ORFFA Round 3 review

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by anthak, Jun 27, 2020.

1. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Apologies for the delay in posting this review. It was unclear at first what the postponed game would mean for the results of these games so I initially held off until we somewhat knew what was going on. And then I was just too busy with other RL things later in the week.... but here it is, without further adieu:

Round 3 – AFL Round 3 Date
    Thursday 18th June 2020
    THEME - Retire His Number Round

"Over nine years of ORFFA action, all of our clubs will have had a standout performer, a player whose deeds have gone down in folklore and whose name is etched on all manner of honorboards, engraved on numerous trophies, or just carved into multiple clubroom walls with a switchblade. Anyhoo, this round is the one where coaches can – nay, must – nominate who they think their club’s best all time fantasy player is. Then, in a ceremony befitting the occasion, we will formally hang their guernsey from the rafters. Note - all coaches must ensure the players involved are not wearing their guernseys as they are hoisted to the rafters" (@chris88 ).

Match Reports:

Foul Bay Chickens 1230 defeated Cradle Mountain Devils 1008
    The round started with a much anticipated game between these two previously unbeaten teams. But before they could get into the action, the home team of Foul Bay put on a wonderful pre-game ceremony honouring their beloved Mark Seaby by retiring his #1. Unfortunately Mark skipped the ceremony because there was a mixup and he got on a plane to Tasmania instead of SA. It was too late by the time anyone realised, but he duly travelled to Foul Bay as soon as he was directed in the right way and arrived in time to watch the actual game. The game itself didn’t actually live up to the pre-game hype and it was a big win for the home side, who were led by their two ruckmen, Todd Goldstein (151) and John Ceglar (120), absolutely smashing the Devils’ ruck duo of Rowan Marshall (81) and Ivan Soldo (32). The Chickens remain undefeated and looked poised for another strong season.

Wagga Wagga Wombats 1251 lost to Gundagai Grasshoppers 1453
    Gundagai Grasshopers win this high scoring affair and sit undefeated on top of the ladder after three rounds. Perhaps the other ORFFA teams could all take note of the Grasshoppers’ tactics as it was revealed post match that the Gundagai management didn’t even realise this was a head to head league this year and were solely focused on maximising their points total each week thinking the final ladder was to be based on total ‘points for’. Their tactic is working with them scoring the equal highest score this round and holding the most total ‘points for’ of all teams thus far this season, and by a large margin! In this game, Gundagai’s defenders (63, 74, 90, 43) and Wagga Wagga’s forwards (30, 51, 47, 60) didn’t have much of an opportunity to get near the ball; and the game was won in the middle where all 4 of Gundagai’s midfielders tonned up, with Lachie Neale (166) leading the way.

Marble Bar Misfits 1183 lost to Gariwerd Cockatoos 1331
    One of only two games this round where both teams retired the number of one of their greats pre game. Callan Ward of Marble Bar and Shannon Hurn of Gariwerd attended the centre of the field for the pre-game coin toss, but instead they were surprised to find out they would instead be part of a hazing ceremony in front of everyone to have their respective numbers retired. Unfortunately it was all too much for them and neither performed too well in the game itself. It was a fairly close game, but Gariwerd had a fraction more of a balanced team performance and came away with the win, leaving Marble Bar languishing winless so far in 2020.

Lovely Banks Lilacs 1159 defeated Nareewillock Nuffers 1032
    The Nareewillock Nuffers were up to all sorts of tricks in this one, firstly paying homage to their former administration by bringing out club stalwart, high draft pick and long time Nuffa speedster Dennis Armfield, to retire his #27, and announcing Mason Redman would then wear #37 instead… but it really got messy when they realised they didn’t have a #37 jumper immediately ready to use, so they then made the strange proposal that Mason Redmon skip the game, along with teammate Tom McDonald and the Lilacs’ Darcy Parish, but somehow play a mini game on their own in a few weeks with their performances still counting towards this round three game retrospectively. Pandemonium resulted and in the end they were forced to play the game as initially intended; but alas, the stress of the commotion caused the three players to put in only average performances this round. Lovely Banks kept their heads and finished as winners in a close tussle, led by Daniel Butler (124) and Justin Westhoff (114) up forward, who had beautiful supply from their midfielders Mitch Duncan (123) and Isaac Heeney (123).

