Best Buys: Monty

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jun 24, 2015.

By Iain on Jun 24, 2015 at 10:00 AM
  1. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

The byes have been especially brutal this year, well it seems that way anyway, so I'm sure I speak for the vast majority of us when I say thank god they're almost over. The Best Buys curse seems to be doing it's thing, but really there isn't much I can do about that so we just have to push on and hope for the best.

The Best Buy this week is Joey Montagna, he's been putting up great numbers all season and is a huge POD with barely anyone backing him in so far. The Saints may have been struggling to rack up the wins, but Montagna certainly hasn't struggled so far in racking up the points himself. The only real question is whether or not to bite the bullet and grab Joey now, or to wait a few more weeks and see if Gaz can get back to form.

The Best Buys are a bit short this week, primarily because the majority of decent options are all set to lose 10-20 grand over the next couple of rounds, so hopefully there's a couple a players you haven't yet considered there.

Round 11: ADE, RIC, WBD, BL, CAR, HAW

Round 12: GCS, StK, SYD, COL, ESS, FRE

Round 13: NM, GWS, PTA, WCE, GEE, MEL

<div>

DEFENSE
    ROOKIES

Hugh Beasley (BRI) DEF 102.4k 46 +33k

Beasley is on the bubble at the right time, after he playing his second game last week and averaging 46 he will most likely increase in value by around 33 grand after his next match. Cheaply priced at just over 100 grand he could be the defensive downgrade most sides have looking for.

Joel Hamling (WBD) DEF 170.8k 60 +24k
    Hamling isn't on the bubble after playing his third game on the weekend, but at 170 grand is still priced well enough to include. An average of 60 will see his price go up by around 24 grand next week, as long as he stays on the field.

MID-PRICERS

Bachar Houli (RIC) DEF 486.2k 103 8.5%

Houli continues to be one of the leading defenders this season in SC, without quite cementing a spot in our upgrade plans. Now averaging 103 and sitting in 8.5% of teams he has some good POD value, but the Tigers will need to put on another win-streak to really get him up there.

Cale Hooker (ESS) DEF 429.2k 93 7.6%
    Hooker makes it in this week, but really it's because so many options are set to lose significant value in the coming weeks. Averaging 93 and costing 430 grand he is decent value, but really needs to step up another level to be considered a top defender.

PREMIUMS

Luke Hodge (HAW) D/M 556.6k 110 23.8%

Hodge has been excellent this season, barring his suspension, and after a 122 in his last game is now sitting on a healthy 110 average. Costing 556 grand he is priced appropriately for his numbers and will likely see a few more coaches pick him up.

Rory Laird (ADE) DEF 517k 97 4.8%
    Laird has been in good form this season, stepping it up to excellent in the absence of Jaensch and Smith's injury woes. Now priced at a bit under 520 grand he is pricey for his average of 97, but has averaged 125 from the last 3 games. Sitting in just under 5% of teams he is a good POD, and could well be a starter for many coaches next year.

MIDFIELD
    ROOKIES

Elliott Kavanagh (ESS) MID 145.1k 63 +45k
    Kavanagh has finally made it to the bubble, and with an average of 63 is set to make some good coin after his next game. A 45 grand price-rise will see him nearing the 200 grand mark but if he keeps getting games and scoring like that he'll probably be worth it even then.

MID-PRICERS

Lachie Neale (FRE) MID 533.2k 111 12%

Neale has been a revelation for the Dockers this year, going from unheralded to star in just half a season. Averaging 111 and costing 533 grand he is good value at current price and is still sitting in only 12% of sides. Opposition teams still aren't putting much effort into shutting him down, and if that continues he could well average 115+ by year's end.

Dyson Heppell (ESS) MID 534.8k 109 8.9%

Heppell has also stood up this season, which is a good thing for the Dons as Watson has been underperforming. Now seemingly the number one man in the Essendon midfield Hep is producing good numbers with an average of 109 and a price of 535 grand. Still only in 9% of teams Heppell also has decent POD value.

