2020 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by JPK, Oct 30, 2019.

1. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

100% agree

• Like Like x 1
  2. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

Agree 100%, this is exactly what was done for the Adelaide/Geelong game, just those players named to play (ie N Jones & D Heppell etc doesn't count as they were already out) averages for the current year only.

Have to draw a line in the sand somewhere, hopefully it covers 90-95% of teams.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

This decision doesn't really affect the Eden vs Gisborne game, but I reckon 2019 averages may be best. On one hand you've got Zaharakis averaging 38 for the year so far, which is ridiculously low, then on the other hand you've got Viney averaging 136 so far which he definitely won't keep up. For the players who didn't play last year I'm happy for 2020 averages.

4. Batfink

Batfink Well-Known Member

Well I have 4 named Essendon & Melbourne players in my starting 15 and while I can take the emergency players scores, I have 2 fwds and 2 mids and only 1 emergency on each line, therefore I’m short 2 players. If I replace them then these players will be OOP players, resulting in a 50% reduction in score as well. While it’s unlikely I’ll win the current game, however with the way SC rescoring is being applied who knows, I think the Chopper option is the only option at this stage, unless Gil makes announcement later this arvo with when this game will be played.

5. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

2019 averages really ? That was such a long time ago does not make sense as there are too many variables from last year. 2020 reflects the here and now and is a true indicator. Look at smith from Bulldogs he is on fire this year and constant using his average from last year doesn't make any sense at all.

6. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Fantasy just released this statement.

FOLLOWING the announcement that the Essendon v Melbourne game will be postponed and played later in the year, there will be some changes to AFL Fantasy scoring for players selected initially for the Sunday clash.

The 44 Bombers and Demons players selected as of Friday night's full lockout will be awarded their 2020 average for round three.

7. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

See, I can't support that. Maybe I'm too hard-lined, but if you don't play you don't score.
    Plus, a player like Zorko was named at Friday lockout, and was a late out Saturday evening - so by the same logic should his average count for his coaches?

Anyway, it seems most 'FU coaches want averages used (are these the same coaches who have the most to lose if we don't use averages???)... Lets give it a little more time to see what everyone else has to say.

8. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

I don't agree with the Zorko analogy either. The players locked in by Friday night lockdown are the players who are able to score.
    If Zorko was a late out, and the coach had no mid cover, then Zorko (Groote Eyelandt) gets a zero, same as Cunnington (Banchang)who doesn't score either, as he was a late out.
    However if you had Melb/Ess players in your 15 at lockdown, then I believe they should get their 2020 average awarded to them for this round.
    Disclaimer: Banchang has Ed Langdon in that category.

9. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

2019 was last year, you get slight changes year to year but not major. Do you honestly expect Smith to continue all the way through, and Zaharakis to continue failing? 2 rounds isn't a large enough statistical sample to make an educated guess about a player's form, especially with 2 months in between two rounds. 22 rounds of consistent football is enough to form an opinion on the scoring patterns of a player, not 2 disjointed rounds

And yes, I see the AFLfantasy decision but I still think they are wrong

10. bryzza

bryzza Well-Known Member

Superoach is taking best 18.
    If coaches aren't comfortable with averages maybe we should go with best 10?

11. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

I think this is the best option - avoids the averages issue discussed above.

I would think top 12/13 is closer though, we’ve lost around 11% (2/18 teams) of our players on average so a similar reduction in squad size makes sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. YAD69

You also need to be aware of what @walesy can actually do in his platform.

• Like Like x 1
  13. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

mate I think the “dictator path” as you refer to yourself was a perfect move, I just think it was a shit decision. that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t accept and respect it though. I’m/we’re allowed to have a different opinion AND still follow what the boss says... I think that’s still ok in society? Just...

anyway, to the issue at hand, I think drawing parallels of late outs etc is definitely not apples for apples. I crashed my Datsun so my insurance company should replace my car with a Lamborghini... not exactly the same.
    With the exception of McKenna, no dees or dons are ‘out’ per se. The game was postponed. The Zorko comment could be countered by saying, If you are Too Serious you should be following your players, know he has a niggle and name an emergency accordingly.
    Now that may or may not be reasonable, but my point is just to illustrate that it’s a vastly different scenario.

Anyway I won’t put forth an opinion as I’m probably the most affected and therefore too heavily biased.
    I will echo my initial statement though - you’re the commissioner @JPK and I will support and abide by whatever decision you come to mate... even if I reckon it’s shit ;)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

I've asked the question, all leagues need to know the most viable option/s

15. YAD69

Just checked the FU fielded list, no one has a player named that has a zero average, that's including emergencies so hopefully that assists with making a decision.

• Like Like x 2
  16. JPK

I guess the other option for us is to wait for the reschedules Dons-Dees game, and just add those scores to whatever happened this round with the effected players. Seeing as it makes no real difference to us other than having to wait for the result.
    I'd add a stipulation that the players would have to be those as named on Friday night (so I couldn't take advantage of a possible O Fantasia recall, for example), and any changes between last Friday teams and whenever the actual match goes ahead, will have to be covered by emergencies named last Friday.

• Like Like x 1
  17. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

Surely we either use our reserves or we use averages. One or the other. Sh1t happens, swings & roundabouts, one game at a time :thumbsu:

18. YAD69

You're forgetting that the Essendon players, some or all might need to quarantine and therefore not play in the postponed match or might not even play the round 3 match.

19. JPK

See, to me that makes them sick (injury list), or even suspended.

If the match goes ahead and they're not available to play, then they score zero.
    When the match goes ahead, for the sake of the 'FU, doesn't matter too much, as long as we can add the scores in before the end of the season and recalculate total points scored and wins.

20. YAD69

Man, you just keep digging yourself deeper.
    Anyway, it's your call boss, good luck.

• Like Like x 1