ORFFA 2019 Finals - Teams and Banter thread

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Bandit, Aug 5, 2019.

1. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Looks like @Ant and @JC will be tussling for some silverware - good luck to you both.

• Like Like x 3
  2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Still a couple of others in the running too, but looks like you’ve dropped out TiB, despite your win. Bad luck to you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

In the top8, it looks like everyone made the correct decision in leaving the Incorrigibles to last, as they would’ve beaten anybody this week, but the other 3 matchups wouldn’t have made a difference whichever way they were picked. Chickens & Devils too good; Grasshoppers & Misfits too bad.

• Like Like x 2
  4. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Thanks @Len , we seem to end up playing each other this time of year. The cows are a little lucky to be leading 2-1 over the last three years. Your effort of a premiership and a runners-up over that period is damned impressive.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Have sent a note to ChiefBet for his selection.

In the Zac, it's @JC taking on @DaveH and @anthak taking on @Lenny120
    Birdsville Battlers vs Nowhere Else Wanderers
    Gariwerd Cockatoos vs Wagga Wagga Wombats

Bit stiff @TerryinBangkok

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  6. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Just a couple of quality players short. Parish and Sinclair injuries were ill-timed. :(

Best of luck Chief! Hope you keep rolling towards the flag.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Congratulations to @dmandrews as his boys take care of business to proceed through to the next round. The IK board are supposedly a little off with their coach who chose to go on an all weekend bender through Melbourne this weekend and was unavailable until found passed out at Heartbreaker at 3am Sunday morning. I wouldn't say its a pleasure to lose to the Devils but with such a classy outfit and coach it never feels as bad as it should. Good luck on your finals run mate!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Wowee, unlucky @snoz , I knew the forward line would be where the game was lost, however I thought it would be mine doing the losing, very unlucky to have two quality forwards have very off games.

The Vultures progress! Good to win a final, a shame to see Buddy already ruled out for next week, here's hoping we can start to string something together!

• Like Like x 2
  9. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

Your mob were far too good @TerryinBangkok.

I would add well played but considering your lot were also eliminated from the competition that would be a touch dishonest.

The Nuffers are about 12 hours in to their Mad Monday celebrations which have already far surpassed the 1-16 ORFFA regular season as our greatest achievement of the season.

• Like Like x 4
  10. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 3
  11. snoz

snoz Moderator

Brutal.......sent an email to Graeme half way thru the round calling it a loss already - went down the beach for three
    days instead and drank beers in 20c degree weather for a few days instead. Just got back last night and checked the
    scores......disgusting, goes with my hangover too. Congrats @Fitzy - go on to bigger and better things my man.

And yes @graeme I concur, I'm pretty sure last year in the 1st round of finals I shat the bed as well. This weekend
    we scored about 200 pts below my season average....I mean WTF !!..Stupid insects !!!

• Like Like x 6
  12. Bandit

Ok the selections are in.... drumroll

@ChiefRussell has elected to take on the Waikickamoocow Incorrigibles @graeme
    That leaves @dmandrews taking on @Fitzy

ORFFA Semi finals
    Foul Bay Chickens vs Waikickamoocow Incorrigibles
    Cradle Mountain Devils vs Venus Bay Vultures

In the Zac, it's @JC taking on @DaveH and @anthak taking on @Lenny120
    Birdsville Battlers vs Nowhere Else Wanderers
    Gariwerd Cockatoos vs Wagga Wagga Wombats

All the very best folks.

• Like Like x 4
  13. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

It seems my team selection gamble may have backfired again.

Picked the Cows only because I thought Burton wouldn’t be named and I’d be playing against 14.5. Instead Burton plays, Mason Wood is out for the Vultures and they end up with 14.5 players instead. Serves me right for trying to get clever.

Oh well, it was going to take my best effort at any rate. I’ll just have to hope McEvoy is good to go and the rest of the gang play a bit better than they have the last two weeks.

All the best @graeme. Let’s hope it takes a 1500+ score from one of us to get over the line.

Good luck to @dmandrews and @Fitzy as well

• Like Like x 6
  14. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

@ChiefRussell - echo your thoughts about a 1500+ game; why don't we both go huge?

From a low point for the cows of fielding 12 in round 18, we might have the luxury - which I'll stuff up - of having 15 plus some E's. Calm down @Bandit that's E as in emergency not E as in ecstacy.

Best of luck chief, but not too much luck; have a good game @Fitzy and @dmandrews . Oh, and of course we all hope the petit playoffs are sweet.