Scott Thompson (ADE) MID 498.8k 108 3.3%

Scotty T has been excellent this season, turning back the clock to average 108. With a selection rate of just 3.3% he is a big POD, and is priced very well at under 500 grand. Thommo may see a decline in his scoring with Sloane back in the side, but if not he is an absolute bargain.

Rory Sloane (ADE) MID 483.5k 104 9.3%
    Speaking of the Sloane Ranger, he bounced back on the weekend with a very nice 117 to show that his injury issues are now behind him. Averaging 104 for the season and priced at 483 grand he is good value at the moment, and if he can get back to his early season form should be considered by all teams with a midfield spot still free.

PREMIUMS

Leigh Montagna (StK) MID 574.9k 119 1.7%

Joey has been in amazing form this year, averaging 119 on the back of a 125 point game in his last outing. His price is still low for his numbers, at only 575 grand, and he has massive POD value sitting in under 2% of sides. The Best Buy curse has been in full effect this year, but hopefully Monty can buck the trend for us.

Scott Pendlebury (COL) MID 558.7k 114 +4k 38%
    Pendles hasn't really been dependlebury this year, but is starting to get there once again after some consistent scores. Now averaging 114 for the year and priced at 560 grand he is good value, but already in a fair few teams at 38% selection. The Pies are looking to challenge for a finals spot well ahead of schedule, and if Pendles can get back to his best they are a real chance at making the 8.

REGULARS

Nathan Fyfe (FRE) MID 688.2k 134 63.8%

RUCK
    <strong style='font-size: 14px;]ROOKIES[/b]
    <strong style='font-size: 14px;]

[/b]
    Peter Wright (GCS) R/F 187.3k 32 -7k

<div>Wright hasn't performed too badly for a first year ruck/forward, but his price of almost 190 grand means his average of 32 from his first 2 games isn't up to par. A projected loss of around 7 grand means that his Supercoach prospects aren't great so far, but he is a R/F and may continue to get games so he might still be worth getting for some teams who want more bench coverage.

PREMIUMS

Sam Jacobs (ADE) RUC 519k 100 12.3%
    Sauce has been good this season, but not quite to the level most of his 12% of coaches were hoping. An average of 100 flat for a price of 519 grand is a bit on the high side, but given the other options this week it's as good as you'll get. The Crows are also challenging for a finals berth this year, and really need Jacobs to fire to get them there.

FORWARD
    ROOKIES

Toby McLean (WBD) FWD 117.3k 43 +26k
    McLean has gone under the radar with the glut of Bulldogs rookies coming into the team in recent weeks, but after a 67 in his last game to bring him on the bubble people are starting to take more notice. Costing under 120 grand and likely to increase in price by about 25 grand after his next game, the main concern is how many rookies can the Bulldogs keep playing?

Orazio Fantasia (ESS) FWD 168.4k 60 +35k

<div>A good pick-up from jp has included Orazio this week, who is on the bubble with an average of 60. If he keeps getting games then this is a good sign for the young forward, who will likely increase in value by around 35 grand next week. Costing almost 170 grand he is a bit pricey for a rookie, but has the best job security of the two on the bubble up forward this week.

MID-PRICERS

Marcus Bontempelli (WBD) M/F 417.3k 96 40.3%
    The Bont returned with a decent score on the weekend, but still has some work to do to get back to his early season heroics. Now averaging 96 for a price tag of around 420 grand is good value, but he's already in over 40% of teams so he doesn't have any real POD value to speak of. If he can stay on the park and go back to his earlier role then expect the points to flowing once again.

PREMIUMS

Tom Mitchell (SYD) M/F 520.4k 111 30.7%

Mitchell has been good but not great so far this season, but with his history of getting games we'll take good any day of the week from him. Now in just over 30% of sides and averaging 111 he is one of the best forwards going around, and should remain one if he stays on the park. Costing 520 grand and facing a price rise of around 15 grand after his next game means he is on the cheap side, but probably not for much longer.

