2019 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by JPK, Oct 29, 2018.

1. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

Round 6 - Ararat Armadillos 1296 defeated Christmas Island 1045

As the old cliché goes, a week is a long time in FU. Like my four year old, last week was full of chocolates, this week I'm just a crying mess coming down off a short-lived sugar high.

Buoyant after their win against top 8 opposition the week before, the Smugglers were quietly confident heading into their clash with the 'Dillos. However, this confidence was ruthlessly crushed by @insider who, keen to gain control of the game early, unleashed the people's beard from the first bounce - Big Maxy was everywhere with 48 hitouts and a goal leading to a best on ground 145 SC.

Treloar was the main beneficiary of Gawn's centre dominance, his 31 disposals and 6 tackles making him the most valuable midfielder on either side, with 113 SC.

The Smugglers forward line was misfiring to say the least - JJK managed to kick two majors, the Hoff one, but the backline is one of Ararat's strengths (in a team with not many weaknesses) and so Stewart (98SC), Rich (116SC) and Ryan (95SC) easily repelled the Smuggler's clumsy advances.

Thankfully for the home crowd the 'Dillos were having forward issues of their own, otherwise the Club's heaviest defeat margin might have been in danger. With the Chad top scoring with 81, and the Smugglers captain Hurn, playing a solid stopping role with 119, Insider will be hoping for more from the forwards next week.

And so the visitors lead from start to finish, were never really challenged and took the all-time record between these two sides to 5-2. Sitting fourth on the ladder the men from Ararat just keep on doing what they do, looking like they'll be there at the end of the season. Next week they continue their tour of the FU's islands, heading to the King version to take on @Tylo 's Monarchs.

For the Smugglers, their annus horribilis continues - the loss seeing them fall to 14th. More concerning, the hospital on the Island is now sending people to the mainland (you're welcome ScoMo), with Robbie Gray, Kade Simpson and Matty Kreuzer becoming the 9th, 10th and 11th additions to the injury ward (only 8 of those 11 are best XV though:eek:). Things don't look like improving this week as the Smugglers face the FU's form team in @Tomster Gisborne.

Big Tap

Gawn 145 (AA) over Kreuzer 84 (CIS)

BAFFU

3 - Gawn (AA) - 145
    2 - Hurn (CIS) -119
    1 - Rich (AA) - 116

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 11
  2. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

@fresh

Nuytsland welcomed Cow Bay to "Odin's Graveyard" in what was a close game, turned out to be a low scoring dull affair. In the only good news for the home team Greene made an appearance but what is a common theme for the past few years is one of our stars comes back from injury for only another player to move back to the medical room in such Viney out for two and Newman out for three, the bench is wearing thin. Nuytsland still managed to pull off a win but no certainty to win any games, sitting pretty at the top of the ladder with the lowest points for and against is a major concern.

Even though the Visitors lost I could find more positives in there performance with young guns Hopper Taranto De Joey Jones Worpel showing up the oppositions younger stars. Libba could not handle a tag and ultimately cost his team the win

Brodie Grundy (134): Grundy contributed with 24 disposals, 6 marks, 6 tackles, 39 taps and 4 free kicks given away.
    Seb Ross (118): Playing midfield, Ross contributed with 26 disposals, 5 marks, 8 tackles and kicked 0.1.
    Matt Crouch (104): Playing inside midfield, Crouch contributed with 36 disposals, 2 grabs and 2 tackles.

Jordan De Goey (103): De Goey contributed with 15 possessions, 5 marks, 6 tackles and kicked 2.1.
    Tim Taranto (136): In the middle…Taranto contributed with 30 possessions, 4 marks, 10 tackles, 1.0 and 3 frees against.
    Jacob Hopper (113): Copped a big Florent hit late Q2 and was very slow to get up… 33 possessions and 7 marks plus 3 tackles… 0.1 as well. In the midfield….

3. Taranto
    2. Grundy
    1. Ross

Big Tap
    Grundy

Nuytsland take on an in form SFB
    Cow Bay stay in the state heading up the road to play Southern Cross

• Like Like x 7
  3. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for the late report @choppers but I'm sure you understand when I say that I've been whipping my team all week for not turning up on the weekend (and I'm not talking about the Prospectors!)

