Round 3 - now a bye

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Bandit, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Hi everyone,

There has been a bit of debate on the board about what do we do with Round 3 now that it is a bye. For consistency, now that Round 3 is a bye, and the Melbourne v Essendon game will not go ahead I think it would be prudent to consider applying a bye type scenarion across that round retrospectively. I have been kicking around a few scenarios with @Len, @JC, @graeme and @TerryinBangkok because of reasons that will become apparent further in this post.

Here are the current scores with averages applied by Walesy, and the revised scores in brackets if we give zeroes for bye players, and applied emergencies where they were nominated.

Foul Bay Chickens 1230 (1188) defeated Cradle Mountain Devils 1008 (1043) - no change
    Wagga Wagga Wombats 1251 (970) lost to Gundagai Grasshoppers 1453 (1369) - no change
    Marble Bar Misfits 1183 (1078) lost to Gariwerd Cockatoos 1331 (1139) - no change
    Lovely Banks Lilacs 1112 defeated Nareewillock Nuffers 1032 (1031) - no change
    Wineglass Bay Packers 886 (886) lost to Venus Bay Vultures 1253 (1253) - no change
    Larrikin Lagoon Lefties 1159 (1082) defeated Iron Knob Codpieces 1069 (1069) - no change
    Nowhere Else Wanderers 1117 (1103) lost to Mount Beauty Uglies 1453 (1141) - no change
    Whitsunday Warriors 1289 (1220) defeated Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles 1223 (1223) - result reversed, Cows win
    Charlies Opening Spelunkers 1076 (936) lost to Birdsville Battlers 1208 (1132) - no change

So when I went back to round 3 and applied emergency scores where appropriate (based on team selections) it became apparent that the only game where the outcome was changed was the Pinot Cup game between Whitsunday and Waikickamoocow.

Now that I have brought the elephant out of the corner, I spoke with both coaches to get an idea of the appetite from the both of them to the idea that we apply bye 'rules' to this round. Whilst the biggest loss maybe the bragging rights for Terry, this also has implications for draft picks.

After some deliberation, and agreement from both coaches, I have made the decision that we will indeed apply bye rules to this round so it is consistent with the rest of the year.

This means Terry needs to send the trophy back to Aotearoa, and the Spelunkers will fund the freight responsible for that.

This also means that we will need to make a amendments to the ladder and win/loss for the new scores reflected above. This will be done manually at the end of the season. Once the rounds are rolled over I will publish the final ladder.

Trust this gives everyone some closure, and can I please extend a thankyou for Terry and Graeme for being so understanding in this regard.

• Like Like x 5
  2. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Good to see there was consultation with those affected, but personally, I don’t think the result should’ve been changed. The Ess v Mel game was called off during the round, after we’d already picked our ORRFA teams, so I think it was fair that it was treated differently to the other bye rounds.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

A tough one to figure out what is fair and reasonable in the circumstances. I have no issue with either the original results or adjusting/overturning them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Reised ladder here folks.... including adjustments to 'For' totals . After all of that no change in final ladder positions LOL ORFFA.png

• Like Like x 4
  5. That KI Guy

That KI Guy Moderator Staff Member

Big Grats to @snoz and the Hoppers on their first premiership

And props to us in taking/tanking out our second spoon (you're welcome @jimbowan)

• Like Like x 4