Best Buys: Mr Reliable(s)

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jul 29, 2015.

By Iain on Jul 29, 2015 at 10:00 AM
  1. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

Last week was an especially tough one for many in SuperCoach, the Best Buys curse took a week off and then hit twice as hard with Gaz out for the rest of the year and Rockliff only managing a score of 50. Add to that the withdrawals of players such as Franklin and Beams and the scoring of guys like Hannebery, Armitage and Neale and you start to get the picture.

Hopefully this week will see some easier going for most, and that starts with the Best Buy. This week there are two of them, as they were so close in a variety of areas that I really couldn't pick one over the other. They are both reasonably priced, both scoring well enough to be in the leading bracket of players for their position and both in a relatively small number of teams. The players I'm talking about are Matt Priddis and David Mundy. Either one at this stage looks to be a good replacement for Ablett, and could well make a difference for your side come finals.

DEFENSE
    ROOKIES

Hugh Goddard (StK) D/F 122.3k 60 +47k
    Goddard is a familiar name at St Kilda, and a fair few fans have been waiting to see what impact he can have at the highest level. A score of 49 against the Demons has brought him to the bubble with an average of 60, bringing with it a likely price rise of around 47 grand after his next game. If he can remain in the side he looks like a great option, and his D/F eligibility will be a boon for many.

Alex Browne (ESS) DEF 123.9k 54 +38k

Browne looked the goods on the weekend, racking up 84 points in just his second match at AFL level. Now on the bubble with a price rise of 38 grand on the way his average is sitting at 54 and with a low price he looks like a good candidate for a backline downgrade.

MID-PRICERS

Rory Laird (ADE) DEF 493.8k 96 5.6%
    Laird has been good in his break-out year, pumping out 124 points on the weekend to bring his average for the season back to 96. While he has been inconsistent and suffered through some low scores, generally speaking his high scores have been worthwhile. Priced where he should be on numbers he has good POD value, with only 5.6% selecting him, and he is an excellent candidate for bench cover/loopholes.

PREMIUMS

Dylan Roberton (StK) DEF 528.9k 95 3.4%

Roberton has been flying under the radar this season, he did start the year a bit slowly but has certainly picked up the pace now. His score of 144 on the weekend has bumped his average up to 95, but more importantly he is now averaging 115 over his last 6 games. With only 3.4% of the competition selecting him he has great POD value, and should be considered by those looking for a risky difference-maker.

Alex Rance (RIC) DEF 518.2k 96 16.8%
    Rance has also been playing well recently, averaging 96 for the season to date but 113 over the last 5 games. A score of around 520 grand is high for his season's average, but good value if going by the 5 game numbers. Now sitting in about 17% of teams he isn't a huge POD, but still certainly has some value. Of note is that Rance is expected to drop in value by 15 grand after his next game, so if you can hold off on him for another week it might be worthwhile.

REGULARS

Luke Hodge (HAW) D/M 602.1k 113 34.5%

Heath Shaw (GWS) DEF 585.7k 109 32.1%

MIDFIELD
    ROOKIES

Jonathan O'Rourke (HAW) MID 206.3k 61 +26k

O'Rourke has taken a while to settle in at Hawthorn, but those that watched him at junior levels have been adamant that it was only a matter of time. As a not-quite-rookie his price is high at 200k+, but his numbers in the games that he has played have been promising. A score of 77 on the weekend brought his average to 61 over the 2 games, and he is facing a 26 grand price rise after his next match. Job security will remain an issue for him, but if he stays in the side he could well be handy bench cover.

Rory Atkins (ADE) MID 123.9k 21 -5k

Atkins is also on the bubble this week, but after his score of 16 he is doing it with an average of 21. His numbers suggest a loss of 5 grand would be on the cards after his game, which is a pretty clear indicator that on current form he won't be scoring that well anytime soon.