So, it turns out either my maths is terrible (I really hope not), or some players changed scores after I added them up in my spreadsheet... and it turns out to be the latter... What I thought was a 239 point win to the visitors was actually a 206 point win to the visitors (maybe I accidentally put the wrong score for a couple of players too!!!) Either way, Banchang came to the goldfields, and WON BIG

It was an absolute disaster for the home side, with the staggered starting times really playing havoc with the team. Players didn't know where they were supposed to be, or when they were supposed to be there.
    For example, D Astbury started warming up with the side, although he was named as an emergency. It was a good thing he did, because it turns out the official scorekeepers were keeping track of his practice kicks, and gave him 48 points for them!
    Then we had W Hayes warming up with the mids, only to be told half-way through the match that most of the forwards hadn't turned up, so he'd be lining up in the forward 50. He seemed completely at sea, but was good enough to fill a gap, and score 27.5 points for the side.
    Finally we had L Duggan sitting in the backline ready to repel any forward charge by the visitors, who was also moved forward at the last minute when good mate J Smith was seen playing Wii Golf instead of warming up with the team. Duggan rushed down forward, spoiling all his midfield and forward teammates along the way. Once again the scorekeepers confused this with the real thing, and awarded him 29.5 points for his efforts.

On the plus side, S Martin was back showing some ruck form, scoring 93 points, although back-up ruckman O McInerney went missing, with only 41 points.
    But the highlight for the side was the pair from "the wees and the poos" (thanks to a mates' son for pointing this one out to me!!! I'm going to run with it) with J O'Meara trying to follow my 7/9th time prediction of scoring 300 points, and J Sicily doing the positive side of anything, scoring 133 and 127 points respectively, to be the best two players on the ground. It was unfortunately too little, as a total of 1039 was never going to be competitive.

The visiting Banchang Barcrawlers really came to play.
    A solid defence, lead by another of the toilet-dwellers, J Impey, had them thwarting every forward thrust that the home side made (that wasn't thwarted by their own L Duggan). Making things even more scary is that the coach decided to leave J Lyons in the magoos, who went on to give the coach a big 'FU with a 114 point display!
    The CarBrawlers mids ran rings around the locals, with two tons and another two near-tons from B Cunnington, T Adams, J Dawson, and E Langdon respectively. Its the unheralded mid brigade that will just work damn hard to take down any and every other midfield in the competition.
    The big downside for the visitors was in the rucks, with C Sinclair playing Stefan back into some form. Once again the scorekeepers were keeping a close eye on all proceedings, and thought that Sinclair's taps to himself were worth 32 points, which I'm sure the coach will give him a spray for before the upcoming game this weekend.
    Back to the highlights for the Barcrawlers, and we have their forward line. How can you not love a forward line that nearly scores 400 points??? M Robinson leading the way on 125, S Gray also raising the bat on 103 (questions were asked as to why he had a cricket bat in a game of footy, but the umpires borrowed from the Collingwood-Essendon game thought it was ok), plus 95 from S Reid, and 74 from L Dahlhaus, made this forward line incredibly formidable.
    Moving onto the bench, and another near-160 points is just what the coach would have asked for. There can't be too many complaints form big Chops!
    All of this added up to 1245 for the visitors (according to those pesky scorekeepers... I think we'll get some new ones next home game), which wasn't spectacular and won't win a premiership, but it was more than enough on the day, and there's some solid footings in place to see this team go deep into 2019.

The Big Tap:
    S Martin, Coolgardie, defeated C Sinclair, Banchang, by 61 points, 93 to 32.

The votes:
    3 - J O'Meara, Coolgardie, 133
    2 - J Sicily, Coolgardie, 127
    1 - M Robinson, Banchang, 125

Next week sees the Prospectors staying at home, and looking for some redemption (hopefully there'll be some fresh faces to propel the team to a win), this time welcoming the Buffalos from Serengeti. The Thaiboys keep the road-trip going, this time off to the NSW south coast, to take on the Whalers of Eden. Good luck to all four teams.

• Like Like x 5
  4. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

Very nice @JPK ......a detailed report like that is never too late to read....The difference in scores was because I had to play Switkowski (OOP) in DEF, when he's a FWD, hence the 33 pts difference.
    I thought I had DEF covered when I had 9 players there coming into the season, but then lost Doedee(ACL) E V-W (ACL) Wigg (ACL) Barrass (Foot) Jonas(Calf) Suckling (Groin) leaving me with 3......and Lyons will get a run there this week, after his performance in the 2's. although he too will be OOP.

And more Breaking News......another DEF is gone with Hanley now succumbing to a shin injury, meaning Banchang is down to 2 defenders from 9 at season's start......will need to find another OOP player to cover the gap......these road trips sure can be hazardous to one's health...

