Round 4 ORFFA review

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by JC, Apr 14, 2021.

By JC on Apr 14, 2021 at 8:31 AM
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Round 4 in the ORFFA saw a couple of close contests, including a tight tussle for the Mark Seaby Memorial Trophy. Some words below that may or may not tell you how your team went this week….

Nowhere Else Wanderers 996 def by Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles 1304

The Cows curb stomped the undermanned Wanderers in a very one-sided affair. I shudder to think what the margin would have been if Nat had brought his kicking boots – 0.6 is potential coach killer material! I’m sure Graeme was relieved that Brad Crouch remembered what he’s supposed to do when he sees a white line. One short and one of many with half a ruck, it was a difficult weekend for the Wanderers. A ton from new recruit Powell was encouraging, though.

Wagga Wagga Wombats 1333 def Cradle Mountain Devils 1277

Lenny’s boys stay undefeated in a high-quality contest against the Devils. The Wombats got an even effort across the board to back up a strong midfield performance. The Devils didn’t do a lot wrong and had plenty of contributors, but the coach would be hoping for a bit more from the forwards.

Foul Bay Chickens 1170 def Birdsville Battlers 1161

Well, Chief, spitting in my face with your two playing rucks was uncalled for but, let’s be honest, I’d have done the same if I could. This one was closer than it usually is between these teams, but the status quo remains, and the Battlers are still shitter than the Chooks. Granted, half a ruck and a 3 for Luke McDonald sting in a 9-point loss – but as my 9-year-old self used to say, look at the scoreboard loser.

Charlies Opening Spelunkers 1267 def Mount Beauty Uglies 1238

Won’t lie, read this one a few times before I convinced myself it was right. A good team effort from the cave dwellers, including six tons, may have pleased the coach - but it’s hard to know with the tankers, isn’t it? Tough loss for the Uglies who slump to 1-3. Just not enough support for Petracca and Gawn this week. A bit concerned I may incite the wrath of @HeavyMen by putting this into print, but fingers crossed he’s too pissed to notice.

Whitsunday Warriors 1014 def by Venus Bay Vultures 1258

The Vultures quietly going about their business this season as they remain undefeated following a comfortable win over the Warriors. Might be a couple of nervous players come selection night with players failing to make it to 40. A bit of a bumpy start to the season for the Warriors. My old mate Terry might be in for a long year if the scoring doesn’t pick up soon. Fingers crossed the wine club is generous with the offerings this year, if that’s the case.

Iron Knob Codpieces 1151 def Larrikin Lagoon Lefties 974

No surprises here as the Cods eased past the building, and short-handed, Lefties. Greenwood and Macrae had a field day in the middle, while King showed plenty up forward. For the Lefties, the shoots to grow with Anderson and Schoenberg showing plenty.

Marble Bar Misfits 1317 def Lovely Banks Lilacs 1133

Misfits go the top of the table with a comfortable win over the Lilacs. Caleb Daniel’s output matched his size, but Scholl more than picked up the slack there. Len was in the same category as ChiefRussell, playing two rucks when Jen and the Lilacs can’t find a healthy one. A solid effort from Lilacs but Heeney’s broken hand was disappointing news for the coach.

Wineglass Bay Packers 1029 def by Gariwerd Cockatoos 1271

The Packers were unfortunate to run in to a red-hot Cockies outfit this week. Ant’s lot started one down and only had half of Birchall in the ruck before Shagger Hurn put the feet up early with a lofty score of 6. But none of that mattered as 9 Cockies knocked up tons on their way to a comfortable win. Tough day for the Packers but some promising signs from youngsters Ash and Taylor.

Gundagai Grasshoppers 1304 def Nareewillock Nuffers 828

Was always going to be a difficult task for the Nuffers against the defending champs and starting 2.5 short didn’t make it any easier. The Hoppers stayed undefeated with a big win yet still lost top spot to the Misfits. Plenty of good performers for the Hoppers but the SC secret herbs and spices were in full effect as Cripps' score jumped 30 points post-game. Brown paper bag, snoz?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 8

Comments

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by JC, Apr 14, 2021.

1. That KI Guy
      That KI Guy
      Quality stuff @JC
      Hoping to see a few kids back this week and show some fight.
      • Like Like x 1
    2. TheTassieHawk
      TheTassieHawk
      thanks for the write up @JC

hoppers @snoz deservedly bank the 4 points and the Nuffers appreciate life on the right side of 800 while it lasts

duursmas injury adds further injury to insult or vice versa, by now I am not to sure, if it was ever in doubt (bar injury) Jason Horne can start to inspect Nareewillock realestate in advance of his drafting next February with 2022 pick number 1

with Philp and Coleman Jones playing VFL and Dumont nearing a return from injury there is some chance of maintaining more players than donuts going forward which is pretty much the sole goal for the remainder of April
      • Like Like x 5
    3. Bandit
      Bandit
      Great write up @JC
      • Like Like x 1
    4. snoz
      snoz
      Cheers JC, great write up and an entertaining read !!
      • Like Like x 1
    5. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      You are spot on @JC. The Whitsunday Worriers are in for a tough year, much of it due to LTI. Nothing can be done about it.

But with write-ups like that, who cares?

I might just retire to the Tiki Bar with a Primativo firmly in hand and watch the big 4 fight it out at the top. Plaudits to the Wombat - hope he sticks at it.
      • Like Like x 4
    6. anthak
      anthak
      Thanks JC, great read!

In previous years, the cockies have had a lot of depth, but not much of the top premiums, but as our list has aged ungracefully, we've ended up this season having not much depth at all. We're even struggling to put a full team on the park each week. Thankfully this week those who did play, played well.
      • Like Like x 3
    7. graeme
      graeme
      Thanks for the fine words @JC . Just like all teams the cows have been beset by injuries (and suspensions for some). But hanging in is what our comp is all about. Perhaps we might have some form by the pointy end of the season. If not, we might just gatecrash the gathering at the Tiki Bar.
      • Like Like x 3
    8. Len
      Len
      Great stuff @JC
      Misfits just enjoying life whilst awaiting our inevitable injury crash!

Good to see the rebuilds that coaches started a while back are bearing fruit, albeit very green in some cases!
      • Like Like x 2
    9. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Would that be very Greene and not so Green? Tipped 'em this week. Lookout!
      • Like Like x 2
    10. graeme
      graeme
      • Like Like x 2
    11. HeavyMen
      HeavyMen
      FFS 1,238 & still a loss!
      Nice write up though JC, looks like my ban request hath fallen on deaf ears so if they must be printed we
      may as well have quality journalism.
      Site Mods deliver crushing blow to HeavyMen :-(
      • Like Like x 3
    12. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      Could not view the image, but no Chelsea still holds that honour.
      • Like Like x 1
    13. TerryinBangkok
      TerryinBangkok
      • Like Like x 4