ORFFA 2018 Finals Weeks 1 & 2

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by JC, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Yeah, the rule is that the highest ranked wined picks their opponent, then the rest play as they can :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Being in the second week of the finals is foreign territory for me, however with my previous post I was working on the same basis as week 1 with the teams in the top half of the remaining finalists being immune from being selected by the top ranked team.

Thanks for the prompt clarification @Len, I have learnt something new regarding the ORFFA rules.

I agree with Len and don't think much separates the Misfts and Devils, with player availability likely to determine which side will perform better in week 2. I hadn't looked at Iron Knob as I didn't realise they were part of the equation, I don't envy @graeme's position of deciding the Cows week 2 opponent. After the mid-season bye the Devils have the lowest ceiling of the three clubs eligible to be chosen but they have been the most consistent and have had a higher floor than Iron Knob and the Misfits. Amazing effort from three IKC players to score 530 points between them on the weekend comprised of J Riewoldt (219), GAJ (158) and Macrae (153). With Josh Kelly having scored 205 in the last round of the ORFFA home and away season for the Misfits the Devils are the odd one out in not having a player register a double century in the past fortnight!

3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Sounds a bit like you’re selling yourself as best option for G to choose, DMA o_O
    I guess Waikikamoocow is your preferred opponent :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. dmandrews

@anthak I don't have a preference, just glad to still be alive. Which club is the best for Graeme to choose probably gets back to what he expects the Cows to be able to score. Based on post mid-season break form of Iron Knob, Marble Bar and Cradle Mountain, IK have been the least consistent, CM have been the most consistent and MB is in the middle. Of the teams Graeme can choose I think CMD are the most likely to surpass 1,300 points this weekend but the least likely to surpass 1,450 points.

• Like Like x 2
  5. snoz

snoz Moderator

So um.................when does trading open up ? o_Oo_O

• Like Like x 8
  6. anthak

I think I want to reverse our trade of Curnow for Rocky ;)

7. Len

Pretending it was a serious question :)
    Usually straight after finals are finished through until the end of November, Off December and reopen early Jan

• Like Like x 3
  8. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

When is that not a serious question!

• Like Like x 1
  9. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your input into my decision - very much appreciated! Will advise JC later this evening who the cows will play. As I said last week I am more interested in what happens in round 22 than what happened in the previous 21 rounds.

Just a quick comment on injuries, because I hope no one thinks we have been spared. Right now the unavailable cows - just the possible best 18 - ranked by position:
    Michael Hibberd
    Bailey Williams
    Darcy Gardiner
    Nat Fyfe
    Brad Crouch
    Aaron Hall
    Dan Howe (suspended)

Yep, 25% of the squad, Anyways, back to the research.

edit - choice of opponent sent to JC

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Len

Jamie Elliott says thanks for the mammaries

• Like Like x 1
  11. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Jamie Elliott - I still recall the message asking about him and the angst in letting go. We are likely to be talking a lot more this weekend Len. Wiling to bet that one of last year's finalists will be in the granny this year. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Len

It would seem most likely :)

13. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The fixture for week 2 of the finals is as follows:

SF1: Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles vs Marble Bar Misfits
    SF2: Iron Knob Codpieces vs Cradle Mountain Devils

Have also updated the OP so they're all in one spot. Good luck to all four teams this weekend.

• Like Like x 4
  14. dmandrews

Each semi final will be hosted by a team with one ORFFA premiership playing against a team aiming to win their first flag. Iron Knob are chasing their second flag and if successful will set a new record for the longest period between premierships of four years, having achieved the perfect undefeated, 20 win season in 2014. Waikikamoocow are attempting to be the third team in ORFFA history after the Chickens and Lefties to go back to back. The Marble Bar Misfits are aiming to become the first beaten Grand Finalist to win the premiership the next year, in order to make the 2018 GF they need to beat their 2017 nemesis - the Cows this weekend. For so long the Devils have been likened to Richmond due to having four or five stars with a sizeable gap to the supporting cast, together with their ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. However as with the Tigers in 2017 there was a metamorphosis with the Devils late in 2018, with the club playing consistent football with an even contribution across the team which has now developed depth.

From Round 2, 2017 until now the Cows have an imposing record of 35 wins and just two losses, however there are some wounded herd at the Cows in a race against time to take their place in the semi-final against the Misfits including prize-winning Cow Nat Fyfe. Star Misfits midfielder Josh Kelly who scored a double hundred in the last round of the home and away season is in doubt after suffering concussion in the finals win against the Cockatoos, also in doubt is MBM ruckman Paddy Ryder who injured his hip.

