ORFFA Rules & Changes discussion

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Bandit, Aug 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Raise any desired changes here for discussion/voting

2. Bandit

One of the things I would like to discuss is something for the final round for the 14 non competing teams to do, maybe a grudge match round, a single round SOO style format, or something else, just something to keep some interest.

Thoughts?

3. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

In the FW competition we held a State of Origin match on Grand Final week. Eligibility was on player's state of origin allegiances (Victoria vs the Rest) and players playing in the GF were not eligible so FW club allegiances was not important but all teams saw their players running around on the big day.

If ORFFA SOO is held during the byes then I am not sure whether another SOO week really adds much interest though. Perhaps a revamped 4 team SOO comp with a round robin in the byes and GF in Round 23 might be feasible? Or maybe just do away with the Zac and play state of origin in parallel with ORFFA finals rather than through the byes.

From this club owners perspective I am not sure what value a club based exhibition round adds unless there is something on the line like draft picks, but even then I reckon if it isn't broke don't fix it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bandit

I’m not talking about any prize for winning, and certainly not draft picks.

I’m talking about a round for shits and giggles... happy to do nothing as you correctly said it ain’t necessarily broke

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  5. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I'd be up for a grudge match round for sure

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bandit

Just not sure how we can do it... say for example I wanted a grudge match against you, and one against @graeme, we could do the fixtures but not sure TS can handle multiple games for the same team. It would be good to enter the team once, but it could be used against multiple opponents @walesy ?

7. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

Can we review the rule where you cannot trade more than 2 drafts of picks ahead?

I had a situation last year, pre PSD where I wanted to trade the following seasons PSD picks and couldnt. I think it would be fair to say that coaches could trade at least the next YEAR ahead. i.e. right now I could trade both 2020 and 2021 PSD and MSD picks. Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bandit

I don't mind the idea, in fact I like it.

My preference would be that we would say go 3 drafts ahead ie: this period you could trade 2020 PSD, 2020 MSD and 2021 PSD picks, effectively a 12 month rolling period, but if others are happy to open the conversation then we can decide number of drafts etc later

9. jimbowan

jimbowan Well-Known Member

I am ok with that, I am just after more flexibility for coaches.

10. Len

I believe I've suggested it before, I am a fan, but it has to be limited to stop a coach trading out a teams future, throwing his/her toys out of the cot when it doesn't work and leave us to find a coach for a team that has no future draft picks.
    The one extra draft ahead is I feel an acceptable risk and also allows for trade flexibility which has been difficult to achieve of late

11. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I’m supportive of trading picks 3 drafts ahead

12. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

I am opposed to trading picks more than 2 drafts ahead. It seems to me that the (artificial) afl rule about having to exercise first round draft picks every x years is an artifact of them not restricting trading too far forward. Perhaps we need to encourage some of the Association to start trading.

13. Len

That was/is only valid during the inroductory period and was genuine rules on the fly shit..
    The actual trading between teams was a lot more interesting and with the dumb "must use x picks" would be very simple and effective.

Any other solutions to encourage trading are eagerly invited

14. ChiefRussell

ChiefRussell Well-Known Member

My (possibly left field) idea is to reduce the number of keepers from your squad to say 20, but allow teams to keep an additional 4 players that are trade ins from another club. If you don’t trade, that’s fine, but you can only keep a maximum of 20 of your own and would then have to draft 8. If you make all four of your trade in’s you keep 24 and go to the draft with four live picks. This essentially encourages trading as it is more likely than not that your last few picks are at the back end of the draft where players are crap so people are going to want to take the larger squad into the draft so they aren’t picking from the dregs.

15. Len

I'd be all for it, the deeper the cut, or threatened cut, the better up to a point, unfortunately self interest has blocked my previous efforts to get the league to agree to them. Maybe a trade bone would change that, only a vote would tell for sure.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

Regarding trading future picks I am up for extending the number of drafts ahead as I believe more deals will get done if coaches have access to multiple drafts. Noting the "sell the farm" issue restrictions can be applied if coaches feel that they are needed.

To avoid confusion concerning which drafts are included in the allowable future picks window I would propose that as of 1 January draft picks for the current years drafts as well as the following years drafts can be traded, ie
    1 January - 31 December 2019 draft picks in 2019 PSD, 2019 MSD, 2020 PSD and 2020 MSD can all be traded
    1 January - 31 December 2020 draft picks in 2020 PSD, 2020 MSD, 2021 PSD and 2021 MSD can all be traded, etc

17. Bandit

[
    I think 4 drafts is too far ahead personally, but happy to put it to a vote. I am just not sure there are enough people that actually want to make any changes at all. So I propose we do the following:

First vote : Vote to make changes to the current delist and trading protocols ie: are there enough people actually wanting to change

if this vote gets up then we can discuss what/how we want to change the delist and/or pick trading rules.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 5
  18. Len

Sounds like a plan

• Like Like x 1
  19. snoz

snoz Moderator

My 2c.......I’d vote yes to three drafts ahead for trading but only in the offseason......ie not mid season.

I’d also vote hell no to deeper list cuts :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  20. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

All for a bit of democracy - Boris Johnson has inspired me to that belief.

• Like Like x 1