• Like Like x 3
  15. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Cradle Mountain Devils team for Week 2 of the finals

Out: Z Jones (hamstring) T Nankervis (general soreness)
    In: M Hurley, H Himmelberg

Defenders - D Rich, N Vlastuin, M Hurley, D Thomas (J Lever)
    Midfielders - S Pendlebury, D Zorko, J Steele, J Redden (C Mayne)
    Rucks – T English
    Forwards – R Marshall, T Lynch (Ade), L Breust, H Himmelberg (B Daniels)
    Int: D Heppell, T Membrey (D Zaharakis)

Two forced changes by Cradle Mountain for their semi final against the Venus Bay Vultures with defender Zak Jones out with a hamstring injury and ruckman Toby Nankervis out due to general soreness following his comeback game last weekend. Defender Michael Hurley and forward Harrison Himmelberg have been included in the Devils side. It is the first time since before the mid-season break that the five members of the Devils leadership group – Hurley, Pendles, Zorko, Heppell and Lynch have all played in the same CMD team.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bandit

Whatever you have to do to get the team up @graeme .. your opponent does it so it’s only fair

• Like Like x 1
  17. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

I hope I don’t regret dropping Luke Dahlhaus so Jarryd Roughead could have a farewell game in an ORFFA prelim. Could be my dumbest ever move...

• Like Like x 2
  18. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

graeme: "what is that dot in the distance?'
    chels: "I am not sure, but I think it's CR going further ahead."
    The chooks 1084/10; the cows 765/10
    It is like swimming in the ocean in a large swell as one big hundred is followed by another big hundred. Don't worry about playing Roughy CR, it will be fine cameo.

• Like Like x 4
  19. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Two thirds of the way through the semi final/preliminary final (is there a consensus on what the week 2 finals should be called?) 10 players have taken the field for both sides and the Devils at home have scored 886 to trail the Vultures tally of 952 by 66 points.

Five Vultures have scored tons led by ruck Stefan Martin (129) and midfielder Shaun Higgins (121) after starting on the interchange. Venus Bay have gained the ascendancy despite having an OOP with ruck Matthew Kreuzer scoring 64 after having his score halved – if big Kreuz had of been played in position he would been the second best player afield, just one point shy of felloe VBV ruck Martin.

Four Devils have reached triple figures led by off-season acquisitions – ruck Rowan Marshall (106) and defender Daniel Rich (104). Two members of Cradle Mountain’s leadership group could manage 102 points between them comprised of 44 for forward Tom Lynch (Adelaide) and 58 for defender Michael Hurley in his first game back after a shoulder injury.

Four of the five of the remaining Vultures to take the field have averaged over 90 points per game in 2019 being a pair of Eagles midfielders in Elliot Yeo (107) and Andrew Gaff (105), in form forward Toby Greene (93) who has relished spending more time in the midfield over the past five weeks to score over 105 in every game, and midfielder Jaeger O’Meara (91) who will start on the bench. The only exception who has averaged less the 90 for the Vultures is midfielder Brayden Fiorinni who is just short with an average of 88.

Six AFL sides are action today and the Devils have one player in action for five of these teams with the exception being no Gold Coast Suns players – Richmond defender Nick Vlastuin (90 points per game), Eagle midfielder Jack Redden (92), Giants forward Harrison Himmelberg (79), Western Bulldogs ruck Tim English (81) and Hawthorn forward Luke Breust (76). The five Vultures to take the field today have a sizable advantage in their performances this season compared to their five Devils counterparts, however in the Devils 215 point upset victory over the Vultures in week one of the 2018 finals several CMD players had season best games including Harrison Himmelberg with 135 points.

For the Devils to win several of their players will need to deliver season-best performances or some Vultures need to have sub-par output. In week 1 of the 2018 finals this is exactly what happened with the Vultures having hampered by injury and a late withdrawal whilst a couple of unheralded Cradle Mountain players had season best games including Harrison Himmelberg with 135 points. The Devils are going back to the well and will be creating plenty of space for Harry in the forward 50 in an attempt to have Lightning strike twice.

Good luck with your Vultures today @Fitzy, it has been an impressive performance so far this weekend and I expect it to continue today, a Venus Bay Grand Final berth would be much deserved after winning the 2018 minor premiership and overcoming several injuries/suspensions to important players over the past two seasons, most notably Sam Docherty.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Thanks @dmandrews, was looking forward to a mid round write up from you. As a lions fan McCarthys goal was all the more sweeter knowing it was bagging me valuable points. Kreuzers points also valuable. Funny things happen though and Sunday is often the day these things occur, definitely still an open matchup, all the best for today mate. :)

• Like Like x 3