In the first week of the finals three Iron Knob players ranked in the top five for highest individual scores in the finals for the illustrious ORFFA Premiership Cup and the not quite as sought after Who Cares Cup, with key forward Jack Riewoldt scoring 219 and two IKC midfielders in Macrae (153) and GAJ (158) scoring 150’s. Number one Ruckman Rhys Stanley is expected to be out for 1 to 2 weeks due to a calf injury which would force the Codpieces to field an OOP ruck. Of the four semi finalists the Devils will be closest to fielding their full-strength side with number one ruckman Nankervis returning. Running defender Seedsman is listed as a test in his return from a hamstring injury.

The ORFFA will be hoping that the 2018 semi-finals are far closer than the home and away games between these teams. The Cows and Devils at home recorded wins by over 300 points however these margins were largely due to their respective opponents the Misfits (3 players short) and Iron Knob (1.95 players short) being unable to field full 15 player teams.

In the home and away games between these two teams earlier in 2018 the results were:

Round 5
    Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles 1,236 defeated Marble Bar Misfits 910

WI best: N Fyfe 151, S Menegola 121, J McVeigh 106, M Robinson 102, B Parfitt 94, D Prestia 90

MBM best: R Laird 110, C Daniel 109, C Ward 103, J Lloyd 94, L Whitfield 90, T Taranto 88

The Misfits side had only 12 players with no ruck, three forwards and only one player on the bench. Eventual 2018 Les W Medal winner – Cows midfielder Tom Mitchell was restricted to 75 by 2014 Les W Medal winner Callan Ward who scored 103, however another Cows midfielder and prominent vote-getter in Nat Fyfe ran amok with 43 disposals comprised of 18 kicks and 25 handballs, he also has 13 clearances, seven inside 50’s and kicked a goal to receive the 5 Les W Medal votes.

Round 10
    Cradle Mountain 1,303 defeated Iron Knob 988

CMD best: D Zaharakis 126, J Gresham 121, J Hopper 112, D Heppell 111, T Nankervis 103, J Redden 100

IKC best: J Macrae 102, J Waite 101, R Henderson 94, G Ablett 86, J Darling 81, D Mirra 81

Iron Knob key forward Jack Riewoldt went off with concussion after five minutes and IKC played a man short in defense due to Jackson Nelson not taking the field, so for the vast majority of the game they were two players short. For the Devils Gresham kicked a career-high six goals and Zaharakis had 33 disposals comprised of 27 kicks and six handballs to earn the 5 Les W Medal votes.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Len

Excellent Summary Dean :)
    The Misfits were the obvious pick for the cows with Kelly down and Ryder doubtful, had Williams been one more week ahead in his rehab I'd have more hope, but if we end up with all 4 ruckmen on the sidelines the outcome would appear clear before the bounce..

Good luck to all involved, in these and in the Dawson finals!

• Like Like x 3
  16. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Quality work as always dean.
    Not picking sides or showing bias but hope the Devils can turn it on for ya this weekend.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Who's the player that is missing a foot, or a hand or something @jimbowan ?

• Like Like x 1
  18. anthak

I think Jack Reiwoldt lost his mind for most of the game. Is that the game?

• Like Like x 1
  19. dmandrews

Yes, Jack Riewoldt suffered a blow to the head 5% of the way into the Round 10 game against CMD so missed the remaining 95% of the game. In the rooms after the Round 10 loss to the Devils, Riewoldt said later in the season there would be a game where he 'would gain superpowers, play as if he was two men and kick 10 goals'. Jack's teammates and their coach @jimbowan had forgotten about this comment which they attributed to the concussion when just before the team was about to run out onto the ground last weekend for Iron Knob's sudden death final against the Gundagai Grasshoppers Jack said to the playing group "Today's the day that I unleash my superpowers, play like two men, kick 10 goals, have 25+ disposals and take more than a dozen marks." Hodgey responded "Are we sure Jack hasn't suffered another concussion." But sure enough, in Iron Knob's most important game of the season Jack was true to his word, having 26 disposals, taking 14 marks, kicked 10 goals and scored a season-high 219 SC points in IKC's 173 point win, in the process becoming the first player to kick 10 goals in an ORFFA final.

• Like Like x 4
  20. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

@dmandrews watch super Jack score 60 this week to balance out the universe and screw me over lol

• Like Like x 2