2020 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by JPK, Oct 30, 2019.

1. wrightbrendan

wrightbrendan Well-Known Member

Getting in to the practicalities of the season, is anyone else able to clear/make changes to their matchday squad?

2. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

I can't update it, because its still reading the lockout from the original round 2, but hasn't opened it up again.
    @walesy are you able to fix this please chief?

• Like Like x 1
  3. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

Good call, boss...

4. ddsaints

ddsaints Well-Known Member

Just checking to say hello.
    Glad to have some footy back

• Like Like x 1
  5. choppers

@JPK Lockdown has been lifted in tsLeagues...

• Like Like x 1
  6. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

now If we can only get QLD to follow suit...

7. choppers

Why' s that....are you planning a trip ......;););)

• Like Like x 1
  8. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

Bombers Demons off tomorrow... first time a bomber player has actually tested positive to anything!

FU implications! following Gil's presser its now over to our own boss @JPK for an FU update!

• Like Like x 2
  9. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

If we don't take the averages for the players we may as well call season off.

10. JPK

Regarding Essendon:
    At this stage there is no indication (that I've seen) for when the Essendon-Melbourne game might go ahead. Although AFL indications are that round three will be eight games (not nine), and round four will go ahead as scheduled.

ORFFU round three will go ahead as planned. All Essendon and Melbourne players will score zero as though they were late withdrawals.
    Basically what we did a few years back with (I believe it was) Adelaide and Geelong when Phil Walsh passed away.

It sucks, but this is probably the way its going to have to be - unless the AFL can tell us when the Dons-Dees game will be rescheduled.
    On Friday night I traded Trent Rivers into my SC team - clearly that's a wasted trade now...

11. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

That’s a rubbish decision. This is post-lockout. So penalising people without even giving the chance to name replacements. Terrible call

12. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Not happy at all !!!!! This round needs to be called off...........

13. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

Wasn't it based on averages last time?

• Like Like x 1
  14. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

Found it.

15. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Nice find :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

extreme call mate, tis the season of flexibility - we all gotta roll with the punches.

Its why we pay the boss the big bucks. if this is the call, this is the call.

17. JPK

ok, ok, so clearly I've upset some coaches here.
    Turns out when Phil Walsh passed we did go with recent averages for Crows-Cats players (my memory served wrongly).
    So what are the options?
    1. Zeros for players that don't play, irrespective of the reason.
    2. Averages for effected Dons-Dees players (based on 2020 or 2019 or what?).
    3. Last round score for effected players.
    4. Chance to replace each player after lockout.
    5. Award each team a draw - ie kill the round entirely.
    The pitfalls as I see them are:
    1. Its really harsh and screws teams over quite badly - but late outs happen all the time (D Zorko tonight for example).
    2. This guarantees a score, but isn't reflective of anything (L Whitfield for example).
    3. See 2 (if we're giving away scores from last week for players missing this week, can I get B Parfitt's score from last week too? he's also sick / injured like all the Dons-Dees players effectively are).
    4. Some coaches just don't have the coverage, and with 44 less players scoring this week, there just might not be the number of players available to field full teams anyway.
    5. Its a completely missed round, when we're already on the limit, so there's no chance to make this up.
    There's also the issue that the AFL haven't indicated when the Dons-Dees game will occur, although SC and CD are already talking about the possibility of two games in one week with effected players scoring from both games counted in the week (so suddenly each effected player is worth "double", so we'll have games the equivalent of 17 players v 15 players, which clearly isn't equitable).

I'll accept that I went down the dictator path, instead of asking for opinions / input, so here's your chance.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  18. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

Happy for a vote to settle it.

I think going with player averages is the easiest and fairest - whether that is based on the first 2 rounds of 2020 or on 2019 averages or both combined would probably need a separate vote.

Giving coaches the option of replacing a player instead of taking their average score is another fair option.

I think @JPK 's pifall #3 should be taken into account - seems fair that anyone with a separate late out this round should be able to replace them / take their average score - and my opponent this week has Josh Kelly.

Other than that, I'm effectively a neutral party in this - I've dodged a bullet this round with only 1 Essendon player and 0 Melbourne players on the field + a solid Emergency score to cover the 1 Essendon player.

Let's just hope the footy continues this season!

19. choppers

OK here's my alcohol fueled take on this unusual never seen before ORFFU situation.
    OPTIONS.
    2. 2020 averages for Melb/Ess players only to be used for those players named in the starting 15.

PITFALLS
    1. Melb /Ess players should not be regarded as late outs.....they want to play but they have been refused.....big difference
    3. Ess/Melb players are not injured..they're just not allowed to play....and no you can't get Parfitt's score from last week, just like I can't get Cunnington's score.;)
    4. Correct, some coaches don't have the cover, so if they selected a Melb/Ess player in their 15 prior to lockdown, give them the 2020 average for that player.

It's not a perfect solution, and I'm sure others have an opinion on it as well, but it's the best I can think of at the moment....I'm off now to have the biggest glass of water I can find and try and get some sleep.....

20. choppers

I agree with this.....but think it should be 2020 averages.

Now I'm off to get that water.o_O