2020 Match Day Discussion

Discussion in 'ORFFU' started by eagle_eyed, Mar 19, 2020.

1. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

Hughenden Prairie Dogs 1248 Def Blanchetown Bunyips 854

Not much can be said about the game other than another white wash for the homeside. The 'Yips just don't have enough players to fill a side and some drastic changes are coming!

On the other side the Dogs are travelling nicely with above average scores across the board. A great effort in Defence with Sheppard, Mills and Logue all outscoring their averages.

BOG - Saad 3
    Membrey 2
    Mills 1

ROB continues his Big Tap dominance and gets the biccies again today 88 v 49

(sorry for the shit write ups, hard to get excited about this year)

• Like Like x 3
  2. HOLKY

HOLKY Moderator

Full Time at the Eden Marine Sporting Complex and in a close performance the home side just win against a Blanchetown that was all heart. Final Score was 1026 to 930 with the 3 and 2 in the BAFFU going to Bunyips. Phillips got the 1 and the W against O'Brien though. 3 Lions (in a parallel world) players came in clutch with Cameron, McStay and McCarthy rounding out the top.

But with 3 outs, (I'd normally say missed the bus but in this case, that doesn't seem right) our run of luck continues.

Seems a shame to have a good rivalry come to this but a win's a win as they say. Next week it's back to the Merimbula Airport to get to Serengeti in a midtable clash we will need to improve to win. Meanwhile, the Bunyips play Pakenham @ddsaints who can borrow our ground if Victoria is shut.
    BAFFU:
    Houston 3, Holman 2, Phillips 1
    Giant Tap:
    Phillips 110 def O'Brien 95

• Like Like x 2
  3. ron swanson

ron swanson Well-Known Member

I'm bloody confused, I thought I (Pearcedale) played the Prairie Dogs and won 1338 vs 1322??

• Like Like x 1
  4. choppers

choppers Well-Known Member

Report of the Rd4 game ....the post above from Holky is the Rd5 game between his Whalers and Blanchetown.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  5. martyg

martyg Well-Known Member

Yeah, was a week behind. Better than never ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. eagle_eyed

eagle_eyed Training the house down!

@tyze1 I got it wrong! I had Adelaide Lynch on the park for you. The final margin was 76 points which means if I’d had Mummy either as ruck or ruck emergency I would have won. With injuries starting to mount that stuff up may have cost me a shot at the flag :(

7. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

Gisborne Grenades 1237 defeated by Pakenham Parasites 1238 @ddsaints

In a strange old season such as this one a 1 point margin occurring should be unsurprising, yet it is still painful to put pen to paper. What could've been for the Grenades? What if Ellis-Yolmen hadn't got injured, what if Witts had one more hitout, what if Neale had scored his average? A two point swing and the Parasites would be asking similar questions: What if Gaff has scored his average, or Marshall, or even Hogan finally pulling his finger out?

I'm hesitant to point to a match-defining factor, so will instead go by the numbers. Both teams had 4 100s scored, both teams had 4 scores of less than 50. Johanissen and Cerra both shone in defence for the Parasites, with only Laird pulling his weight for the Grenades. #gisbornegun Lachie Neale was superb as usual, ably coupled with Billings, but no Parasites could content through the midfield. Young Butters went toe to toe with old Lambert, and both came out with huge scores. Marshall comfortably out-tapped Witts, while both interchanges were fairly underwhelming. The contest flipped and flopped throughout all the positional lines, neither side gaining an advantage, and the final margin reflects this.

Questions still exist for both teams. Neither team has shown a propensity for scoring yet this year. The Parasites are interestingly placed mid-table, but a distinct lack of scoring power appears to have them destined for a fall. The Grenades have lost the same amount of matches in 2020 as they lost in 2019. Scoring is definitely down for the team, and a premiership defense appears out of reach given the shortened season. Had we had normal affairs, scraping into finals could've allowed Gisborne to do some damage, but alas, the only finals series the Grenades will see is the 2019 one played on repeat throughout the training facility.

