ORFFA Round 12 (AFL 15) Review

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Len, Jul 1, 2019.

By Len on Jul 1, 2019 at 7:28 AM
  1. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Courtesy of @TerryinBangkok 's gold tipped quill.

The easiest round to tip ever. Yeah, right. These are the rounds where ORFFA teams are
    looking to consolidate their place in the 8. Nobody wants to end up like Port or Freo. A brief
    synopsis.

Foul Bay Chickens 1408 def. Whitsunday Warriors 1081
    North (Cunnigton 146, Goldstein 131, Ziebell 121) and the a few contributors from the Cats
    just tore the Warriors a new one. The Warriors have now failed to have a win coming off the
    bye for 9 consecutive seasons.

Cradle Mountain Devils 1377 def. Gundagai Grasshoppers 1247
    Rowan Marshall (161) proving to be a very astute pick-up for the Devils. The Hoppers
    actually played well but were crippled by an on-field 13 from Brayden Sier.

Lovely Bay Lilacs 1216 def. Gariwerd Cockatoos 1136.
    Are the Cockies the Port Adelaide of the ORFFA? Both teams’ rucks went down, but despite
    this the Lilacs announced they are officially here. Win of the round. Watch out.

Iron Knob Codpieces 1213 def. Larrikin Lagoon Lefties 986
    Shock and awe seems to have some merit – just ask Mike. Macrae (142) huge for the
    winners and Jack Darling decided to have a day out. Honorable mention to the Lefties Jy
    Simpkin (106) – looks like the future right there.

Wagga Wagga Wombats 1264 def. Venus Bay Vultures 1180
    Not a lot in this, but Wagga take the chocolates courtesy of a huge 165 from Lycett in the
    ruck, while Venus Bay copped a doughnut on the I/C. This will shake up the battle for
    bottom 4.

Marble Bar Misfits 1309 def. Wineglass Bay Packers 974
    So, who gets to bring the cat in and take out the garbage? Big smacks for Matera, but in the
    end it was a case of my Giants are better than your Giants. Two doughnuts on I/C for the
    Packers and it must hurt seeing Rory lining up for the opposition. Hopefully peace prevails.

Nowhere Else Wanderers 1194 def, Charlies Opening Spelunkers 1079
    A playing ruck high on the shopping list for the Wanderers. Nic Nat a missed opportunity,
    otherwise the build is looking good. The Bont (130) brave, but more consistent scores across the board for the Wanderers.

Nareewillock Nuffers 1031 def. by Mount Beauty Uglies 1171
    Hartlett, Salem and Dusty all good for the winners, but they need a lift from Sides and
    Cotch. Let’s hope big Max can get back soon – good playing rucks are gold in this game. Not one ton for the Nuffers, but a reasonable spread suggests they are building – a playing ruck the priority.

Birdsville Battlers 1200 def. by Waikickamoocow Incorrigibles 1316
    Newman, Fyfe, Dunkly, ROB – the list goes on. Blakely (105) finally coming good for the
    Battlers? Treloar, Bailey Smith, Witts, Myers and Hipwood could not do much more for the
    losers.

Chooks vs Lilacs, Hoppers vs Cods and Uglies vs Cows all look juicy next week.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 2

Comments

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Len, Jul 1, 2019.

1. graeme
      graeme
      Fast turnaround is a good turnaround TiB. No post bye win for 9 years - amazing. Where do you take the Warriors for their hols?
      • Like Like x 2
    2. graeme
      graeme
      Do we need a concerted clearing of our teams before the next round to get rid of the delisted players who still appear? Gardiner does not appear in the team that I submitted, but appears in the "View Matchday" version. Yet, he's there in Banditto's scoring players. Strange, he is like a ghost player.
      • Like Like x 1
    3. JC
      JC
      We do, mate. Pretty sure @Len tagged us all in the Round 12 Teams and Chat Thread about this?
      • Like Like x 2
    4. graeme
      graeme
      OK, will do now.
      BTW, do I need to switch something on as I never receive a tag - just an email from the thread?
      • Like Like x 2
    5. Len
      Len
      The tag generates the email mate, should also have given you a red alert in the top right hand corner of the web page.
      If not just check your alert settings in your personal preferences
      • Like Like x 2
    6. snoz
      snoz
      No Cripps, no Milera, Sier inj 13, Charlie inj 5 equals no Hoppers.
      • Like Like x 2
    7. anthak
      anthak
      I don’t get emailed for tags either, but I did get this one because I’m following the ORFFA Forum so I’m emailed about all new posts.
      • Like Like x 1
    8. anthak
      anthak
      Great writeup TiB!

