Rookie Watch! (2020)

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Cpt Pugwash, Feb 17, 2020.

By Cpt Pugwash on Feb 17, 2020 at 8:15 AM
  1. Cpt Pugwash

Cpt Pugwash Active Member

With the Marsh Series kicking off on Thursday, here’s our opportunity to discuss this years Rookie options and your report on them.

Here are a few talking points to consider in your assessments:

- Price
    - Position
    - % Team Selection (SC)
    - Role Being Played
    - Stats (SC)
    - Minutes Played
    - Job Security
    - POD (Yeah/Nah)
    - Over Rated (Why?)

And Rate your top 5 Rookies on each line -

5AA3BB58-A94F-4BA9-92F2-FB327B4E4041.jpeg

• Like Like x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Cpt Pugwash, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Cpt Pugwash
      Cpt Pugwash
      Rookies on my Radar! (Under 200k).

Defence:
      1. J. Brander (WC)
      2. T. Rivers (MLB)
      3. B. Starcevich (BRIS)
      4. H. Young (FRE)
      5. W. Gould (SYD)

Mids:
      1. D. Stephens (SYD)
      2. D. Robertson (BRIS)
      3. L. Valente (FRE)
      4. M. Hibberd (ESS)*
      5. M. Pickett (RICH)

Forwards:
      1. C. Budarick (GCS)
      2. N. Cockatoo (GEE)
      3. I. Rankin (GCS)
      4. J. Mahony (NTH)
      5. S. Hill (FRE)*

Ruck:
      Let’s face it, we don’t do Rookies here. Though, who is your bench player?

Keen on your take of those above!

* Rookie by price only
      • Like Like x 1
    2. martyg
      martyg
      I think Cockatoo is injured, not sure on the details though.
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Bearfly
      Bearfly
      Keep an eye on Port's top 4 picks from the draft - Dylan Williams was a revelation in Friday evening's intra-club kicking 3 goals for the weaker white team.
      Georgiadis was crashing packs all evening and his athleticism stood out - took some nice grabs, as he has been doing all pre-season.
      Mead will be a gun, even though he didn't play due to a bit of a hammy tweak - he is one of the most professional 18yo lads you will find in the league.
      • Like Like x 4
    4. Cpt Pugwash
      Cpt Pugwash
      I read they were pulling him up for safety. I smell some BS coming out of the cats.

No full preseason = No selection
    5. Cpt Pugwash
      Cpt Pugwash
      Thanks Bearfly - sounds like local knowledge. Putting the Port rookies on the watch list.

Will they blood a few this year??
    6. Bearfly
      Bearfly
      Think you can pretty much bank on the 4 top picks definitely debuting through the season.
      Hinkley has come out and said already that at least 1 will debut in round 1 based on pre-season training efforts (Marsh series games will determine if it eventuates) - I'm leaning towards either Williams or Georgiadis atm, possibly both
      • Like Like x 1
    7. stripey
      stripey
      What were your thoughts on Willem Drew's performance Bear?
    8. Len
      Len
      For the giants
      Ash & Green - Will play this year, round 1 possible but no better than 50/50 on either atm, if they get a decnt run they will produce numbers that justify the price.
      Riccardi is there if Finlayson doesn't get his shit together
      Hutcheson unlikely given the queue for Tomlinson's wing role
      Speaking of that queue
      O'Halloran is one to watch closely, if he gets a run in both PS hitouts I will be jumping on
      Caldwell in front for the role at the moment and as a second year player with a rookie cost is enticing if named there round 1
      Flynn rehabbing an ACL
      Briggs 3rd ruck (or 2nd depending on how Mummy is viewed) but start later in the season more likely than not
    9. insider
      insider
      You dont reckon Perryman gets the wing gig @Len ?
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Len
      Len
      He's not quick enough, good user but more likely to settle into a halfback style role I believe
    11. stripey
      stripey
      For the Eagles, there's not much on offer. Barring injury to either Gov or Barras, Brander will get games but probably not regularly enough to warrant selection. Jarrod Cameron (Jazza?) will hopefully get regular games but he's not rookie priced any more..

Given we are in full premiership mode our only guaranteed new player in the team is a young buck by the name Tim Kelly. We have several other guys that were in and out of the team last year that should continue to get opportunities but they are also not rookie priced. I'm not hearing that any of the other first, second or third year guys who haven't played yet are pushing for selection either.
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Cpt Pugwash
      Cpt Pugwash
      Sounds like having Brander on the bench may need a rethink. Though I have opted for 1-2 slow burn rookies in the past, especially if they are DPP and with S. Hill in my team atm and maybe Dawson (Syd) the added flexibility in my team might be worth it.
    13. Cpt Pugwash
      Cpt Pugwash
      I'm a fan - … "O'Halloran is one to watch closely, if he gets a run in both PS hit outs I will be jumping on" ...
      • Like Like x 1
    14. stripey
      stripey
      Brander is very talented but is one of those players that can play any position... We need to start playing him because our key position players are nearing retirement but they just haven't figured out where to play him yet (defence, wing, forward)... I am excited to see what they do with him in the Marsh series, he was an early pick and I don't want him to leave because of a lack of opportunities
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Cpt Pugwash
      Cpt Pugwash
      GEELONG - Cooper Stephens (MID):

Cats Fans, got any intel? Read he'll play in the Pre-Season. Don't hear his name much.

A quick Google said this -
      • Pick 16 (2019)
      • $139,800 (1% Selection in SC)
      • 188cm (83kg)
      • Averaged 23 disposals per game for the Falcons in their final four outings of 2018
      • Won at least 22 touches in both of his completed NAB League matches
      • 2019 draft pool’s top contested-ball-winners
      • Had a fibula fracture
      • Played with Sam Walsh and Ned McHenry
      • Plays both inside and outside the contest
      • Equal 1st in the Yo-You Test (21.8)
      • 6min 17sec - 2km time trial (=5th) - Good endurance.
    16. Bearfly
      Bearfly
      I'm a bit wary of Drew tbh, although I am a massive fan of his - had a late start to ps due to rehab for foot surgery.
      All I can say is keep an eye on Marsh games to see what game time he gets (also how he is used) - with Ollie out for the first month or two of the season, there is an opportunity for any player who wants it - but I honestly think Houston and Rozee have first dibs on any vacant mid spots
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Cpt Pugwash
      Cpt Pugwash
      I’d back in Rozee atm. He’s already a gun and could be better than Walsh if he gets regular mid time. Ollie’s body must be a worry?
    18. That KI Guy
    19. Cpt Pugwash
      Cpt Pugwash
      • Like Like x 1
      • Option 5 Option 5 x 1