TS Fantasy NBA

Discussion in 'Blog' started by anthak, Aug 25, 2015.

By anthak on Aug 25, 2015 at 10:00 AM
  1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Its been great to see so many people recommitting to play again this season (and a shame that some have said they are stepping away).

If y'all missed it, Steve posted an NBA thread a couple of weeks ago to welcome everyone back for the new season - our 6th year in a row running these fantasy NBA leagues at TS.

Here are the leagues as they're looking for this season:

Each division is ranked based on last season's final standings, and then teams promoted and relegates up and down accordingly.
    If there are any teams who drop out this year, all teams will move up in the order they are listed here:

Teams in bold have recommitted already. Teams in italic have already stated they are out...

<p class='p1][span class='s1]PREMIER: Stowie; Ruddy; HEAVER; Karlos; Rev; Mick; jet; Dabombers; Steve; LiQuiD_SiXx; bgt2110; anthak.
    <p class='p2]
    <p class='p1][span class='s1]DIVISION 1: Walesy; Owen; Fez; Pearcey47; crossy; Philosoraptor; costak; Jasmine; rodgo; headmandude; yumcha; ddsaints.
    <p class='p2]
    <p class='p1][span class='s1]DIVISION 2: nicksnow; 6'10; maggots; Don_Cottagers; trav00; doolz; underachievers; HEATalicious; OutKast_au; Rad_E_Cool; tasho; Spurs_jay.
    <p class='p2]
    <p class='p1][span class='s1]DIVISION 3: lethal; smokinjoemisiti; hawker; Lano24; doobs; Jmulldihno; Peaches; sparks1511; Jaammiiee; clintongary; BradM; insider.
    <p class='p2]
    <p class='p1][span class='s1]emergencies: Emes; chris88; grav; macca118;

We're still obviously looking for a whole bunch of folk to recommit, however the main purpose of this thread is to propose and discuss a new structure of the leagues for the 2016/17 season and beyond.

Back around this time last year, Walesy suggested this format and it seems to have a lot of merit. There were other suggestions at the time as well, but I reckon Walesy's idea incorporated them as well. With promotions and relegations criteria already decided for last season, we couldnt implement it straight away, however if we decide on it now, for '16/17, we can then work out how the teams will move into the leagues for next season, so that we all know what we're playing for this season.

Here is the proposal verbatim:

<table id='tblPostBody71774' width='100%' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='0' align='left' border='0' style='color: #444444; margin-bottom: 10px;]
    <tbody>

<td align='left' valign='top' style='padding: 0px; border: 0px; text-align: left; width: 100%;]
    <div id='spBody' class='Forum_Normal' style='color: #000000;]
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]from Walesy:
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px;]
    <p style='margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 40px;]One idea that I like (Maybe to think about for next year), is to structure the following.

Premier league

8 stay

4 move down to

1st Division.

4 move up

2 stay

8 move down into

4 conference leagues.

Of which, 2 move up into the 1st division.

Of course, would require more leagues. :D But I think it provides a good level of ability to move up through to the premier league without being too punishing on the guys already at the pointy end.

What do you all think?

Are we happy to change? Does anyone suggest any variations to the proposed structure? Is anyone against the idea and think we should stay the same?

Let us know what you think in the comments below...

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by anthak, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Rad_E_Cool
      Rad_E_Cool
      Agree! It should just be one conference. You could have situations where the top 3 teams on W-L and Points For are on the same side of the divide, which leads to unfavourable early-round playoffs.
      The NBA doesn't deal with this issue due to the geographic constraints, but we don't have them so shouldn't have this issue present.
    2. anthak
      anthak
      I like that drafting strategy!
    3. anthak
      anthak
      Good to see so many comments.

Personally, i like the idea of the conference leagues feeding into Div 1, rather than what we have now. But its interesting to see some who are advocating for status quo are teams currently in lower leagues.

I am ok with having a 2nd IR, but im not fussed either way.

Steve, the change in structure has gotta be for '16/17. And before this season starts, we should decide on how teams will go into Div 1 and conferences next season.

On the divisions within leagues, i personally like it how it is.
      Whenever ive created a new league, the divisions have been based on draft order, like seeding... but i like the rivalries that get built up over time from being in same division as others year after year.
      However its easy enough to implement, so im happy enough to change it year by year based on draft order if thats what is favourable to most.

Good discussion

4. anthak
      anthak
      Yeah, I reckon we could easily get enough interest if we tried. So many places to promote for people to join in. Which we dont do much currently.
      Sounds good

5. walesy
      walesy
      Cool, so we're looking at changing it for next season. Very good. :D

Think we might need to get some polls happening.
    6. Ruddy
      Ruddy
      I still have nightmares about that season! My first pick was Boozer, who, a week after the draft, tripped over his gym bag while walking around his house in the dark and broke his arm. Missed most of the season, and then was just crap.
    7. Ruddy
      Ruddy
      I like the conference style of Walesy's idea, however i'd probably prefer if only 3 moved between premier and div 1, rather than 4.
    8. Owen
      Owen
      What's the latest we can let everyone know whether we're in again?
    9. anthak
      anthak
      No particular rush right at this minute. We're still waiting on 6 people, including yourself.

It would be a shame if you could not go on. How long do you think you'll need to decide?

10. Owen
      Owen
      Well it turns out I'll be moving up to Darwin for a year and have no idea on how long to get internet access. If we have the draft about a week before the season starts I'll probably be good, any earlier and I would have set an autopick (and I don't really want to do that).
    11. Steve
      Steve
      We will be having the draft on Sunday 25th of October which is 3 days before the season starts.

The reason for having the draft later this year is to avoid the situation last year where some of the player's position status changed to dual after we had held the draft and before the season commenced.
    12. Owen
      Owen
      Cool, well then - yeah I guess I'm in. I'm also for Walesy's change to the relegations.
    13. anthak
      anthak
      Great to hear, Owen
    14. Owen
      Owen
      I've got to at least try and get myself back into the premier league don't I? Can't quit after getting relegated, don't won't to leave as a loser. Bad drafting last year, very bad drafting. I'll be better this season.
    15. chris88
      chris88
      Oh god, that season was the stuff of nightmares.