BAFFU
    3. Lambert 158 (GG)
    2. Cerra 134 (PAK)
    1. Neale 130 (GG)

• Like Like x 3
  8. ron swanson

ron swanson Well-Known Member

Pearcedale Panthers 1338 def Hughenden Prairie Dogs 1322

The Panthers entered round 5 still looking for their maiden win for their first year coach. After a terrible bungle with the team sheet the week before saw Nank playing in the twos external pressure was starting to build.

Thankfully the boys responded, with a special mention going to D'Artagnan, aka the third musketeer, aka Phil Davis for playing through the pain of a dodgy hamstring and notching up a hundred in the process. It is this sort of dedication to the team that will be required to turn around poor early season form.

It must be said that the Prairie Dogs didn't really put a foot wrong, in the end it was the inexperienced ruckman Frampton who cost them the win.

3. Shiel (156)
    2. Boak (133)
    1. Davis (127)

• Like Like x 4
  9. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

if it makes you feel better I picked the wrong lynch! ;)

10. wrightbrendan

wrightbrendan Well-Known Member

With both clubs heading in to round 5 at 2-2, this was an important contest that was sure to be hotly contested. That was evidenced from the first bounce with a fight breaking out between Bailey Smith (3) and Matt Rowell (6) that started out over who was the better young star but quickly escalated when the tension turned towards who had a worse head of hair. Both players ended up being dragged by their respective coaches for daring to defend a mullet or a shock of ranga curls. It meant that both teams were left to fight the match out with 14 players, a price both were willing to pay.

Unfortunately for the home town Buffaloes though there was not enough depth of talent to match it with the remaining Armadillos with the Ararat stars perorming at a slightly higher level than their Serengeti counterparts and their bottom end being slight less bad than those making up the numbers for Serengeti. Max Gawn (156) continued a mammoth season, making fun of Ben Keays (50) being forced to make his debut as an oop ruckmen. Andrew Brayshaw (144), Harry Perryman (136) and Jack Higgins (114) showed that the future is bright for Ararat with very impressive performances. The Armadillos will need them to be able to show that kind of form consistently as they battle through further injury problems as well as some players unsure about playing after visiting the Serengeti shores.

It wasn't all bad news for Serengeti with Jordan Ridley (122) continuing his breakout season in defense alongside Nick Coffield (119) who is starting to deliver more consistently on potential. There was also a welcome return to form for Josh Kelly (122) and Dom Sheed (119) but unfortunately too much was left to too few and Ararat walked away with what was in the end a comfortable victory.

Final Scores
    Ararat 1386 def Serengeti 1242

BAFFU votes
    3 Max Gawn 156 (AA)
    2 Andrew Brayshaw 144 (AA)
    1 Harry Perryman 136 (AA)

Big Tap
    Max Gawn 156 def Ben Keays 50

@insider

• Like Like x 5
  11. Batfink

Batfink Well-Known Member

Yep, the PDogs were running rampant until Davis & Shaw performed out of their skins to give the Panthers the win. A real nail biter.

12. insider

insider Administrator Staff Member

Thanks WB, enjoyable read. My first match report for the year! After getting :donut:s for my first two away games I gave up myself.... but you sir, have restored my faith in humanity. I think I will try and find time to go back and complete the couple I didn’t do.
    You’re a good man @wrightbrendan

• Like Like x 3
  13. wrightbrendan

wrightbrendan Well-Known Member

gotta try and find the little moments of joy in the year that is 2020!

• Like Like x 1
  14. JPK

JPK Moderator Staff Member

Last week saw the boys from FARRRRK come to the Goldfields - maybe that was the boys from Far North Queensland, I can never remember, it was such a long time ago.
    The Dainty Daintree boys from picturesque Cow Bay came to take on the might of the Coolgardie Prospectors, and both teams sucked equally in what turned out to be a thriller of epically average proportions. @fresh

The backlines were near mirror images of each other, with one star for each team (104 for J Aish for the locals and 113 for C Wilkie for the visitors), and three comparative duds (J Sicily, J Short, H Clark and S Petrevski-Seton, J Scrimshaw, C O'Riordan respectively). The footy field became a lecture theatre for what-not-to-do for the fans, who were able to turn up due to the excellent COVID management of their state, which can't be said for some other states (mentioning no names *cough* Posh *cough*).
    Anyway, by being slightly less mediocre, the locals won the line 278 to 261.