Wineglass Bay Packers 886 lost to Venus Bay Vultures 1253
    Venus Bay Vultures were playing mind games at team selection, lamenting their injury riddled forward line, and they weren’t wrong in some ways with not one of the forwards firing in this one, all scoring below 50; however they were successful in rattling the Packers who named Conor McKenna in their initial lineup and then withdrew him moments after final teams locked, due to them misunderstanding a COVID-19 test result reported as “positively towards negative”. Unfortunately that left the Packers playing a man short and they suffered their third loss of the season to finish the round on the bottom of the ladder. The rest of the Venus Bay team made up for their dismal performance up forward, with Jaeger O’Meara (142) leading the way off the bench, and they remain undefeated so far this season.

Larrikin Lagoon Lefties 1159 defeated Iron Knob Codpieces 1069
    A huge upset has taken place down at Larrikin Lagoon! Perennial finalist and currently undefeated Iron Knob travelled down to Larrikin Lagoon for their match against the winless Lefties who have finished bottom two on the ladder in each of the last three seasons since they won the premiership in 2016. Larrikin Lagoon started the day by retiring the number of favourite son, #10 Scot Scooter Selwood, and the festivities continued all game as they had all the answers to account for the visitors and bring up a ground breaking win! Best on ground went to Lefties Harry Perryman (149) however special mention should also go to Jy Simpkin (140) who was the X factor up forward.

Nowhere Else Wanderers 1117 lost to Mount Beauty Uglies 1453
    We’re not sure where Nowhere Else is, and it seems that nobody can find any reporting in the news about the game either, much to the chagrin of Mount Beauty #1 ticket holder and leader of their chear squad, Heavymen. The Mount Beauty fans will be thrilled to find out that the Uglies now have back to back wins after easily accounting for the Wanderers in this one. Mount Beauty players Max Gawn (139), Jack Viney (136), Christian Petracca (116) and Christian Salem (94) all continued on their excellent starts to the season!!, but that wasn’t the difference in this match as they were backed up well by Steele Sidebottom (150), Hamish Hartlett (126), Brayden Maynard (125) and Brandon Ellis (111) to help the Uglies to the equal highest team score of the round! The Wanderers couldn’t keep up with only two centurians, Jarryd Lyons (114) and Michael Walters (109).

Whitsunday Warriors 1289 defeated Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles 1223
    Attention, attention, big news here as Waikikamoocow have activated a loophole to allow Jack Ross (26) to take the field for this match [EDIT: please note that this type of loophole is actually allowable under the current ORFFA rules, because Waikikamoocow did not have any other defenders named to play in the AFL, so they are able to name an AFL emergency rather than an OOP]. They named Michael Hibberd, who was hoping his average score would be enough to have him maintain his place in the starting 15, but ORFFA headquarters decided he couldn’t play, and this allowed Waikikamoocow to take advantage of Ross’s performance from Thursday night. Waikikamoocow have also bucked the process of retiring jumpers by just honouring Jarrad McVeigh as a person, still allowing Tom Mitchell to wear the #3. And in further dramas, there have been reports that some of the Warriors ended up at the Bulls Hit Tavern in Waikikamoocow, despite this game being played in the Whitsundays; and we have not been able to make sense of this yet. A very odd chain of events, however none of it took anything away from the game. It was a rip-snorter, with the Warriors managing to hang on for a very tight win, led by Travis Boak (159) who is having another very fine season, and five other centurians.

