ORFFA Bye Rounds

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by TerryinBangkok, Aug 20, 2020.

1. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

R14 Adelaide, Brisbane
    R15 Geelong, GCS, North, Port, Saints, Dogs
    R16 Collingwood, Richmond

I saw what happened to the Misfits when GWS had their bye. Devastating. What is the policy or views of what we do in R15? Clearly SC, RDT and AFL have made adjustments to accommodate this - my personal view that AFL Fantasy counting previous scores is both unique and the best system. No one had time to develop a strategy for bye rounds this year, so do we just blunder through and hope for the best or do we develop a formula for a more even playing field?

2. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

It's pretty hard to be objective. The cows lost our round 10 fixture (byes for carlton, hawks, freo and west coast) which we might well have won under an "averaging" system. The round 3 debacle also hit us. Round 15 hits us, like most if not all clubs, pretty hard. I think I may favour a play through approach.

IMO, if we were to invoke a new system for round 15, we would need to apply it to all the bye rounds.

Other peoples opinions?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

Round 15 will hit me hard
    2 geelong
    2 doggies
    3 staints
    3 port
    1 suns
    But as Graeme said, in all fairness I think we will need to just play through.

• Like Like x 2
  4. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

I think we just play through it and accept the donuts.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Agreed as I said earlier on 'Somedays you are the dog, somedays you are the fire hydrant'

There was never going to be a perfect system, and a few of us have munched donuts already, no point changing it now.

Graeme, I believe round 3 will be amended when Mel & Ess play their catchup game..... although I stand to be corrected.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Misfits had more than 1/2 their best 22 out when swans and giants had the bye, is what it is..
    Pretty sure we are sucking up the ess/mel game as it is considered their bye, no need to change anything?

• Like Like x 4
  7. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Precedent has been set with the other bye rounds, play through it IMO

• Like Like x 3
  8. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Difference was that the game was cancelled after we’d already picked our teams and lockout had started.
    In that scenario, Walesy attributed the players average at that time as their score for that round, but only players who were named to play for Ess & Mel, ie not emergencies.
    I don’t recall any decision they were going to be changed later.

I think those results stand.

• Like Like x 2
  9. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

I agree with the comments above and think we just have to play through the upcoming byes in the same manner that we have played through the previous byes and pick the best team we can with the players that are available.

As @anthak mentioned above Round 3 is a bit different as ORFFA coaches didn't know at the start of the round that their Essendon and Melbourne players weren't going to be playing that round.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TerryinBangkok

Clearly the mood is to play through regardless. Democracy is sometimes good.

My only slight concern was going back to tors of why we play this game. For enjoyment. I find I simply lose all interest in a round when I am caught like @Jen, or Len and his Giants. These were events that none of us could plan for. All forms of fantasy made adjustments to ease the pain while we simply suck it up. It is what it is, but it is not enjoyable.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

12. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

There will be 264 AFL players playing in Round 15. Therefore by definition in an 18 club * 15 players keeper league teams will be copping donuts.

While in a 4 bye team week the number of players is 308 (approx 17 per side) and in a 2 team bye week it is 352 (approx 19.5 per side). Hence in a 12, 14 or 16 club comp we could consider the option of short term Free Agent acquisitions across the byes but for an 18 club comp it makes minimal difference.

In theory the ORFFA could play as normal through 2 team bye weeks, 13 a side through 4 team bye weeks and take 6 team bye weeks off.

However given all clubs will have some bye weeks with minimal impact while others they get slammed there is not much that be done fairness wise other than take ALL bye weeks off (as we usually do) or just grin and bear it for the sake of completing 17 rounds (as we are doing this year).

• Like Like x 2
  13. TerryinBangkok

:D Marvelous. Two evenly denuded teams. My interest is rekindled.

• Like Like x 1