Bradley Walsh (CAR) MID 102.4k 12 -11k

Walsh is similar to Atkins, but in a worse position. A score of 16 has now given him an average of 12 from his 2 games to date, and even though he is priced 20 grand cheaper than Atkins his stats indicate a price drop of 11 grand after his next match.

MID-PRICERS

Scott Thompson (ADE) MID 522.1k 109 4.1%

Thompson has been doing a great job so far of turning back the clock, racking up great numbers for a player of any age. A score of 115 against the Suns has given him a season's average of 109, and will likely bring with it a price rise in the vicinity of 27 grand after his next game. He is cheap for his numbers, a big POD in only 4% of sides and always has the potential to pump out a big score. A classic example of a POD.

Steele Sidebottom (COL) MID 532.9k 104 3.3%
    Sidey has stepped up this season, averaging 104 over the year to take his game up a notch and make him fantasy relevant. A price of over 530 grand is a little steep for his numbers, but not too much so, and his POD credentials with 3.3% of teams selecting him are quite strong. A 117 on the weekend shows he is capable of scoring well, he just needs to keep hitting 110+ to be a solid pick.

PREMIUMS

Patrick Dangerfield (ADE) MID 654.8k 121 28.1%

Dangerfield has been in great form recently, he did have some quiet games earlier in the season but they seem to be behind him for now. Sloane's return is still a bit of an unknown in regard to its effects on Danger, but a 141 in his first game back (this time around) is a positive sign that it shouldn't be too bad. Danger is priced highly for his average of 121, but he is now the 3rd highest averaging player in the comp.

Matt Priddis (WCE) MID 592.9k 115 11.2%

Priddis has done what Priddis does this season, consistently perform well and occasionally perform excellently. A price of around 590 grand is around the mark although slightly overs for his average, but said average of 115 is good enough for it not to matter. A selection rate of 11.2% shows that he is gaining popularity as more unreliable players drop off, and his score of 135 on the weekend won't diminish his appeal.

David Mundy (FRE) MID 569k 115 11.3%
    Mundy is similar to Priddis this season, consistently performing and posting up some good numbers. A score of 122 against the Tigers has brought his average up to 115 for the year, and his price is sitting at a healthy 570 grand. Also in a similar number of teams to Priddis, with a selection rate of 11.3%, he has very similar value and the run home to finals could be the main point separating these two Best Buys for many.

REGULARS

Nathan Fyfe (FRE) MID 562.5k 125 65%

RUCK
    PREMIUMS

Max Gawn (MEL) R/F 530.7k 113 10.9%

Gawn continues to play well, keeping Jamar out of the number one ruck role at Melbourne and posting up good SC numbers. Now averaging 113 with a price of 530 grand he is good value, and as always his R/F positioning could come in handy for a few. I have been listing Gawn in the RUCK section so far, but something else to keep in mind that his current average is the single highest out of all forwards this season too.

Sam Jacobs (ADE) RUC 544.9k 105 13.3%
    Sauce had another good game on the weekend, scoring 132 points to take his average back to 105 for the season. Now priced at around 545 grand he is on the high side for his numbers, but his form has been very inconsistent this season and bears further scrutiny. He has had 6 scores of 81 or under, and in each of his other (9) games he has scored 110 or higher. This is concerning for those that want stability, but for the coaches after a risk he looks an interesting option. Currently sitting in around 13% of teams, and expecting a price rise of around 30 grand after the next game.

REGULARS

Todd Goldstein (NM) RUC 743.7k 127 39.7%

FORWARD
    ROOKIES

Blaine Johnson (CAR) FWD 176.3k 32 -4k
    Johnson struggled to score in the demolition of the Blues on Friday night, managing just 12 points to drop his average from 2 games to 32. With a high asking price of over 175 grand this means his stats indicate a 4 grand price drop after his next game, and doesn't bode well for his scoring potential over the remainder of the year. Still worth considering as a downgrade but don't expect too much from the youngster.

