ORFFA Round 7 - Teams & Banter

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Jen, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

Round 7 – AFL Round 7 Date – Friday 30th April 2021

THEME – Late Withdrawal/Doughnut/Medical Sub Round
    Late withdrawals are the bane of a fantasy coach's existence. Not only do they rob fantasy squads of necessary talent (or, at the very minimum, a warm body), but they can also be a precursor to a far more serious fantasy football illness - the dreaded illness doughnutus vanitati - more commonly known as doughnut frustration.

This year has thrown a further spanner in the works with the return of the sub - and not the tasty filled sandwich kind, more the annoying 'is he going to play, is he the sub, is someone going to get injured so this guy gets a kick' kind.

Doughnuts and subs might sound delicious, but we all know that the sprinkles and herbs are in fact a lie.

Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles v Charlies Opening Spelunkers
    Foul Bay Chickens
    v Whitsunday Warriors
    Wagga Wagga Wombats
    v Iron Knob Codpieces
    Nowhere Else Wanderers
    v Marble Bar Misfits
    Cradle Mountain Devils
    v Wineglass Bay Packers
    Birdsville Battlers
    v Gundagai Grasshoppers
    Mount Beauty Uglies
    v Nareewillock Nuffers
    Venus Bay Vultures
    v Gariwerd Cockatoos
    Larrikin Lagoon Lefties
    v Lovely Banks Lilacs

• Like Like x 6
  2. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

I think I was hungry when I wrote this blurb. And if not, I am hungry now.

• Like Like x 6
  3. TerryinBangkok

TerryinBangkok Moderator Staff Member

With the decision to announce teams the night before, late withdrawals are becoming harder to find.

But you can be sure. If there are any I will find them.

• Like Like x 3
  4. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

@bama good luck this week, my laptop is in for repairs so I am unlikely to post a team or screenshot prior to or during the clash.

All you need to know is that The Nuffers are trying to avoid our 13th consecutive loss and we are not expecting any reinforcements this week.

Good luck all.

5. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Spelunkers team

upload_2021-4-30_12-30-26.png

6. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Can only assume that Banditto is unable to tank this week against an under strength cows side, which will probably be:

D - Nik Cox, Michael Hibberd, Harry Morrison, Ryan Burton
    M - Nat Fyfe, Tom Mitchell, Brandan Parfitt, Brad Crouch (Jack Ross)
    R - Reilly O'Brien
    F - Jeremy Finlayson, Tom Papley, Zac Bailey, Orazio Fantasia (Josh Treacy)
    I/C - Sam Menegola, Mitch Robinson

Best of luck amigo

• Like Like x 1
  7. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Cradle Mountain Devils Round 7 team

Out: T English (concussion), M O’Connor (hamstring)
    In: L Breust, H Cunningham

Def: D Rich, J Lever, L Brown, H Cunningham (S McAdam OOP)
    Mid: J Steele, S Pendlebury, J Hopper, J Redden (Z Jones)
    Ruc: T Nankervis
    Fwd: D Zorko, R Marshall, A Naughton, T Membrey (F Macrae)
    Int: D Heppell, L Breust (J Mahony)

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Preliminary Battlers Line Up - Round 7

DEF: Ryan, Doedee, Chapman, Witherden (Himmelberg*)
    MID: Hunter, Sheed, Treloar, Rowbottom (Berry)
    RUCK: Battle*
    FWD: Taberner, McKay, Hipwood, Robertson (Miers)
    INT: Smith, Acres (Moore)

9. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Late change for the Spelunkers with Trent rivers going to defence to replace the dumped petrevski-seton, and young debutant Nick Bryan into the team on the bench

10. TheTassieHawk

TheTassieHawk SC fanatic Staff Member

As mooted previously and pretty much 3 years to the day from the above my longer than expected tenure as Head Nuffer #2 (which has seen a turnover of the list and 8 wins from 50 games over 2 half and 2 full seasons up to the end of ORFFA Round 6) is formally relinquished as at the end of Round 11 this season (or earlier as needed).

I won’t clog up this thread with discussion of competitive balance in the ORFFA but will be bumping a couple of old threads which I believe may be useful for discussion amongst those charged with arranging the transition to new ownership and others.

