ORFFA Round 10 Teams and Banter

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by Bandit, May 19, 2022.

1. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

Round 10 – AFL Round 10
    Date - Friday 20th May
    THEME - Indigenous Round

To coincide with the first of the AFL's two-week Sir Douglas Nicholls Round commemorations, we at ORFFA HQ will also mark Indigenous Round and with it continue to recognise the contributions and legacies of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders people and culture.

Sir Douglas Nicholls Round also carries with it the theme of acknowledging the 30th anniversary of the Mabo decision, the legacies of the decision and the efforts of the late Eddie ‘Koiki’ Mabo.

Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles v Gundagai Grasshoppers
    Wagga Wagga Wombats
    v Iron Knob Codpieces
    Foul Bay Chickens
    v Larrikin Lagoon Lefties
    Lovely Banks Lilacs
    v Dunsborough Dung Beetles
    Gariwerd Cockatoos
    v Cradle Mountain Devils
    Nareewillock Nuffers
    v Marble Bar Misfits
    Venus Bay Vultures
    v Birdsville Battlers
    Charlies Opening Spelunkers
    v Wineglass Bay Packers
    Mount Beauty Uglies
    v Whitsunday Warriors

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bandit

Our team to take on the Packers @Tracey

upload_2022-5-20_15-7-51.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Conversation during the selection meeting at the Bulls Hit Tavern. "We'll just cruise along and pick up another four points", I said. "Are you sure" chels said, "we are playing snoz's mob". "Oh", I said, "in that case I guess we'll get an earlier MSD pick".
    Playing tonight:
    D - Nic Newman
    I - Tom Papley, Lochie O'Brien

• Like Like x 3
  4. snoz

snoz Moderator

You know you always turn up to play the Hoppers Graeme, don’t be messing with me !!

• Like Like x 2
  5. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

OK, so I owe an apology to my opponent from Marble Bar this week, as my team appears to have not saved and updated from last week's line-up.

I'm filthy about this - which Jen will attest to as she heard me when I saw my team yesterday evening. So I'm now missing about 4 guys I wanted to bring in - including Rhett Bazzo I think - and have two or three doughnuts. Guys were playing so well as well.

Hard lesson that this is why we have this thread - in case of issues like this. So lesson learned and the team will be entered here next week.

• Like Like x 3
  6. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Cradle Mountain Devils Round 10 team:

Out: J Steele (shoulder), J Gunston (ankle)
    In: S Pendlebury, H Morrison

Def: D Rich, N Vlastuin, D Heppell, J Bowey (J Laverde)
    Mid: S Pendlebury, D Zorko, J Redden, Z Jones
    Ruc: T Nankervis
    Fwd: J Gresham, A Naughton, T Membrey, H Morrison (B Brown)
    Int: R Marshall, J Lever (L Bruest)

Round 9 wasn’t a good weekend for Jack’s with three of the four Jack’s on the CMD list suffering an injury, another Jack – Redden played well but fell just short of reaching triple figures, scoring 99. The Devils acting captain for Round 9 and best on ground in the 2021 Grand Final Jack Steele suffered a shoulder injury late in the second quarter against Foul Bay and is expected to be out for six to eight weeks. Forward Jack Gunston injured his ankle in the second term against the Chickens and Jack Mahony injured his ankle playing in the seconds.

Cradle Mountain captain Scott Pendlebury returns after missing one week with illness. With Steele out Pendles moves back into the position he spent the majority of his career, that of Devils M1. The second in is forward/mid Harry Morrison who will be a starting forward.

The Devils have their biggest fortnight of the 2022 ORFFA home and away season in the lead up to the mid-season break, having an away game against the third placed Gariwerd Cockatoos in Round 10 before hosting the ladder-leading Venus Bay Vultures in Round 11.

In the first five years of the ORFFA from 2012 to 2016 the Devils and Cockatoos were battling it out for the title of the ORFFA’s most mediocre club, with both sides consistently finishing in the middle of the pack and making only one finals appearance each in this five year period.

It was a very different story in the next five years from 2017 to 2021 with the Cockatoos finishing in the top eight four times and the Devils making the top eight in all five seasons, culminating in winning the 2021 ORFFA Premiership. Cradle Mountain attempting to finish in the top four for the fourth consecutive season are in sixth position with five wins and four losses, two games behind the third placed Cockatoos and fourth placed Cows on seven wins each. The Cockatoos best ever finish at the end of a home and away season is fourth in 2018.

Whilst the Cockatoos and Devils have graduated from playing for the mediocrity cup this weekend’s encounter could have big ramifications on the top four at the end of the season, particularly if Gariwerd are victorious. A win at home by @anthak ’s Cockatoos would increase their gap over the Devils to three games, have them on track for their best ever finish and make a CMD top four finish very unlikely. If the Devils win they will reduce Gariwerd’s advantage to one game and be within striking distance of the Cockatoo’s given that CMD have the superior points for.

• Like Like x 3
  7. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Well, we gave it a shot - would have been our best shot if chels had not interfered at selection - still came up about 150 short. Excellent side you have assembled. Still kicking myself for suggesting you go all out when Oliver was auctioned and you beat me to him. Scored about 1330, the reality check will be complete when we see other sides' scores.

Oh, and @Bandit - will it even be a treble? :p

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bandit

Gutted, I was optimistic at 65 minutes, then had the rug pulled out from underneath me... I don't have any other words

• Like Like x 1
  9. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Any early info guys? Should I be humming to myself or cursing TiB ??
    In the words of the magnificent Stevie Nicks “I need to know” repeat repeat repeat :p

• Like Like x 1
  10. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

It will be sunny in Heavy land this week amigo - very sunny.

Q: With so many great musos, why have bad taste in music?

• Like Like x 1
  11. HeavyMen

HeavyMen Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Graeme, lovely to hear. Surely not suggesting that Stevie Nicks is “bad taste” I love her voice with & without the Mac
    But hey each to their own :)
    Rhiannon rings like a bell through the night
    And wouldn't you love to love her?
    Takes to the sky like a bird in flight
    And who will be her lover?…

12. chris88

Apols for the delay on the review - a lot of real life in the past couple of days.

Will get onto it ASAP, most likely today.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bandit

Just like the white winged dove @HeavyMen

• Like Like x 1
  14. chris88

• Like Like x 2
  15. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for this interesting preview DMA. I’ve only just seen it now after a busy weekend.

Well done on your win. Your team is clearly one of the benchmarks once again this season. Always tough to beat.

• Like Like x 1
  16. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Have you heard her rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone?" Priceless.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bandit

No I haven't... time for a google