MID-PRICERS

Brendon Goddard (ESS) M/F 468k 97 20.1%
    BJ has been mentioned often in the comments section this season, and while he is a quality player he has been inconsistent and dropped significantly in value over the year. Now priced at under 470 grand he looks good value, with an average of 97 on the back of his 117 last weekend, and is currently in 20% of teams. While he hasn't been at his best, or quite matching it with the leading forwards, he is still putting up some good numbers and is a great choice for a M/F swingman for cover.

PREMIUMS

Brett Deledio (RIC) M/F 596.3k 110 11%

Lids keeps performing well, although his 98 against Fremantle wasn't quite what his owners were hoping for. Still, if a 98 is disappointing then it's a pretty clear sign you're onto something good. Not including his first 2 games (the injury match and subsequent return), Deledio has averaged 120 from 10 games this year and looks to be in excellent shape. As long as his Achilles can stay strong he looks every chance to finish the season in the group of leading forwards.

Harley Bennell (GCS) M/F 522.2k 103 4%

Bennell made a triumphant return from his club-imposed suspension on the weekend, pumping out 140 points to show that he still has the drive to make it at AFL level. In what has been a tumultuous season for the young Sun his off-field issues and suspension have caused his selection numbers to drop to just 4%, although they were never that high to begin with. If he can keep it together for the last few rounds of the season he could make a great bench cover option, but the loss of Ablett (again) could also cause him some issues.

Jarryd Roughead (HAW) FWD 519.4k 100 12.8%

Roughy has been solid this season, averaging 100 points after a clear effort by the Hawks to not be too focussed on him in the forward line. This has in part been due to his work through the midfield, where he has spent far more time than in season's past, as well as the ruck on occasion. A price of around 520 grand is a bit high for his stats, but again not too much, and his selection rate of just under 13% makes him a bit of a POD. A decent pick, and with the Hawks form heading towards finals one worth considering.

Chad Wingard (PTA) FWD 525.3k 99 7.5%
    Wingard keeps performing well, without really firing enough to bring him to the attention of the SC masses. A score of 105 on the weekend typifies this, bringing his season's average to 99 to date and placing him at the head of the group of players that haven't quite reached the top in their position. This has meant that his selection numbers are still quite low, around 7.5%, and he still has the potential to go 20 points better in any given game. Another somewhat risky choice, but one that has the form and history to make it an educated gamble.

REGULARS

Dane Swan (COL) M/F 515.3k 102 58.2%

Dustin Martin (RIC) M/F 491.6k 104 47.2%

WAITING LIST

Daniel Hannebery (SYD) MID 595.9k 115 -35k

Tom Rockliff (BRI) MID 505k 81 -31k

Leigh Montagna (StK) MID 543.8k 110 -26k

Tom Mitchell (SYD) M/F 454.2k 96 -25k

Kieren Jack (SYD) MID 519.4k 100 -23k

Kade Kolodjashnij (GCS) DEF 494.6k 87 -23k

Once again that's all for the Best Buys, and as always join us in the comments section for trade discussions and polls.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Owen
      Owen
      Thanks for the best byes BB. I think Jordan Lewis could be on the waiting list as well after his big score on the weekend. However would Hawthorn rest players when they play Brissy in the second last week of the season?

The most important decision this week of my SC season:

TU - Ablett to Priddis and McKernan to Goddard, no backup ruck and relying on Nicnat and Jacobs
      TD - Ablett to Lews/Sidebottom and McKernan to Gawn, allows Gawn to backup ruck if required.

