Opinion Piece: The Booing of Adam Goodes

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jul 28, 2015.

By Iain on Jul 28, 2015 at 10:00 AM
  1. Iain

Iain Moderator Staff Member

There is no place for racism in the AFL.

It is as simple as that.

The booing controversy surrounding Adam Goodes currently, however, isn't quite as simple.

Goodes is an undisputed legend of the game; he has played 365 games (most ever at Sydney, 9th most in the AFL), kicked 454 goals (5th most at Sydney, 67th most in the AFL), won 2 premierships, 2 Brownlow medals and has been an All-Australian 4 times.

Those numbers stack up with anyone who has ever played this great game.

So why is he being incessantly booed at away games across the country this year? Racism appears to be the general consensus among the media and AFL luminaries, and even Goodes himself, but from what I have personally seen it's a lot less sinister than that.

The fact that Goodes has been racially vilified also cannot be disputed, there have been well documented cases of this happening repeatedly in the last couple of years, but to label the constant booing as racist in its entirety is simply not correct.

Take Sunday's game against West Coast as an example. Goodes was booed by what seemed to be the majority of the crowd whenever he touched the ball, and two spectators were ejected over racial abuse. Any more than zero incidents of racism is too many, but when there is a crowd of almost 40,000 people with a large number of them booing and only two cases of racism emerge it has to be evident that there is a separate issue at play here as well.

Again, racism should not be tolerated at any level of sport or society, but commentators also need to be careful when labelling things such as this as it can often be a case of adding more fuel to the fire.

I have talked to several people about Goodes' case, primarily people who have themselves booed Goodes this season, and the consensus I have received is vastly different to the one being portrayed by the AFL and media. The most common reason given for the booing? Goodes is a bit of a sook.”

Simply put, the more Goodes complains about his treatment, the more booing he receives. When he stands in front of the media and states that he is being booed and that it upsets him, opposition fans take note and will then boo him more the next time that they are at one of his games. When AFL executives, club coaches and even players stand up for Goodes, it is seen as akin to dobbing”.

Remember when you were in high school and that kid who was getting picked on complained to the teacher, who then told everyone to stop picking on them? What happened? Inevitably, that poor kid got picked on even more. I'm not condoning this sort of thing, for the record, but it is something that I feel really needs considering here.

]Coupled with this is the fact that those members of the crowd that have booed Goodes are being called racists, and their only right of reply is essentially through further booing next time they see Goodes at a game. If someone called you a racist, would you respond positively?
    ]

Ryan Crowley, Hayden Ballantyne, Lindsey Thomas, Jordan Lewis, Sam Mitchell, Jobe Watson. These are just some of the names that have been repeatedly booed by AFL fans either this year or in recent seasons past, so why is Goodes any different?

In any team sport these days a hostile away crowd is part of the game. If you want proof, just take a look at the US. Crowds are often heard chanting you ****ed up” when (primarily) opposition players make mistakes, when an NFL team visits the Seattle Seahawks they are certain to have to waste valuable time-outs as the home crowd makes so much noise on defense that the offensive players can't even hear each other yell, and professional athletes such as LeBron James are the subject of chants ranging from MVP” at home games to arsehole” and you're a flopper” (accusing him of staging/diving) at away fixtures.

By booing Goodes, the crowd are involving themselves in the game. If they can upset Goodes on the field, and in turn affect his performance, it will benefit their team and they most likely will do so. On the whole AFL spectators are an intelligent group but, like all groups of people, there are some that are ignorant, not very bright or simply racists. These people need to be informed that their behaviour is not acceptable and will not be tolerated, but calling on all fans to not boo any one player is in my mind a step too far.

From my personal experiences, I have given Lindsey Thomas a huge spray while he was lining up for goal just last season. I informed him that I thought he has staged for free kicks in the past, that he wasn't capable of kicking the goal and that maybe he should consider retiring, just not in those exact words. The end result was Thomas slotting the goal to give North Melbourne the lead and then turning to me after the kick and with a big smile giving me a fist pump. For me, this is the perfect reaction and the appropriate one. Lewis Jetta's response to the West Coast crowd on Sunday is another example of what I would consider a perfect reaction, he kicked a goal and celebrated with a war dance aimed at the hostile crowd.

