AFL Dynasty New 12 Team cash League - Full

Discussion in 'Leagues' started by BrockyFreo, Feb 18, 2019.

1. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

I'm putting together a new Dynasty AFL fantasy team. It's similar to Supercoach/AFL Dreamteam, however instead of redrafting every year, you keep your entire team.

The idea of this is to build a team that can win more than 1 premiership. You draft younger players as a priority who you will have for years to come.

The draft will be a slow draft, with 2 hour to have your pick, and will take place over the course of 4 or 5 days.

You'll pick a full team of 22 on field players, with scoring adjusted so there is an even spread of midfielders/forwards/rucks and backs throughout the top 200 players available.

The challenge will be in drafting a team that can score more points than any of the other 11 teams in the competition. We are looking to start drafting straight away and everything is setup ready to go.

Cost is $55 per year (pay 2 years upfront before the draft starts). Payouts are for 1st and 2nd place, as well as for most overall points, most points scored in a single week and for minor premier (top of ladder).

We use Facebook Messenger to communicate between owners.

Some key things to be aware of:
    1. We use Ultimate Footy as the platform (with the premium features plus purchased).
    2. The teams are 22 players on field and18 bench (4 x Backs, 8 x Mids, 1 x Ruck, 4 x Fwd, 4 x Back/Fwd Utility, 1 x Mid/Ruck Utility).
    3. The scoring system is unique and is the most exciting thing about the league. I've come up with a scoring system that equalises the differences between the positions and rewards key position players more than they usually are.
    Of course top 3 players (by average last year for example) are still T. Mitchell, Grundy and Macrae. But also in the top 25 players are Harris Andrews (190 spoils last year), Lance Franklin (averages 7 marks per game) and Shannon Hurn (Disposal efficiency is a hugh 85.5%).

I've created a league that allows you to draft the players you like from the different positions while still being able to compete scoring-wise (you don't have to use your first 5 draft picks on midfielders to be competitive).

So if you are looking for a challenge, and are serious (must be committed to the next 5 years and more), then post a comment/questions below or direct message me. We are looking for the last few members of the league and then we will begin drafting.

2. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

Still got 2 spots left for any more last minute interest!

3. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

What do you have in place to prevent teams sitting in the bottom 4 2 years in a row dumping the league after the initial payment term, leaving behind teams not worth picking up and dealing with it when, not if, it happens?
    How do you deal with someone how legitimately has to drop out of the league?
    I did read it with interest and meant to ask these and other questions earlier but forgot.

On top of the $55 entry fee do the coaches also have pay the UF upgrade fee in order to gain access to stats on an even basis?
    Does the banker have a history of being involved in these that we can see reliability in?
    I've heard of magic formulas before that equalise leagues and just endured a season in a different sport that I genuinely didn't enjoy as the latest result, are you able to share the scoring algorithyms and the tests run outcomes that show how they play out?

Essentially I think you'd be more likely to get buy in if we had some answers for these at least.

4. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

My query was how do 12 teams pick 40 players each (480 players) in 4-5 days ?

Does the clock turn off while people are sleeping ?

What happens if a team doesn't take their pick within the 2 hour limit ?

Most ORFF*leagues drafts would have picked 468-504 players and I am fairly sure took at least 2-3 weeks.

This format would appeal to some and not others.

5. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

Cheers Len,
    1. Everyone pays 2 years upfront and continues to have at least the current season and the next season paid in advance, and a team needs to give a full years notice if wanting to leave (so that means notice given before the current years draft & current season). This is held as a bond over the teams to ensure owners are fighting to improve the team at all times.
    My experience in Dynasty is much more extensive in NFL obviously as there is not too much Dynasty in Australia in regards to AFL. In those leagues, Having the year paid in advance stops people trashing a team and leaving (or leaving without notice) and if they do, the free year is a great incentive for a new owner to take over an orphan team (ie they have a free year and a chance to trade and draft and grab waivers and still have a shot at earning coin).
    There are other things that can be done in these instances such as bonus draft picks etc but if you have a league committed to the idea it's generally not an issue but rarely.
    Please note, an orphan team is a challenge, and there is always someone willing to jump in and coach a team back to success.

2. Someone who legitimately has to drop out of the league will either give a years notice, or we try and help (try to find a replacement owner who will pay in full). If the team is well cared for, it should be no problem to find a new owner and if so the person leaving gets his full money back (even if it is short notice). If not and we need to discount the entry fees for the new owner, the person leaving is aware of this upfront when joining and will understand. (we are looking for long term commitment and all need to be on the same page in regards to that).

3. The $55 allows for $50 towards prize money and $5 for site fees for Ultimate Footy.
    There is an additional option for owners to purchase the stats pack with Ultimate Footy, and that's up to them if they do so.

