Best Buys: Return of Rockie

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, May 27, 2015.

By Iain on May 27, 2015 at 10:00 AM
  1. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

This week in the Best Buys the regulars have made a return, where players regularly in the Best Buys are listed but no comments on them are provided. If you've been reading all year there's a pretty good chance that you know what to expect from these blokes. Unfortunately due to time constraints the waiting list is somewhat lacking, but there should be plenty of options around for those looking to trade anyway.

The Best Buy this week has gone to, no surprise, Tom Rockliff. After suffering concussions, broken ribs and a punctured lung the Lions skipper now seems to be back to his old self and pumping out good numbers once again. Offering excellent value, even if he doesn't perform as well as last season, he seems a great pick even if it's for use on the bench and with loopholes later on in the season. Most SC coaches will be looking to find a way to bring in Rockliff this week, and really it's no wonder. Capable of winning games of both AFL and SC off his own boot, Rocky is an excellent pick and should be in most teams by the end of the bye rounds.

DEFENSE
    ROOKIES

Jack Leslie (GCS) DEF 148.4k 48 +24k
    Leslie is on the bubble for Gold Coast, after playing his first two games for an average of 48. He looks likely to improve his value by around 24 grand after his next game, but with Malceski soon to be back in the side questions remain about when that game will come.

MID-PRICERS

Cale Hooker (ESS) DEF 428.9k 96 6.6%

Hooker bounced back to form on the weekend, scoring a solid 115 to take his season's average back up to 96. Costing under 430 grand and with the ability to pull out some big scores from time to time Hooker looks decent value in a line that is sorely lacking in consistency.

Michael Hurley (ESS) DEF 470.7k 96 1.7%

Hurley also bounced back well against the Lions, scoring 121 to also bring his average to 96. Around 40 grand more expensive than Hooker but just as inconsistent Hurley can have some great games but they're usually interspersed with some poor ones.

Jeremy McGovern (WCE) D/F 443.1k 95 5.7%

McGovern has been battling injury all season really this year, which has seen his output drop in several games and means his durability is a concern. For those willing to risk it however his average of 95 and price of just under 450 grand are good value. McGovern clearly has the potential to be a SC gun, it's still unknown though whether his body will allow him to do it this year.

Josh Gibson (HAW) DEF 468.9k 94 13.7%

Gibson held up well against the Swans, racking up 106 points and providing some good ball movement out of defense. His lack of support from Lake and Frawley has been an issue so far, but hopefully at least one of them can get back to full fitness to give Gibson the room to run and carry. An excellent defender, Gibson plays best when allowed to be third-man up”.

Kade Simpson (CAR) DEF 460.7k 94 7.8%
    Simmo had a blinder against the Cats, as clearly the Blues best player, but some of that could really have been the rest of the team sucking enormously and CD having to give the points to someone. A 149 bought his average up to 94 for the year so far, and hopefully Simpson can stay fit and continue on with these numbers in an attempt to impress potential new coaches.

PREMIUMS

Heath Shaw (GWS) DEF 505.4k 98 26.6%
    Heater had another solid game, this time scoring 91 which is only 7 points shy of his average to date. With the Giants on a roll he may not see quite as much of the ball, but can hopefully sneak forward here and there to rack up some extra possessions. Hasn't been suspended yet though, so still a good chance to miss some games.

MIDFIELD
    ROOKIES

Karl Amon (PTA) MID 123.9k 24 -580

Amon was the sub in the last match, meaning his average of 24 potentially sees him lose value after the next game. If he can get a starting role for the Power he could be a good pick, and with Trengove now out for an extended period he might just get his chance.

Trent Dumont (NM) MID 123.9k 28 +5k

Dumont was also the sub, in a recurring trend this week, and is now sporting an average of 28. This will see him increase in price by around 5 grand after his next game, and as walesy pointed out earlier the rookie cupboard really is bare at the moment. Someone should probably restock that.

