ORFFL - 2020 Chat

Discussion in 'ORFFL' started by stripey, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

at this stage R1 happens, and then we await the first positive in a player group, season is to be a 17 round comp plus finals. As it should be every year imo :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. stripey

stripey Well-Known Member

I think we'll be lucky to get past the first week.... with the travel involved it would just be more likely that someone will catch it pretty quickly, then its season off for a few months.

• Like Like x 1
  3. walesy

walesy Administrator Staff Member

It's got a 4-14 day incubation period. Given the close, physical quarter in which they work- If one person tests positive, it's likely that they would have already given it to the rest of their team, played another team, given it to them.

The Australian response to this thing has been crazily lackadaisical.

This is Italy 10 days ago

They had already shut down school at 150 confirmed cases, but were still naive to what was to come.

The US are currently chasing their tails, predicting upwards of a million deaths, are restricting gatherings to 10 people and looking to implement curfew.

Meanwhile here, my kid is in year 12 and has to show up to school with 1000 other kids.

4. stripey

stripey Well-Known Member

Yeah its not ideal if you actually have someone at risk in your house. I understand your frustration.

5. walesy

:) Yeah, I'm stressing out a little bit :)

On the plus side, I'm able to keep the other 3 clowns at home which is nice.

On the other hand though, I'm now home schooling 3 clowns while working from home. Fun times!

6. Jason

Jason Moderator Staff Member

I hope you've perfected and practiced your "teacher" voice chief!

7. walesy

"OMG, Just shut up and do your damn work you little hellbeasts" works in all voices.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Jason

We're definitely gonna need that catch up over a few drinks this year, hopefully once the pandemic situation has settled down.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HörnsySechsZeit

HörnsySechsZeit Jarhead Staff Member

Hey is there an ORFFL SC league this year?

10. Jason

Yes, I think I posted the number somewhere in this thread earlier but I'll look it up again.

EDIT: TS ORFFL 699907
    Currently 7 open spots in that league

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kel

Kel Moderator

Hope everything works out mate. We are in a similar position here except my wife developed flu symptoms yesterday so went to the doctor and had the test. We are still waiting for the results. Apparently the test is quite invasive, they stick the swab up your sinus pretty much as far as they can, and stick another one down your throat. In the mean time we have shut the pub to minimise exposure to the community if it does come back positive. Of course the small town rumour mill has kicked in and everyone is talking about how the lady from the pub has the Corona virus. Good times.

12. Kel

Kel Moderator

Our kids are home schooled full time so we've both got that one down pat

• Like Like x 2
  13. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Greetings from across the ditch. Everyone arriving in New Zealand after 1am (local time) yesterday is required to self-isolate. FYI, already three tourists are being deported - after quarantine - for failure to have a "self-isolation plan." It seems they had no intention of having their holidays interrupted. Good to see we are taking this threat as seriously as we should.

• Like Like x 2
  14. walesy

Blech, that doesn't sound much fun at all, not the test, nor the talk. Hopefully just a cold or flu though and it all comes up good.

I don't think the hospitals are overwhelmed yet, so if it does go to shit, I think treatment is still good.

15. Kel

Kel Moderator

Yeah it's not great as she also has a low immune system from having glandular fever and chronic fatigue about five years ago so is susceptible to whatever is going around.

16. Jason

Given the AFL season is down to not more than 17 matches already, should we consider changing the ORFFL format this year to be everyone plays each other once and no finals, just a winner which is whoever is at the top of the ladder?

17. port_leschenault

port_leschenault Administrator Staff Member

Think round 1 will go ahead.

Who knows what will happen after that. I think our fantasy seasons will be null and void by end of all this if seasons are being stop-started, crammed and crunched, which is the greatest travesty of all to come out of this damn virus. .

Edit after having seen the new fucking page that I somehow missed:

Make sure our teams are locked in, so in case of any multi-game weeks there'll be some scoring, and work out a h+a system on the fly is the go I think. Jason's EPL-style league probably simplest solution if all 17-rounds go ahead.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  18. HörnsySechsZeit

HörnsySechsZeit Jarhead Staff Member

I'm fine with whatever works and what we all agree is fair, or more precisely, fair enough.

19. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I'm down for whatever also, but jic we don't make 17 rounds, is a points for only comp worth looking at instead? makes buggerall difference to me obviously :p

20. thokash

thokash Full-Time Magician Staff Member

This sounds like something I can actually win! How many years can we backdate this?

Is the assumption of a 17 round season they scrap the byes? That would be nice.

What's the alternative, conference systems with some extravagent finals or something? Probably not even possible to do in TSLeagues.