4. Banker is me, and I have years of experience as commissioner of leagues. Our previous redraft league has been going for 8 years now and we have 5 members from that league in this new dynasty. Further to that I have people from another NFL Dynasty that I am in and in total I'm commissioner of 3 Dynasties (2 NFL and this new AFL one) amongst 3 other yearly NFL redrafts I do.
    Further to this, may as well put my resume on the table, I'm CEO of 2 companies on the Sunshine Coast which have been run successfully since 2006 (google Brocky's TV and Brocky's Electronics). So I feel I'm a reputable choice to handle a few hundred dollars.

5. The scoring is indeed the only thing I can't guarantee out of any of this in that it is new. But I've spent hours and hours adjusting it and running tests and I am happy with it. Have a look below and run your own tests if you like. I'll post the scoring here and I'll add some screenshots of the top 100 players by average last year (using the scoring system).

upload_2019-2-20_18-43-57.png

The main increases here are of course the Marks, Goals and the Spoils/R50s. These higher than normal numbers bring key position players who do their job well into relevance. This is also then equalled with the -4 on ineffective disposals, so that any of these key position players (as well as midfielders/rucks) that are inefficient are punished severely. Just 'getting a kick' is not enough.

The midfielders that are in the top 50 deserve to be there because of either sheer possession numbers, tackles or efficiency. And they are competing with guys who either kick goals or stop others from kicking goals. It's not a midfielders competition.

But the scoring is equal for us all. And it's all on the table before the draft. It may not be for everyone but it's certainly the league I want to be in and the 10 members we have now are all looking forward to it.

Here is the top 100:

upload_2019-2-20_18-49-22.png
    upload_2019-2-20_18-49-57.png
    upload_2019-2-20_18-50-31.png
    upload_2019-2-20_18-51-7.png

You'll notice scoring is high, however rosters are deep.
    Backs x 4
    Mids x 8
    Ruck x 1
    FWD x 4
    Back/Fwd Utility x 4 (you can choose either 4 backs, or 4 forwards, or a mixture as you like).
    Mid/Ruc Utility x 1
    Bench 18
    Total Squad 40 with 22 onfield players.

As you can see, there is a fair bit of work involved in setting up a new league. Please see attached for the full set of rules PDF.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

We have done with NFL in the past a draft like this and essentially the clock runs from 5am to 11pm and stops inbetween. When you are on the clock you have 2 hours to make your selection.
    If at the end of the two hours you have not made a selection, the draft will move past your to the next person and you can simply make your selection when you return (from the players that are left).

Please note, I've done drafts before with an 8 hour clock, and people don't take it seriously. I've found it better to make it a two hour clock, and being reasonable about it (ie if something comes up for somebody we can pause it but at least we are not sitting around for 8 hours not knowing what's going on). It's a courtesy draft; you do right by the other owners and keep them updated, you make pre selections for your next pick or you make your pick when you get back.

I've done drafts that take two to three weeks, and drafts that take 3-5 days. depends on the group you have.

7. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

I'm only looking for 2 more so that's okay!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Len

I think you've put a lot of thought into it, and the concept has a base I can embrace.
    Count me in

• Like Like x 1
  9. Len

If anyone is looking at taking the last spot, I’ve had a good look at the setup etc now and appears extremely well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. bgt2110

bgt2110 Moderator Staff Member

I'll give it a shot if you are still looking for that last player. People involved in NFL dynasty got me over the line :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Len

We had alate withdrawal/non payer, not sure which, but 11 peeps ready to go looking for a 12th to join.
    I've had a good look through all the league docs, the organisation is beyond reproach so if interested in something slightly left field and potentially rewarding hit Bocky with a pm

12. BrockyFreo

BrockyFreo Member

Full. Thanks for all the interest!

13. Len

And then one pulled out after hading paid the first years fees

The team he drafted is as good as any, slightly current focussed but then so were the majority of teams drafted.
    If anyone is still interested hit @BrockyFreo up for details

14. TheTassieHawk

I would be interested in seeing the side you drafted @Len

15. Len

I'll grab it tonight and post it, no one will be surprised to hear I went on a youth rampage :p

• Like Like x 1
  16. Len

upload_2019-3-8_19-23-58.png
    upload_2019-3-8_19-24-35.png

Rookie draft starts Monday, adding 6 from there and have the Walsh pick

17. JC

JC Well-Known Member

FTFY ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Len

He was pick 14, Westoff was 35, after that I reverted to type :)

19. TheTassieHawk

@Len definitely some great potential in that list.

It's hard to pick when the window will be open, maybe that will be clearer at the end of 2019 ?

20. Len

I think so, the initial commitment expected was 5 years, pretty sure that the first 2 years I'll be down looking up, but I'm hoping by the 3rd year I've skimmed enough of what will then be fantasy premiums to be very strong