Best Buys - Round 2

Discussion in 'Blog' started by port_leschenault, Apr 4, 2018.

By port_leschenault on Apr 4, 2018 at 11:58 PM
  1. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Firstly, I want everyone to realise how great the TS stats section is. Seriously go clink on the link and check out all the information on different tabs. It's a gold mine of information. Huge props to @walesy always delivering the goods that we enjoy. Onto the article.

I want to also bring attention to something that is really useful that I think is new (or I've only discovered it this season). When on SC site itself and on their Player Research tab there is now a column called $ Per Point. It's basically how many dollars each point a player gets is worth, the lower the better.

[​IMG]

It highlights perfectly why rookies are so important and even if a rookie doesn't score lots, they are still valuable to our sides. Take for comparison Dom Barry and Andrew Brayshaw. Despite Brayshaw making more points (120 v 106), Barry is the better rookie because at his price his scores are worth $2213 per point compared to Brayshaw's $3305, and will make us more money in the long run (assuming he plays).

As @anthak mentioned in his HS article, cheap rookies are the bedrock of any SC team and this is more evidence of it. All conveniently located on the site to help us with trading. Thanks VS!

[​IMG]
    Player of the Week - Tim Kelly (Geelong)
    This week is always more about taking a long view at all the rookies so not going to spend much time here especially as we should all have him but after 2 big tons, Kelly is clearly the best of the lot and could very well take Barlow's "rookie keeper" mantle. All in a team that's got 3 of the most talked about mids in the comp. Impressive.

-

I've separated all the rookies (I've defined this as those under $220k, arbitrary definition but a line had to be made somewhere) into their positions and will talk about them all as a group. Easier that way because my wordcount was getting too high doing them individually.

[​IMG]
    Defence is the smallest of the 3 main positions but there's a lot of good quality rookies to be had. The first 5 on that list should all be great cash cows and job security seems to be good, with Murphy the shakiest. Guthrie looks ok but at his price I'd have him only if you already have the other 4 and you don't want to use extra cash to get Bonner.

Naughton isn't delivering for his price, so if owners don't think he or the Bulldogs can turn it around, then consider moving him on either to one of the main 4 or Bonner if applicable. Anyone selecting Brown is a masochistic or a Zac Dawson addict jonesing for a spud fix.

[​IMG]
    Mids are probably a bit lighter than we'd hope for or had in previous years but we still have some good options. Kelly and Holman are playing as you'd hope mature-agers would and look set to make a lot of money. The likes of Fogarty, Banfield and Barry should all be making money too if they keep playing. It's an important if - all have shaky job security and could just as easily be dropped this round or next if form or bad losses dictate it.

The others here are all your expensive options. I personally wouldn't trust Jacobs score last round because he could always end up tagging but he is a more seasoned vet, so if he is getting the mid time should stay in team and do well. Don't trade into any of the others but don't trade out specifically unless you need to get on the bandwagon of another rookie. They should all have the best job security of the new players (except maybe Clark) and a good score in Rd 3 is worth more than one in the last 2 rounds because it will stay in 3-round price rises for longer.

[​IMG]
    English is on his own and it seems a bit silly to talk about just one player but he is a unique case. He is playing and looks like a decent cash cow so far and Bulldogs should persist with him even if he's having a bad game so it's obvious why he's so popular. One thing to consider with bringing him in his how it affects your Captain strategy if you're trying to use Cameron or Olango etc as a loophole option in the ruck. It may not be worth if it all your players are playing and you can't get that second chance to improve your C score.

[​IMG]
    Forwards, forwards everywhere. Have we really had so many options? The problem here, apart from being spoilt for choice is that there is a lot of potential land mines. Waterman may have the third-best BE but if Kennedy is back in Rd4/5 and he's dropped then you could end up holding onto him for a long time. Ryan is clear #1 and I'd say Fritsch is number 2. After that it really comes down to personal preferences.

So you have anyone on that list with a negative BE, then hold onto them, it's not worth gambling on someone else. Though do note ZGL owners that he is in doubt for this weekend and he doesn't have the best of job security to begin with.

Trading wise, you really should only be trading out an expensive guy like Rayner. Even if Fogarty isn't looking as good as the others, if you have him but have more pressing concerns then address them first. Marshall is doing well but will rely on goals, Gowers has unknown job security, Garlett/Venables don't look like having a high ceiling.

[​IMG]
    Going to list only the players with best BE here. Going higher in price and you enter the mid-price zone which is quite a gamble you really shouldn't make once the game has started. As discussed in previous thread, these players are more risky to select because there's no guarantee these guys will continue their scoring which is their main drawcard since they wont make as much as cheaper rookies. History says none are likely to be keepers, and only 1 or 2 will be worth it as cash cows. Caveat emptor.

