'19-'20 NBA Chatter

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Rad_E_Cool, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Rad_E_Cool

Rad_E_Cool Active Member

I thought I'd kick off the thread for NBA related discussion outside of the draft and competition threads.

Firstly, the annual NBA Almanac done by that guy for free is out. Read all about it here.

I've been enjoying the mandatory official heights without shoes results coming in as well. Whilst there was someone that was compiling the height differences in a Google Sheet, it doesn't appear to have been updated recently with the new heights so I won't list it, but you can find the players listed in descending order by height here

However, some of the notable ones are Donovan Mitchell and Derrick Rose measuring 6'1", JJ Barea dropping from 6'0" to 5'10", and Isaiah Thomas now at 5'8". Most of the international players stayed at the same height due to international basketball convention already being without shoes. Some players went up though (with the rounding to nearest inch), including LeBron (6'9"), Durant (6'10") and Boban Marjanovic (7'4").

• Like Like x 1
  2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I love how they’ve gone with proper heights now.
    Be great to find some of the olden days players actual heights :)

3. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Still openly an NBA fantasy rookie here, so apols if this is an obvious question.
    Looking to track fantasy points (fpts) for all players in live or recently played games.
    Prev yrs you could access via NBA scoreboard whilst viewing your own matchup box scores.
    This is still the case in the mobile app but I can’t find fpts via the NBA scoreboard link in the desktop site.
    Anyone locate this, or has it been removed?

4. Rad_E_Cool

Rad_E_Cool Active Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was gone with the website update last season. The FantasyCast thing used to pop out in a separate browser window. I'd have it in the background whilst working. Now I gotta look at my phone to get that. I'm not sure if there is an alternative tool.

• Like Like x 2
  5. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Couple of sleepers to keep an eye on...
    Good luck telling them apart.
    upload_2019-10-24_15-35-8.png

• Like Like x 5
  6. Rad_E_Cool

Rad_E_Cool Active Member

All teams are now at least 10% through the season. Anyone have any thoughts on the NBA (fantasy relevant or not)?

Here's a few of mine:
    1. Surprised at the size of the leap some big guards are making this season as the primary options - we would have all thought that Luka Doncic and Malcolm Brogdon would improve, but 27.7/10.8/9.1 and 20.8/5.2/8.9 respectively is quite good. Both are shooting the 3 worse than their career numbers so even more to go there.
    2. The Lakers have suprised me. I bet the Under on them due to depth issues but they've found a way to get it done. Turns out having 2 of the top 5 players is quite valuable.
    3. The Celtics are also surprising - Kemba hasn't differed much from his stats in Charlotte, but they're piling on the wins.
    4. Injuries suck and there's so many of them. It's not any different to other years but you forget how regularly they occur.

• Like Like x 1
  7. stowie

stowie Moderator

Injuries do suck, but you're right they're probably around the same as other years.

The Warriors really, really fell off... maybe the deal with the devil for a new stadium was real!

Suns the biggest surprise for me, looks somewhat sustainable too. Baynes for MIP, has been huuuge!

• Like Like x 2
  8. anthak

It’s funny, earlier today, I was planning to pick up Bogdan Bogdanovic as soon as rosters locked for today’s games, but then I found out Fox rolled his ankle at training so I thought I’d take a chance on Cory Joseph instead... later on Fox has been confirmed out for 3 weeks, and rotoworld is predicting Bogdan to be the big winner lol. I kinda wish I’d never heard about the injury and just stuck with my original idea.... but who knows how it’ll work out anyway. We’ll see how it goes

9. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I am clearly not getting better at this, I think will be my last season of NBA.
    upload_2019-11-13_12-51-41.png

• Like Like x 1
  10. anthak

@ddsaints I can’t believe I won by just 0.4 fpts total! What a great matchup!

• Like Like x 1
  11. anthak

@headmandude in our league, you’ve got the lowest ‘points for’ and the highest ‘points against’!! Lots of thrashings so far, but good to see you get a win this week :)

12. anthak

I’ve just noticed the margin has changed to 4.4 ! Same result, I’m relieved it didn’t change the result.

13. Steve

Steve Moderator Staff Member

My jaw just dropped with the trade that just came through in Premier League

Embiid and Murray for Bryant and Kennard

Wow!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. stowie

stowie Moderator

@bgt2110 blowing it up after trading Kawhi for Lavine yesterday too!

• Like Like x 1
  15. anthak

these full days have caused havoc as usual. Ive made some terrible decisions and left loads of points on the bench :(

16. Rad_E_Cool

Rad_E_Cool Active Member

Oooh, yeah 100 points on the bench. But to be fair, I can't see how you could've put Powell on over Simmons, Zinger or Barrett (maybe Fultz). Would've had to drop someone to activate Baynes and DiVincenzo only beat out Fultz.

You left the most on the bench on Friday for sure though. I left the most on the Wednesday though - 70.2 points (including a minus 6.7 though).

I love the full-slate days though. You really have to think about who you are going to play by working out their opponents and the amount of rest etc., and just hope no surprise injury drops after lockout.

• Like Like x 1
  17. anthak

Both days I left points on the bench were last minute decisions which went against me.

On Wednesday, just before lockout, I moved Jaxson Hayes into my lineup for PJWashington. Favors was out again, Washington had been struggling a little and I thought had a hard matchup against Drummond & Griffin. But PJW outscored Hayes by ~20 fpts.

On Thursday, my last minute swap was to put Fultz in instead of Norm Powell. I’d seen Aaron Gordon was out, as well as Vooch et al, so I thought Fultz might see some more usage than normal, and Powell’s output had dropped off a tad prior to then. But Norm ended up having a career night and outscored Fultz by almost 40 fpts.

I’m pleased to have still come away with a W though... and you can’t say the same @Rad_E_Cool

Your Wednesday looked difficult to choose your starters, even in hindsight!

18. Rad_E_Cool

Rad_E_Cool Active Member

I have never gotten used to looking at a team's percentage and working out what that means they're on track for in terms of wins at the end of the season. Common usage is to say "50-win team", not "61% win-loss team" and apart from seeing which teams have more wins than losses, I've not paid much attention to the % column.

This is why this time of the season is the best, as it's a simple case of multiplying the wins after 41 games played by 2, to see where teams are tracking. All teams have now played 41 games and here's what they are all on track for (playoff-bound teams in bold):

EAST
    Milwaukee - 70, Miami - 58, Toronto - 54, Boston - 54, Indiana - 52, Philadelphia - 50, Orlando - 40, Brooklyn - 36, Charlotte - 30, Chicago - 28, Detroit - 28, Washington - 26, Cleveland - 24, New York - 22, Atlanta - 18.

WEST
    Los Angeles Lakers - 66, Denver - 58, LA Clippers - 56, Utah - 56, Dallas - 52, Houston - 52, Oklahoma City - 46, Memphis - 38, San Antonio - 36, Phoenix - 34, Portland - 34, Minnesota - 30, New Orleans - 30, Sacramento - 30, Golden State - 18.

Milwaukee doesn't seem to have any bad players (although the Lopez twins are not rated highly by stats as they block out rather than grab rebounds), so even with "load management" could still keep this pace. The marquee matchups of strong teams usually is later in the season too, once the NFL ends, so that could bring the frontrunners back to the field a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tasho

tasho Member

And looking at the other end, aren’t the warriors set up well? Imagine the salt if they get the number 1 pick. Or trade it and DLO for another all world player? They’re going to be thereabouts again after one year of tanking

• Like Like x 1
  20. stowie

stowie Moderator

That 3 minutes of Zion in the last was unreal!

• Like Like x 1