Charlies Opening Spelunkers 1076 lost to Birdsville Battlers 1208
    The final game of the round was played down in freezing Tasmania with a temperature of -3 degrees at the first bounce. We’re expecting an announcement at some stage that Luke Jackson has requested a trade to Birdsville because he went missing pre-match and it was only the Battlers who knew he wasn’t going to be attending, or perhaps they were responsible for more combative shenanigans which forced his departure. The Spelunkers had to bring Liam Duggan (36) into the side to ruck all day and he was significantly outplayed by the Battlers’ Jarrod Witts (147). Prior to the match, both teams retired player numbers, with a big celebration for the home team’s Bontempelli’s #4 being raised to the rafters, and he played ok with a score of 97. It was revealed later that Mark Seaby had actually been on his way to Charlies Opening for the ceremony before Birdsville decided to change tact and retire Jonathan Brown’s #16 instead. In the end, Birdsville brought up their first win for 2020 with the aforementioned ruck duel playing the biggest part.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  2. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

Nice one. Upsets = good. With the leader miles ahead we need some good tussles further down the ladder.

Wishing we had a MSD. Spuds are piling up and likely to go rotten.

• Like Like x 3
  3. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

Re the MSD
    @TerryinBangkok - I am expecting the MSD to be scheduled around round 9 to 12, so you will definitely be able to replace your current spuds with some new ones as I have been doing each year.

• Like Like x 3
  4. TheTassieHawk

Thanks for the write up @anthak

Best afield in the Nuffers vs Lilacs match was M Rowell, I thought that should be mentioned even though the Lilacs @Jen were far too good and the loss dropped us 6 places to the much more familiar territory of 13th.

• Like Like x 3
  5. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

"Attention, attention, big news here as Waikikamoocow have activated a loophole to allow Jack Ross (26) to take the field for this match. They named Michael Hibberd, who was hoping his average score would be enough to have him maintain his place in the starting 15, but ORFFA headquarters decided he couldn’t play, and this allowed Waikikamoocow to take advantage of Ross’s performance from Thursday night."

Well spotted @anthak . Albeit I do not think I gained any real advantage from the potential loophole. For the record, I pm'd the Commish before lock out to seek guidance on what might occur as a result of my naming Ross as an emegency D. I was aware it might appear to look like loopholing (which I abhor). Bandit accepted my request to let the team stand as submitted. I think that one of the reasons he agreed to this was because I had sought the dispensation before lock out and Ross's position was already locked-in as he had played the previous evening.

• Like Like x 3
  6. anthak

Yeah it's a strange one. When we were discussing the rule change, I was arguing that we should be allowed to do what you did, but the majority didn't agree with me, and our final decision did not allow it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. anthak

How good is Rowell going! Amazing start to his career

• Like Like x 3
  8. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Great write up!

• Like Like x 2
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Thanks for the write up, Ant. :thumbsu:

• Like Like x 2
  10. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the review Ant. Terrific stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  11. snoz

snoz Moderator

Cheers Ant !!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Great stuff mate, for the record the Misfits are now tanking :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  13. anthak

Ive just had a look back at the rule change and I think what @graeme did was allowable under the rules because he didnt have any other defenders named to play, so in that case we are allowed to name an in-position player who is an emergency for their AFL team.

Sorry to make a big deal about it in the writeup, G! but it was a good yarn ;)

• Like Like x 2
  14. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Luv ya work Ant :)
    Was still pissed as a nit last Tuesday trying to find public transport home from NoWhere having made the grave mistake of going to straight scotch (a real Silverback trait right there!)

Anyho tell me please (oh god) please tell me we won three in a row fking Bama for Prime Minister if we did (you heard it here first) :)

• Like Like x 3
  15. TheTassieHawk

The Uglies defeated the Packers mate

• Like Like x 2
  16. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Bless your kind heart for delivering the news TH....life is just that little bit sweeter :)

Bama on the way to see the Governer General Woo Hoo!!

• Like Like x 2
  17. anthak

I have also just added a note into the review to clarify.