In the last few days several figures in the AFL have offered their viewpoints on this matter, such as Melbourne coach Paul Roos being quoted as saying If Adam feels it's racist, well, it is racist”. I'm sorry Paul, but I really don't think it works like that. There is certainly an element of bullying involved, but if the majority of fans booing are booing for reasons that have nothing to do with race, how can it be racist? Sydney player Lewis Jetta also stood up for Goodes and stated that as a legend of the game he should be shown more respect. I would actually argue that he is being shown respect, if Goodes wasn't a great player and had no impact on the ground then no-one would bother with the booing. The fact that he is capable of turning a game single-handedly, coupled with the fact that he has admitted that the booing affects him, are the reasons opposition fans will continue to boo.

I have to say here that I personally have never been the target of discrimination, other than the ordinary. I don't know what it is like to be racially vilified, and as such can never truly understand the issue from the perspective of the victim. I also don't claim to speak for everyone booing Goodes, as much as any other person I can only go by what I know and have personally observed. I can also appreciate that racism is a blight that needs to be eradicated, but labelling anything negative against someone of a different ethnicity as racist is an act of racism in itself. ‘You can't treat someone differently, just because they are different.' Why not? ‘Because they are different.' See the problem there?

Obviously this is a complex issue, and almost every person will have their own opinions on the matter. Like all matters in the AFL this one will eventually be resolved in time, but in my mind this is an issue that will most likely go away as soon as everyone (now including me) stops talking about it so much.

The opinions contained within this piece are those of the author and the author alone, and they do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of TooSerious.net.

Comments

Discussion in 'Blog' started by Iain, Jul 28, 2015.

1. tAdmin
      tAdmin
      Bwahahahah.

Whoever you've been listening to is either misinformed or straight up lying.
    2. melbandy
      melbandy
      I agree with H
    3. Lucas
      Lucas
      I think Jetta is going to cop it in the next few weeks for backing Goodes.
    4. Lucas
      Lucas
      Completely correct here. Russell Jackson put up a neat summation of the arguments in this article on the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/28/adam-goodes-why-his-critics-arguments-just-dont-stack-up

Basically this is a racially motivated attack on someone complaining justifiably for being treated appallingly.

The fact that people are still complaining about his treatment of the '13 year old girl'.

Here's a few facts.
      She called Adam Goodes a rock ape.
      Goodes pointed it out, not knowing who did this.

Let's remember again it was indigenous round (supposed to be a celebration of the indigenous cultures of Australia) and regardless of whether there should indeed be a round of this nature, the climate was a heightened one.

Goodes later met with the individual and helped her to understand the significance of her comments. He expressly was concerned for her (lack of) education about racial matters and not judgmental.

This is the A1 perfect response to deal with such an issue.
      Identification. Education. No Judgment. Reconciliation (if possible)

For this, people call him a sook. What a crock of <what Ben used to write here>.

He's also been criticised for wearing an Invasion Day shirt. I think it's highly relevant that he did so. I'm not sure how the British arrived by I don't think it was bearing gifts of tea and cookies (apart from Batman...whose 'gifts' were misinterpreted as purchasing rather in the traditional gift exchanges of cultures meeting together for the first time...)

I could go further, but think that any actions that allow racists to do their thing unfettered is an issue.

I've got no problem with Goodes being booed for something he does during the game, or if he's playing against his old club (can't see him playing vs North Ballarat any time soon).

I boo Selwood for ducking which I think is technical and against the rules, but I don't boo every possession, and I think he's a class act, much like Goodes, even though at times he can look petulant when his team loses.

Goodes is getting done for being a vocal advocate for his race. It's not as though he is sooking and doing nothing about it either. He's setting up educational opportunities and doing his bit. He's in the habit of raising awareness of things we can all do to reduce disadvantage. Sook Sook Sook.

The issue is it's constant and it's got a racial edge.

Basically a message from the Australian people: 'If you're indigenous and you let us know about the fact that aboriginal people have 20 years less life expectancy, or have no formal recognition in the constitution of our country, you're a sook. Sit down and shut up and be our Uncle Tom Australian of the Year'

I'm sorry but the booing must stop.

Until of course he slides in with his feet and breaks the ankles of your full forward. Then - go to town on him. Make it footy and match context related and not race-based.
    5. Lucas
      Lucas
      Yep he's certainly in the Leigh Matthews and Greg Williams class of snipers.
    6. Iain
      Iain
      Hopefully not.