The ORFFA ride has been a welcome distraction from the crazy real world over the last 3 seasons and has been enjoyable from the perspective of a participant able to focus on the friendly banter, activity and engagement shared by the vast majority of the coaches - which is fairly remarkable as the comp approaches the midway point of season #10 - without any of the admin burden shared by others.

11. dmandrews

On paper the ORFFA Round 7 all Tassie encounter between the Cradle Mountain Devils and @Tracey’s Wineglass Bay Packers looked to be a one-sided contest with the Devils overwhelming favourites as they attempt to make the finals for the fifth season in a row, however the visiting Packers were having none of it, playing inspired entertaining football to lead at three quarter-time and set up a thrilling final quarter.

At three quarter-time the Wineglass Bay Packers at 926/11 are well placed to set their new highest round score for 2021 and surpass the 1,134 they registered in a Round 5 victory against the Lefties.

Five Packers have registered tons that almost resemble a taxi-rank with how close they are to one another with 2020 MSD first pick Josh Daicos leading the way with 105, followed by Sam Taylor and Shane Mumford double parked at 104, a vacant space and then Tom Lynch (102) and Sam Collins (101).

Cradle Mountain entered the game in sixth position on the ladder with a record of four wins and two losses and had their best performance of the season last round, scoring 1,453 in the victory against Iron Knob. The Devils are 912/12 and trail the Packers by 14 points despite having one more player take the field. 2016 1st Round PSD selection Jacob Hopper is the only Devil to score a ton, having the equal second highest score of the game with 104 points, all three players that have scored 104 points in this ORFFA game are AFL teammates with the GWS Giants.

Three quarters of the 12 CMD players that have taken the field have score 70+ including three low 90’s to support Hopper. There is a sense of de ja vu with the AFL game played in Tassie last weekend as on-lookers were wondering why the emergency activated by the home side as a late inclusion wasn’t named Jones (in this case Zak rather than Chayce) as CMD forward Shane McAdam playing as an OOP defender only scored 13 whilst midfielder Zak Jones ran amok in the seconds.

Progress score

Cradle Mountain 912/12 average of 76

Wineglass Bay Packers 926/11 average of 84.2

To play today

Devils – J Lever, D Heppell and J Redden

Packers – J Stephenson, W Phillips, A McGrath and an OOP N Wilson

With a quarter to play the Round 7 Devils vs Packers game is pretty much a 50/50 game.

Regardless of this game’s final result the Packers are a young team on the rise with a significant part of their team being players recruited at drafts from 2017 onwards whilst rebuilding. Players in this category include PSD picks A McGrath (2017), J Stephenson (2018), J Lukosious and S Collins (both 2019), L Ash (2020) and W Phillips (2021) as well as top 5 MSD picks L Baker (2019) and J Daicos (2020).

• Like Like x 3
  12. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

I am sure for all your expertise in the dark art of tanking Banditto, you cannot get out of this fixture with a L.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Len

Len Cockburn Knightrider Staff Member

Misfits for the Bro Cup @dave

DEFENDERS
    Jake Lloyd, Lachlan Sholl, Zachary Williams (Out) Caleb Daniel -
    MIDFIELDERS
    David Mundy, Tim Taranto, Josh Kelly, Callan Ward - Xavier O'Halloran
    RUCKS
    Nic Naitanui
    FORWARDS
    Will Hayward, Tom McCartin, Jayden Laverde, James Rowe -
    INTERCHANGE
    Tom HICKEY, Lachie Whitfield - Lachlan Weller

Misfits failing to field a full side purely due to the rolling naming of AFL teams, otherwise Whitfield would have gone to def to replace Williams and Weller is the IC player.

No doubt it's caught others, but shits me nonetheless

• Like Like x 3
  14. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Agreed @Len . Shits me to tears. I know it's been a while, and plenty don't share this view, but I'd happily go back to locking things in for SC on Friday nights.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  15. dmandrews

Congratulations on the victory @Tracey.

I have got the unofficial score as Wineglass Bay Packers 1193 defeating Cradle Mountain Devils 1162.

The All-Tassie duel ended up being 14.5 players vs 14.5 players with each club fielding one OOP. Six players in the game scored tons comprised of five for Wineglass Bay and one for Cradle Mountain with Packer Josh Daicos scoring a game-high 105. Wineglass Bay's better players having a slightly higher output than their Cradle Mountain counterparts proved critical to the final outcome.

• Like Like x 4
  16. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Review posted for those who are interested.

• Like Like x 1