2018 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by JPK, Aug 28, 2017.

1. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

First up, I would like to state, that not I, nor the 'FU in general, condone skinning cats, or any other form of animal cruelty.

We have some really impatient coaches floating around these halls... who just want to trade and draft all year long. This is a great thought, but not practical. So what we did is decide to start the PSD on 1 January to give everyone their drafting fix asap. We didn't run the clock until 8 January, simply to not disadvantage those who were not available over the holidays.
    The goal was to reward those coaches who have done some research (although there is still a fair lottery-factor in drafting), and to make sure that we were done before any pre-season games commenced, which we clearly achieved. Yeah, we can probably move the draft back a few weeks next year, and still manage to get through 72+ picks, before pre-season games.

I'm considering an idea of having another mini-draft at the end of the pre-season comp. Same order as the PSD (pre-trades). Anyone who wants to drop a player (or more) can do so, and select from any of the remaining free agents (so if a player shows real promise in the pre-season, he can be grabbed prior to R1). My current thought is that this would be a completely stand-alone draft, non-compulsory, and only picks in this draft could be exchanged (although I have been tossing up the possibility of opening up trading picks from future drafts here too). Either way, the same general rules would apply, and no team could have more than 28 players at the end of it.
    Is this idea something that will appeal to the draft-nuts and those who felt hard-done-by because they couldn't see potential picks in action?

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  2. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

I like the idea JPK.

3. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

What about taking an approach similar to SC during the bye rounds?

We name a full team (or as full a team as everyone can without Port/Suns) but only count the top 13 scores, irrespective of position.
    (Knocking out two players on the basis on 2/18*15 = 1.6, being the average number of Port/Suns players in each starting XV).

It would require manual updating of the ladder for the round I suspect.

• Like Like x 3
  4. JPK

Interesting idea!
    I'm not sure how TSL will cope with it, but I can ask the chief.

5. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

I reckon this is a ripper idea, well done @JPK. Suits both camps, makes everyone happy

6. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Will this mini draft possibly dilute the MSD even further with those coaches who participate in the mini draft grabbing the bolters?

• Like Like x 2
  7. JPK

Potentially, yes.
    However there will always be some players who show nothing prior to the season, yet make their debuts in round 8-ish and end up being useful for the rest of the year.
    But you're right - this is a risk.

8. Tylo

Tylo Moderator

Firstly I'll say I don't have a good answer for the problem. That said, I think there's a big difference between the GC/PTA bye and players missing due to suspension or any other reason. The difference being we don't play when players from every other club have their byes so the GC and PTA players don't have the opportunity to play in all 20 live rounds like players from other clubs do. So I really don't think it's the same thing at all.

But I understand your point about if a player doesn't play then he doesn't score. Maybe Damo's suggestion is the best answer? Or is it possible to play a match over the bye rounds, something like using a best score over the 3 weeks? Personally I'd love it if we could get an extra round in and stretch the finals over 4 weeks the same as the AFL.

Fwiw I don't care too much when the draft is, probably a week or 2 later would be my preference, but I would be against a 2nd draft.

9. ddsaints

ddsaints Well-Known Member

My opinion lads. Draft was way to early. To much other sport going on to have to worry about drafting for your teams future. Later in the month is the go. For those itchy coaches I say get a life
    I understand the worry of the powers above to get the draft finished, so this year we live and learn. All fun and games.
    I’m all for drafting before JLT and always have been so having this second mini draft is silly in my opinion, not a fan at all. We don’t need 2 drafts. That’s just extreme. Research well, choose wisely and hope for the best basically. It’s all a lottery really. That many late draft picks have gone onto be guns and vice versa. All fun and games.
    Watching games JLT, will influence picks for the good and bad so it’s not necessary an advantage watching pre season games, it could actually scare you away from the nugget you researched.
    The bye round is a hard one, and not one I can come up with much on. Damos idea is a good one

Would also like to say thanks to all for doing a great job for the FU. Doing a great job lads. Love all you blokes

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

+1 for this idea from @DamoH - Seems like the most sensible solution so far to the Port / GC bye round issue

11. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

I think the PSD was a little early this year - I don’t mind it being all wrapped up already but starting a week or two later would be better for people on holidays this time of year.

I love a good draft but having another one after the JLT seems like overkill. I can’t see how it wouldn’t deplete the MSD pool of talent and coaches already complain about the lack of depth in the free agent pool mid season.

I thought we couldn’t make any sudden changes during the season anyway? Best to see how the MSD goes this year with the new PSD rules in place and then make a call for next season. If it looks like we can add in a 3rd mini draft without killing the MSD then I’m all for it - especially if we can make it another top up draft to expand our lists by 1-2 players! ;):thumbsu:

12. JPK

Ahhh, the old sneak in a list size increase and hope no-one notices trick (thanks to Maxwell Smart)

• Like Like x 4
  13. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

in regards to the gold/port bye rounds i dont have an issue with teams using averages for their players but there would be conditions ie that player is best 15 and played in your team every week up to the bye rounds. Another option is to have bye round for our league.

i am against the mini draft seems pointless especially if it not compulsory.

14. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

My thoughts on a few of the issues raised:
    - keep lists at 28. I'm not a fan of further increasing squad sizes. There ain't much talent left in the msd past the first round now whereas previously there was some talent to be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds

- +1 for the best 13 idea for the gcs/pta bye week. Doesn't affect me too much but I think it will help teams with more players out

- a no from me to the post jlt draft. Seems to defeat the purpose of having a psd before the preseason comp

- I would've preferred a slightly later start to the draft but it seemed to work well how it was done. There were minimal hold ups and plenty of picks taken before the time limit was enforced which to me says there were plenty of keen coaches, including myself

• Like Like x 1
  15. wrightbrendan

wrightbrendan Well-Known Member

I'm glad @Tylo brought it up as well cause I'm not sure about your example used @JPK! Can see where you're coming from though and there are some good points in there. I'd back @DamoH's suggestion for sure. It's a method SC coaches are used to and keeps all teams on a more even playing field whether they have GCS/PTA players or not

16. wrightbrendan

wrightbrendan Well-Known Member

Oh, and I'd rather not have the extra draft as well. Not a huge fan of the earlier drafting (mostly because I am one of the lazy ones that doesn't do research before the pre-season comp) but now that we've done it I feel like the extra draft would dilute those efforts a bit. Plus some people, can't say it was me, may have drafted MSD picks thinking there might be a bit more talent this year because of the earlier draft so would be a bit harsh to change that

17. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

@JPK i feel a poll coming up

18. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

My 2 cents...

- I don't like the use of averages as they do not reflect the match conditions, opposition or injury possibilities.

- I don't mind using the best 13 scores; probably the easiest solution.

- If we manage to sort out the PAGC bye maybe we could look at @Tylo's suggestion and run a round over the three bye weeks with teams set before the first bye and then best score over the 3 weeks counts. This could give us a 4 week finals series where the top 4 teams could be rewarded with a double chance (unless they all lose).

- I don't like the additional draft; yes we started early but probably only by a couple of weeks. As mentioned above there were a heap of picks taken when the clock was off so no doubt most of us were pretty keen to draft. Leave the undrafted talent for the MSD.

• Like Like x 2
  19. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

multi bye rounds that end up as a 4 ball best ball stableford type arrangement? pick the best score? I like it!

20. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

Like the Man v Nature thing we have during the byes but just make the rounds 1 FU fixture. The only issue may be the Port & Suns players that have a Mac three scores vs two for all the other players.