2019 AFL: Round 8 Reviews & Discussions

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Cpt Pugwash, May 12, 2019.

By Cpt Pugwash on May 12, 2019 at 8:31 PM
  1. Cpt Pugwash

Cpt Pugwash Active Member

Fire & Ice... last week tough, this week better!

Some bigger score around the leagues.
    Anyone affected by Chris Scott’s triple cross?

Well done anyone who picked Oliver! Gutsy move.

How did you fare? What was your captains choice? What’s your plans?

• Like Like x 2

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Cpt Pugwash, May 12, 2019.

• Tags:
    1. Cpt Pugwash
      Cpt Pugwash
      That’s doesn’t look good. He and Ablett will be nervous
    2. That KI Guy
      That KI Guy
      Thanks for the advice Ant.
      Yeah certainly not lost on me that many are planning to paint fence or double up this round.
      Realistically have six upgrades and 18 trades left ($160k itb).
      The outcomes of Fyfe and Crouch will influence a lot for me. Can certainly go Walsh>Macrae and Drew>rookie to complete my mids and have $230k up my sleeve.
      Defensive rookies have been gold this yr with Moore, Hore and Duursma holding the fort at D4-6 and upgrading around them.
      So my foot down strategy would be to paint fence to Macrae then again to Lloyd and possibly third paint to Ryan.
      Would leave me with Boak, Gawn and Whit to get over the byes.

I presume you went full throttle early in your stellar year @anthak ?
    3. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      It sounds like you have your planning in place. It's probably the ideal time for myself and others to do likewise prior to Thursday night teams.

If you don't like this week's downgrade options you could go Walsh > Macrae / Lloyd / Ryan etc with just the single trade.
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Nick
      Nick
      Poor round of 2,051 after a double downgrade, however got my cash league win so that was enough.
      Not having Telly or Oliver was the big hurt this week as both went large as reasonably popular choices.
      Telly and Neale the targets this week with the war chest - however this will depend on MCrouch and Fyfe outcomes naturally.
      Crouch seemed to just be a corked hip so hopefully not weeks?
      • Like Like x 1
    5. DanJS
      DanJS
      2150 with only seven tonnes, took Grundy's VC score and have Oliver but also had MCrouch and Parker on the field. I held on to Walsh this week instead of upgrading to T Kelly or Fyfe so looking to bring in Kelly next week. Whole bunch of rookies who need to go ASAP now.
    6. Cpt Pugwash
      Cpt Pugwash
      Rookies are tuff this week - Four Questions:
      • What's your advice on who's a must?
      • Is there anyone we could consider early?
      • Does GWS loss mean Hately comes in?
      • Will they play throughout the byes?
    7. Penske file
      Penske file
      AAaagh sometimes I wonder at my sanity playing this game. My worst score this year 2042 some disastrous choices had Atkins on field Mcrouch, Heeney I still have Libba not even mentioning Hoff. Fyfe as C at least that worked, back to the drawing board, work in progress. Won 3/10 leagues.
    8. Cpt Pugwash
      Cpt Pugwash
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Penske file
    10. Cpt Pugwash
      Cpt Pugwash

Melbourne Defender Option:

Hibbard (Collarbone) , Lewis (Ankle) - does that make Lockhart (M/D) a lock with guaranteed JS?

Price: $221,400
      BE: -21

Next four games will see the Melbourne backline see a lot of ball..
    11. ike2112
      ike2112
      Is Dunkley definitely to be trusted now then, it wasn't just two weaker opponents and good conditions for him? Lots of Doggies scored well last two weeks so I'm stuff unsure - I already traded him out in round 3!
    12. port_leschenault
      port_leschenault
      I've been pleasantly surprised with Lockhart since bringing him in as a rookie, but why would you want to bring him in now at such a price? He's not a prem and not even scoring like one.
      • Like Like x 1
    13. ike2112
      ike2112
      I scored 1936 which is atrocious.
      Last week has been terrible and I had a lot of gaps to plug, but having lacked rookie forwards and thinking Answerth a must-have down back, I went for the double-downgrade. People on here had made me consider that both Fyfe and Kelly could wait...
      I ended up with Answerth (49), Atkins (12), Hayes (55), Libba (72), ROB (66), Drew (59) and Parker (25) all on field.
      And guys like Lloyd, Brodie Smith, Worpel, Daniel didn't score well, and I had C on Cripps and VC in Grundy so couldn't do anything else.

My wife's Trading Games side continues to trounce me - 2341 this week with Grundy as C.
      I was 2nd last in TD after round 4. Now I'm 3rd.
    14. Cpt Pugwash
      Cpt Pugwash
      Definitely back IMO. Watching Libba - seems to me he’s doing a partial lock each week. Tagging is back in vogue. And Dunks is the direct benefactor.

I love his tackle and contested counts. Now has end of 18 stats.

9A986903-E27E-48F8-AE7D-F163253763DF.jpeg

Attends centre bounces and floats across half back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    15. stripey
      stripey
      Sorry @ike2112 , I was one of those that wasn’t convinced on Telly... ended up bringing him (fortuitously) in anyway as I was worried about my forward line with a likely Danger out

2341 wow..
      • Like Like x 1
    16. ike2112
      ike2112
      For my main team at least its time to double upgrade.
      I'm looking at Atkins and Libba for 2 of Fyfe, Kelly or Dunkley.
      Wish I had 3 trades this week as I could afford to upgrade to all 3.

With my TG team I have no cash reserves and missed a few on the bubble last week. Considering Libba and Moore(Pies) for Dunkley and Larkey/Corbett/Moore(Hawks). None of them are great options but I need a downgrade target to be able to get to Dunkley or Boak.
    17. stripey
      stripey
      Navigating the byes has never been more important that’s this year it seems.. no rookies coming through with decent job security for downgrades.. will any of them still be in the seniors to provide cover for the byes

I went with Moore last week for Petrol, hope he sticks around like Gibbons has
    18. Cpt Pugwash
      Cpt Pugwash
      Stick with your better preformed rookies, let them drop in price, if you have too, and take the points.

IMO, there’s never been a better yr to jump so high (due to lack of rookies) during the byes. I’d take 40’s, 50’s and 60’s during the byes if no new rookies show up.

Structure up! Aim for flexibility if we can.
    19. stripey
      stripey
      Do we assume Balta now gets more time on ground and ruck time now that Nankervis is potentially out for 2 months? 25% of teams still hold him, not me though except for in the ORFFL - maybe 80's will become his new norm
      • Like Like x 1
    20. Pistolas de Espana
      Pistolas de Espana
      2251 for La Pistolas. Grundy as VC loophole and stuck with him. Got very lucky with Oliver and T Kelly. Had Atkins, Ross and Parker all on the bench so dodged those bullets. Loopholed DEF and MID and scored up for a change.

Before Rnd 9 discussion happens quick up or down please. I'm thinking of doing Ross to Stack (thumbs up) or Ross to Stocker (thumbs down). I don't really have a reasoning for this. I was hoping to stretch Ross through to Rnd 13 with his late bye. I know Stocker is the same by JS just doesn't appeal. Setterfield, Atkins and Bailey my other bench options.

Congrats for anyone over 2300 that is a top score give the potential carnage.