Luke Dahlhaus (WBD) FWD 533.5k 105 8.4%

Dahl has been excellent this year, pushing his average to 105 for the first time and showing the advantages of a midfield-style small forward. Clearly one of the Dogs best he is having a break-out season, and is every chance to keep the big scores coming. Costing 533 grand he is decent value at the moment, but is facing a price drop of 13 grand after his next game.

Lance Franklin (SYD) FWD 527.2k 98 32.6%
    Buddy has been a bit quiet to start the season this year, but that is starting to turn around now. Averaging 98is a solid effort so far, but his almost 33% of coaches would be expecting more. Luckily for them, he's averaging 127 over his last 3 games. A price of almost 530 grand is definitely expensive for a bloke averaging under 100, but with his potential to go large and the Swans focussed on September Buddy should keep on with his recent form and bring his average back up to the 105 region.

REGULARS

Dustin Martin (RIC) M/F 596.3k 112 45%

Dane Swan (COL) M/F 500.8k 101 56.9%

WAITING LIST

Gary Ablett (GCS) MID 734.6k 103 -58k

Ivan Maric (RIC) RUC 537.5k 100 -32k

Jordan Lewis (HAW) MID485.2k 98 -32k

Pearce Hanley (BRI) MID 557.7k 89 -30k

Robbie Gray (PTA) M/F 546.5k 110 -26k

David Armitage (StK) MID 571.9k 113 -22k

Thanks for joining us once again for the Best Buys, hopefully this last bye round isn't too brutal and good luck to all. As always feel free to join in on the polls and trade discussions below.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jun 24, 2015.

1. jp
      jp
      Love the BBs from BB

Am i missing something or did you skip a few rookies this week? I thought we might see mention of Fantasia, Colquhoun and the less likely Luxford and Neal-bullen.

2. Iain
      Iain
      Good pick-up jp. Colquhoun, Luxford and Neal-Bullen have the bye this week but I've added Wright and Fantasia who were on another spreadsheet.
    3. jp
      jp
      I'm just excited about there finally being some good rookie options coming through :)
    4. TopHeavy
      TopHeavy
      Im tempted by JPK at 486k. I know his break even is 130, but seems good value and can see him going big again.
    5. bigbadbunks
      bigbadbunks
      I traded in Joey last year after round 7, he was averaging 118. He went on to score 48, 87, 58, 89, 103, 31, 86, 104, 47, 84, 83, 63 &amp; 80 for an average of 74 over those 13 games. He also missed round 14 due to '&#239;llness'. He is on my blacklist and maybe he will be on yours too at the end of this year if you trade him in this week.
    6. Senator96
      Senator96
      Thanks for the tip bigbadbunks, I've already got 2 underperformers in the mids Kennedy and Selwood plus rockliff with all his injuries so can ill afford another. That's not to say montagna will fall away again this year but with just 2 more spots to fill in the mids can afford to be a bit choosy, especially as ablett is likely to fill one of those provided his shoulder is not still stuffed.

I may need to trade out both Tarrant and Hogan this week. Looking at Fantasia and hoping Lambert will get a call up to consider him especially with fwd/mid mpp. I know nothing about Mclean and haven't see him play yet. Does anyone think is worth bringing him in, or will he likely be another Dale?

Thanks BB always a great article each week
    7. Waldo666
      Waldo666
      making me think twice that's for sure bbb!!
    8. Nick
      Nick
      Just did the maths and I can just pull off (with $1.5k to spare)

Lever > Beasley
      Lumumba > Hodge
      McKenzie > JPK or Sloane

Midfield complete and Defence having Saad and Oxley at D5 and D6.
      Rucks done, and 1 spot left to upgrade in the forward line.

Hoping that JPK can get back to his best! However Sloane provides value, but burnt me this year.

One for the thumbs...

