2020 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by JPK, Oct 30, 2019.

1. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

He was already in the pool, everyone has had access to him so far so I can't see why he couldn't be chosen. He's not like one of the guys from outside the system (like Stack, Gibbons, etc. last season). Maybe wrong, but makes sense to me.

2. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

My 2 cents worth...
    Harley only became a listed AFL player on Feb 4th, when he signed with Melbourne, so he wasn't in the pool prior to that IMO.
    But he has been since then, so I believe he has been available for selection since that time. So anyone with a Pick after 1pm Tuesday could have selected him, including myself.
    I have no problem with Bennell being selected.

Over to the Commish and crew.....

• Like Like x 1
  3. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

I'd say its identical to Gibbons etc he wasn't on a list until as choppers said 4 Feb. I'm pretty sure there was a decision last year (when I asked about gibbons) in that they needed to be in the pool at the commencement of said draft.

Doesn't worry me either way as I wont be taking him but we need to be consistent.

4. choppers

No worries @tyze1. If it was decided last year a player had to be avail prior to the draft starting, then Bennell isn't available to be selected.
    But I can't remember that, which is par for the course, I can't even remember what I ate for dinner 3 nights ago...geez I hate getting old...;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

Just found this in last years draft thread - so looks like Bennell is out.

All good - with my injury riddled team I really shouldn’t be taking another one!

6. eagle_eyed

Fair call, not being on an AFL list at the start of our draft would make him ineligible.

7. eagle_eyed

So a question with this. If I had not delisted Harley would I have been able to take him into this season? He had a period of time where he was not on an AFL list, so did he leave the Sandgropers and go into the draft? Something to think about really. Doesn’t matter to me in this circumstance as I delisted him, but everyone had access to him and it was not until late in the draft someone was prepared to take a punt on him, I think he should have been eligible. There’s plenty of players whose contracts lapse between signing with new clubs however they are not excluded from the draft.

My understanding with what you found in last years draft thread was that we had already started our draft and then Gibbons (who had never been on an AFL list) was signed by Carlton and added to the TS database making him (and Stack) available further down the draft order, excluding some coaches from access to them. To fix this it was decided those “added” players were not eligible for the ORFFU draft.

8. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

my 2 cents worth is that at the time of when FU delistments were due Bennell wasn't on an AFL list so therefore couldn't be on an FU list.

He was then subsequently relisted and only when Melbourne signed him could he be redrafted

04 February - Melbourne signed him 4 Feb
    30 January, Thursday, Midnight AEDT - Delistments complete.
    31 January, Friday, 08:00 AEDT - PSD commences.

Had Melbourne signed him before delistments and the commencement of the FU draft happy days open to all or you could have elected to retain.

• Like Like x 3
  9. eagle_eyed

If this is the case then I feel the rules need to be clearer, as any player that was listed, left a club, trained with a new club and was then added to the new club's list (irrespective of whether this happened in November, December, January, etc.) would need to be ineligible for the ORFFU draft. I'd hazard a guess that this same scenario has played out in the past and the player was drafted without there being any objection or issue.

*Edit: What happens with Jack Martin? Was on a list, then off a list, then drafted pre-season? Should he have been put back in the pool as there was period of time where he was uncontracted?

10. choppers

My take on this situation........

Jack Martin was on an AFL list at the time of ORFFU De-listment deadline, and on an ORFFU list (Cow Bay) so was not available as an ORFFU Free Agent.

Harley Bennell was NOT on an AFL list at ORFFU De-listment deadline and should have been de-listed from his ORFFU team, (Sthn Cross) and he duly was de-listed.
    Because he wasn't on an AFL list at this time, he was not an ORFFU Free Agent at the commencement of the ORFFU PSD and was not available to be selected.

• Like Like x 4
  11. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

PattonDownTheHatch has joined the SC league :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

I'm Baaaaaaaaack

Looks like you fine gentlemen managed in my absence.
    My personal opinion on the Bennell drafting is that he is not available to be selected because he wasn't on an AFL list as an AFL registered player at the time of our FU delistments and commencement of the FU Draft (as had been mentioned).

13. fresh

fresh Well-Known Member

@JPK

Just want to make sure I understand, from the end of the 2020 PSD up until the end of the 2021 PSD we need to have had 4 changes in our squad (via trading or drafting)? So any trades done now prior to season commencing would also count towards the 4 changes?

14. JPK

Negative.
    Its the end of the Pre-Season Period.
    So, from lockout for round 1 this year, through to lockout for round 1 next year, all teams require 4 new faces.
    The squad that you have to enter each season must have 4 new players each time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JPK

Fixture for 2020 has been uploaded.
    Can someone please go through it and confirm that I haven't done anything stupid.
    As we had arranged before, the first three rounds of 2019 are now the last 3 rounds of 2020, while everything gets bumped up (so R4 last year is R1 this year). Also H&A teams have been reversed.
    Thanks in advance gentlemen.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  16. choppers

Banchang's fixture is in the correct order.

17. eagle_eyed

I’m probably wrong here, but I thought it would be 4 changes over PSD & MSD not MSD & PSD, if you get where I’m coming from. The way I thought it would run would mean before the MSD we’d need to see how many player trades & PSD picks each team had made/taken, and any team that had not made 4 changes would have mandatory picks in the MSD. The way you’ve written it boss would mean this calculation would need to be made prior to the PSD. I guess another way to think about it is I was thinking the season closed after the GF rather than before round 1, and then any trades made would contribute to the next season with the cut off again being after the GF. I guess everything depends on what we define as an ORFFU season.

This makes sense in my head, maybe not so much in text :confused:

18. eagle_eyed

My games look Ok. Pumped for the final round derby against rivals Coolgardie. If history’s anything to go by they’ll have put the cue in the rack as they prepare for their annual September holiday ;):D:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. JPK

Yeah, that probably makes more sense. Let me see if I have something somewhere that clarifies things...

20. JPK

......and screw you (and @tyze1 for liking your post)
    We take AUGUST holidays in Coolgardie :D:D:D

• Like Like x 1