ORFFA 2019 Finals - Teams and Banter thread

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Bandit, Aug 5, 2019.

1. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

Geez, I’m glad I went the way I did in the end. Would have been a kick in the guts to score 1500 and lose which is what would have happened had I picked the Vultures.

• Like Like x 6
  2. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Well done CR, both on the astute choice of opponent and posting another >1500 score.

The cows have some very strong players but we lack depth. Back to the drawing board (again).

• Like Like x 3
  3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

A couple of huge scores by our grand finalists!

• Like Like x 3
  4. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

In the last third of the Devils – Vultures game the Vultures completely overpowered the Devils to register a mammoth score of 1,510, a season-high for Venus Bay whilst Cradle Mountain could only manage 1,149.

The Devils had some bad luck registering their first donut of the season with ruck Tim English being a late out due to illness and no ruck emergency was named. Even if Ivan Soldo had of been named a ruck emergency his score of 90 would have only increased Cradle Mountain’s score to 1,239 which would still be CMD’s second lowest score of the season.

In a phenomenal team performance nine Vultures scored nine tons and another two players scored at least 88 to catapult Venus Bay into the rare air of 1,500 plus territory even though they fielded an OOP player in Kreuzer.

Congratulations to @Fitzy and @ChiefRussell on your respective team’s winning their finals with 1,500 + scores setting up a magnificent Grand Final. The bar has certainly been lifted as the previous highest score registered in week 2 of the ORFFA finals from 2015 onwards was the Cows with 1,459 in 2017.

Commiserations @graeme on the Cows loss to the Chickens. Making it to at least the second week of the finals for the third successive season is a commendable performance, especially given that prize-winning Cow Tom Mitchell was on the sidelines for the entire 2019 season.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  5. snoz

snoz Moderator

Wow !! These scores are insane, congrats guys!!

I’m assuming the Commish will be investigating the possible usage of PED’s ?

• Like Like x 4
  6. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

You know it has been a bug bear of mine from some time @snoz . I think the contempt shown to me on this matter went a bit far when the Chooks all wore blue boots and drank blue gatorade this week.

• Like Like x 1
  7. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Does seem like sometimes much of the association are competing in conventionally aspirated vehicles while others are either supercharged or turbocharged.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bandit

Spelunkers 2019 race finished like this wreck.JPG

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Maybe this is more accurate?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bandit

Brilliant... actually laughed out loud

11. Bandit

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Been keeping up to date with this thread and the review but haven't had the time to write out a clear reply, thanks and unlucky @dmandrews, you came up against a very inconsistent team on the wrong week it seems! I said a few weeks ago I was hoping the Vultures were doing the reverse of previous years, and actually holding out their best form for the finals. So far so good, however I think @ChiefRussell has us well unders at 1.60 for the weekends clash. Buddy back is big as it means I hopefully won't have an OOP. But Foul Bay have been a force to be reckoned with all year and have such a strong side, will be a very interesting clash to follow.

Lastly, its nice to be in the Grand Final after years of trading and drafting my way to be here! After losing to @That KI Guy in 2016, hopefully the group has matured and we can go that one final step! Up the Vultures. Oh and good luck CR...:p

• Like Like x 6
  13. anthak

Gariwerd’s team for the who cares’ granny !

Epitomising the nature of the Who Cares’ Cup, in literally huge news, Aaron Sandilands has retired in the lead up to the grand final, citing a desire to give the young blokes some experience. Turns out our only young bloke on the list is Esava Ratugolea, so he comes into the side.

We’ve also “managed” our other ruckman from last week’s win, Zac Clarke, giving him a much needed rest before mad Monday. Tom Bellchambers has come back in to the side to lead the ruck on his own all game.

Unfortunately fan favourite Bundy Christensen hasn’t been able to come up for the game after picking up an injury in the semi, and Nathan Jones gets another chance, replacing him in the team after being an emergency throughout the finals series thus far.

We’ve got a huge contingent of fans travelling over to Foul Bay to watch the game, and the whole team will be staying on afterwards to watch the other grand final with them in the outer.

Good luck to all other grand finalists!

In: Esava Ratugolea, Nathan Jones, Tom Bellchambers.
    Out: Aaron Sandilands (retired), Allen Christensen (injured), Zac Clarke (rested/managed).

D: Rory Laird, Bachar Houli, Pearce Hanley, Shannon Hurn (Cale Hooker);
    M: Matt Crouch, Josh P Kennedy, Touk Miller, Tom Rockliff (Cam Sutcliffe);
    R: Tom Bellchambers;
    F: Chad Wingard, Richard Douglas, Esava Ratugolea, Kade Lambert (Taylor Walker);
    I: Nathan Jones, Jack Steven (Cam Guthrie).

Somewhat noteable absentees: Mitch Wallis, Grant Birchall, David Armitage, Josh Jenkins, Zach Tuohy, Aaron Sandilands, Allen Christensen.

• Like Like x 1
  14. anthak

A late change to our emergencies.
    Cale Hooker has been left back in Gariwerd. Cam Guthrie is now emergency for defense, and Zach Tuohy is now emergency for the interchange

• Like Like x 2
  15. ChiefRussell

Grand Final anti-climax. Chooks playing their worst game of the year. Really annoying.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

EPL may be minus the drama but better rewards a season

17. ChiefRussell

Take nothing away from @Fitzy he has deserved a flag for the last three years. Was the premiership favorite, he has built a squad that has coped well with injuries. He didn’t have Greene this week either and hasn’t needed Kruezer either. Congrats mate.

Quite simply, five scores under 50 won’t get it done. Worst games of the season from Cunnington, Selwood, Hawkins, McEvoy, Goldstein and Saad. Not even Danger could build the score to anything more than mediocre. The positional gods forced my hand in going for one final tilt before the rebuild (had to capitalise on Kelly and Danger being forwards for one year) but unfortunately I came up one week short. Now, I’d better get back to that rebuild...

• Like Like x 6
  18. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

How are we looking guys??

19. ChiefRussell

I had no players playing on Sunday, hence my concession speech. Stopped counting at that point, I imagine @Fitzy has me covered by about 150.

• Like Like x 2
  20. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Commiserations @ChiefRussell - I think we have all experienced that feeling of hopelessness when we realise we cannot win. You are a class act mate, look forward to seeing how you approach the rebuild.

Well done Fitzy - its about bloody time.

• Like Like x 5