tsAddicts Roster Setup Discussion

Discussion in 'tsAddicts SC Keeper League' started by JoshyC, Jul 30, 2019.

1. JoshyC

JoshyC Well-Known Member

I know this isn’t the place (but we all seem to monitor it), but I want to get a discussion started about next season, and our team structure. I really like this concept, and having 10 teams means the pool is quite healthy but also means we have the scope to increase our team size to 15 on field and subsequently our squad sizes. Something like 4-6-1-4 works well, with squads of 20...for example.

Can we transfer this over to the appropriate thread as a conversation starter pls Len?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Happy to have a look at it, it is deliberately simple as most of us are also running at least one ORFF* keeper team which far more demanding and time consuming, the idea when setup was it was diversionary rather than a fantasy focus.

Doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't discuss potential changes whilst maintaining much of that simplicity.

Personally if we were to embrace an increase, I'd prefer 12 onfield (currently 8) plus the same single floating reserve setup.
    We currently have a full roster of 15, I think 20 should be max, so essentially would be an extra 4 onfield, one extra on the bench.
    We currently run 2 Def, 3 Mid, 1 Ruck and 2 Fwd
    Given the way the players are assigned a setup of 3 Def, 5 Mid, 1 Ruck and 3 Fwds should be very doable with a healthy pool and would also not have a negative impact on the strategies used to compile our current squads.

A discussion worthy topic.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

At least 10 onfield would make sense. The larger the squad size the more likely late outs become so perhaps teams with 12 or more on field should have at least 2 emergencies.

Anything up to ORFF* 15's would be OK by me but would be a massive jump from the status quo so would need a strong majority.

I actually would prefer emgs on each line or 4/5 if we introduce an IC line, and oop scores to apply. The reason being that change makes every player in the squad much more relevant. At the moment one Addicts team has a permanent non playing Forward so they can access the emergency player and I have done similarly when my ruck has been injured for a week. An alternative is make the single emergency a 60%, 70% or 80% loading rather than 100%. Either change would stop or reduce the deliberate loopholing from happening.

Squad size should be set based on what the concensus weekly team format looks like and particularly the emergency rules. As it stands I reckon we should have 2 less players for 8+1 weekly teams but would be happy with squads of 16 (ie an increase of 1) if naming 8+4 each week.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snoz

snoz Moderator

I lean towards leaving it as is......TSA was set up to be just this, a simple easy non brain draining quickie......as opposed to the ORF leagues. Maybe if there are enough suitors you can create a new ORF league with these thoughts from above and then leave TSA as is ?

• Like Like x 3
  5. JoshyC

JoshyC Well-Known Member

I like the 12 on field structure proposed by Len, but agree with tth in that the increase in on field volumes requires an extra interchange player. Propose you get the lowest of the 2 scores if your IC is required, killing off the loophole strategy. I am looping my fwd line cause there just aren’t any better options out there...I have parish as my F3, who regularly scores less poorly. Then I look at some squads who have quality fwds not being used each week and think oh well, I’ll just play 4 mids...lol.
    Anyways, back to it...increasing to 12 playing and 2 emergencies doesn’t really change the structure of the game at all, and keeps it true to it original format of simplicity. Just makes for greater use of each of the full squads. Good discussion none the less but my vote is to increase.

6. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

Only 4 coaches have been involved in these discussions, can someone please tag the other 6 so we can see what they think ??

7. Len

I will whack a poll up of some sort late next week but those yet to provide input (including thumbs up as input)
    @dmandrews
    @TerryinBangkok
    @Jason
    @bgt2110
    @HOLKY

Regardless of discussion though the league will stay in this format with minimal changes to list management, it exists for fun, the ORFF* leagues are for those that take it "tooseriously", if that's where you are aiming @JoshyC there are always one or two spots available each year in one or more leagues as people's real life commitments prevent them from continuing on..

8. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I'm with @snoz, would prefer this league to not get more complicated if it can be avoided.

9. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Concur with the Knightrider in OP + Snoz input.

However, since it is a discussion:
    The tipping comp I am running has 4-5 wild card rounds selected by Admin. The thought occurred, what if you increased the lists in something like Addicts (allowing you to punt on new draftees each year), ran the normal weekly comp, but then had wild card rounds where teams went up to 10 or 12 on field for that round only.

Just a thought.

10. JoshyC

JoshyC Well-Known Member

With the season looming, thought I’d bump this to restart the discussion. Any legs on increasing squad size and on field players to 3 Def, 5 Mid, 1 Ruck and 3 Fwds?

11. snoz

snoz Moderator

Still prefer the existing set up but looks like @Len will be setting up a poll/discussing soon to discuss at length !!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Len

next 24-48 hours