TU: JPK
      TD: Sloane

Thanks

9. ARC
      ARC
      JPK added to the watch list for next week
    10. ARC
      ARC
      Tarrant has to go, was thinking McLean but now tempted by Fantasia. At this stage of the season I think we'll be stuck with the rookies we bring in. JS is more important than making $$$ (but both are nice)
    11. ARC
      ARC
      seems unnecessary
      - Lever will play again, beasley isn't a great option
      - Hodge is great, but not worth the $$$s
      - Sloane is a must get
    12. Tommy18
      Tommy18
      I disagree ARC. Hodge is a must get as he's far and away the best defender. You have to pay for that. As for Lever, sometimes we have to pull the trigger early to unlock the cash, even if there's more to be made. Not every trade needs to be a financial win by selling at their highest point and buying low.
    13. jamhead
      jamhead
      Not sold on fantasia's JS to be honest, more confident that Edwards will stay in the team for longer (I know they are different positions, just giving an opinion as a bombers supporter)
    14. HotPiesColdDrinks
      HotPiesColdDrinks
      Thoughts?

2 trades
      Tarrant to Fantasia
      Clark to Goddard/Dalhaus

That will complete my forward line.

I have Oxley as D6 and will then have to finish my midfield as Cripps is my current M7 (but a mighty good one). Fyfe, Pendlebury, Selwood, Kennedy, Sloane, Wines, Cripps, Yolmen (Steele, McKenzie, Boston). Selwood and Kennedy have been poor.

I figure I will leak more points up forward with Tarrant and Clarke with Dale in there as well then I would with Cripps/Yolmen/Boston/Steele as my M7,M8 and bench cover.

Sound move?

Currently have Gray, Martin, Swan, Franklin, Mitchell with Goddard/Dalhaus to complete.

TU - Goddard
      TD - Dalhaus
    15. HotPiesColdDrinks
      HotPiesColdDrinks
      Nick, I have both and I would go with Sloane. Kennedy has been very average. Sloane started the season off great and then had a few poor scores though in 2 of the games he was subbed off due to an injury. One I think he got subbed out with a calf and the second time was a cheekbone. Came back with a 94 after 4-5 weeks off and got 117 last week in his second game back.
      Kennedy just hasn't been scoring well period. I'm hoping it changes soon as I have him in my side but if I had to have one of them, I would choose Sloane.
    16. Senator96
      Senator96
      Agree hodge is a must get especially with the mpp. I'm not sure about flicking lever though, BE -7 and should be back either this week or next. As ARC mentioned more than likely we'll be stuck with most of the rookies we bring in from here so JS and reasonable scoring is important, for that reason I'll be steering clear of Beasley and paying some extra coin for Colquhoun.

Sloane over JPK, think there might be a bit too much sharing of the pie with all the quality Sydney mids but whatever the reason Kennedy has been below par this year and its been more noticeable to me since Mitchell came into the team.
    17. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      Any love for Boston, who like Hamling is a 3 gamer who should make decent coin if he can keep playing, avoid the vest and score 60 plus going forward ??

Kavanagh vs Boston vs Fantasia - which of these 3 is likely to have the best JS over the next 3-4 weeks ??

18. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      Pre-Thursday night teams trade options

Option 1
      McIntosh > Boston via Hodge dpp, Tarrant > Steele, Sheed > one of Mundy, Neale, Hanners, Steven, Armatage, Montagna with $28.6k (Steven) to $73.5k (Neale) in bank

Option 2
      McIntosh > Boston via Hodge dpp, Tarrant > Fantasia, Sheed > one of Mundy, Neale, Smitchell,Heppell, Sloane with $1.4k (S Mitchell) to $72.1k (Sloane) in bank

Option 3 (only if Lambert is named and not sub)
      McIntosh > Kavanagh via Hodge dpp, Tarrant > Lambert, Sheed > Danger with $14.8k in bank

I will be downgrading N Brown next week to build up the bank before upgrading a mid in Rd15.

TU - Option 1
      TD - Option 2

or comment for Option 3

19. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk