return with their second serve in the auction thread tomorrow.

• Like Like x 3