ORFFL 2020 PSD

Discussion in 'ORFFL' started by Len, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

I gotta go to bed soon sorry guys, hoping that PL can show up in the next few.

2. thokash

thokash Full-Time Magician Staff Member

Did you want to drop me or @Len or someone else your pick @Iain?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iain

Yeah, thanks mate.

4. EddieV

EddieV Active Member

While we have the draft going and have everyone on. I wondered if we should change the autopick time to 6 hours. Yes it will put more time pressure and in the short term more autopicks but It would also encourage people to pass selections on ahead of time if they're not going to be around or are uncertain. I can't see most being too upset if they got the odd autopick because they couldn't check in for 6 hours and hadn't left any pre-selections. The drafts lose their fun when there's continuous waiting around. That's what we want to keep without League. Some fun , energy and engagement at the very least during our two draft periods a year.
    I'm still loving the league but the energy feels stale . I've loved the continuity of coaches that we've had long-term and I'm so looking forward to the Jack rabbits finally breaking their finals hoodoo and seeing the Wanderers back in the 8 but I'd rather have coaches that turn up then just sticking with a team for the sake of it sad as that would be. I've been one of the MIA coaches when I had my own health issues so am by no means perfect. We are the original and vainly I still think premier League (no offence to the other leagues) so I just wanted to say and do a little to help keep us there.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. EddieV

EddieV Active Member

So if possible if each coach could say yes or no to changing the time limit for the next draft to 6 hours and if anyone has any issues with forwarding a selection of pics to someone else please write a short blurb on it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thokash

Definitely too late to change anything about this current draft, but maybe we can brainstorm a few ideas and put them into practice for the MSD as a test. Not sure what the answer is exactly could be shorter pick times, live draft day, live pick swaps, less delistings/picks overall, etc. It's hard because the overall time for the draft isn't the problem I assume we'll get done by the start of the season, but it definitely hurts the flow of the draft. For a 6 hour pick time limit though I would say shortlists should be mandatory at that point, would be super easy to miss a 6 hour window.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thokash

Pick 72 - Callum Ah Chee - Popanyinning Pyrite (autopick)

Pick 73 - Noah Balta - Queenstown Quolls by @Iain

@stripey is up with pick 74

I have pick 76 by @Johnson ready to go as well

• Like Like x 3
  8. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

If everyone gave me their mobile # we'd fly through, though all the above would also help

9. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

A short blurb. Having been in the position of holding picks for someone else it is deflating when you see one or two that were on your own list. To avoid compromise, pick lists are best given to someone outside of the league, but a regular on TS. Second point, and I am not seeking any dispensation whatsoever, but I live in a different time zone. Normally no drama, but my last pick is a case in point. I stayed up until midnight (4 am) as I was only one pick away. I got up at 6 to take my pick, by which time the draft was held up for 4 hours (10 am your time). So, while I support the 6 hour pick limit, I could find myself caught in between, no matter how diligent. Last point, if it were up to me (and it's not as I am the newbie) I would appoint a draft master. Someone to set up, and run, the draft. We could learn a lot from how smoothly drafts run in other leagues. Much as it may hurt, some of them have passed us by.

Sadly I think a lot of the delays are down to a lack of enthusiasm and, not intentionally, but not realizing you are holding up your mates. Good though that there is still a coir of coaches willing to talk about it.

• Like Like x 4
  10. snoz

snoz Moderator

Maybe sNoZ to the rescue......I check in on this draft purely for voyeuristic pleasure about six times a day. Sadly due to the slowness I’ve been left wanting!! Probs more than a lot of your coaches too hahahahaha! No affiliations with any coaches outside of crossovers to other leagues.

Happy to be the outsider that coaches can send picks to in advance if they know they’ll struggle to be online. Dead zone is generally 3/4pm to 8/9pm Melbourne time but outside of that good to go.

Just a thought lads.......

• Like Like x 3
  11. Iain

Thanks Kash

12. Iain

My 2c are that 6 hours might be pushing it, but the live draft day for maybe the first 2 rounds worked ok previously, if I remember correctly anyway. Worst case if you can't be there then that's at most 36 players you need on a short-list, and I think for most that would probably help for the rest of the draft anyway. Personally I'm done for this draft and had less players than that on my list and still a few left undrafted now.

Friday nights are bad for me as I traditionally go and watch footy/sport at a mates place, and I stick to this religiously especially so now that I'm married, but even if that were the chosen night I would be happy to give a short-list to someone like the Coc or similar for it.

13. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

I reckon a combination of these two would go a long way. For my last pick, I got sent an SMS. It was godly and I had my pick up within 15 mins. As said, nobody wants to be holding up the draft, but we also do all have our own shit that stops us from checking as often as we'd like. (so much has changed in my life in the time that ORFF has been running, let alone TS as a whole!)

Probably would also help if I could get TS off all the email blacklists it seems to have gotten itself onto *tugs collar* :)

But yeah, phone# registry, or even a whatsapp or line group or one of those platforms would do the trick

14. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

I agree we can, and should, improve visits per day by ORFFL people. I would be most interested in what it would take for guys like Lucas and Johnson (I know I;ve missed a couple of non-shows out) to regularly make timely picks,

15. stripey

stripey Well-Known Member

oh god its hard to be happy with any of these players left....

Change in team, change in fortunes???

Pick 74 - Josh Bruce WBD FWD

@Doobs

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. stripey

I like the phone notification idea and certainly feel the first couple of rounds could be punched out much quicker with higher expectations on the coaches. After that I think it gets messy as we have to trawl through the bargain bin of free agents to fill the gaps in our teams..

17. Doobs

Doobs Active Member

Pick 75 - Paul Seedsman (ADL)

• Like Like x 1
  18. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Apologies people. Here I am at 7 am again. Waiting. Convinced now it's just me - my wish list well exceeds the number of picks I have. I don't have to trawl through the bargain bin. I still have the expectation that someone else will steal my choice. Do your homework and you might even find this end of the draft exciting. If not for the delays.

19. Iain

20. stripey