Connor Menadue (RIC) MID 117.3k 29 +7k
    Menadue was again the sub in his second game at AFL level, leaving him with an average of 29 and a 7 grand price rise on the way. To be honest here I'm really not too sure on his job security or potential to get more time on ground at the Tigers, so hopefully one of the faithful can fill me in in the comments sections.

MID-PRICERS

Tom Rockliff (BRI) MID 465.4k 72 20.5%

Rocky is the Best Buy this week, and offers massive value. Some pointed out last week, and rightly so in hindsight, that he was better value then but I wanted to be sure his ribs were ok. After laying 10 tackles against the Bombers though, I think we can safely say his ribs seem alright for now. Priced at under 470 grand and averaging 72 he is overpriced on that metric, but we all know how well he can score when he's on his game. Already in 1/5 of the teams in the comp, I'm expecting another 20% or so of sides to grab him this week.

Leigh Montagna (StK) MID 505k 114 0.7%

Not quite offering the same value as Rocky, but still excellent value nonetheless, Montagna bounced back with a 128 on the weekend to bring his average for the year up to 114. Priced at just over 500 grand that is serious value, and when considering he is in under 1% of teams so far as well he's a great POD smoky.

Jordan Lewis (HAW) MID 538.1k 111 11.4%

Lewis came back from suspension against the Swan and scored himself a 117. Not quite the 130's he had been pumping out previously but still a very handy score. Priced at just under 540 grand he offers good value, but still needs to rack up a lot of touches to score well. Averaging 111 so far, and sitting in a bit over 11% of teams.

PREMIUMS

David Mundy (FRE) MID 576.6k 119 8.5%

Mundy is still in the frame, even after a poor game a couple of weeks ago, with an average of 119 and a price of around 575 grand. Although he is looking likely to drop around 8 grand in price this week, if he can keep his average at over 115 he's excellent value anyway.

Dan Hannebery (SYD) MID 578.2k 119 7.1%

Hanners put in a big game against the Hawks, scoring 138 points to bring his average up to 119 for the season. One of the Swans better performers so far this year Dan looks set for plenty more big games, and possibly a team-high Brownlow count by season's end.

Lachie Neale (FRE) MID 596.8k 118 12.2%

Neale keeps on performing, and showing why you shouldn't take everything I say as gospel. A 141 against the Roos shows that he probably isn't as big a risk as I'd thought to get tagged out of games, and bumped his average back up to 118 as well. Costing just under 600 grand and sitting in 12% of teams He is pretty well on the mark for his numbers, but if he can keep performing will become a must-have” sooner rather than later.

Jack Steven (StK) MID 555.4k 111 8.6%

Steven had a huge game against West Coast, pumping out a 171 to top score for the round. Priced at 555 grand and averaging 111 he is around the mark price-wise, and in under 10% of teams has good POD value. Some were concerned about how Montagna would affect his scoring, but on that one game you'd have to say it's in a positive way.

Luke Parker (SYD) MID 553k 102 11.9%
    Parker is returning to his early season form, after a concussion and string of lesser scores. This has seen his average drop to 102, but his average from the last 3 games is a much better looking 130. A 124 in game against the Hawks will give him a price rise of around 18 grand after his next game, and Parker is looking great value currently.
    <div style='font-weight: bold;]

REGULARS

Nathan Fyfe (FRE) MID 659.9k 131 62.2%

Scott Pendlebury (COL) MID 598.6k 118 36.3%

RUCK
    PREMIUMS

Ivan Maric (RIC) RUC 559.2k 105 9.3%

Finally, some of the ruck premiums are starting to deliver. Maric has a 3-round average of 129 which has brought his seasons average up to 105, but with a price of around 560 grand he needs to keep delivering those numbers. With a selection rate of under 10% he still has some POD value, and can hopefully put a run of form on to match his finish to season 2014.