And great win @Jen ! T’was very important in the race for the 8.
      • Like Like x 1
    9. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Warriors are on permanent hols @graeme.
      I let it be known that I wanted to keep going during the byes, but was really just firing one across the bow of Geelong's record of 9 straight post-bye losses (or, in other words, how some of us are cursed).
      • Like Like x 2
    10. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      If the Lilacs can catch the Chooks on an off day, they can make the 8. And if Waikik can get up over the Uglies, they will take the Warriors 7th spot (Whitsunday face Cradle Mountain. 'CMD' - sounds like something buried in the sand that can blow-up in your face) who enjoyed their brief sojourn in the 8. Very much a two horse race this year.
      • Like Like x 2
    11. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      @bama's mob were far too good.

10 losses in a row for the Nuffers saw the home crowd give their side a collective mooning and verbal spray at the full time siren. The recently departed ex-Nuffers playing well at other ORFFA clubs is hurting our pride in 2019 however time will tell whether the next crop and the clubs 2020 draftees have the talent to eventually climb out of the foul smelling cesspit that is the ORFFA cellar.

I agree 100% that a playing ruck will be a necessity - once the team's form picks up. As there won't be many Rowan Marshall's slipping through the cracks it will be a matter of sifting through whatever offers come our way in future trade periods otherwise it could be a long wait - circa 2022/23 - for CCJ to crack the 1's on a regular basis.
      • Like Like x 3
    12. JC
      JC
      Thanks for the write up, Terry.

We tried hard, but Witherden's late out with no cover ensured that any slim chance we had was gone. Even if he'd played I suspect the Cows would've got the chocolates, though.
      • Like Like x 2
    13. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      I dunno. Eventually Brisbane managed to get up without him :cool:
      • Like Like x 2
    14. dmandrews
      dmandrews
      Luck seems to be on the side of the Devils this season, both in games and in drafts. If it wasn’t for some injuries to several Grasshoppers – Cripps before the game, and his replacement Sier and C Curnow in game the Devils-Grasshoppers game would have gone right down to the wire, however due to the Hoppers injuries the Devils recorded a comfortable 130 point victory.

The Hoppers joined a list of several teams that have been well below their best against the Devils due to injuries and/or players not performing at their usual levels. As a result the Devils are ranked second for points against with only Birdsville conceding fewer points. Maybe @TerryinBangkok is onto something with his comment:

In previous years the device would blow up in the Devils own face in close games however improved programming has led to very different results in 2019 leading to some opposition carnage.

The Hoppers had more tons then the Devils 6 to 4 however the Devils were more even across the ground and had the two best players on the ground in forward Rowan Marshall and midfielder Dayne Zorko with 161 and 155 points respectively to be the second and third highest scorer in the ORFFA this round behind Wagga Wagga Wombats ruck Scott Lycett with 165. When I recruited Marshall I hoped that he would be able to challenge for the F4 position this year and be a ruck option in the future, instead he has exceeded all expectations to be a state of origin representative and the Devils F1. It was a late decision to select Marshall with pick 48 in the PSD, influenced by his draft-day JLT game for the Saints in the ruck against the Bulldogs so definitely got lucky with his recruitment, it is a bonus that he is a Saint.
      • Like Like x 4
    15. Jen
      Jen
      Thanks @anthak
      • Like Like x 1
    16. chris88
      chris88
      Great write up Terry!

The race for the final couple of spots in the eight looks certain to be a close one.
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Bandit
      Bandit
      Great review....Get stuffed
      Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    18. HeavyMen
      HeavyMen
      You bring great news & joy TiB :)
      Wakik no chance whatsoever (cheeky grin)
      • Like Like x 1