Round 11 teams and banter

Discussion in 'ORFFA' started by chris88, May 27, 2022.

1. chris88

chris88 1000 Monkeys at 1000 Typewriters Staff Member

Round 11 – AFL Round 11
    Date - Friday 27th May
    THEME – Bring out your Dead Round

Traditionally, in times of plague and pestilence, those who had succumbed to illness were .... no, hold on - this is just a key line from an old Monty Python sketch.

We here at the ORFFA have far more consideration than that. Thus, during these times of plague and pestilence, we EXPLICITLY REFUSE to use this Python-esque phrase, and instead request that ORFFA coaches respectfully consider who they might carefully remove from their current playing list (either by trade or delistment) prior to our always-fun Mid Season Draft.

Hold on, what's that? The name of the round is ... what? Oh.

Gundagai Grasshoppers v Wagga Wagga Wombats
    Waikikamoocow Incorrigibles
    v Foul Bay Chickens
    Iron Knob Codpieces
    v Lovely Banks Lilacs
    Larrikin Lagoon Lefties
    v Gariwerd Cockatoos
    Dunsborough Dung Beetles
    v Nareewillock Nuffers
    Cradle Mountain Devils
    v Venus Bay Vultures
    Marble Bar Misfits
    v Charlies Opening Spelunkers
    Birdsville Battlers
    v Mount Beauty Uglies
    Wineglass Bay Packers
    v Whitsunday Warriors

2. chris88

Annotation 2022-05-27 091615.png

Team this week to take on the Dungbeetles.

So many players on the fringes who can't get a game.

• Like Like x 1
  3. anthak

anthak Moderator Staff Member

Last chance this week for all our fringe-droppable players!

4. Bandit

Bandit Moderator Staff Member

My team is in but can’t screen shot it for here sorry

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

upload_2022-5-27_18-23-28.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. snoz

snoz Moderator

Do you think we could change full lock out to the end of friday nights game or perhaps the start of the first Saturday match ?

I’m just up this morn, 615am, and can’t make any changes after final Sunday teams were announced an hour ago as Swans Tigers match started 20 mins ago. TMcDonald now an out but can’t move him from my starting 15. Tks ! @Len

Last edited: May 27, 2022
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

The mob of cows to take on the chooks looks like:
    D - J McGovern, R Bonner, R Burton, N Newman (M O'Çonnor)
    M - B Crouch, T Mitchell, B Parfitt, D Prestia (114) (L O'Brien)
    R - R O'Brien
    F - J Dunkley, Z Bailey, T Sparrow, B Close (J Finlayson)
    I - B Williams, K Coleman (T Papley 75)

Best of luck @ChiefRussell

8. Bandit

I’m open to any and all suggestions for improvements, what day the masses?

Personally for me, I’d be comfortable with the start of the first Saturday afternoon game (no real difference between end of Friday night and start afternoon game)

• Like Like x 1
  9. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

Should we agree to a change,we would need to write this so that it is the start of the first game after the opening game(s) of the round so that we cover Thursday night starts to a round. Or what ever day the idiots at AFL house decide.

• Like Like x 1
  10. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

The cows and chooks having a good old fashioned tussle. Overnight my calcs have it as:
    the bovine CO2 emitters (1040 / 11 with Burton, Bonner, Newman and B Crouch to play) lead the world's most popular animal protein source (919 / 9 with Goldy, Saad, Howard, Elliott, Silvagni, and Ziebell yet to enter the fray).

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  11. chris88

Just on lockout, agree maybe we should discuss a change over the break. The way things have been in WA with Kate outs and other stuff has often left teams in the lurch.

I'd be in favour of a first game Satursay lockout, just to allow good scope to get Sunday player selections right.

• Like Like x 1
  12. graeme

graeme Well-Known Member

My rough count has the chooks (1368) getting the chockies over the cows (1355). Well done chief

13. snoz

snoz Moderator

That works. Would appreciate the first Saturday match as lockout. Otherwise I’ll have to start getting up at 4am on Friday’s !!!

14. dmandrews

dmandrews Well-Known Member

Cradle Mountain Devils and Venus Bay Vultures added another chapter to their rivalry in Round 11, clashing at the Devils Den. In the previous seven matches between the two clubs from 2018 to 2021 Venus Bay had five wins and two losses to have the better overall record however both the Devils victories had been in finals to have the superior finals record of two wins and one loss.

After Round 10, 2022 the Vultures ranked second in the ORFFA with 1,335 points per game, less than 25 points per game ahead of the Devils 1,314 points per game that ranked third in the league. In head to head combat Venus Bay won their first 10 games of the 2022 season to be on top of the ladder, four games ahead of the fifth placed Cradle Mountain who had six wins and four losses.

In the most recent encounter the arch-rivals engaged in a shoot-out and the Devils recovered after a slow start to reel Venus Bay in and win the 2021 Grand Final by 72 points 1,466 to 1,394. On the weekend Venus Bay played a very similar game to the 2021 GF and despite no player scoring 120+ delivered a fantastic team performance on the road and with five tons and another four 90’s amassed a total of 1,401. VBV centurions were defenders Dan Houston (118), Bailey Dale (111) and Sam Docherty (107) along with midfielder Luke Parker (116) and ruck Oscar McInerney (112)

The performance of the Devils varied greatly from position to position with three ruck eligible players scoring 390 points between them at a superb average of 130 points each including the best two players on the ground, ruck/forward Tim English (160) and ruck Toby Nankervis (134), however Cradle Mountain's seven defender eligible players had a weekend they would rather forget, each scoring sub 75 and accumulating just 407 points between them at an average of 58.1 points per player. CMD had a total of four tons with midfielder Jack Redden and forward Tim Membrey both scoring exactly 100.

Unofficial Round 11, 2022 result Cradle Mountain Devils 1,266 lost to Venus Bay Vultures 1,401 by 135 points

Venus Bay Vultures enter the 2022 ORFFA mid-season break undefeated with a record of 11-0 and are the first team to start an ORFFA season 11-0 since the Vultures themselves four years ago in 2018. The Vultures went on to win all 17 games during the home and away season but were upset in the quarter finals by the Devils 1,219 to 1,434.

Due to COVID-19 there were no ORFFA finals in 2020. The Vultures and Devils have met in the past three finals series, in the middle campaign the Vultures on the road thrashed the Devils 1,510 to 1,149 in a semi final on their way to winning the 2019 premiership.

Congratulations on the Vultures win @Fitzy. Venus Bay are ideally placed to finish in the top two at the end of the home and away season along with the Grasshoppers whilst the Devils going to the mid-season break with a record of six wins and five losses will be battling it out with the chasing pack for third to eighth. It will be interesting to see if the Vultures and Devils meet again later in the year for the fourth consecutive finals series.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the writeup @dmandrews ! Interesting history we have, I didn't realise we'd met B2B2B in finals!

Backline certainly playing their role for me in the first half of the year, consistent triple figures and the least points scored against, coincidence...? Haha

Here's hoping the year isn't a replay of 2018 for myself, I'd prefer a loss now than come finals however if I can manage to do both then I certainly won't be complaining

• Like Like x 2
  16. Bandit

Positional changes have dropped, me likely

17. chris88

Geez, not cracking 1000 is disappointing.

The overhaul continues.

• Like Like x 2
  18. CursingFijian

CursingFijian Active Member

DUNGBEETLES with 2 in a row!

It's now officially a surge!

• Like Like x 6
  19. snoz

snoz Moderator

Did we resolve this by chance?
    I essentially lost my round this week by not being able to update my team at 5am Friday morning, one hour post final Sunday team were listed.

20. Bandit

Not resolved as yet….