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  5. JPK

Yeah, that might explain it.
    Tell you what, I'll swap you a DEF for a FWD (or three each way :cool::cool::p:p:p)

• Like Like x 1
  6. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

Beautiful work @DamoH
    Lol @ match reports with no score... :eek: kind of important you’d reckon. Hahahahaha

7. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

Southern Cross Sandgropers 1249 defeated @Batfink ’s Hughenden Prairie Dogs 1130

Both coaches were desperate to get the win to keep in touch with the top 8 and if not for an OOP ruck and a no-show fwd the result could have been very different for the visitors as in the end only 119 points separated the two sides. The match was a cliched game of two halves with the P Dogs holding sway early only for the home side to run over the top of them in the second half.

Tons from Oliver 105, Breust 106, Battle 110, Yeo 116 and Shiels 132 would normally get a side over the line but unfortunately with Greenwood 22 deputising in the ruck and both Morrison & Cox deciding not to travel the task was just too much too much for the visitors. For the Sandgropers, Prestia 119 continued his rich vein of form, ably supported by the evergreen Mummy 111, Gov 111, Duncan 116 and Fyfe 128.

Southern Cross stay in the hunt at 4-2 but would like an upturn in scoring whilst Hughenden struggle at 1-5 and would surely love a playing ruck as the rest of their squad has a good balance.

BAFFU
    3 votes - L.Shiels (HPD) 132
    2 votes - N.Fyfe (SCS) 128
    1 vote - D.Prestia (SCS) 119

Giant Tap
    P.Ryder (SCS) 79 def L.Greenwood (HPD) 22

• Like Like x 4
  8. eagle_eyed

Early in the match at the Sandpit and it’s the locals (202/2/101) leading @fresh ’s Cows (139/2/70) by 63 points.

Go ‘Gropers!

• Like Like x 1
  9. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

Early days at Mill Park

Bulls 226/3
    Vikings 108/1

@bryzza

• Like Like x 1
  10. JPK

1/9th of the way through the game in Coolgardie, and already the home coach has screwed up... and he's lamenting that 15 players can't make it through ONE match without getting injured (is that too much to ask? just once this season!!!)

So, it turns out J Aish wasn't named in the end, and I've got 14 players and atleast one playing emergency on another line... ooops!

Coolgardie: 167 / 4 / 41.7
    Serengeti: 246 / 3 / 82.0

With clubhouse leader J Elliott on 98 points, its yours to lose @wrightbrendan

• Like Like x 1
  11. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

The Cuda's are on 869/10 86.9 to the Blowflys @Mick on 686/8 85.8

• Like Like x 1
  12. eagle_eyed

@fresh ’s Crocs 919/12/77 have bitten back at the Sandpit to move out to a 48 point lead over the Sandgropers 871/9/97. However even with Selwood a late out the bookies have the home side as favourites for this one. It’s not over yet though and anything can still happen.

Go ‘Gropers!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

In Gisborne, a hot start to the season has somewhat mellowed in round 9, but the Grenades are still 753/9/83.7. The Smugglers aren't far behind at 737/10/73.7, but in a strange new gameplan have decided not to name a ruckmen or another interchange player. With only 3 players left in the sheds it could be another Smuggle struggle juggle snuggle @DamoH

• Like Like x 1
  14. JPK

6/9th through in the Goldfields, and the Prospectors are leading, but the Buffalos look like they they'll run away with this one @wrightbrendan

Coolgardie: 767 / 11 / 69.7
    Serengeti: 519 / 7 / 74.1

Clubhouse leader is J Cameron on 134 points.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Batfink

Batfink Well-Known Member

In a low scoring affair the Prairie Dogs are in front at the Dino Dome much to the delight of the home crowd but it's not over yet. The P Dogs have a habit of choking in the last third of a game.

Hughenden 981/13/75
    Bunyips 555/7/79

• Like Like x 1
  16. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

Vikings in the box seat @bryzza

NV 1043 + McKay, M Crouch & Pearce
    SFB 718 + Zaharakis, Hooker, B Hill, Lobb & Adel Lynch

17. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

The Cuda's are on 1,089/12 90.8 to the Blowflys @Mick on 845/10 84.5

As always, these two teams love it rough n tumble and close.

Today is no exception, with the home team having Guthrie, Stanley & Hawkins up against the visitors Sloan, Ablett, Menegola, Walters & Mundy.

Will it be the home team to lose dropping Naughton to the seconds or the visitors defence faultering especially with a late out in Touhy?

Stay tuned to see what happens in this grudge match.

• Like Like x 1
  18. eagle_eyed

Word from the Sandpit is that Southern Cross 1331/14/95 have stormed home to beat @fresh ’s Cow Bay 1084/15/72 by 247 points. Match report to follow.

Go ‘Gropers!

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

That explains it! No wonder the team did so poorly, it's tough coaching a side that isn't yours :p

• Like Like x 6
  20. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

Hahahahahahaha @fresh if I could like that more than once I would

• Like Like x 2