Shane Mumford (GWS) RUC 552.8k 104 8.6%

Mummy has also put a good run on recently, with a 3-game average of 121. Now averaging 104 for the season and costing just over 550 grand he is in a similar position to Maric, and will also hopefully continue to perform from here.

Mark Blicavs (GEE) M/R 509.1k 104 13.8%

Blicavs has been working from the opposite direction to Maric, Mummy and Sauce, putting up career best numbers to approach the top-end of ruckman from the bottom. Now costing around 510 grand with an average of 104, he is looking good value and his 134 against the Blues shows what he is capable of. Sitting in just under 14% of teams, surprisingly he is the most popular out of the rucks listed here this week.

Sam Jacobs (ADE) RUC 550.3k 103 10.7%
    Sauce is very similar to the other two premiums listed here this week, costing 550 grand with an average of 103 and a 3-game average of 125. His good recent form is a reminder of why he was so expensive to start the season, and with any luck he'll continue to show the form of 2014 that had him sitting at number one for rucks.

FORWARD
    ROOKIES

Bailey Dale (WBD) FWD 117.3k 41 +23k
    Dale is the only forward rookie to play last week and be on the bubble this week, and although he was the sub his score of 32 in a quarter of footy showed good signs. Laying 4 tackles and kicking a goal he showed plenty of promise, and is a legitimate downgrade option if he can stay on the park.

MID-PRICERS

Tom Mitchell (SYD) M/F 486.4k 111 8.8%
    Titch let us down somewhat against the Hawks, only managing a score of 80 which is his lowest this year. If that's his lowest of the season though, I don't think many will be complaining. The low score has slowed his price rise so this week he is only looking at an increase of around 12 grand, meaning it isn't too late to jump on. Mitchell has exceptional potential, but needs to stay in Horse's good books.

PREMIUMS

Luke Dahlhaus (WBD) FWD 510.6k 106 4.4%

Dahl stepped up once again on the weekend, knocking out 124 points to take his average to 106 for the year. Now costing just over 500 grand he is pretty well where he should be on numbers, and is consistently scoring well. Still in under 5% of teams he has good POD value, and is improving nicely.

Eddie Betts (ADE) FWD 515.1k 105 5.7%

Eddie had one of his quieter games for the season on Saturday, scoring 74 points to drop his average slightly to 105 for the year. Still affordable at 515 grand he is now in almost 6% of teams so still has good POD value. The Crows will be looking to bounce back from their loss to the Giants, but playing Freo in Freo will be no easy task.

Dustin Martin (RIC) M/F 547.8k 104 42.6%

Dusty pumped out 121 in his last game, taking his average to 104 and his price to just under 550 grand. Going by these numbers he is a bit overpriced, but nothing drastic enough to prevent coaches from grabbing him. Set to lose around 3 grand after his next game, the Dreamtime at the G should give him a good opportunity to further increase his average.

Brett Deledio (RIC) M/F 532.4k 100 5%
    Lids came back from his persistent injury to pump out a 142, bringing his average up to 100 flat. With a price of 530 grand he is slightly overpriced, but as shown on the weekend is always a risk to go large. The injury concerns will remain an issue for the remainder of the year, but if he can keep fit he is a great forward-line option.

REGULARS

Robbie Gray (PTA) M/F 618.4k 119 51.1%

Dane Swan (COL) M/F 492.3k 103 57.2%

WAITING LIST

Stefan Martin (BRI) RUC 585.2k 107 -24k

Luke Hodge (HAW) D/M 549.4k 106 -20k

Todd Goldstein (NM) RUC 527.8k 106 -30k

Bachar Houli (RIC) DEF 516.3k 104 -15k

So that's it once again, and as always join us in the comments section for all the trading discussions.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, May 27, 2015.