This week has already seen a massive uproar about the whole issue so with Goodes taking personal leave due to the effects whatever their reasoning before I think the majority will stop
    7. Lucas
      Lucas
      The only thing I will say is freedom of speech is there to provide people with an outlet to say what they wish in an open forum so that they can stand by their comments without fear of reprisal.

There is a key element of the Goodes treatment that is a direct response to his comments on race issues, and is being delivered under a cover of darkness.

You are free to speak in this country so long as you do not break religious and racial vilification laws, which were written to protect minority groups from persecution for a very solid reason.

These crowd based actions are providing a cover for racial abuse to go on unfettered, and in so doing are actually diminishing free speech of those who disagree.
    8. walesy
      walesy
      Goodes was awarded his AOTY award *due* to his work with the indigenous community!

He didn't just fly the indigenous flag afterwards, nor was he awarded it for being just a footballer.

Completely agree with him being targeted over other indigenous players for putting his head above the precipice though.
    9. Iain
      Iain
      This is probably Lucas, and I mean absolutely no disrespect here (I actually enjoy most of the debates we've had), one of the only things that I agree with you on.

When the booing is coming from a motivation of racism, absolutely it should be stamped out.

If people do not know why they are booing, it should also stop.

In this particular case the fact that it has clearly had such a big impact on Goodes, whether we think it's racist or not, it should also stop. We do need to show some empathy towards other people.

My main point is that there are those people that are legitimately booing for reasons directly related to Goodes' actions while playing AFL, which means that I don't think we can simply label every single instance as racist and leave it at that.
    10. Dun1
      Dun1
      The fact is 80% of the people who go to the footy are mindless bogans and 100% of those who boo come from this category. My suggestion is if someone next to you boos take a photo of them and post it on social media.
    11. stripey
      stripey
      Sorry Walesy, i can only plead ignorance on his work in the community... athletes have historically done well in the AOTY award which makes me question why they get the award.

Its a different debate but i'm pretty sure in most cases there would be more 'remarkable' Australians making contributions and achievements than these guys. Sure they're nice people and i'm not discounting they did make some contributions to society but seriously, pick people that have beaten all comers on the world stage or cured cancer or are making thousands of peoples lives better somehow!

Mark Taylor
      Steve Waugh
      Pat Rafter
      Allan Border
    12. graeme
      graeme
      i really hope that you are wrong Dun1 in your assertion that 'The fact is 80% of the people who go to the footy are mindless bogans.' Could you please quote a source for this statement?

If the demographic were correct it would be a sad indictment of our game. What advertiser (other than, perhaps, a body like TAC) would then wish to be associated with the AFL?

I do agree with you though that 100% of those who boo come from the mindless category. IMO, a benefit of the debate - and it is a debate we should have - would be if just one of those who has booed Goodes came to realise the unnecessary hurt caused by their action.
    13. jo
      jo
      If this was a player who came out as being gay who copped homophobic slurs and was broadly booed by crowds, regardless of the state of play, it would be a strong signal to any other gay player to stay firmly locked up in the closet.

Would every booing spectator be booing because they hate gay people? Id think not for even the vast majority. The thing is that participating in a large group in an action that is making a person feel vilified, threatened and discriminated against due to their sexual orientation is cruel at best.
    14. TopHeavy
      TopHeavy
      To me, it all comes down to what Adam Goodes represents. He isn't just an indigenous player that cops boos. He represents Aborigines and Indigenous people, is outspoken and well-articulates racism issues. He has stood up against racism on the football field, been an Australian of the year. He's more than just a footy player.

I think people are threatened by that and find it hard to accept. A form of tall poppy syndrome where they hope booing will make him less confident in speaking out and bringing these issues to the forefront.

I'm not labeling anyone or everyone as racists that boos, most are sheep or just kents for kicking a guy while he is down.
    15. walesy
      walesy
      They had a pretty bad run with Border, Tubby and Waugh getting their awards for Cricketing excellence.

