2018 SC Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by JPK, Jan 20, 2018.

1. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

I pulled the trigger on Brayshaw to Murphy & Bont to Danger. Leaves me with $140k in the bank. Very happy with my start so far.
    Capture.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  2. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

so I have a dilemma and need some expert advice. Currently have merrett and zorko both facing huge be's, do I stick with them knowing they could end being great m7 m8's or upgrade one this week to dusty then next week the other to danger?

3. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

tough call gut says hold but being bold can be advantageous

4. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

HUGE balls going with christensen and fisher but it's paying of

5. eagle_eyed

I’d keep Dahl but can’t see Ellis being a top 10 defender.

6. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

Good looking team mate...

Maybe keep one or the other, I would ditch Zorko at this stage.

7. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

Good looking team mate. should go well

• Like Like x 1
  8. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

cheers team looks good on paper but its not performing, still not sure my other option is to move cyril to a rookie bank the cash for an early upgrade.

9. eagle_eyed

:mad:Rookie mistake when playing the loophole this week. Forgot to put e on Martin and dropped to 7610. Without the error I’d be ranked 1440 overall with 6997 points :mad:

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  10. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

Absolutely flying even with the mistake EE! I'm out at 35000~ :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

And I still get excited when I get 2000+ :p

• Like Like x 3
  12. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Manged to completely screw up my captain and VC this week.
    Fortunately for me it was a happy screw up - VC on T Mitchell, C on J Macrae.
    I'll take that 354 points, thankyou very much. :eek::eek::confused::confused::D:D

• Like Like x 4
  13. JPK

Anyone believe that Ed Phillips is a "must have " rookie this week? Or am I better off holding a week and looking towards someone like Tim Smith?

14. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

Bit hard to say, mate, not knowing your situation.....but I'm bringing him in, trading out Kelly and Murray, and that allows me to get Dusty as well.
    I'll look at Smith and Ridley next week.

15. JPK

I'm looking at dropping Tim Kelly and Jack Henry, and bringing in Elliot Yeo and either downgrading to Ed Phillips or upgrading to Brandon Parfitt or Tom McDonald.
    Torn because I always planned to have a warchest going into the byes so that I could get more 2-up 1-down trades done during the byes. The issue always seems to be finding decent rookies at this time of year, so sometimes I go with the "once there's someone half-decent available, take him" philosophy.

16. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

I had McDonald on my watch too but injury concerns swayed me away from him. I'm hoping Phillips gets some game time with the Saints going terrible, as Banfield/Brayshaw have just about served their purpose too.
    I'm looking at going Henry > Smith next week and maybe get Ridley too, if all goes well, then I'll have my warchest to go the same way you're heading. Looking at Yeo after his bye. I still need one mid and 2 fwds.

17. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

brought in Phillips last week - given the saints struggles I think they'll play the kids so he should have a good go at it.

As a bombers man - I hope Ridley gets a good run... Hurley coming back next week may put a query on his job security.

However take it with a grain of salt I am having my worst SC year ever, mid 30k doesn't stack up well against the SF Bulls past record over the last 10 years, hence why I have been trying to mix things up go early on players pick PODs to try and catch up!

• Like Like x 2
  18. JPK

Right, I never like to see a player injured, even less so when he's in my team (footy team, not ORFFU team or SC team), but I can't for the life of me understand the Champion Data scoring system.

Jack Darling, who played less than a quarter of footy, for 1 kick, 1 handball, and 50% DE scored 14 SC points.
    Meanwhile, Willie Rioli (who is in my 'FU side, so I do have some bias here) played the whole game (82% time on ground apparently) for 7 kicks, 2 handballs, and 55.6% DE, along with 2 tackles and 1 goal 1 behind, only scored 46 SC points.
    I understand that CD have all these lovely formulas in the background to calculate their magical 3300 points per game (or near abouts), but I can't understand how Darling scores effectively 1/3 of Rioli's points for less than 1/4 of the disposals, a slightly worse DE, and no score at all. It just doesn't make sense to me.

There's plenty more examples of things like this, that make very little sense when it comes to CD scoring for SC, this is just the most recent one that has gotten to me.
    Oh, making it "worse", AFL Fantasy gave Darling 5 points, and Rioli 48 points...

Anyone able to help me out here?

• Like Like x 1
  19. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Found this with a google search hope it helps

So there’s a quite number of people confused as to how SuperCoach scoring works and why a player like Dayne Zorko lost 15 points in one quarter on the weekend. I’m here to tell you why and explain the unique system behind it!

Firstly, 3300 points are allocated for every game so if you calculate every player’s score from both teams it will equal approximately 3300 and therefore a lot of the player’s scores vary. You may have noticed some scores may get scaled up and down on final scores due to the 3300 points allocated.

You may have also noticed some players tend to score more on certain goals than others. This is because SuperCoach also allocates more points to ‘clutch’ moments rather than junk time goals and possessions. So for example kicking a goal when your team is up by 100 points may get your player 10 points whilst kicking the winning goal with 2 seconds left may get your player 30 points! It sounds good doesn’t it!?

On the flip side, however, if the game is close and your player hasn’t touched the ball or given away a free kick at a crucial time, then your player starts losing points like Dustin Martin did against Geelong the other week when he went missing in the final quarter when the game was close and lost out on valuable points. Even though a player get subbed out like Fyfe in Round 1, his score still went up as it is calculated that he had a huge impact when the game was on the line and is consequently awarded a few extra points.

I know this system may be frustrating but it’s what makes this game so unique compared to other fantasy comps where you get points for clanger kicks and only a few amount of stats whilst SuperCoach uses a variety of stats, such as effective smothers and pressure acts (maybe that’s how Cyril gets many points without touching the ball much!).

To summarise, a 35 possession and one goal game, with a 70% disposal efficiency in a 100 point win, may get you less than a 20 possession, 70% disposal efficiency and winning goal after the siren. This is a huge factor in SuperCoach and could help you with who you trade in such as proven match winners in Chad Wingard and Joel Selwood who often stand up when the game is on the line and as a result get monster scores.

A good way to monitor the progress of your SuperCoach players, is to keep an eye on luxury points. Although a standard goal amounts to eight SuperCoach Points – one of the biggest point-getters in the competition is contested marks from the opposition which is also worth eight points. This is where a player such as North Melbourne’s Scott Thompson is so prolific.

Should your player, such as Travis Cloke take a contested mark, it’s an automatic six point-play. But one of more unknown point-earners, are the players who get the loose-ball gets, which are worth 4.5 points.

Joel Selwood earns four points for every free kick he gets, whilst tackle machine Tom Rockliff gains four points for every tackle laid. But Trent Cotchin, who ranks second in the competition for clanger kicks, loses four points for every missed target by foot.

Overall, efficiency is king in this game. Champion Data rank those who have a disposal efficiency of at least 70% as elite, so keep checking your players disposal efficiency – as this is where you’ll find your max gains. Remember, if your player kicks the ball and it does not travel the required 40 metres, you will not be awarded points for the action.

Hope this helps you guys out!
    Darlings score may be influenced by a loose ball get or his possessions may have lead to a goal, but who knows i'm no expert

• Like Like x 2
  20. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Champion Data, the company that records the stats for SuperCoach, have revealed some of the key statistics involved in the complicated SuperCoach scoring system.

GOALS
    Goal: 8 points

Behind: 1 point

Score assist: 3 points

CONTESTED FOOTY
    Intercept contested mark: 8 points

Contested mark: 6 points

Contested possession at ground level: 4.5 points

Intercept possession: 4.5 points

UNCONTESTED FOOTY
    Mark on a lead: 5 points

Uncontested mark: 2 points