1. ARC
      ARC
      Two upgrades this week
      1. Lonie to Rockliff (via T Mitch)
      2. Cripps to Parker

Leaves just $5k in the kitty. For some reason it makes me feel better when I only have just enough cash

TU - Double trades approved
      TD - Trades denied, try again
    2. TopHeavy
      TopHeavy
      I want to bring in Lewis, but due to the byes, will bring in Dylan Shiel
    3. Senator96
      Senator96
      Looks good ARC! Personally I will be holding Cripps for a bit longer now Judd and Gibbs are out. I think Cripps' 177 came when Judd was missing.

For me this week its all about finding a way to get Rockliff in. I have enough $ to do Cripps-Rockliff as a sole trade but much keener on flicking someone like Lang instead but that will involve a double trade and as well know there aren't too many rooks demanding to be picked. Things might look a bit clearer after teams tomorrow night hopefully.

4. leb42
      leb42
      Like most people who didn't pick up Rocky will be getting him in this week. My problem is who to trade out... Cripps is probably most likely to go, but Oxley and Miller are other considerations. Am $200 short on trading Tarrant for him and swinging Krak forward! Opinions?
    5. _turnitups_
      _turnitups_
      Torn on which midfield rookie to move on this week. If I were to hold onto Cripps, either Touk Miller or CEY would need to make way.

TU: Touk Miller > Rocky
      TD: CEY > Rocky
    6. TopHeavy
      TopHeavy
      The reason i got rid of Miller instead of CEY is he is worth more and has a higher BE
    7. anthak
      anthak
      I'm doing these 2 trades too
    8. anthak
      anthak
      CEY has a better ave than Miller too!
      It's a no brained based on these 3 metrics.

9. boydshow
      boydshow
      Bailey Dale came on about 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter for his 32, not just the last quarter. He would be a decent scorer if given full games but I suspect he will get the chop at the selection table this week, with our VFL side winning by 150 points. If he survives he will be very tempting as there are not many options around
    10. PHIL
      PHIL
      I think Cripps has still got a bit in him. He is attending all the bounces and with Juddy and Gibbs not going to Sydney this week I reckon he will step up. Worth hanging onto over CEY and Miller IMO.
      Future Captain
    11. stripey
      stripey
      With no analysis at all Millers average is low because of his really poor scoring in his first couple of games... Take that out and they would be very comparable.. That said Touk should go first as he is currently worth more!
    12. leb42
      leb42
      worth noting that Miller has the bye in rnd 12 while CEY's bye is rnd 11 - gives Miller an extra week to earn some cash if you want to offload him during the bye rounds
    13. shark05
      shark05
      Keep Oxley a bit longer
    14. Nick
      Nick
      I also think its a bit premature to be getting rid of Cripps.

As I got Rocky last week, I'll be going Salem > Parker (via Titch)

Round 12 bye is going to be fun, but just not sold on bringing in a GWS mid!

15. insider
      insider
      yep i wouldnt mind pushing the limit on this too. at least for another week.
      I ended up doing HarryO to Rockliff and jack lonie to Dale.
    16. Mad_Mattigan
      Mad_Mattigan
      This is the reason I'm actually looking at Wines (next week)... Great start to the year before being injured and Port share the rd 13 bye with GWS.
    17. Mad_Mattigan
      Mad_Mattigan
      Bulldogs swung the axe this week and he still made the cut... (By dodging it!)...
      First gamer in Hamling might get the Green too.
    18. boydshow
    19. willy
      willy
      What are peoples thoughts on the following. Robbie Tarrant is about to drop some cash so was looking at moving him on for T.Mitch and on top of that move Harry O - JZ (via McKenzie to def) leaving 80k and 20 trades. Just worried about the now 480k price tag on T.Mitch! Also thought of leaving Harry O in def and getting Hibberd?

TU - Do the Tarrant - TMitch and Harry - JZ - 80k

TD - Do Tarrant - TMitch and Harry - Hibberd 126k

Comment for other options......Thanks in advance