Rafter though, set up a charity back in 1999 and donated a chunk of his winning to the Starlight foundation, but I can't seem to find anything on said charity, so it was probably just a tax dodge. :D

Tell you what though, next time I see Geoffrey Rush walking down the street, I'm gunna boo my lungs out! :D
    16. TopHeavy
    17. tAdmin
      tAdmin
      I too think it's a tragedy when advertisers decouple themselves from myself and my interests. I would not be a man if I did not have my products and accompanying jingles.
    18. stripey
      stripey
      And don't get me started on the King of Moomba!
    19. chris88
      chris88
      (As a disclaimer I wrote something about this the other day - I thought I'd add it below FWIW)

You know what this isn't just about Adam Goodes.
      In fact, the booing of Adam Goodes underpins a greater sickness we have in Australian society – this sickness that those in privileged positions in our so-called “lucky country” don’t like having their privilege, their position of power, challenged, called out, questioned by someone who is willing to stand up for their side of the story.
      I look at this and relate it back to who has the 'positions of privilege in a society'.

Those positions of privilege stretch far wider than simple race.

In some countries, race is absolutely a determinant. In those countries there may be other determinants - gender, religion, socio-economic status.

To use (video) gaming terminology - being a 'white male' in many parts of the world is equivalent to 'easy mode'.

For centuries white males in many countries have held the privilege. Have held all the aces. Put the qualifier 'middle-class' or 'educated' on the front of 'white male' and that adds further privilege.

And of course, privilege is a compounding factor in many cases - being a white male for example often leads to easier access to education, a greater likelihood of being middle-class, etc etc.

So those that move to challenge this privilege, whatever part they might be challenging, can often be vilified.

Because there are plenty of people in positions of power and privilege who really don't like the idea of perhaps having to share that, or perhaps having to even surrender just a tiny little bit of it to allow someone less privileged to take a couple of well earned steps up the ladder.

Adam Goodes challenges those in positions of power and privilege. And many feel threatened by it.

Along similar lines, there are those of different religions that challenge the perceptions of those (mostly white Christian types) in positions of power/privilege.

There are women who challenge the perceptions of gender equality and can ask uncomfortable questions of those in positions of power and influence.

Even someone like Rosie Batty, who has stood up in recent times and said that more needs to be done to protect women, address domestic violence, etc etc ... there's criticism that has headed her way from some quarters.

(Strangely, the level of criticism for both Adam Goodes and Rosie Batty has increased since becoming Australian of the Year and thus having a platform from which they can express their challenging views)

Why? Because she has perhaps stuck her head above the parapet and dared to challenge entrenched dominant positions of certain people in society.

It is the challenging of people's positions that brings about this reaction. People don't like hearing uncomfortable truths. People don't like being presented with unpalatable parts of their psyche or their society and being told that, perhaps: 'You know, really you could do better'.

You speak truth to power and you'll get whacked down, because power doesn't like being challenged. Some will consciously doing the whacking, others will do it without thinking.

I don't pretend to know what Adam Goodes' experiences are. Nor would I ever know the experiences someone like Rosie Batty has endured.

But I respect the fact that they are willing to challenge those with power and influence. To ask questions, to seek out justice/fairness/a fair go/change/whatever on behalf of those whose experiences they share.

And if they have to keep repeating the message, I suspect it is because people aren't listening. Maybe by listening we can move from 'Oh, this same message again' to a position of 'OK, where can we actually go from here. What can we actually do?'
    20. chris88
      chris88
      Further to this - if you stick your head up and say uncomfortable truths in this country, you often get whacked down.

And it doesn't just go for 'loud' voices like Adam Goodes either.

Bachar Houli isn't exactly a massively outspoken person in terms of his faith and the like, but you can bet there's a subsection of society that views him - his profile, his beard, his name, his religion - with suspicion.

And you bet that sub-section of society is waiting for him, ready to smack him down if they get the chance.

Thing is, Bachar hasn't given many people that chance. He is relatively quiet. Does his community work quietly, speaks quietly, etc.

But when he did give them the chance, when he did stick his head up above the parapet back in 2012 when he urged the AFL to set in place quiet places/prayer spaces at AFL venues that people of all denominations could use ... the critics lined up to wallop him.

He dared speak up, challenge the prevailing viewpoints. And people like Jeff Kennett and many others launched some really spiteful attacks.

Did he speak at the top of his voice about it? No. But he put his head above the parapet for a second or three - long enough to hear the bullets whizzing by.

Does Adam Goodes speak at the top of his voice about issues? Maybe yes. And the bullets whizz by his head too. Maybe the only difference is that there are more bullets because Adam Goodes is a louder, larger target.

But either way, this is the way things seem to work. Those that speak up, that challenge power and influence, they cop it.