Bonner is the most likely candidate, he has strong job security now and playing a SC friendly game on a team that should be winning a lot. Christensen has the history to be a 80-90ppg player across a season. Fisher has had a major role change and could be worth it if this is him breaking out. The others are likely to depend on midfield time and role in respective sides. If these guys do pay off then they will peak early so be prepared for that if when it comes.

-

That's it! Hope this helps you have an idea on how to set up your team the best for price changes and how to set up for the rounds ahead. Let us know in the comments your trade dilemmas and any queries/commects you have.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 10

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by port_leschenault, Apr 4, 2018.

• Tags:
    1. RPritch
      RPritch
      I have Bont and haven't even considered trading him out, seems a bit rash to me
    2. Jason
      Jason
      I couldn't pick Bont this year for SC, first in a few years that I haven't done so.

Our forwardline at the Bulldogs is currently so dysfunctional that I expect him to continue to spend time down there, which puts a lower ceiling on his SC scoring.

If his teammates magically extract the digit and start playing a whole lot better, Bont has some upside for SC against his current price. But I'm not optimistic that our team is going to magically get a whole lot better in the short term unfortunately.

You might be better off with a sideways trade into McLean or Macrae instead of Bont this year.
      • Like Like x 2
    3. IPOD
      IPOD
      Was all locked and loaded on Mills and Hibberd out for Simpson and Bonner and realized that Toby Greene is still out.
      Can play Fritsch and run with the 2 original trades or do i not pull the trigger one one and rid myself of the Greene machine?
      TU- Stick with your plans of hibberd and Mills
      TD - do one of and say bye to Greene
      also if i do choose just one of the defenders must stay t do a Greene trade who stays?
      • Like Like x 1
    4. MrsBear
      MrsBear
      Need some help to try and get an edge over @Bearfly

Got the twin horrors of Rockliff and Lambert but am $37k short of moving both on for TMitch and Coniglio

Thumbs up - bring in TMitch in mids and Zac Fisher up fwd via dpp
      Thumbs down - bring in Coniglio and Oliver
      Option 1 - Coniglio and Selwood
      Option 2 - Coniglio and Parker
      Option 3 - Coniglio and Macrae
      Option 4 - different combination (comment)

If I go with Coniglio I have $616,600 available for 2nd trade
      If TMitch only $415,500

Help please
      • Dislike x 2
      • Option 2 x 2
      • Option 3 x 2
      • Like x 1
      • Option 1 x 1
    5. IPOD
      IPOD
      i went option 2 but like TD too
    6. Grizzles
      Grizzles
      I've been really considering Oliver for Crouch. The only thing that has me worried is that he comes up against Jacobs this week who squashed him in the first half of the JLT game. Don't really feel you can go wrong with options Down, 1 or 2.
    7. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      Yeah I thought I was being harsh on Hibberd too. You just have to make your own call, nothing wrong with being conservative about not wanting to get rid of prems. Just as J said, his role being a forward right now is really bad for high scores you'd want.
      • Like Like x 2
    8. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Talk of a different role for Hibberd convinced me, although I wouldn't say he is gone for good. Gave the nod to Shagger Hurn and yes I can hear a twang in the distance. No risk, no reward.
      • Like Like x 1
    9. anthak
      anthak
      I like it :)
    10. Fitzy
      Fitzy
      One for the thumbs

TU - Langdon to Venables
      TD - Hold the trade
      Option 1 - Langdon to Christensen

I do value holding trades, the main questions are, is Venables JS good enough to warrant the trade for cash gen?
      Or, is Christensen going to make enough money, while scoring well enough to warrant the trade. He would take my F6 position over Fritsch/Ryan. But this option would also leave me with about 10k spare so not much room to move for future trades...
      • Like Like x 2
      • Option 1 Option 1 x 2
    11. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Tylo
      @Bearfly said:

Just want to clear something up here - how do you figure Barry as having shaky JS???

I can assure you that there isn't a single player not in the side that plays a similar role with anywhere near the form to even challenge Dom - I closely watched the Port Magpies game on Saturday and the only players on the AFL list that had anywhere near the form to challenge for senior selection were inside mids (Atley, Snelling) and forwards (Thomas, Neade) - in fact, the best 6 players in the Magpies game only comprised 3 AFL listed players, the other 3 were Magpies contracted "top-up" players (including my landlords son Levi Proude).

Barry at present has pretty solid JS - the coaches love the way he's playing his role within the team, and there's no real pressure from similar types of players in the magoos atm

Hey Bear. Wouldn't Amon be the likely threat for Barry?
      Surely not. Heaven forbid. Never happen. :rolleyes:
      • Like Like x 4