Both options allow the BONT to be swing backup
    2. Hornet
      Hornet
      Thanks for the write up BB.. I'm bringing in two mid guns this week for GAJ and Krak with pretty much enough cash for any two guns I want so had already been thinking of which mids are best value / best options. I was thinking Mundy, Priddis, Selwood, Bennell and Lewis so this week we're thinking alike.
      I think Mundy is slightly better value than Priddis but as a midfielder under Ross Lyon the dreaded rest is always a possibility - particularly around League GF time.
      Thinking Selwood is #1 option for me with Cats striving for finals - he won't get rested - was awesome last week - and is $150K less than his soon-to-be-teammate Danger..
    3. jp
      jp
      TU only if you have lots of trades, otherwise munching ruck donuts at some point
    4. bigbadbunks
      bigbadbunks
      Not a great deal of love for Hannebery despite him averaging 115. I am in a position where I have a top 2 spot sewn up so I will be waiting for Hannebery to drop $35k and then get him for the finals. His 60 was his lowest score for the year but when he goes big he goes really big. I have a feeling Mundy could be rested before finals and Dangerfield will be affected by Sloane in the team in the weeks to come (avg 110.7 with Sloane and 126 without)
    5. Owen
      Owen
      Thanks for the comment jp, a lot of trades is something I don't have. These two trades would complete my team leaving Brodie Smith as D7 and the BONT as M9/F7.

It would leave 3 trades for injuries during four weeks of finals. Or I could do:

TU: Ablett to Danger and then look to bring in Gawn if, and when I need.
    6. Owen
      Owen
      Top 2 sewn up is a very nice spot to be, I'm in danger of missing top four if I lose this week.

I would look at Hanners if not for the fact I already have Parker, JPK and Tom Mitchell.
    7. DannyG
      DannyG
      Hi All, I need your thoughts on Sloane & Bartel as replacement for Gaz?
    8. Hornet
      Hornet
      No issues with those two - assume you know Jimmy B is a fwd only ?
      However - I'd look at Lewis or Selwood at $491k and $498k.
    9. WTC
      WTC
      i was thinking something along those lines, DannyG... thinking of trading Ablett & Steele to a couple bargain players like Harvey & Sidey or Bartel & Sloane.. gives me the option of loopholing Wallis & Titch (?vest concerns) on the mid bench.. hmmm.. food for thought.. i'd only have 2 trades left afterwards which would be purely for injuries across the 4 final rounds.
    10. tmq
      tmq
      Any thoughts on what teams/players have the easiest draws through the SC finals?
      And players in danger of being rested? Hodge is a likely suspect I think.... Not sure about Mundy.
    11. RPritch
      RPritch
      Last week and a half has killed me! (and killed is no exaggeration).
      GAJ - Season
      Beams - Maybe Season?
      Fyfe - This week
      Buddy - WTF is he doing?
      Before I start making some rash decisions, can someone tell me what the go is with Buddy and especially Beams?
    12. RPritch
      RPritch
      Also thinking atm that I'll likely do:
      GAJ - Dangerfield and Beams - Sidebottom.
      Thoughts?
    13. DannyG
      DannyG
      Tks WTC, I still have 7 trades. My thinking, is to down grade Gaz to either Bartel or Sloane to generate some cash for my last upgrade in DEF. I already have Boomer but not Siddey.
    14. DannyG
      DannyG
      Tks Hornet, yes, I am aware Bartel is a FWD. Most of my FWD's are M/F, I can swing one into the MIDS to make room for Bartel. Lewis is too inconsistent and I already have Selwood.
    15. DannyG
      DannyG
      One for the thumbs?

TU Bartel
      TD Sloane

Or comment. Tks in advance.
    16. Nick
      Nick
      Like most, have to punt Gaz after getting a lovely 20 points for his $700k price tag....

TU: Danger, no cash

TD: Priddis + Cash

17. Owen
      Owen
      Beams needs shoulder surgery apparently but is trying to play on as long as he can. The club wants him to have surgery now but it seems he's a stubborn bugger.
    18. Owen
      Owen
      I'm hoping Hodge continues to play, same as Lewis perhaps, as they both had weeks off due to suspension during the year. Also the hawks might be pushing Freo and West Coast for a top two spot.

Hopefully
    19. TopHeavy