The superstars of the midfield decided not to turn up to this match, leaving the fans with a bunch of allegedly big-name also-rans, with only one player of the 8 managing to top the ton, that being local boy J O'Meara, on the grand total of 100 points. He was less than ably supported by T Dumont (97), T Miller (81) and O Wines (67), while the returning R Clarke was punished by being left in the magoos on his way to 90 points. For the visitors is was even worse, with A McGrath (91) top scoring, while J Worpel (77), T Liberatore (69) and J Hopper (64) were obviously only paying lip service to this match.
    This lead to another small win by the locals, 345 to 301.

You would have thought that such a tight tussle would have lead to a lot of ball-ups, when what it resulted in was a lots of balls-up, with the ruckmen of both teams being the epitome of this. Local hero S Martin was pipped by 2 lousy points by the visitors J Ceglar, with the two of them combining for just over 100 points, in a 51 to 53 point extravagance. The "oooh's" and "aaah's" heard in the crowd were not exclaments of amazement and wonder, but rather they were sighs of dismay and disgust.

Finally we move onto the forward lines, where something actually happened, and the visitors clawed their way back into the match. There were a total of four tons by the spearheads, with local O McInerney (123) leading his side, and visitors J Bruce (138), J Martin (121), and J Gunston (118) putting on a goal-kicking clinic for the fans and players alike. It was definitely the "J-Team" in crocs gurnseys, with fellow forward J de Goey (85) rounding out the strong performances in the Cow Bay forward 50m arc. For the home side B Parfitt (98) did well, but M Gibbons (78) and C Brown (52) really needed to pull their fingers out. It was later noted that we should have followed the Jays of Cow Bay, and played another J of our own, with Mr Waterman putting his hand up with 81 points in the colts.
    This was an easy win here for Cow Bay, taking out the forward battle 462 to 351.

The interchange bench was where the game was lost by the visitors, choosing the bold strategy of going into the game with only one man on the pine. That man was C Ah Chee, and his terrible 28 points was the pittance that saw the crocs fall short in this one. On the flip side it wasn't a grand showing by any measure, but L Duggan (66) and C Serong (53) dragged their side over the line.

In the end it was Coolgardie taking out the win over Cow Bay, by only 29 points; 1,144 to 1,105.

The votes:
    3 - J Bruce, Cow Bay, 138
    2 - O McInerney, Coolgardie, 123
    1 - J Martin, Cow Bay, 121

Next up (or now, seeing as the Prospectors media manager had been too lazy to post this in a timely manner) sees Coolgardie pack their bags for Flying Fish Cove, to take on the Budgie Smugglers in Christmas Island, while Cow Bay are back at home, grabbing some Mortein on the way, as they welcome the Blowflys from COVID-central Korumburra. Good luck to all teams.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Tomster

Tomster Well-Known Member

The man who is attempting to carry not just an AFL team, but also an ORFFU team, is the only player to have played in the Grenades vs Vikings matchup. @bryzza

Neale 134/1 vs Vikes 0/0/0

• Like Like x 1
  16. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

Visitors with the early lead at Flying Fish Cove Park:

CIS - 88/1 (Birchall)
    CP - 156/3 (52) (Parfitt, McInerney, Martin)

@JPK

• Like Like x 1
  17. Batfink

Batfink Well-Known Member

Thanks for the write up, I know it sucks when you’re struggling to put a team together and there are donuts everywhere, :(

18. tyze1

tyze1 Well-Known Member

Early Days at Mill Park and its a lively start @Batfink

SFB 273/91/3
    HPD 264/88/3

• Like Like x 1
  19. YAD69

YAD69 Moderator Staff Member

The Monarchs @Tylo have started slow on 129/2 64.5 to the Barracudas on 674/7 96.3

20. DamoH

DamoH Well-Known Member

7/30th time and the Prospectors have increased their lead:

CIS: 202/2 (101)
    CP: 354/5 (70.8)

• Like Like x 1